From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

29 Nuzyael 720

+2
Jurri Grebel
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

29 Nuzyael 720 Empty 29 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 am

Time: Beginning of the 1st watch to Mid 1st watch.

With Algared, Kugald and Jurri fighting off sleep the other members of the warband are trying to get what rest they can with the rain still pouring down.

Suddenly out of the darkness there is an crash and the sounds of splitting timber shatters the night. The halyards and rigging from atop the mast come falling down. Everyone attention is caught by this sound and soon everyone is scanning the darkness for it's cause.

After a few moments of confusion you discover that the boat has collided with the branches of an overhanging tree and that after an intial inspection you discover that the damage appeared to be far worse than it is. It would take less than 1/2 a watch to make the necessary repairs to the boat to make her seaworthy once again.

Kugald reaches around with his barge pole and discovers that the water is shallower on the starboard side than it is to port, not that much shallower but enough to be noticed. You are not stuck fast and it would appear that your mast has been dragged along a branch which has caused the damaged but you are still drifting with the current towards Froyaheim.

As yet you are still unable to get an accurate fix on your location.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

29 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 29 Nuzyael 720

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 am

OOC: I didn't imagine we would actually have the mast raised in these conditions, but since we weren't actually using it, I guess it's no big loss.

"If we're running afoul of trees, we can't be far from shore. Kugald, I don't advise it, but if you intend to stop, this may be your best chance. Whether we stop or not, I think we should lower that damned mast. It'll capsize us if we hang on something at any speed."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:25 am

"Zzzzzz" says Barak
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:29 am

"Agreed. Let's see if we can bring the boat to a safe spot and lower the mast."

[OOC: I presume the noise woke everyone up.]

"Ok, let's all give a hand. We need to get the mast untangled from the branches. Let's see if we can push the boat backwards off the branch and then lower the mast. Then, we will untie the rigging supporting the mast and lower it down safely."

[OOC: My experience with small boats is limited, though I do have a keel boat (sail boat) captain's licence in real life. I presume since several of us have seamanship skill, we have some idea of what to untie in what order.]

"Once we get that done, let's see if we can find somewhere safe to tie up until dawn."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:38 am

Time: Mid 1st watch

The boat was only momentarily tangled in the tree branches the forward motion and the continuing current forced the boat free from the trees.

Algared recalls from his piloting days a technique called kedging. Algared calls for Kugald to throw the anchor towards the starboard side. The anchor bites into the shallow water and draws the boat closer to the river bank, after several attempts the boats hull strikes solid ground. Kugald is the first to disembark and the water depth has dropped and is now around your ankles.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:47 am

"Let's get that mast lowered as quickly as possible."

Jurri will either help with the mast or the rigging, depending on where everyone else is located.

OOC: As I recall, this boat is only about 18 feet in length, so the mast can't be all that large. If whatever rigging there is is too tangled, he'll cut it free.

Neil, I'm picturing this boat as similar in size to a large pinda, but with a hull more akin to the merchantman illustrated in the Ivinia module. Is that about right?
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 am

The boat is indeed a small pinda (although probably given another name in Ivinia) I would think the mast would be at least as long as the boat, probably a fraction longer.

The mast is soon lowered and the boat secured to the shoreline. Your immediate surroundings would indicate that you are in a heavily wooded area.

There is a small respite from the rain underneath the foilage of the trees.

There is probably just under a watch left before sunrise will bring some light to guide you.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 am

"If we are going to lay up here kugald we should also rig a shelter, and try hide the boat from prying eyes, the weather at least may help us and at least our foes are hampered as much as well are." Algared helps secure the boat and lower the mast. "This would be a good time to change watch once we are settled as well."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 am

"I agree. Let's set up the sail as a makeshift tent and secure the boat firmly to the bank. Then, I think the first watch should try and get some sleep."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 am

Time: Mid 1st watch to End of 1st watch

The warband struggles with the sail as they attempt to form a crude shelter from the elements. After some time however, the sail is up and Kugald, Algared and Jurri have scrambled inside, Vidar, Barak and Borygg hover near the entrance trying to gain what shelter they can from the rain.

Towards the end of the watch the rain eases into a drizzle and then stops.

Soon the sounds of the creatures of the night can be heard all around. The occassional hoot of an owl, the crickets and frogs with their calls for a mate and the smell of new fallen rain permeates the air around you.

With only a few moments of rest Vidar, Barak and Borygg now fight the battle against fatigue as they struggle to remain awake and alert. Some whispered conversation goes some way in aiding their plight.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 pm

> Vidar, Barak and Borygg now fight the battle against fatigue as they struggle to remain awake and alert. <

There is no point all three of us being awake. What ever the others think we're not moving tonight. Normally I'd say only one on watch - but tonight I think two. One to wake the other up when they fall asleep. Borygg why don't you take a nap?
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:05 am

Obviously Vidar helps out with the mast situation as best as he can with his near-total-ignorance of sailing.

Vidar MAY be less-affected by fatigue due to his unfamiliarity with ships. He's a bit awkward and although he's not fearful of boats, he likely has a good deal of uncertainty about the goings-on. (OOC: At least, such is the case with his player!)

Post by GM Vidar is just as fatigued as the rest of the warband. He has been on the go since early morning and has not been able to get a good rest aboard the boat just like everyone else

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 am

Barak Daas wrote:Borygg why don't you take a nap?
"Sounds good to me." Borygg is soon sleeping.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch

With the rain now stopped, the wind brings a chill to the air.

Barak and Vidar huddle under their cloaks near the makeshift shelter. Inside Borygg, Algared, Kugald and Jurri attempt to get what rest they can. In an attempt to remain awake Barak and Vidar chat in whispered conversation with each other.

Soon the muffled snores of the men inside can be heard against the backdrop of noise from the nocturnal wildlife amid the trees.

Within hours the first rays of the sunlight begin to crest the mountains to the east and filter down through the trees.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 am

As the sky starts to lighten, Barak wakes up (just) Borygg: "You turn I am afraid mate." he tells him. "I hope the we stay holed-up for the day, and only move on in the late afternoon; we're all in need of the rest. You need to wake up one of the other sleepers in a bit, but, as for me, I'm turning in for a bit of a kip."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Hearing the others stir, Kugald rolls over, "Yes, we are going to hold up for the day. Get some sleep. We will talk about this at noon." He rolls back over and is soon sound asleep again.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Borygg, gets up, stretches, checks to see his gear is ready and weapons are at hand, then takes up his position at the watch.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:42 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch

With the sun beginning to crest the mountains to the east the light pushes back the darkness and even amid the shadows of the trees you begin to get a better look at your surroundings. As Borygg and Vidar stand watch over the sleeping warband they get a look at the crude shelter that was erected during the hours of darkness.

A light breeze wisps through the trees from the North East, the sky is almost hidden by the canopy of the trees above, however, the sky can be seen to the west from the river bank. The sky is blue and only partly hidden by white fluffy clouds. From within the trees visibility through the trees is no more than thirty yards or so in any direction. The other side of the river is approx one hundred yards away and you can see that on the other side there are fields, pastures and meadows. The occassional stand of trees can be seen as well.

From the river bank where the boat sits beached and tied off you cannot see the bend in the river from where you are.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Time: Mid 2nd watch to End of 3rd watch

The rain has stopped but for nearly the next watch drops continued to fall in decreasing frequency from the tree tops above. The rain had soaked the ground everywhere.

As the morning progressed Vidar found it increasing difficult to remain awake, having been awake now for over twenty four hours. Borygg finds himself having to wake the priest more often, until Borygg tiring of this wakes Algared and sends Vidar to sleep for a few hours before Kugald calls the meeting at high sun.

The morning remains pleasant with a slight breeze from the North East continuing to filter its way through the heavily wooded forest. Above the trees, white clouds can been seen partially obscuring the blue sky.

Borygg chats idlely with Algared as they stand watch. As the morning hours pass by it is soon high sun and Borygg turns out to wake the other members of the warband.

Everyone is awake although most still feel the fatigue of the last day wearing against them. Vidar, Algared and Barak appear to be the worst affected by the looks of them when they wake.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 am

When Algared wakes feeling so fatigued he he goes and washes then and redresses to try help himself feel a little better. He then goes to the boat and finally takes stock of the contents and vessel in the light of day, and their food supplies. Returning to the makeshift shelter he suggests they scout out a little to find the road, reasoning that if the Ibanvaal host have marched past recently then they will likely see evidence of their passage, but it will also given an idea how hidden they are from the road.

