From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

23 Nuzyael 720

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

23 Nuzyael 720 Empty 23 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:56 am

It is just after high moon when it is time for Barak and Algared to be relieved.

The couple have done as they were told and have tried to make themselves as comfortable as possible in the main living area.

The hearth fire has died down to just embers now and the cold begins to seep into the room, the warband pull cloaks and blankets tighter around their shoulders.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

23 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 23 Nuzyael 720

Post  Barak Daas Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:22 am

Whilst guarding, Barak takes the opportunity now and again to check his gear. He'll hone out any minor nicks in his spear (more for the reassurance of doing something familiar than for any real need for the work) and he'll fit a bowstring and ensure it is taut and not fraying.

If the man is awake, Barak will say to him quietly "Thank you for not being stupid."

Barak then wakes Kugald and the priest and gives them time to be fully awake and on guard. He'll say to Kugald, "In case I don't get time to say this in the morning; consider carefully which cousin you want in the front line tomorrow. Algarad may not be good with a bow, but he does not feel confident with the shield and spear either. I can take his place, and I will get to the gate faster than anyone else. However, if you want me to pick of the targets, I'd best stay near this house. Firing a bow after running is not the best - believe me I have done it lots of times whilst hunting. A still and considered shot from cover is better."

Barak waits for a reply, before taking Vindar's sleeping place for the night.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Kugald listens to Barak's concerns.

"Are you sure you aren't a berserker?" he asks with a wry smile.

"Alright cousin, if you are all fired up to throw yourself against the gate guards, then by all means, who am I to stand in your way."

"You can join the other four. Erdrick, Borygg and I on bow should be sufficient."

"No one will be plodding. It is to be an all out sprint for the gate."

"There is a long time between the first light of false dawn lightening the sky over the mountains and dawn. If they are anything like us, the gates won't open until full light anyway. There will be time to prepare."

"We will take what we need from these folks, but this is no viking raid. These are our people, Menglana's people, and more importantly, our Jarl's allies' liege men. Once we take Froyby, we will march on Froyaheim. Do you really want to pillage those that will stand behind us while we fight the Ibanvaalese? One enemy at a time. Make too many and you will find us surrounded."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:Are you sure you aren't a berserker?
"Quite sure" Barak replies. "I am no hero, but I am concerned about throwing men in to melee, who are not so able to defend themselves. It should be armoured men at the front. Nor do I want to shoot at men tomorrow, without knowing if they are Ibanvaal or not. They probably are good Menglana too - subjugated to the will of Ibanvaal but wanting their freedom. However, it probably isn't a problem - taking the gates should be easy. Those who open them should not be armed. But who knows Sarajin's will?"
Kugald Daas wrote:Do you really want to pillage those that will stand behind us while we fight the Ibanvaalese?
"I don't. No. But we are not the only people who have eaten all our food. There are seven hundred men out there who are hungry. Unless the Elkyri are bringing us supplies, where else can Cunate feed his men? To reach Froyby we're going to have to live off the land, and that means the thrans. As much as I would like to hunt, the hunters could not provide enough game even if we could afford to wait for them to try."

Barak, then finds himself Vindar's sleeping space for the night...
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Vidar offers Kugald the chance (and we don't have to be specific) to "confess", if you will, anything that he might regret before tomorrow. Perhaps he has debts that have yet to be repaid -- material or ethical, or otherwise. If Vidar survives tomorrow and Kugald does not, Vidar will swear to deliver whatever verbal messages Kugald wishes delivered to others.

The same will be offered to the rest of the warband in the morning.

For his part, Vidar has no need for any words to be delivered but to his sister Hilfdien in Vulenheim: that her brother died in the service of the Lord of the Icy Winds, and that he relishes in combat on the fields of Talagaard.

Vidar can hardly contain his excitement for the encroaching martial challenges of the morning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Barak wrote:
"I am no hero, but I am concerned about throwing men in to melee, who are not so able to defend themselves. It should be armoured men at the front. Nor do I want to shoot at men tomorrow, without knowing if they are Ibanvaal or not. They probably are good Menglana too - subjugated to the will of Ibanvaal but wanting their freedom. However, it probably isn't a problem - taking the gates should be easy. Those who open them should not be armed. But who knows Sarajin's will?"

“I would hardly call Thorin someone who is unable to defend himself. And, Algared, Vidar and Jurri are all good militia men. The reason I have kept Borygg, Erdrick and myself back is for two reasons. One, the shield men don’t have any skill with a bow, so they can’t provide missile fire even if they wanted to. Two, by putting the more skilled warriors in the second line, they can shift around to support anyone who gets into trouble.”

“My father always said ‘a leader cannot lead if he is occupied with a one on one melee’.”

“There is a reason Jarl’s hold their huscarl’s in reserve to assess the situation, find the weakness and THEN charge.”

“…well, at least the SMARTER ones do. There are other schools of thought. The flying wedge with the Jarl in the lead charging straight into the enemies midst is another school. My father never agreed with it, and neither do I.”

“However, if you wish to lead the charge cousin, feel free. I will be there to support you.”

