From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28 Nuzyael 720

+2
Algared
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

28 Nuzyael 720 Empty 28 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 am

It is nearing the half way point of the second watch when Algared is the first to wake and as he packs away his sleeping gear and puts some more wood on the fire, Kugald and Jurri both awake.

Looking around the hall you notice that Barak has returned and is sleeping soundly.

Soon everyone except Barak is awake and you each go about your morning routines.

The day outside looks to be warmer than yesterday with a breeze blowing in from the south. Only a small part of the sky remains hidden behind white silky clouds.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

28 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 28 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 am

Having to bed after the rest, Algared says to he waking companions as he motions towards Barak, "Let him sleep a little longer, he returned after I lay down and was asleep."

Algared continues the preparation of the morning meal of a pot of oats as a warm meal and some dried fruits from the groups supplies.

"A shame we weren't here longer, I could have brewed up a little ale."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 am

Kugald rolls out of bed and stretches. "Well, that was a good night last night."

He packs up his belongings and puts on his armour and weapons.

"I'm ready to finish these Ibanvaalese buggers off. So, what do you think Algared? Another march today?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 am

"march or not I'm ready to send these Ibanvaaler's home, though i think after the last month returning to a quiet life will likely not sit well with either of us. " Algared continues with preparations, whether cooking, packing or donning his armour and prepares.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 am

Vidar awakes, packs, small talks, and awaits the orders of the day, pausing only to offer his morning prayers to Sarajin and the Elkyri.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 am

Amid the small talk going about the clanhouse this morning there appears to be some extra activity going on about the thranholds compound. Looking out the window you can see that the men from Ibanvaal are preparing to leave.

They have mounted their horses and are making their farewells to the Daas.

Soon the ride out of the thranhold gates and down into the thran itself.

Even though they have left there still seems to be more activity around the thranhold this morning than usual.

Barak begins to stir probably due to all the noise you are making as you go about your morning routines. Algared unconciously bangs a few pots as he prepares some warm oats for the morning meal, everyone washes their face from the water Kugald has drawn from the well this morning.

Your weapons and armour clatter and clink against each other as you don your gear.

Soon Barak is awake and looking worse for wear.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm

As Barak sits up, looking tired and a bit haggard, Kugald says to him, "So, what were you up to last night. You spoke to Thaldirs and then you disappeared without even a farewell. Some secret mission? Care to share?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Barak grins "Well you now how it is when your are a Jarl, in the middle of the feast, when you remember you've got a problem in the stables. So you go and find the most insignificant person you can lay eyes upon and tell him to go and sort out the muck."

He then reaches down beside him and produces a coiled rope "I did find this amongst the hay, I seem to remember you wanted some more rope, Kuguld."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 pm

'Well Barak we have something warm to break the fast, rise and wash then eat. Then get ready the Daas will have us gather, and since the 'guests' are leaving I imagine it will be sooner that later.' Says Algared and then with a glance in Kugalds direction asks, "that is correct isn't?"
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 am

Barak reluctantly gets up, picks bits of loose straw from his clothing, and does as Algarad suggests.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 am

Borygg gets out of bed, washes up, gets his gear packed up, and grabs something to eat. He is mostly waiting for someone to tell him what the plan for the day is.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 am

With the morning passing by you do not seem to notice much activity out of the ordinary. With the morning meal finished and the cleaning up completed you manage to get about a 1/4 watch to yourselves to rest, maintain your gear and squeeze in some training. With the hour of the 'thing' nearing you leave the clanhouse and make your way towards the gatehouse.

As you near the gatehouse you see the Daas with several huscarls in tow leave his clanhouse and make his way towards the gatehouse his path following yours.

As you approach the market square you can see that nearly the whole warband has gathered here to attend the 'thing'. There is a low murmur from the gathering as voices hint at what the meeting is for, some chat about last nights festivities others chat about local gossip.

By the time you have found a suitable vantage point from where you can see and hear the proceedings the Daas to has arrived and taken up a prominent position from where he can be seen and heard by all those assembled here.

"Well met, my warriors" as he raises his hands to indicate to everyone that he is speaking 'I hope those of you that attended the feast last night enjoyed yourselves and to those that did not get an invitation my apologies but a lack of space made it impossible for everyone to attend" the Daas pauses for a moment before continuing "we have some decisions to make concerning our future here"

"Our guests last night informed me that Prince Dagen himself marches at the head of nearly four thousand men" he pauses here as the voices of over six hundred men rumble as this information is revealed " they also informed me that his army will reach here in three to four days time" this time there is silence as he reveals this piece of information "and it would appear that Froyahiem has been taken"

Cunate raises his voice as he continues "Now our intial plan was to launch a diversion against Ibanvaal so that the defenders of Froyahiem would have time to prepare their defences and we might be able to draw off some of their manpower to slow down the siege of Froyahiem it appears that we may have failed to achieve this task. We need to decide what our next course of action will be" he gives the crowd a few moments to gather their thoughts before adding "we can stay here and fight and I think I need not make you out to be fools but six hundred against four thousand will be a hard fight, we can retreat back towards the mountain pass and perhaps lead the enemy through the pass and let them in through our back door or we could march south again and make our way up the western side of the river and return to Ygesdram along the trail on the western side of the Froya river" there is a rumble through the warband as the men begin to debate amongst themselves the ideas put forward

Cunate raises his arms for the warband to be silent "either of our options is going to be difficult to achieve and frought with dangers. Is there anyone here that has another option for us to consider?"

The Daas is silent as he gives those warriors assembled time to think....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Barak raises his arm and starts to make his way towards Cunate Daas, hoping to be acknowledged.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:15 pm

The news that Froyaheim has fallen and four thousand men march on Froyby shocks Kugald. He figured that the men of Froyaheim could hold out for longer than a few days.

He says nothing. Kugald turns inward, contemplating what their next move should be.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:41 pm

"Kugald when we were with the Storzar in Foryaheim, didn't he say he would lead his army to the north and try catch draw off some of the enemy or have I recalled incorrectly? If the storzar is still in the feild. The Dogs of Ibanvaal may be arriving with four thousands men and the storzar may well be follwing." Algared shakes Kugalds arm as he speaks endeavouring to break him from his shock. Yes dire tidings in deed if true, but even if four thousands do arrive what force from Menglana chases them. There is little option anyway as far as Algared is concerned. if they retreat and take the mountain pass again they are sure to be followed.

Algared pauses and waits for kugald to react to what he has said, algared is no warrior but his heart says fight for Menglana, for freedom, for home and friendship and family and the set of his jaw and steely look in his eyes say the same.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 am

[OOC: Neil, this would be a good point to show us the situation on a map. For instance, are these 4000 men marching south from Froyaheim, or from one of the passes from Ibanvaal? If we choose the option of the trail along the river, where would we cross?]

If Barak is not quickly noticed by the Daas, Jurri will call attention to him in his skald voice (he can easily silence any side chatter).

Post by GM The four thousand men are marching from Froyaheim. You would cross the river in the area where you crossed it when you exited the mountain pass and began your march up the eastern side of the river
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:09 am

As Barak signals to the Daas and begins to approach, Cunate raises his hand signalling for Barak to speak....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 am

Kugald looks at Algared, "Don't worry cousin, I am not in shock. I am just trying to think of a way out of this situation that will bring us victory and not just survival."

When the Daas acknowledges Barak his attention swings to his other cousin. "Let's hear what Barak has to say. I feel there is more to his absence last night than taking care of the Daas' horses. I wonder if he might have been sent to gather information. Perhaps he knows something that will give us another option."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Thank you Cunate for allowing me to speak. Those of you who know me, know that I am not a warrior by trade. It seems to me we have hard choices ahead. Do we fight the invaders here? Do we return home and face the prospect of fighting them when they invade Menglana next year? Is there another option? I have one. It is not a good one. But it may work.

