From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 Nuzyael 720

+2
Kugald Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

8 Nuzyael 720 Empty 8 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:12 am

The warband begins to stir as the first rays of sunlight break their way through the shuttered windows of the Daas clanhouse in Asarna.

As you begin to go about packing your sleeping gear you hear the movement from behind closed doors indicating that the other members of the clanhouse are now up and moving about.

Soon the clanhouse is alive with activity young Reike is running around swinging his imaginary sword, while the older members begin to prepared a meal. Ashaal offers you all to share in the morning meal.

Looking outside you see the rain has stopped. The ground is sodden and muddy underfoot.

The morning is warm with only slight breeze from the south east. There are no clouds in the sky revealing a brilliantly blue sky.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

8 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 8 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 am

Kugald is awake early, as soon as the first rays of sun lighten the morning sky. He hauls himself out of bed and goes around and wakes up the other members of the party.

Then, he shakes out his clothes that he had left to dry and gets dressed quickly. "Right, everyone, up and at'em. We have a long way to go today." The weaponcrafter packs up his gear and dons his armor and straps on his sword.

"Barak...and anyone else who's load is slowing them down...pack up your excess gear seperately so we can load it on Gauk, and Thorin's horse too, if necessary. We will make better speed if none of us is over-burdened."

GM wrote:
Soon the clanhouse is alive with activity young Reike is running around swinging his imaginary sword, while the older members begin to prepared a meal. Ashaal offers you all to share in the morning meal.

"Thank you, mi'lady, a quick bite if you don't mind. You have been most hospitable and generous." While everyone is eating, Kugald calls Ashaal aside. He discretely passes her four small silver pennies, rejecting any protests. Quietly, he says, "It is not for the hospitality, I know you don't expect anything for that, all Daas are welcome in our halls. It's just a little 'pin money'* for when the travelling peddler comes by." He smiles warmly. "It was cold and wet last night, the sight of your warm hall meant a lot to me and my men."

Kugald rushes through his own meal and is soon out in the stable saddling up Gauk. He leads him to the front of the clanhouse and starts loading up Barak's extra gear and that of any of the others who want to lighten their load. His actions make it obvious to the others that there is no time to dawdle.

He shakes Ashaal's hand at the door. "Please tell me your husband's name, so if I see him at the muster I might thank him for his family's," he messes Reike's hair as he speaks, "fine hospitality and warm welcome." He leans over to shake Reike's hand. "Thank you for helping me with Gauk last night. You keep up your sword training and listen to your Ma."

He looks around at the warband. "Time's wasting boys, we have a lot of ground to cover today."

TTYL

- Kerry

* Most thrans would be self-sufficient for the majority of items, but small, difficult to manufacture items like pins and needles would have to be purchased for cash from travelling peddlers. Since items like pins were of most importance to the women, they often kept a small stash of 'pin-money' to buy small luxuries for their families and themselves.
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:20 am

Barak is happy to be up early. He'll greet everyone as they rise. He'll get dressed back in to his normal travel clothes and gear (including his knife). He roll up his bedroll and reattach it, then he check all his gear, quickly, for a final time. Satisfied at completing his morning routine, he then takes his firemaking pouch from his knapsack and puts it in to his purse.

He then greets Ashaal warmly and has a large, if somewhat hurried, breakfast.

When Gauk is brought round, he'll load on his spear, shield and knapsack. Since he thinks the weather will stay fine [Weatherlore to check] he'll also put his thick sheepskin fleece on the horse to.

He turns to Kugald "I had best be off if I am to go in to Rojanstad and still catch you up on the road. If I get to Upsala before you I will wait, please do the same for me. It occured to me last night that neither Borygg or Erdick are known in Rojanstad; perhaps one of them could join me on the trip. Borygg said he is accustomed to scouting, and he seems nimble on his feet, so I don't think he'll slow me down. What do you think?"

He'll prepare to move out, west along the road, checking his belts are tight, his knife is secure etc, whilst waiting for Kugald's reply.

[OoC: He won't leave the thran until: 1) He has an agreement where they will meet if they don't encounter each other on the Upsala road and 2) he has had a reply from Kugald about Borygg/Edrick]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:46 am

While Erdrick is not the first to rise this morning, he is certainly not the last, for who could sleep through Kugald's morning routine Wink

Erdrick ponders the quest ahead of us, as he slowly eats the morning meal. Once done, he prepares to leave.

On Barak's suggestion for either him or Borygg to split off with Barak, Erdrick has no problem with travelling to Rojanstad with Barak. "If Borygg has no preference to stay with the group or go to Rojanstad, I wouldn't mind the trip to Rojanstad myself, so long as we are clear on where we are planning to meetup."

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:30 am

"Good idea Barak. I think both Erdrick and Borygg should go with you. The rest of us will skirt Rojanstad and head for Upsala. Who ever arrives their first will wait for the others. Agreed?"

Once everyone is ready, the group heads out of Asarna, just before the last rise when Rojanstad comes into sight, the larger group splits off, skirting Rojanstad to the south. The remaining three proceed into Rojanstad to find Madrin.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:41 am

Jurri will compose a brief bit of poetry (Oratory 80, specialized in Skaldic Poetry, however Neil handles that) to Ashaal's beauty and hospitality (and Reike's future skill as a warrior).

Once the band is on the road again, he will keep a careful eye out behind them as they leave Asarna.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:05 am

Ashaal seems almost embarressed by your kindly words and offer of coin and the lady says "My husband's name is Fingaal" she answers Kugald. "Fingaal would say 'be a friend to your friends. Meet a gift with a gift, a smile with a smile and a lie with a pretense of not noticing' I thank you for your kind offer".

Jurri composes his poetry and all that hear it find the words elequont, the tempo inspiring and the meaning beautiful. Ashaal says "I thank you, young skald for your beautiful words." A tear seems to fill her eye as she bids each of you farewell as she waves goodbye from the clanhouse door.

Leaving the clanhouse behind you the rising sun begins to warm your backs, the activity around the thran is begining to increase with women and children out in their gardens gathering herbs and tending the gardens - the day looks to be bright and sunny but the road between Asarna and Rojanstad is a little more muddy than when you last travelled this route.

From the crest of a small rise the smoke from the hearth fires of Rojanstad can be seen in the distance, the warband split company and arrange a meeting point in Upsala.

The warband now less Erdrick, Barak and Borygg continue to head west. By mid morning you have arrived in the thran of Upsala.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:00 am

Having been last to bed Algared is also last to rise. He like the others shakes out is dried clothes. He enjoys the hospitality of the host and eats what is offered to break his fast and gladly takes a handful of dried fruits which he munches upon as he prepares he gear, upon hearing Kugald's offer to carry excess weight on the horses. He ensures that he carries his shield and spear and wears both broadsword and knife over his Gambeson whilst his helm he will sit upon his head as the party leave Asama.

The sun is warm and he is greatful for the lining of the helm which heats up in the sun, and whilst uncomfortable is thankful he cast Chalsea's sponge only a couple of days ago. The party make a brisk pace and is isn't long before they are looking upon the hearth fires from Rogenstad and they arwe farwelling their new companions before heading towards Upsala.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Hovik is in a great mood. He pats his well-fed stomach and thinks to himself, "Hanging out with Kugald has it's benefits." He's still a little sore from yesterday, but not too sore to enjoy the walk.

When the group gets close to Rojanstad, Hovik says again, "I still think you should send Neirin and Thorin up the Nupon road. If that's the way he went, we'll feel like fools for not checking today." But he knows Kugald will blow him off. That doesn't bother Hovik. Tracking a spy is a fine amusement, but Hovik is more interested in studying the changes in vegetation as the road traverses the valley.

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Hovik wrote:"I still think you should send Neirin and Thorin up the Nupon road. If that's the way he went, we'll feel like fools for not checking today." But he knows Kugald will blow him off. That doesn't bother Hovik. Tracking a spy is a fine amusement, but Hovik is more interested in studying the changes in vegetation as the road traverses the valley.

Algared can barely contain his annoyance, Hovik never gives up, refusing to accept that a leader may not always accept every item of advice. Groaning loudly, Algared Says 'Yes, Hovik we know, you have made the point, And I still think splitting into a thousand smaller groups is not in our best interest as well, Kugald has heard all the suggestions and reasons given. as our leader he has decided our path. Now for once just give it a rest would you and give me some peace." As soon as he has finished speaking Algared stops, letting the others walk ahead 10-15 paces so he can avoid his desire to throttle Hovik.

Last edited by Algared on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Kugald turns away, suddenly intensely interested in looking out over the fields, so that neither Hovik nor Algared can see his smile of amusement...those two, so much like two old women.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:57 pm

Algared wrote:Algared rolls can barely contain his annoyance

edit: "Algared can't contain his annoyance." Wink

Hovik tries his best to assuage Algared's anger. "Come on, Algared. Let me talk. It's all I know how to do. You guys all have big weapons and shields and the ability to use them. You got magic spells and pretty voices and knives you can shave your balls with. You all have clans and family and people that love you in Ygesdram. You will all be heroes when all is said and done."

"Me? I've a knife I don't know how to fight with, a cloak two winters old, and some funny-smelling herbs. I eat when I work, and that hasn't been too often. I've none to love me, and nothing to fight for. And when this war is over and the skalds of the Daaslund are singing tales of your exploits, I'll still just be Hovik Helgelen, the homeless, hungry herb-grinder."

"My solitary consolation is that the mighty Kugald Daas, Warband Leader and Hero of the Leim Shore, still occasionally bends his ear in my direction. I imagine that he sometimes listens to my advice - I don't know if that's true - and it lifts my spirits to think that I have some small part to play in his epic life. Years from now, when the skalds are singing stories of your exploits to your grandchildren, I'll be able to say, "Kugald the Brave? I knew him, and gave him counsel." And with that I will be content."

"So, please, Algared, don't begrudge me my talkative nature."

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 am

Jurri listens to Hovik's lament, and is inspired. He recites an impromptu verse in his Skald's voice (very deep), as he contemplates the as-yet-unsung Hovik's Saga.

Two white cloaks upon his gray shoulders
Inside, the bite of an unseen wolf,
Flesh-reaver in hand, no stranger to blood,
Cuts that heal, drive back sorrow:
A gift given coldly, with care,
Another breath drawn,
Warriors fail, what honor is earned
Warriors rise, honor renewed.

He looks back at Hovik. "You two should fight more often."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:51 am

Hovik laughs. "Why couldn't you sing like that for Gerherbt!"

--

OOC - I'll let you in on the joke. Rob missed a couple days when Hovik and Jurri were in the Gerherbt clanhouse. I filled in for him and posted Jurri's part in the plan. In my posts I composed a few lines of really crappy doggerel for Jurri to sing about the injustice done to Hervold. Really, really crappy doggerel.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:41 pm

As the boys chat and banter back and forth, the warband makes it way around Rojanstad’s fields, skirting the perimeter and trying to stay our of sight of the village and its occupants.

Assuming they do not encounter any Rojanstad villagers, the warband continues until they meet the Upsala road and turn due west on the road. Once on the road, they pick up their pace and make for the thran of Upsala.

Having only been there the night before (OOC: Boy, yesterday sure seemed like a long day!), they wave hello to the villagers as they return. As agreed, they wait in the village square for the other four members of their group.

Kugald draws water from the well for Gauk and Thorin’s horse.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:49 am

The sun continues to shine from a cloudless sky, warming each of you, a slight breeze gust from the north west and the day's weather is truely enjoyable.

It is now mid morning and you have been standing the market square in the village of Upsala for a little more than 3/4 of a watch when you first spy two of the members of your warband approaching along the road to the east.

The men enter the thran and you are able to identify Erdrick and Barak, they are able to find you waiting in the square with little effort....

Last edited by GM on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:51 am

::waves::
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Immediately after reaching Upsala, Hovik asks, "Has anyone checked to see if Gerherbt tried to hire his way across the river here? He probably would have gone up Milnheim instead, but what else do we have to do while we wait for the others?"

(OOC - I'm a bit slow in posting this, but I expect this will be a routine exercise in futility anyway.)

If no one objects, Hovik asks Thorin to accompany him and he heads down to the riverside. He asks the locals whether anyone has tried to hire his way across here, or up to Trond, or anything else unusual.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:10 am

Making your way to the docks Hovik and Thorin can see that it would appear as if the whole fleet has been moored up. Obviously the muster has called the fisherman away and the boats sit idle at the dock.

You are able to find several people to ask this question to, but all answer in the negative. No one fitting the description given of Gerherbt has tried to purchase travel in the last few days.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 am

OOC: I agree we need to check the docks, but I am TRYING not to get too far ahead of the GM.

"Hail Erdrick and Barak! Where are Madrin and Borygg? I thought you were all going to meet us here?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 am

> The men enter the thran and you are able to identify Erdrick and Barak <

[OoC: So what happened to Borygg? Did we get feed up with his constant jokes and poor singing and murder him along the road?]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 am

Kugald says "Hail Erdrick and Barak! Where are Madrin and Borygg? I thought you were all going to meet us here?"

"Its been a long trek, and we're not even greeted by the offer of an ale!" Barak smiles to show he dosn't really mean it.

"I met with Madrin. He has no news of Reike or interest. He told me that it was you that Cunate had sent to find Reike, his mission is to check the ledgers to ensure that Clan Gerherbt has paid its dues. He is not going to come to us. In fact he was barely willing to talk."

"Whilst we were in Rojanstad it was obvious that something was not right. Though we don't know why. People wearn't working the fields, all the men, such as there were any, were gathered around the valhajar's house, and there was a strange atmosphere. I've already said that I wonder if the Gerherbt stayed at or near the thran. Other than clan Daas the only men were the ancient, perhaps the fit men have been mustered by Reike for his own purposes? To strike at Dasslund when the Jarl is waging war?"

"As for Borygg, we thought that if the Gerherbts thought that we were gone, they might do what ever they are up to more obviously. They can't be too blatant about it - with the folk in the Daas hall about, but if they thought no one was directly watching... anyway Borygg was to wait behind in concealment to see if anything developed when we left: either suspicious or returning to their normal activity. He'll be along shortly. We can check out this thran whilst we wait, or we can go back up to Rojanstad together and have another search of the place."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected typo)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:19 am

"It seems to me cousin, that maybe Gerberht or his cousin may be calling their own muster, not working the fields, gathering around their Valhaker's hovel, could it be they plan a revolt and even hope to seize Rogenstad? We know, now that they are not here and that no boats are gone. If they aren't here then I'd say if they plan to go to Trond they'd head for Milnheim. But tell me, if the King says don't support the defence of Froyby, would it not make sense to try seize a thran or two while the Daas are preoccupied and hope for support from Trond after you have what you seek or believe you have succeeded?" Algared looks about the group, "We searched the for tracks from Rogenstad and found none. There are more than one household of Gerbhert in Rogenstad you searched only one househould. We've trekked to Deja and now here without sign of him. I still believe he is in Rogenstad or near by and may be planning open rebellion against the Daas." Algared shrugs expecting once more to hear the wails of others and goes to the well to draw some water. As he ladels a cup from the bucket he says, "which is easier, to leave your clan to serve another or seize a thran when you have the majority and the thran expects no danger from within. Remember there was no guar on the gate when we arrived." looking at the ladel Algared adds, "I'd rather use a ladel than haul up the bucket, I'd rather try seize a Thran than run to a different Jarl when my hope is to be confirmed Jarl in my own right."

Last edited by Algared on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited spacing)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

"Having trudged halfway across Dasslund, we might as well check out Milnheim. We can probably go there and be back at Rojanstad by nightfall. Or maybe better still, maybe two of us go to Milnheim, and the rest go back to Rojanstad and meet Borygg there. I am happy to go to Milnheim and I am sure Hovik wants to check out his theory for himself, if Kugald can spare his thrall [OoC: I am assuming that is how Hovik was introduced to Barak). We would then march to Rojanstad to meet you."

"If Reike Gerherbt is planning rebellion, then the Daas clanhouse is mortally threatened, but so would we be if we returned. I spend too much time in the mountains to care much about musters. Does anyone else know how many men Rojanstad is meant to send, and whether or not they went to Ygesdram? What could Reike muster of his own clan - if he was to take everyone who can fight? A score men, a hundred...?"

"If that is what he is doing we need to get evidence and take it back to the Jarl. But, we went from Deje, Asarna and now here, and there are stll, what I take to be, Gerherbt men here. So he hasn't acted in full force yet."

"Lastly, is it possible that the accusation is false, and Reike is innocent, and all he is doing is hiding in fear of his life. When game knows it is being hunted, it goes to ground."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 pm

“Ale? Who has time for ale?” as Kugald greets his cousin with a firm handshake. “So cousin, what news from Rojanstad?”

Barak wrote:
"I met with Madrin. He has no news of Reike or interest. He told me that it was you that Cunate had sent to find Reike, his mission is to check the ledgers to ensure that Clan Gerherbt has paid its dues. He is not going to come to us. In fact he was barely willing to talk."

“Ah…that is the Madrin we know and… love,” sarcasm drips from the last word.

Barak wrote:
"Whilst we were in Rojanstad it was obvious that something was not right. Though we don't know why. People wearn't working the fields, all the men, such as there were any, were gathered around the valhajar's house, and there was a strange atmosphere. I've already said that I wonder if the Gerherbt stayed at or near the thran. Other than clan Daas the only men were the ancient, perhaps the fit men have been mustered by Reike for his own purposes? To strike at Dasslund when the Jarl is waging war?"

“It seems the further we tramp around Daaslund, the more Rojanstad seems to be the centre of the action.”

“Why would Clan Daas muster their remaining men? Where are the Clan Gerherbt men?

Barak wrote:
"As for Borygg, we thought that if the Gerherbts thought that we were gone, they might do what ever they are up to more obviously. They can't be too blatant about it - with the folk in the Daas hall about, but if they thought no one was directly watching... anyway Borygg was to wait behind in concealment to see if anything developed when we left: either suspicious or returning to their normal activity. He'll be along shortly. We can check out this thran whilst we wait, or we can go back up to Rojanstad together and have another search of the place."

“Good plan.”

Barak wrote:
"Having trudged halfway across Dasslund, we might as well check out Milnheim. We can probably go there and be back at Rojanstad by nightfall. Or maybe better still, maybe two of us go to Milnheim, and the rest go back to Rojanstad and meet Borygg there. I am happy to go to Milnheim and I am sure Hovik wants to check out his theory for himself, if Kugald can spare his thrall [OoC: I am assuming that is how Hovik was introduced to Barak). We would then march to Rojanstad to meet you."

“I agree.” [OOC: This assumes Hovik is back from checking out the Upsala docks.] “Most of us will wait here in Upsala for Borygg to report in before we determine what we should do.

“Thorin, I want you to take Hovik and ride to Milnheim at best speed to check and see if Reike has crossed the river there. If you find sign of him…or not…come back. Once we get word from you two and Borygg we can decide our course of action.”

“Go quickly and come back quickly. If we have to leave before you return, we will leave word.”

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next