Vidar wrote:
Vidar offers Kugald the chance (and we don't have to be specific) to "confess", if you will, anything that he might regret before tomorrow. Perhaps he has debts that have yet to be repaid -- material or ethical, or otherwise. If Vidar survives tomorrow and Kugald does not, Vidar will swear to deliver whatever verbal messages Kugald wishes delivered to others.

“I have lived my life according to Ljarl. I have no fear in going to meet Sarajin. He will know my metal. My strength is his to command.”

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Algared looks up from his resting place,
"Barak, I am uncomfortable when forced to fight oppostie to what I find natural. As for armour? I am armoured as well, if not better than many. Though it is true my skills are not martial, I am not concerned. I know Kugald will be there if needed. And should fall... Sarajin will know I have done my best and given my all. I trust my companions will do their part." Algared chuckles wearily from where he lies as he recalls the childhood escapades, "besides if I'm not in the front How can Kugald do what he's always done and come to the rescue."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:36 pm

Kugald wrote:
“I have lived my life according to Ljarl. I have no fear in going to meet Sarajin. He will know my metal. My strength is his to command.”
Vidar smiles at his warband leader. "That is good, Daas. Very good." He leans back and his face tightens into a bushy smile: "I look forward to fighting alongside of you, both tomorrow, and in Talagaad."

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 pm

The night remains cold and soon it is time for Kugald and Vidar to wake the next watch...

The watch passes on to Thorin and Borygg. They wake and set the watch, pacing the hall in darkness. The cold keeps them moving as they nibble at the dried food hanging from the roof. Soon it is the turn of Jurri and Erdrick to take their watch.

They both rise and prepare themselves for the coming day, leaving their sleeping gear left out so as not to disturb the others with any noise they set the watch.

Jurri and Erdrick continue to wander the clanhouse in turns checking for signs of any disturbance. While Erdrick is checking the bedroom, he can see the first rays of sunlight creeping through the shuttered window. Returning to the main room he wakes the rest of his companions and both he and Jurri begin to pack their own sleeping gear, all the while watching the owners of the clanhouse. The husband returns his sleeping gear to his bedroom (under supervision).

As the wife goes about restarting a fire and preparing a meal for her family....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 am

The warband eat their morning meal in relative silence as they wait for the gatehouse to open. The warband take it in turns to watch from the shuttered window in the clanhouse bedroom.

After everyone has finished their morning meal Vidar gathers those wishing to attend the liturgy together, while Barak watches for any sign of the gate opening from the still shuttered window.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 am

The warband eat their morning meal in relative silence as they wait for the gatehouse to open. The warband take it in turns to watch from the shuttered window in the clanhouse bedroom.

After everyone has finished their morning meal Vidar gathers those wishing to attend the liturgy together, while Barak watches for any sign of the gate opening from the still shuttered window.

Vidar holds out his hands and requests that everyone participating should hold his hands. When you have done so, Vidar commences his liturgy.

A wave of euphoria rolls over each of you as Vidar rejoices and praises the Grey Slayer in all his greatness. OOC Each of you may pass on upto 10 peity points to Vidar. Let him know how much via your private chat section

The sun is not quite up, but the thran is beginning to come to life now. The locals are letting their animals out to pasture, women and children are out collecting water and slowly the thran is becoming more active. From the shuttered windows you can see that other clanhouses are beginning to open their windows and doors to let in the morning breeze and light.

The new day is dawning to be a good one, the sky is blue and mostly clear with only a few fluffy white clouds about. A gentle breeze blows in from the south west and it looks as if a very light rain may have fallen a few hours earlier with the ground outside still a little damp.

While waiting for the gates of the thranhold to open, you are startled by a knock at the door...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:40 pm

After breaking his fast and participating in the liturgy Algared prepares donning his armour. after some slight deliberation Algared chooses in the end to take the two trowing spears and rely upon his the broad sword in melee rather than the spear. He remembers well the impact of the thrown spear at the skirmish at the Leim river and fells slightly more free with the broadsword than the spear. leaving his staff sling with with his pack and spear he wears his gambeson, hoping it serves him and brngs better fortune than it did the ibanvaal warrior it once belonged too, he then wears his leather vest over the top of the gambeson and is suprisesd that he finds that even with the extra eatra weight he isnt as encumbered as much as he expected. He dons his newer 3/4 helm and fastens it secturely just before leaving the clan house and charging the gate.

Algared hopes half heartedly that they will take the gate completly by suprise and possibliy even even win the day before the main body of the Daas forces arrive but imagines such thoughts are but dreams. he wonders whether they souldf call out once in position for the DSaas andStorzar in the hope of drawing others to them. however given the the reception from theit hosts he imagines they will be relucatant lest they fail and suffer the retribution of the ibanvall dogs, who attack without warning. Algared decides to let Kugald make the decision, while calling out the Clans of Daas and Storzaer or even the kingdom name, would raise the alarm so will Thaldirs horn blast.

Algared poses the question to Kuglad, "So cousin as we charge shall see scream like the Elkrie headed to war and call our clan and that of the Storzar to arms, and hope that the rush and mnoise will totally confuss the foe. Orf let the horn announce the attasck has began?"