Once repairs are also made to the boat as required he will suggest that they rest the remainder of the day and night leaving in the morning. If opportunity presents itself Algared will rest or sleep after gathering some wood that will hopefully be able to be used here or at htier next camp as firewood once dry.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:56 am

Barak checks over the hull and mast for damage. He has at least had some practice at repairing fishing boats. Repairing it will be more of an issue since all he has is a chise.

Barak spends the rest of his time napping.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Once everyone is awake, Kugald will call a quick meeting.

"Well done everyone! We managed to grab a boat and escape Lihea without anyone knowing for sure who it was. We also managed to move some distance down river in the complete darkness without wrecking the boat or tipping over and drowning."

"I do not imagine that the Ibanvaalese have made much progress in such awful weather. That will work to our advantage and give us some time to prepare."

"Barak, since you are our only shipwright, can you please check out the boat and see what damage we sustained when we ran aground and when the mast caught on the trees."

"Algared, can you please do a quick inventory of what equipment and supplies we have."

"I doubt this is the best location for us to hold up and wait for the Ibanvaalese. Ideally, I would like to find a spot where the road is right down at the water's eastern edge and there is sufficient cover on the western riverbank for us to conceal the boat, make a decent camp and set up a sentry position to watch the road."

"Once Barak has checked out the boat, I suggest we cast off and move down river a short distance to find a better vantage point. After we do that, I think we could all use some proper rest. We will rig a better camp and perhaps look for some dry firewood."

"Any other additions, improvements or suggestions? Anyone against the plan, if so, why and what should we do instead?"

"Algared's proposal that we also check out the road on the far side seems like a good idea."

"Agreed?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Jurri will reiterate his comments for the benefit of the whole groups' discussion:

"I do not feel this is worth the price."

"Our primary task is to reach Froyaheim, verify its fate, and make contact with the Storzar or his successor. We must inform him of the Daas' plans, which I believe is the message Kugald bears, and gather sound intelligence to report back to the Daas in Ygesdram."

"Leaving secretly was important, but so too is reaching Froyaheim in secret. Travel by river is the best way to do that unseen and without harassment. It is also much faster that we can do even if we had horses. It provides a sure avenue, and - if done at night - one that cannot easily be countered by sentries."

"Last night's weather was bad, but not catastrophic, and no less miserable than if we had been afoot. Our mishap with the sail was unfortunate, but only because we selected a boat that had not lowered its rigging for the night (a fact that we overlooked completely, somehow). Moving with the current, our speed is not fast enough to cause serious damage unless we collide with rocks, which is very unlikely."

"I do not see that waiting here, even if we find a perfect hiding spot from which to observe, earns us much of value. First, it exposes us to discovery - we cannot succeed if we are seen, and we would likely be hunted down by whatever enemy force spots us. Secondly, we do not know when, if, or in what numbers the enemy is traveling this way. How long would we wait to ensure we had counted everyone? And if we do see an enemy force pass and count every man, what then? We could not get that information to the Daas before his own scouts would also have it, and the Storzar, if he still lives, is probably already much better acquainted with the enemy's strengths than we are."

"Time is essential for our mission, and in my view, that mission is paramount. I feel that we should rest until darkness and then resume our course to Froyaheim in concealment. There is plenty of danger ahead, especially if Froyaheim has fallen. We lessen our chances of success by delaying."

"That is my opinion. What others?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:06 pm

"The longer we stay in, what is now Ibanvaal, the greater the chance that we'll end up dead. Our numbers are so small that even the smallest patrol could defeat us. The more we travel by night the greater the chance we'll drown."

"I suggest we decide what our objective is and do it as fast as possible. Travelling by boat should be relatively safe and fast; but, I would travel by twilight: dawn and dusk."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:11 am

"Well, that is two in favour of heading downstream immediately. Borygg, Algared and Vidar, what are your opinions?"

"If we do continue downstream, I am in favour of Barak's idea, we travel at dusk and dawn, laying up for black night and full day."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next