2 Peonu 720

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:59 pm

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

There is a chill in the air as the night progresses. The wind remains an intermitant gust from the north east doing little to affect the weather.

The night passes quietly and the warband are able to sleep well. Every now and then one of the sleeping warriors will wake to hear Algared and Kugald in whispered conversation. Although they are not able to see the two warriors on watch the soft glow of the embers in the fire soothes and need for unrest and there need for rest though soon has them back to sleep.

Before long it is now the turn of Barak and Vidar to take their turn on watch.

The two men are awoken and Algared and Kugald are back resting wrapped warmly in their blankets. Barak and Vidar soon find themselves in a comfortable spot to watch over the sleeping men. Barak's attempts to chat with Vidar seem to fail as Vidar sits quietly, he seems in deep thought and does not seem to appreciate the efforts to distract him.

With the coming of dawn a fog begins to build slowly creeping towards the warband from the river, soon the camp is blanketed in a thick fog. It does little in reducing visibility it changes the contrast though as it is not the darkness that obscures their vision.

Through the fog Barak and Vidar are able to discern a feint glow to the east, the coming of a new day....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:28 am

Since Barak has been rebufffed he decides to leave the priest in peace.

He uses the first light to start to pack away his sleeping roll and camping equipment, and to prepare his hunting gear. He looks out through the fog intermittantly, but he concentrates more on hearing. He hopes that the fog dosn't last because it will make hunting difficult. If it does, he'll have to try foraging or fishing.

When the sun gets above the horizon he'll start to get a fire going for breakfast. He suggests that Vidar might want to start preparing breakfast and will ask him "What are your plans for the day? Will you hunt, or prepare for the journey ahead?"

Lastly he awakens Jurri and Borygg, leaving Kugald and Algarad a little longer to enjoy their slumbers a little longer.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Time: Towards the end of 2nd watch

With Algared and Kugald awake, the rest of the warband have gone about preparing for the new day. The fire has been relit with the wood brought in by Vidar and cut by Kugald. A pot of water stands over the fire bubbling nicely ready for the morning meal.

The fog has lifted only slightly, it still obstructs the warriors visibility. It dulls the noises of nature coming from around the warband from the trees.

The other men of the warband have gone about their morning routines, washed their faces from sleep, packed up their sleeping gear and checked that all their gear is ready to go.

It is not long before Kugald and Algared have conducted their morning routines and like their companions are ready to go.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 am

"Wish me luck in the hunt. I'll be back around mid-day."

Barak heads out of camp bearing his hunting gear. He heads up hill away to see if he can get above the fog to hunt. If that fails he plans to forage or do some line fishing in a suitable tarn or brook can be found."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:32 pm

After getting up, breaking his fast, washing up and gearing up, Kugald turns to Jurri, “So friend, what do you think? Will the locals accept a skald into their midst without shooting you on sight? Will they immediately report you to their new Ibanvaalese masters? If they don’t, will they sell you any bread or ale?”

“My plan was for the two of us to head down river to the thran. I will find a good place where I can see the village from cover. Then, you proceed by a round about fashion to the only road into the village. It comes from the north. You walk straight into the village.”

“I always suggest using a story as close to the truth as possible. They are easier to remember and keep straight. I propose you tell them that you are a traveling skald who is traveling north. You took this side road hoping that you would be able to find somewhere that would be willing to sell you some food for your trip. You want to buy enough for several days, six loaves, because not all the other thrans you have visited have had food to spare. Some sausages and cheese would be welcome too, and any vegetables suitable to flavor the broth.”

“However, I suggest you go with whatever story you feel comfortable with and think will get you some food.”

“Assuming you get food, you head back they way you came in…back to the main road. Once you are out of sight of the villagers, you swing around and link back up with me in the bush.”

“My job will be to watch to see if anything goes wrong. If the odds are in my favor, I will come to your assistance. If not, I will go get the others. That is unless you feel my presence would increase your risk, in which case, I will stay here and forage for food.”

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:21 am

"Well, I usually sing for my supper. I suppose singing for yours too isn't that different. As for them killing me, I've no reason to believe there has been a bounty placed on skalds, nor even on me specifically. In truth, I can move on from the Daas' employ at any time, so who is to say I haven't?"

"I'll get as much food as I can, but not more than they can spare."
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 51
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 am

"OK, then I will stay here and forage for some more food."

After Jurri leaves, Kugald heads out into the forest to search for foods other than meat, i.e. roots, tubers, etc.

Post by GM Time Mid 2nd watch - Mid 3rd watch

Kugald heads out into the forest to gather forage to add to the warbands stock. Kugald spends the best part of the morning searching and around mid 3rd watch he returns to the campsite with enough to feed the warband for perhaps one meal.
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 am

As Jurri prepares to leave Vidar says that he will come along for the trip. Should Jurri try to pursuade Vidar against it he seems adament in his decsion and packs his gear ready for the journey.