(total weight carried or worn 56.5lb /END 15= penalty 3.4t thus rounded down to 3)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

GM wrote:While waiting for the gates of the thranhold to open, you are startled by a knock at the door...

Jurri will quickly move up against the nearest point on the same wall as the doorway and listen carefully.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Immediately, Kugald puts his forefinger in front of his mouth, in an entirely unnecessary call for silence. He gestures for the band to flatten themselves against the wall or move into the bedroom out of sight.

Using his left hand, he takes the husband by his right arm. Kugald shuffles the man against the wall with the door. He unsheathes his dagger and uses it to gesture for the wife to answer the door. Kugald does not point the dagger at the husband, holding it to his right side, but his message is clear, ‘one wrong move and your husband is dead’.

Kugald waits with bated breath.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:08 pm

The woman nervously moves to the door. With a quick glance at Kugald she opens the door slightly. The voice of male greets her.

"Ah, Tessa, well met, where is Nial this morning, we have been waiting for him down at the docks, you know we can't put to sea without him" the voice says.

Tessa replies "He is not well this morning, he has a fever" pausing for a moment "he must have picked something up during the night" she adds.

The mans voice becomes quite concerned "then you should have the clanhouse open, let in the breeze and the light" there is silence for a moment before the man says "look let me run down to the docks and tell the men that there is no sailing today, I will then dash over to Gertruds gathering something for his fever and come back here and help you look after him" there is another pause "it must have been a long night it does not look like you slept very much at all"

"No it is alright, I will see Gertrud latter this morning and you are right I did not sleep well, I must have dozed off during the morning that is why the windows and doors are still closed, I thank you for your offer and should I need your help I will ask" she smiles at the the mystery man before closing the door.

You can hear footsteps fading off towards the shoreline.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Now that the litergy has finished, Barak gathers up his gear (spear, bow and shield) and waits by the door, ready to dash forth. "Someone from the second line should watch the gatehouse from the window" he says.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 am

"Well done, my dear. We will be gone as soon as the gate opens. How many men guard the gate to the thranhold in the morning?"

"Erdrick, can you take Barak's place?"

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:03 am

The woman shoots you a filthy look then shrugs at your question. It would appear that they hold no love for Ibavaal, but nor do they hold you in any favour.

Erdrick nods his head and replaces Barack by the window.

Everyone bides their time..... waiting.

Erdrick almost shouts before remembering where he is "THE GA, the gate its opening" he says in a quieter voice.

"There is only one man on watch by the looks of it" Erdrick adds.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:26 am

"Right!"

"Barak first, then Thorin, Vidar, Jurri and Algared. Borygg and Erdrick, we go next."

They throw open the door and charge.

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:35 am

Barak charges forward with spear and shield ready, aiming straight for the man on the gate. He yells "HALT" as he nears.

[OoC: Barak's aim is to try and attract attention / distract the gate opener (so he dosn't just close the gate again). His preference is to intimidate the person so the surrender (Barak is fairly large and strong, not to mention wild looking). If they look like they are prepared to stand and fight he'll aim to knock them down with a shield rush. He'll only use his spear as a last resort and will try not to kill.]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:44 am

OOC Does the gate open outwards? Also how far are we from the gate?

Gate opens inwards

The gate is about 180'/60m from the clanhouse you were occupying
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:52 am

The man at the gate carries a spear and shield and wears only cloth and leather armour, he has no helmut at all. He see Barak bound towards him screaming at him, behind Barak comes more of his companions.

Barak has to close some 60 metres or so all uphill to close with him.

Even from this distance you can see his eyes widen with fear, he drops his spear and shield and turns and flees directly away from you.

Two more men on hearing your charge and seeing their companion drop his weapons and flee appear briefly from around the edge of the gate, before disappearing back inside the thranhold.

Barak has covered no more than 30 metres or so when he like the rest of the warband hears the blowing of a horn from behind him. About 5 metres behind Barak is Thorin, another 2 metres behind Thorin is Jurri and then a few metres behind Jurri is Algared running alongside Vidar.

Now gathering outside the clanhouse is Kugald, Erdrick and Borygg bows at the ready with arrows nocked. By the time the archers are in position the fleeing man is disappearing behind the hill towards the far edge of the thranhold.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 am

Barak is sure glad he has had all that practice wildly chasing mountain goats up hillsides with his spear. He continue to close with the gate as full charge, and chase after than man, but no more than 6m (20ft) inside the gate, where Barak stops, shield up and spear at the ready, and looks cautiously around him. He then counts to sixty as slow as he can (with heart pounding from exertion and adrenalin) and then slowly back up to the gate: which by then is hopefully manned by the warband.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:07 am

"To arms! To battle! To Talagaad!" It's possible that some of you re-evaluate what you thought was a crazy-eyed expression on Vidar's face. In his apparent zeal, he may truly strike some of you as mad.

Once at the gates, Vidar locks shields with his mates and stands ready to defend. He plans to use his battleaxe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 am

Jurri sprints after Barak and Thorin, focusing on reaching the gate before the enemy can react. He is carrying his spear raised, ready to throw it.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next