How do you rid yourselves of a pack of wolves who are hunting for their cubs? Do you kill the raiding wolves? No. You find and strike against their den. With their pups dead, they move on or at least restrict their raiding.

Can we do the same? Can we strike against the Ibanvaal den? I suggest the majority of our army could move north to Froyaheim, giving aid if they are undefeated and retreating along the river to Ygresdram if we can do nothing to help. A smaller force of volunteers, maybe a hundred strong, retreats south and hides. Once the Ibanvaal army is past following our main force to Froyaheim, that detachment strikes in to Ibanvaal and destroys all that they can find. Killing their livestock. Burning their thrans to the ground. Sinking their ships. And stopping them from receiving supplies. When news reaches the Ibanvaalers of this then they may turn back home, or be forced to split their force giving Froyaheim a chance. If not, at least we will have our revenge.

As I said my Jarl, not a pleasant plan, but is it worthy of thought?
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Barak Daas wrote:Thank you Cunate for allowing me to speak. Those of you who know me, know that I am not a warrior by trade. It seems to me we have hard choices ahead. Do we fight the invaders here? Do we return home and face the prospect of fighting them when they invade Menglana next year? Is there another option? I have one. It is not a good one. But it may work.

There is silence as the warband settle down to listen to Barak....

Barak Daas wrote:How do you rid yourselves of a pack of wolves who are hunting for their cubs? Do you kill the raiding wolves? No. You find and strike against their den. With their pups dead, they move on or at least restrict their raiding.

There seems to be some agreement amid the gathering, men begin to nod as Barak continues

Barak Daas wrote:Can we do the same? Can we strike against the Ibanvaal den? I suggest the majority of our army could move north to Froyaheim, giving aid if they are undefeated and retreating along the river to Ygresdram if we can do nothing to help. A smaller force of volunteers, maybe a hundred strong, retreats south and hides. Once the Ibanvaal army is past following our main force to Froyaheim, that detachment strikes in to Ibanvaal and destroys all that they can find. Killing their livestock. Burning their thrans to the ground. Sinking their ships. And stopping them from receiving supplies. When news reaches the Ibanvaalers of this then they may turn back home, or be forced to split their force giving Froyaheim a chance. If not, at least we will have our revenge.

The more you go into your arguement the more jeering you begin to recieve. Men begin to call "what of our families!"
"you stay and fight, I have a home to protect!"
"how will we select those to stay and die!"

Cunate holds his hand up to silence Barak's opposition "Enough everyone!" he calls "this man is offering his thoughts as each of you are able to do here, do not give thanks for the day until the sun has set. We must let each man that wishes to speak the opportunity to do so and let him make his point in full!"

The jeers you began to recieve stop and Cunate signals for you to continue....

Barak Daas wrote:As I said my Jarl, not a pleasant plan, but is it worthy of thought?

From your intial ideas you get the feeling that the majority are against this idea, although there are a few nods of agreement that you can see in the crowd.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Barak having said his piece, edges back towards the back of the crowd. He is not suprised that it didn't go down well. He smiles ruefully at the thought that what people don't realise is that it will be their homes and families nexy year. Barak then makes his way round to where Algarad and Kugald are standing.

"I am obviously not yet ready to be a leader of men." he says "I wonder if there would be any more ideas put forward. Marching for home seems the best plan; but I don't fancy waiting for the Ibanvaal to invade Daaslund as they surely will do."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Vidar has an expression of interest and near-approval as Barak delivers his plan. His expression changes to blatant disgust at the jeers that pour in. Vidar has not yet decided whether or not to say something.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Kugald steps forward to speak, climbing on top of a barrel so the men can see him. His deep booming voice carries across the square.

"I have no fear of dying."

"I fear no IBANVAALESE SCUM!"

"I WOULD DIE FOR MY JARL," he pauses for a moment. He looks up at his cousin and then screams out to the crowd, "BUT...." (he pauses for a moment) "I WOULD MUCH RATHER THE IBANVAALESE DIE FOR THEIR PRINCE - - - SQUIRMING LIKE A STUCK PIG ON THE TIP OF MY SPEAR!"

"Brothers! Throwing ourselves at the invaders recklessly will earn us a place in Sarajin's Hall, but it will leave our women and children defenceless when we are dead."

"We need to KILL these bastards, but we need do it SMART. Like a mountain lion hunted by a pack of wolves. If the lion turns and fights in the open on the ground of the wolves' choosing, he will kill a few wolves, but the pack will rip him to shreds. But if he is smart and draws the wolves into his home terrain, where he can ambush them, thin their numbers and then draw them to a battle on the ground and at a time of his choosing, he can kill the entire pack."

"We must be the mountain lion, if we are to take down this pack of Ibanvaalese wolves."

Kugald pauses, looking out over the crowd, making eye contact with his extended family members, clansmen, friends and acquaintances.

"I support the Daas' plan to cross the river from Froyby to Tronad."

"Once across, we can leave behind a group of volunteers to fight a rear guard. They can make the Ibanvaalese think our entire army is in hiding waiting to attack them if they try and cross. They will shoot arrows at any who try and cross. We should leave all our horses with the rear guard. When the Ibanvaalese finally try and cross, the volunteers can mount horses ride like the wind. When they find a good spot, they can lay in ambush for the lead elements of the Dagon's army, hit them with a flurry of arrows and making them hesitate and fear every turn in the road, every clump of trees. Once the ambush is tripped, the rear guard remounts and rides again, they repeat this until they catch up with the main army."

"The main army would do a forced march from Tronad to Oderstad, just across the river from Froyaheim."

"If Froyaheim has fallen, we can march for Bergastad and join our army there. The road is narrow and we will be able to hold off any army trying to attack Daaslund long enough for our allies like the Daas from Myna to come to our aid."

"If the Ibanvaalese scum," Kugald spits on the ground noisily, "are lying and Froyaheim has not fallen OR the Storzar's army is still in the field, then we re-cross the Froya River and join with them to fight the Ibanvaalese together."

"Either way, we gain the time necessary to choose the best place for our main army to stand and fight...AND we find out for ourselves if these scum are lying about the fall of Froyaheim."

He looks to Cunate.

"Milord, my life is yours... do with it as you will. Just give me a solid bit of ground, a spear and shield and an endless number of Ibanvaalese filth to kill and I will be happy."

"If you choose this path, I volunteer to fight in the rear guard."

Kugald jumps down off the barrel.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:33 am

The crowd falls into silence as Kugald calls to his the other members of the warband.

They remain silent as Kugald continues to speak, soon some of the gathering begin to nod their approval of this idea. There are a few objections to the idea but over all this idea seems to have a better reception than the first idea.

As Kugald finishes, Algared leans in towards him and adds "If I recall correctly, there were several smaller fishing boats at Nyron or Lihea, I don't seem to remember which though, perhaps we could use them you take Tronad where most of the vessels are being docked and use them to take the rest of the army across the river" Algared smiles to himself as he speaks.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 am

Jurri speaks up after Kugald has finished.

"Let us see for ourselves what has happened at Froyaheim! Once our own scouts have reported back, we will be able to make a plan that does not rely of the truthfulness of the enemy."

"If it is as they say, that Froyaheim has fallen, then word of the Storzar's doom must be carried to Vulenheim and to each of the great clans. Our 600 might well become 6000 when the news reaches the right ears."

"My Daas, if you have not already done so, I urge you to send out scouts without delay. No matter what plan you choose, we must know the fate of our allies. I will go to Froyaheim if it is your will."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next