Last edited by GM on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:59 am

Borygg washes, grabs a bite to eat, sees to his gear, then heads off to forage. He'll coordinate with the others so we are covering the area efficiently and not going over the same ground.

Post by GM Time: Mid 2nd - Mid 3rd watch.

Leaving camp around the same time as Kugald, Borygg heads north in search of forage. He returns a little before Kugald's arrival with enough forage to feed the warband for about a day.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 53
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 am

Algared informs his companions he was thinking he'd try his luck fishing once more but with Barak already away hunting, Jurri and Vidar heading to the thran to trade for supplies while Kugald and Borryg are intending to forage he decides he will remain at camp as a guard as well as ensure there is a hot meal at midday. As the remaining members head off to the thran or to forage Algared bids each safe travels, good fortune and a speedy return.

Algared will uses the morning to practice with his sling and prepares a stew using some of the deer carcass bones, letting them stew away as part of the lunch preparations which he will check from time to time adding a little water and stiring the pot. He will also try to ensure that the fire pit doesn't smoke.

Post by GM Time: Mid 2nd watch - Mid 3rd watch

Algared spends the morning tending to a few things around the camp that catch his attention. He wanders around the immediate area of the camp trying to familiarise himself with his surroundings. He replenishes the firewood stock and cuts the fallen timber into managable sizes. All the while getting a stew ready for the others for when they return.

After nearly a quarter watch with his sling Algared tires of it and places it away with the rest of his gear.


Last edited by Algared on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleared up typos and tense)
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:20 pm

When Barak comes to a clearing on a north-east facing hill slope he will look around. If there is a good view, he'll try to memorise the general topology and plan out the route for the next day.

Post by GM Time: Mid 2nd watch - Mid 3rd watch

Barak casts the area he is stalking for any sign of prey. The only sign that he can find is too old to be of use and the hunter returns back to the campsite empty handed.

While out hunting you are able to find several small clearings, however, the trees on the northern and eastern slopes obscures much of the view in that direction. You are unable to gain much in the way of information to aid in your route planning.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:05 am

Once both Kugald and Borryg return Algared sorts through their forage and any other dry supplies remaining adding a selection of the oldest looking tubers or roots to the pot, while sorting the rest. if there are herbs he will select a few heaves to help season the meal. Algared will continue dividing the forage and meats into separate parcels, with the intention of making preparation of their next few meals a little easier.

"I have no forage to add, it seemed wise to keep someone at the camp to guard, but it did enable me to stew up some of the bones to ensure we all we can off the them. We can eat onnce Barak, Vidar and Jurri return and with the few extra tubers and leaves i added we should have a good stew." Algared looks at both Borryg and Kugald gauging how tired they look before adding. "So Kugald what our plan, do we march today? If so, do you want to eat now or wait for the others to arrive? If we do march then we should get everything ready for departure. I could bundle up some of the firewood, if we each take a faggot then we'll at least have some firewood ready... when do we expect Jurri, Vidar and Barak to return?'
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:11 am

"Good idea to stay behind, little cuz," Kugald says, slapping Algared on the shoulder.

Algared wrote:
"We can eat once Barak, Vidar and Jurri return and with the few extra tubers and leaves i added we should have a good stew."

"We will wait for Barak, but I don't think Jurri and Vidar will be back for a while. I don't see much point in waiting for them. But keep a bit of stew for them."

Algared wrote:
"So Kugald what our plan, do we march today? If so, do you want to eat now or wait for the others to arrive? If we do march then we should get everything ready for departure. I could bundle up some of the firewood, if we each take a faggot then we'll at least have some firewood ready... when do we expect Jurri, Vidar and Barak to return?'

"I don't expect Jurri and Vidar to return before nightfall, so no matching today. I think everyone should get as much rest as possible. As soon as Barak returns, we will eat. It will be easy to rest on a full belly."

"Those that aren't too heavily burdened might carry some dry wood, but I am already heavily loaded down with armour. Adding more could be the straw that broke the mule's back, so I will pass."

"Assuming the others return this evening, I recommend we get a good night's sleep and depart as soon as there is enough light in the morning. I intend to do two watches of marching tomorrow."

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:18 am

Kugald Daas wrote:
"I don't expect Jurri and Vidar to return before nightfall, so no matching today. I think everyone should get as much rest as possible. As soon as Barak returns, we will eat. It will be easy to rest on a full belly."

"Those that aren't too heavily burdened might carry some dry wood, but I am already heavily loaded down with armour. Adding more could be the straw that broke the mule's back, so I will pass."

"Assuming the others return this evening, I recommend we get a good night's sleep and depart as soon as there is enough light in the morning. I intend to do two watches of marching tomorrow."

