From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

16 Nuzyael 720

5 posters

Go down

16 Nuzyael 720 Empty 16 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 am

Each of you are awoken well before first light, by the light of a lantern you pack your sleeping gear and other equipment to make ready for the days march.

You have time to wash, the chill of the early morning mixed with the cold water quickly wakes and refreshes you. Donning your clothes, you sit and break your morning fast with some dried meat and fruit, washed down with some small ale.

After finishing your meal you don the rest of your equipment and make your way by moonlight down to the market square. By the time you arrive there are already several hundred men already assembled. You only wait is not long before it appears that everyone has arrived.

Women and children have also gathered in the market, they have come to see off their loved ones. Wives hold back their tears, daughters hug their fathers one last time, while young sons eye of the fathers with pride and envy. Before long there is a stir amongst the crowd, the Daas has arrived with his entourage of huscarls, they look a formidable band as they stand surrounding the Daas.

With little more than a nod the warband begins to head off, intially towards the south, while another heads east. Skirmishers and flankers can be seen running ahead to protect the warband along it's journey. You think to yourselves there should be little to harm us while we are in Daaslund but it appears the Jarl is taking no chances or perhaps just exercising his scouts now to keep them on their toes so that they are ready and alert when they arrive in enemy territory.

You find yourselves towards the head of the column, probably a hundred warriors or so in front of you. The Daas rides his horse for now so that he can move along the length of the column. Thorin is positioned towards the front within the first twenty warrior or so.

The warband makes slow progress compared to the speed of a few individuals, not aided by the fact that everyone is burdened by the extra equipment each man must carry.

With the sun beginning to rise the road ahead becomes easier to travel, the sunrise lights your way south. With the coming light the Daas spurs his men on saying "we need to be in Deje tonight" and so under the extra weight of your equipment you quicken your speed.

The warband of some seven hundred warriors continues its journey south, passing through several small thrans, before passing through Namjen. Another crowd of well wishers has gathered along the road to wish you all good luck and that they hope you all return safely.

You do not stop to eat, taking whatever food you can on the march. You only stop briefly every 1/2 watch or so and are quickly back on the road to continue your march.

From Namjen you turn towards the east towards Syske, passing through two smaller thran before arriving in the thran of Syske. Again warned by the scouts of your arrival another crowd of well wishers has assembled and like the previous one wishs you well and that you all return home safely.

From Syskes you turn south again following a trail towards Asarna. You arrive in Asarna late in the afternoon and soon camp is made. While you make your camp stragglers can be seen entering the camp for nearly 1/4 watch after your arrival. Gathering around campfires you rest weary feet and aching backs from the grueling march.

Last edited by GM on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

16 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 16 Nuzyael 720

Post  Barak Daas Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:54 am

At the end of the march, Barak will turn to Kugald "Are we marching on the Tejaal then? I thought we were going to Froyaheim."

He tried to find a fresh water stream to refill his water flask, before it gets dispoiled by seven hundred others, and pickup some fallen wood/branches. Unless there is a no fire rule, he'll cook himself some "stew" from some of the dried provisions thickened with bread and seasoned with his salt and herbs. His pan can probably hold enough for a few people if they want to contibute to the pot.

[OoC: though I am sure Barak has opened his cookery skill before, it should now definately be open. I hope he dosn't make too bad a hash at the strew ;-) ]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 am

As the warband gathers after the march Algared will take any water skins from the band that need filling and fill them at the well, on his return he will will suggest they find some drop wood for a cookfire. Post edited by GM. Barak has started the cooking by the time you return with the drop wood

[OOC: if Barak has just has his cooking skill opened Algared's skill should be aleast 30 higher than Barak's].

As the meal is eaten Algared will Ask Kugald what roster for watch the band will keep. It seems wise to get into the routine. After the meal Algared will clean his pots and pack them away before checking on each of the band and seeking to know how they have fared after the march. Should any have complaints of twisted ankles or sore backs resulting from the march, he will, if they are willing offer to apply a cooling wash of water that may alleviate the pain. Having seen to the welfare of his companions Algared will sit with his companions in the warmth of their fire.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:15 am

[I've no doubt that Barak started cooking in the wilderness five years back, but no doubt his skill falls under Survival. Cookery, like Awareness didn't make the top five for improvement. I regret the latter ;-)]

Once he has cooked and eaten, Barak clears up and makes a bivouac for himself (and will help others who are struggling) [OoC This is something he should be good at with his survial skills]

When the subject of watches us raised: "I imagine the Jarl will have arranged his own guards. But I will stand a watch. Since we're a big group [I presume the 'Kugald' contingent is more than just the PCs] maybe sone of us should watch tonight, the rest the next day or the day after.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 am

"I'll sit first watch with you Barak, I fully expect you are right, The Daas has likely made arrangements none the less it pays us to be vigilant, i'd rather post a guard than assume someone else is unless we're told otherwise."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 am

Please no one else tell me they are cooking or gathering wood to start a fire please read my post carefully.... Laughing

I will take somethings as given when you are marching, so when I post that you have done something there is no need to repeat it. You will only need to make mention if you wish to do something different or do not wish to do what I have posted at all.

Thanks

No one from your warband has been selected to stand guard tonight.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:30 pm

At the end of the day, Kugald still seems hardy and not particularly tired (Sta 18). When the column comes to a halt, he gathers his men about him for a bit of food and rest. "Be sparing with the food," he comments, "we don't know how long it will have to last us."

Barak Daas wrote:
At the end of the march, Barak will turn to Kugald "Are we marching on the Tejaal then? I thought we were going to Froyaheim."

"No cousin. Although neither the Daas nor Thaldirs have seen fit to share the secret with me, it is my guess that they have found some hidden path through the mountains. It is to this path we march."

"No need for a watch tonight. The huscarls have arranged different bands to take it each night. Tonight, we rest."

"Uhhh...Barak, I think it would be better if Algared took over the cooking...before you burn our meager rations to a cinder!"

After eating, Kugald rolls up in his blanket and cloak and is soon snoring away.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:04 pm

"Jurri, if I'm not imposin' on you, how about a little song of the Elkyrie before we knock off?"

If Jurri is game (is Jurri a devout or moderate follower of Sarajin? I'm hoping so...), I'll do a little Oratory upon awakening (unless we get mysteriously slaughtered in our sleep Twisted Evil ) if he'll follow it up with some appropriate poetry or song. The oration will be something to raise the spirits and maybe give a chance for others to gain a couple PP through some praises to Sarajin?

(I don't think I get PP for doing this. It's my JOB! But will this be beneficial to others? Even if it's not, I'm still playing it as per Vidar's nature.)

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm

With darkness near you sit around the fire enjoying its warmth, you can see a number of men stand and take their posts as they stand their watch, eager for when they too might sleep.

Thaldirs approaches your warband "I see you have held up well after our march" he nods approvingly. "Good!" he adds. "If this walk is anything like the Jarl expects we may very well lose some of our number before we even engage our enemy"

Sitting on his haunches with you he says "You warband will need to provide a guard for tomorrow night" as he takes a taste of Algareds food - he nods "not bad, Algared, not bad at all" he adds before standing up and walking off to chat with another warband.

Soon warriors everywhere weary with fatigue and their hungry bellies full begin to sleep.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

"Well, Kugald. Looks like it's our night in the barrel a-comin'," Vidar says, fixing his strange gaze directly on you. "As Algared here tells me you're the leader of this 'rag-tag group of marauders'," he says with what you can only assume is a grin behind that bush of a face, " -- and if you don't mind havin' me along for the ride -- you tell me when to watch, and I'll do my share."

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Whilst Thaldris is sampling Algarad's food (he'll keep his cordon bleu to himself) he'll say to him: "I do not understand, Froyaheim is to the east of Ygesdram yet we march south. Are we going over the mountains to Froyaheim? If so, I think you will find us to be your men: we have my experience in the hills and mountains whilst hunting, and we all have the strength and stamina to be able to cross them and still fight. Now we've even been blessed by a man of god who will ensure that the Elkyri fight along side our family."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 am

Vidar Orbaason wrote:"Jurri, if I'm not imposin' on you, how about a little song of the Elkyrie before we knock off?"

If Jurri is game (is Jurri a devout or moderate follower of Sarajin? I'm hoping so...), I'll do a little Oratory upon awakening (unless we get mysteriously slaughtered in our sleep Twisted Evil ) if he'll follow it up with some appropriate poetry or song. The oration will be something to raise the spirits and maybe give a chance for others to gain a couple PP through some praises to Sarajin?

OOC: Yes, Jurri is fairly devout (Ritual SB16, 21 Piety) and has a good friend in Vidar's clan with whom he has spent many hours trading songs and tales. He's no slouch when it comes to storytelling, either (Oratory 80).

IC: "Of course!" Jurri smiles and pulls out his lyre (a relatively quiet instrument). He'll sing quietly enough to (hopefully) entertain those awake and listening, but not so loud as to wake or irritate those who've already turned in. (Singing ML 102, Lyre ML 75, if Neil is making rolls.)

As for a morning service, he's glad for a chance to work with someone else, and listens carefully to Vidar's words. He'll follow whatever theme Vidar sets and try to enhance it with music (drum, most likely) and poetry.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 am

GM wrote:
Thaldirs approaches your warband "I see you have held up well after our march" he nods approvingly. "Good!" he adds. "If this walk is anything like the Jarl expects we may very well lose some of our number before we even engage our enemy"

Sitting on his haunches with you he says "You warband will need to provide a guard for tomorrow night" as he takes a taste of Algareds food - he nods "not bad, Algared, not bad at all" he adds before standing up and walking off to chat with another warband.

Kugald nods thanks to the huscarl's complements. "We will be ready for tomorrow night."

Vidar wrote:
"Well, Kugald. Looks like it's our night in the barrel a-comin'," Vidar says, fixing his strange gaze directly on you. "As Algared here tells me you're the leader of this 'rag-tag group of marauders'," he says with what you can only assume is a grin behind that bush of a face, " -- and if you don't mind havin' me along for the ride -- you tell me when to watch, and I'll do my share."

"Rag-tag? Who's rag-tag?" Kugald says with mock indignation, "I will have you know I paid quite a bit for my fetching little ensemble," pointing to his new tunic and leggings (a rather garish plaid). He laughs, extending his hand to Vidar, "Welcome. It is good to have you, the addition of one more to our group takes us from a crude collection of brigands and 'ne'er do wells' to a full blown warband!" The weaponcrafter smiles, "Next thing you know, we'll have to get matching uniforms! Perhaps something in a plaid...." He breaks out in a laugh at his own poor joke.

Kugald savors the hot stew and enjoys Jurri's tunes. Soon, he is wrapping himself in his blanket and cloak. "I'm going to sleep and," looking around, "all of you best get as much sleep as you can. There will be none tomorrow night and you will still have to march the day after."

Barak wrote:
"I do not understand, Froyaheim is to the east of Ygesdram yet we march south. Are we going over the mountains to Froyaheim? If so, I think you will find us to be your men: we have my experience in the hills and mountains whilst hunting, and we all have the strength and stamina to be able to cross them and still fight. Now we've even been blessed by a man of god who will ensure that the Elkyri fight along side our family."

"Trust in the Daas, cousin. I think you will find he has his strategy well prepared. And no, we are not marching to Froyaheim...at least not directly." Kugald smiles, "I can feel it in my bones."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down