'Hrmmm, Double march tomorrow, then maybe we should make another stew, unless Jurri manages to aquire some oats, let the stew simmer during the night, after we eat or untill Barak returns either of you feel up to training? If you feel too tired, then I'll go try my hand at fishing till Barak returns, if I get anything maybe we'll be able to smoke it during the afternoon and night and add a little more to our rations."

Algared thinks a little then seems to go back to the an earlier thought. "So if we all rise at the beginning of the second watch, we could eat and move off by first light. Then march for both the third and fourth and set up camp during the fifth, or you think we may need longer to find a suitable camp site and set up?"
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:51 am

"Sounds like a good idea. We go to sleep early tonight, rise before dawn, eat a hardy breakfast and then head out as soon as it is light enough. That will allow us to make maximum distance during the daylight and still leave us time to set up camp tomorrow night."

He looks at Borygg and Barak (if he has returned by now), "Does that make sense to you? Assuming of course that Jurri and Vidar make it back at a reasonable hour tonight."

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Borygg replies that the plan is fine with him. He is eager to be on the move again.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 53
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 pm

"You lot make so much noise I could hear you a mile away" says Barak as he returns to the camp. "Hmm, that stew smells nice."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 am

"Well Barak as soon as you've freshened up we can eat. Since we dont expect Jurri or Vidar back til nightfall. In the afternoon we should fish and smoke whatever we wont eat of the catch this evening."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:49 am

Barak is soon tucking in to his meal. "Are you sure they won't be back before sunset? Which of them is going in to the thran, and which is watching?"

After his meal Barak will pack up all of his gear and prepare for an afternoon of fishing (taking all of his stuff with him).

"When do we meet up again? Dusk?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:39 pm

"I don't know what Jurri and Vidar had worked out between themselves, but Vidar seemed a little out of sorts recently. Perhaps they will both go into the thran, I don't know."

"Let's meet again at dusk, we want to be well rested for tomorrow. Algared, if you want to go fishing, I will stay at the camp and keep watch. Otherwise, I will go fishing with Barak."

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:"Perhaps they will both go into the thran, I don't know."
"Oh. Let's hope they don't get in to trouble. If they do, we'll never know."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 pm

"Well, if one of them doesn't come back by nightfall, we will have to decide whether we are going to wait longer or go looking for them."

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

As he enjoys the meal and discusses the afternoon plan and jurri and Vidar's return time, in response to Kugald Algared replies. 'I've never tried foraging for roots and berries befor, fishing on the otherhand is something I've enjoyed doing helps fill the larder and gives me time to think. If you feel you'd enjoy the time fishing or would be more adept at it I can stay here. I can keep myself busy, practicing with my weapons, washing my clothes, studying a little the ways of the my guild, gathering more fire wood or digging a midden pit we're starting to amass some waste and having it dispossed of in a pit may lessen the chance of scavengers being attracted to our camp."

When the conversation turns to Jurri and Vidar, Algared adds. 'I wonder jurri would have been asked to play at the inn during the night. How long do you think it would have taken us to reach the thran, 1/2 a watch or more, I know originally we talked about the traders aiming to be back by mid-day at least that was what I thought the plan was, but if Jurri was playing for his supper rather than paying then he may need to stay til morning." Algared falls silent lost in his thoughts and concern for his friends, and ultimately the fate of Dasslund.

After a while Algared turns to Borryg. "What do you intend for this afternoons watch Borryg, will you hunt, fish forage or have you some other plan in mind?"
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 am

Algared wrote:After a while Algared turns to Borryg. "What do you intend for this afternoons watch Borryg, will you hunt, fish forage or have you some other plan in mind?"
"I figured I'd go back out and forage some more today, unless someone has any other ideas for what needs doing."

Post by GM Time: Mid 3rd watch - Mid 4th watch

After eating your midday meal you feel full of vigour and ready to tackle the hills and slopes of the forest to bring back what bounty you can find.

After spending the best part of the afternoon wandering the hills the forage you were able to find would not be enough to feed the warband for a single meal.

Disappointed you returned back to the campsite. Where you find Kugald sitting around the coals of the fire poking the embers with a stick. he seems in quiet comtemplation when his sense are alerted to your presence as he stands quickly but his guard quickly drops when he recognises your familiar face.

Algared can be seen about twenty yards away sitting by the river bank with a fishing pole in his hand.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 53
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Barak sets off to go fishing to the tarn on the mountain brook he located yesterday. Barak, unaccountably decides to take all his gear with him.

Post edited by GM

Post by GM Returning to the tarn Barak had discovered the day before he prepares a line and soon finds himself with his back against a tree trunk watching the surrounding countryside as he waits for a bite.

Nearing the middle of the 4th watch Barak has managed to catch three trout the first weighing in at 4lbs, the second a handsome 6lbs and the third a magnificant 7lbs.

Returning to the campsite around the beginning of the 5th watch with his catch you can see that Jurri has already returned from his trip to the thran. He also has several stories of 'the one that got away'.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum