7 Peonu 720

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

7 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:47 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

Algared wakes and instinctively grabs for his cloak but the night is warm with the wind gusting from the south east now as the clouds that were building have since blow away, the ground is covered in a very patchy covering of snow still. The night has been mostly quiet except for the odd call of an owl and the startling whoosh as the bird flies low over Algareds head.

The rest of the night remains uneventful, till it is time to wake Barak for his turn on watch.

Barak rises from his sleep and with a quick scan of the darkness takes over the watch from Algared. The night continues to be warm with the clouds slowly building as the gusting winds from the south west die down to a gentle breeze from the south west, the snow has disappeared and the ground is firm but damp underfoot.

With Yael disappearing behind the mountains to the west Barak watches over the camp. The noises of the animal life builds slowly as the morning approaches. It starts with the nocturnal wildlife retreating back to their nests and burrows. The noises change as birds call to herald the break of a new day. Soon the eastern sky begins to change colour, gone the black as the hues become more orange and red. Soon it is light enough to wake the rest of the warband to prepare for the new day.

Each warrior goes through his own morning routine as he prepares for the coming day. Algared collects what rations remain and with only the eggs, mushrooms and a small amount of forage left there is enough for the morning meal and little else.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:04 am

"Thats the last of the fresh rations, though I think we still have the dried fish." Algared says as the band enjoy the eggs and mushrooms supplimented with the last of the forage.

"We have two options, the first is to trek down river and search for a crossing closer to the farms and treeline, but we treked uphill initally to reach here so I think that we will find that fruitless and it will increase the chance of discovery. Our second option is to fell a few of the Storzer's trees, trimm them of their branches and bridge the crossing. I suggest Kugald and jurri spend the day working on the felling and trimming trees and seeking to prepare a crossing. While Barak you try hunting and Borryg and and I forage or fish. I realise neither Kugald and Jurri are not are skilled with the timberwrights craft, but it allows our best woodsmen to hopefully exploit their skills. And I can attempt to forage or fish near the camp.

Algared looks towards Jurri, Borryg and his cousins and asks, "So, what do you think?"
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:00 am

"How are we going to get such a vast tree to span the river? We don't even have a piece of rope long enough to go accross."

Barak dutifully, if not quickly, prepares to go hunting. He leaves his spear, shield, armour and helm behind, but does take his bow and knapsack (including his fishing gear).

Barak listens to the discussions about plans for the day. If Algared's proposal is approved then he says: "If you are building this bridge today, I shall be back a little before sunset"

Barak then heads off up river.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 am

Barak Daas wrote:"How are we going to get such a vast tree to span the river? We don't even have a piece of rope long enough to go accross."

GM wrote: The river bank is bordered with willows close to the river. Aspen, birch, mountain ash, pine and spruce make up the main variety of trees that you have seen along your travels and all can be seen along the river bank.

Pine trees would be the tallest of these trees if you were looking to fell one across the river.

Looking at the heights of the trees, we've seen the pines here abouts would seem to be the trees most likely to span the river. we Fell on and strip it of branches once ready we haul it to the river and then I suppose stand it up and lower it across. I figure if we hammer stakes into the soil this side to help hold the trunk in place it would helphold it in place.

I dont say it'll be easy. But I'd rather try avoid any patrols lower down of course we could could always try climb over that cliff. But that seems an impossible task so either we try to make a crossing or we head down towards the farms. "
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:16 pm

"Sorry, I didn't mean 'where are we going to find the tree?', I can see plenty of those. I meant how are we going to get the tree accross the river? Pulling something as large as a tree, for example the mast of a boat, upright is difficult enough when you have long ropes and pullies, but we have no tackle or lines. You could try felling a tree near the edge of the bank and hoping it falls in the right direction. But I wouldn't fancy trimming the branches off whilst balance above the river on one trunk."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 am

Actions for the day: Kugald and Jurri spend the day working on the felling and trimming trees and seeking to prepare a crossing. Barak goes up river hunting. Borryg and Algarad spend the morning foraging and the afternoon fishing nearby the camp.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm

[OOC: Hi guys, sorry for the lack of posts over the weekend. Real life intruded into my game time…visits with the in-laws, that sort of thing. I am getting caught up with the posts.]

The weaponcrafter sits, staring into the fire, deep in thought and uncharacteristically quiet.

The big man takes a walk down to the river and takes a long hard look at the river and the trees. He is silent for a good half hour as he considers the options, then he walks back to the camp and speaks to the others.

Kugald listens to Algared’s plan and shakes his head.

“Cousin, it is obvious you have spent more time in your father’s trading house than cutting trees. A tree large enough to span the river…30 yards…will weigh enough that it will take 30 men or more to lift. A tree small enough for five of us to lift will not be large enough to cross the river.”

“My preferred method would be to build a raft, tie it to a long rope…at least 50 yards…and then pole it across the river. Unfortunately, we don’t have such a rope.”

“So, Algared’s idea of falling a tree across the river seem to be the only one we have the resources to try, but it has many problems. The first problem is we don’t have a proper axe. I have a hand axe, more useful for fighting than for chopping down a large tree. We have a few hatchets, but they will be very slow to cut down such a large tree.”

“A 100 ft tall tree will be 2 ft across at the butt.”

“Unless we climb the tree, there will be no way to trim the branches before we fall it.”

“Once it falls into the river, there is a good chance that the strong current will grab the branches that land in the river and sweep the tree downriver. Then, a large tree with a cut bottom will float downriver to Soliheim.”

“If it stays in place, then we will be faced with trying to cross a fallen log, with branches sticking up, with all of our equipment. I am not a small man and with all of my equipment and armour, I weigh even more. That means we need a tree that is strong enough to support my weight even at the far side.”

“Unfortunately, all this leads me to the conclusion that we must fall a tree at least 45 yards tall so that it solidly lands on the far bank. We should also choose a tree somewhat back from the water’s edge on this side so the butt end doesn’t get swept away either.”

“Since it seems we have little choice…since I don’t want to go downstream to Soliheim…then we must do what we can.”

“I agree, we will need more food. I think this will take at least a full day, maybe two given our small axe and hatchets. We might as well establish a better camp too.”

“Jurri, it looks like tree falling is up to you and I.”

Kugald and Jurri head out towards the river.

The burly weaponcrafter is looking for a very special tree. It should be tall, at least 45 yards tall. He will judge this by pacing out the length of an already fallen tree, measuring the width of the butt of the fallen tree with his sword and then comparing that width to the butts of the trees along the riverbank. He will be conservative and always err on the side of too tall rather than too short. Once he has a size in mind, he will look for a tree of the right size, about 5 – 8 yards back from the bank, with other trees slightly downstream from it and a clear shot to the river.

Kugald will spend most of the morning looking for just the right tree.

[OOC: I think the closest skill to what is required is Timbercraft, OML SB2. Kugald would open at ML 30. He takes considerable extra time picking out a tree.]

Once he finds the chosen tree, he gets out his axe and hatchet.

[OOC: I would assume Kugald has cut down trees in his life. I have many times, despite being a city kid, I grew up in British Columbia and did plenty of camping and most of it involved cutting down trees, if only for posts and beams for a lean-to.]

“Jurri, if we want this tree to fall across the river, we need to undercut it on the river side.”

The two men start to hack away, slowly, with the small hatchets, stopping regularly to sharpen the axe and hatchet with their whetstone.

Once they are about 40% of the way through on the riverside of the tree, they switch and start to cut on the far side of the tree, slightly higher.

Kugald frequently steps back from their work and keeps a close eye on the top of the tree, looking for any sign it is ready to go.

“Jurri, once it starts to go, we will both run as far and as fast as we can away from the river. When a tree this big falls, the butt will kick up. If it hits you, it will probably kill you, so if I say run, don’t even think, just go.”

The two will spend the afternoon hacking away at the tree.

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Jurri nods in between chops.

"I hope we do not have to repeat this at every stream."
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 pm

By the time Kugald returns from his musings he finds the camp empty except for Jurri. Kugald saw Barak leave earlier this morning heading west with bow in hand to hunt game and when Kugald returns Jurri informs him that Borygg and Algared have headed out to the south to look for forage.


Last edited by GM on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:33 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Chop...chop...chop...
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 am

Chop
Chop
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:34 am

Time: Mid 3rd watch - End 4th watch

The first to arrive back at camp are Algared and Borygg having spent their time out foraging, they returned to camp around mid 3rd watch. The two men spend their time preparing the forage they have found, collecting more firewood and then preparing the cook pot for tonights meal.

Around the end of the 3rd watch Barak returns to the camp with three trout he has caught further upstream, the fish are small but with the forage found by Algared and Borygg should feed the warriors for tonight. Barak then spends some time adding to the shelter improving its waterproofing.

Algared takes the fish from Barak and finding that they have already been gutted and scaled skewers the fish and sets them to roast over the open flames. Algared adds a few of the items found while foraging into the cookpot to boil while keeping the rest to be eaten fresh.

The three men sit back and watch the flames - during this time you realise that there will be all but nothing left for the morning meal tomorrow.

With the end of the 4th watch Kugald and Jurri have still not returned from their tasking.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Shortly after, Kugald and Jurri arrive back in camp carrying (rather than wearing) most of their gear.

Kugald plops himself down near the fire.

"Good news, we have found a tree that should suit our purposes. Jurri and I have spent the day hacking away at it with our little hatchets. Remind me to pack a full sized axe next time. Anyway, we are about half done. I figure by the sun's zenith tomorrow, the tree should fall. Whether it falls the right direction and makes a suitable crossing point is up to Sarajin." Kugald stops for a moment to offer a silent prayer to the Gray Slayer.

"I suggest the rest of you spend the morning foraging. You will know when the tree comes down. As will everyone within a half a league. When it does, we all meet at the tree as soon as we can. We will cross as soon as everyone is there. Borygg, we will need your rope to tie people together. If we fall in the fast moving river with all our gear, we're done for."

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm

When Algared serves up the meal he deliberately ensures he serves both Kugald and Jurri a choice portion, reducing his own share of the choice cuts to ensure they are compensated after the days hard labour.

As the band sit around the fire and listen to Kugald and Jurri tell of their efforts Algared seems to hang his head, the feeling that this was his call and it seems it will exhaust both Kugald and Jurri in the process and may proove a futile effort weighs upon him. Despite feeling that the only alternative to the current course of action seemed be heading into the valley and risk an encounter with the Dagan's patrols Algared cannot shake the fear that effort will bring not bring success and in the process exhaust two of their number.

Once the meal is eaten Algared cleans the pots then heads to the side to quietly study the ways of his his order before giving thanks to Sarajin for his bountiful provision thus far and asking that his favour grants them success in fording the river and finding fresh supplies.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Seeing the good portions of food Algared has set aside for them, Kugald smiles broadly. “Thank you, cousin!” He wolfs down his portion pausing only occasionally to fish out bones from his mouth.

“Well done all. Sarajin has provided for another day.”

“I think we are making good progress. I am feeling great.” He flexes his muscles and stretches his arms. “It is good to spend a half-day hacking at the tree, as I have been too long away from the anvil.” The affable big weaponcrafter flexes one of his huge biceps Very Happy “Much more of this ‘easy living’ and I will get ‘soft’!”

He smacks Jurri on the shoulder. “Our little harper here acquitted himself well today. Now mind you my master, Jorri, would have beaten him black and blue to ‘encourage’ him to work harder, I am a ‘kinder’ master…but I know he will feel it in the morning. I did…at least for the first couple of years. Wielding a hatchet is not much different from using a hammer, but it might be ‘a might’ heavier than strumming a harp.” Kugald smiles at Jurri.

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

"I have two handaxes I looted from the woodcrafters - you know the ones noone wanted to carry. They well be better than hatchets."

"We need to discuss the crossing tree crossing plan. I don't fancy being roped to everyone else all encumbered by armour, weapons, equipment and loot. One slips and we all drown. Anyway 15ft foot is only enough for two. I suggest people cross only in their basic clothes and gear and that the remaining equipment is carried across in a number of trips. That way if anyone falls they might live to wash up on a bank. The rope might be used to carry the gear across."

"Also there is the question of the branches. I havn't seen your tree, but is there a chance that a tree-limb will block the route? Will we need to remove smaller branches to make the trunk passable?"

"Whilst you are pondering that... Let me tell you about my morning. I went back to the cliff to see if there is a way up it or around it. At over two hundred feet high I don't think we can climb it. I tried finding a route round the cliff and the strangest things happened. For a start there is creepy, unwelcoming feeling that chills you to the bone. I braved that and followed the 'path' that enters the mountains, and I swear I had travelled no more than three hundred feet when I found myself back where I started. I *know* I did not get lost or turned around, and I came out on a different path than I went in, which I am sure wasn't there when I started. Yet the strangest thing was the time. I only travelled three hundred feet, yet it took over half a watch judging by the sun. I wonder if it might be the home of the mountainfolk. I've heard stories that the live in cliffs. I am sure someone told me they lived to the east of us, at Ygesdram I mean. If it is not the mountain folk it must be evil spirits. Maybe even Agriks demons. Perhaps that is why the giant wolves are here."


Last edited by Barak Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm

"I also think we should scout out down river. Everyone seems to be assuming there will not be a crossing point, but there maybe a natural ford where this river reaches the meadows. We may be able to steal a boat and row accross. We may not meet a Dagen patrol; and even if we do, I'd rather die with a spear and shield in my hand, killing my enemies, than drown in a river for my bloated body to be washed down for the Dagen to be sneered at."


Last edited by Barak Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Responding to Kugald's comments on his on Jurri's efforts, Borygg will volunteer to do tree-chopping duty tomorrow. Either the three of us can all do it, giving each more rest, or Borygg can take Jurri's place and Jurri can go foraging.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"Whilst you are pondering that... Let me tell you about my morning. I went back to the cliff to see if there is a way up it or around it. At over two hundred feet high I don't think we can climb it. I tried finding a route round the cliff and the strangest things happened. For a start there is creepy, unwelcoming feeling that chills you to the bone. I braved that and followed the 'path' that enters the mountains, and I swear I had travelled no more than three hundred feet when I found myself back where I started. I *know* I did not get lost or turned around, and I came out on a different path than I went in, which I am sure wasn't there when I started. Yet the strangest thing was the time. I only travelled three hundred feet, yet it took over half a watch judging by the sun. I wonder if it might be the home of the mountainfolk. I've heard stories that the live in cliffs. I am sure someone told me they lived to the east of us, at Ysegram I mean. If it is not theountain folk it must be evil spirits. Maybe even Agriks demons. Perhaps that is why the giant wolves are here."

While exhausted, Jurri listens to this with great interest.

Neil, Jurri's pretty good with Folklore (ML91, specialized in Eddas and Skaldic Tales); does he know anything further about either the mountainfolk or the type of phenomena Barak is describing?

Re: Chopping - Jurri's no slouch, but at STR 13 STA 12, he's probably the least suited of the PCs for extended periods of this, so he'll gladly either trade out or each take (shorter) turns, as Borygg suggests. Beyond that, he'll leave the debate over the method of crossing to the others - it's not something he has much experience with. He's definitely not up for a swim.
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Borygg Raal wrote:Borygg will volunteer to do tree-chopping duty tomorrow. Either the three of us can all do it, giving each more rest, or Borygg can take Jurri's place and Jurri can go foraging.
"I can also help out with the felling if you want. I know how to handle an wood axe..." he pats his hatchet "and I think a lot of us foraging might prove difficult. We've already scared away the game from around here, I caught less fish today than yesterday... though you should have seen the size of the one that broke my line and got away... and I suspect we've collected most of the nearby forage too."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Listening to the comments and thought of his friends and family Algared looks up from his meal. "Well I can swim, so if it comes to needing to trim the branches once the tree has fallen and fallen across this passage, I could with a rope tied about my waist trim the branches. At least if I fall I can try to swim, mind you with the force of the flow I'd dread the prospect I also have one of those woodcrafters axes nobody seemed to want stored away. I figured we'd find them useful along the way.

Your passage intrigues me though Barak, I doubt you got lost so that makes it more puzzling, it is possible that some Pvaric magics could have clouded your mind and made your believe nothing had happened. I wonder if that hunting party we found were Ibanvaaler's who were hunting the hillfolk. Kugald and Jurri you remember the claims the war thralls made about being sent to hunt the natives down. If they were killed by human hands who then took their gear and then had their bodies ravaged by beasts would that explain the scene you found? Yes. I know it doesn't explain the size of the beast. If it were hill folk and we were able to make contact maybe we could gain their aid." Algared pauses and in his minds eye he imagines finding some great pvaric magics that would both be an aid and further his skill, the brief show of interest dies and he shakes shakes his head reluctantly.

"No, I suppose such musings will not help us, for how would the hill folk see we were different from an Ibanvaal patrol, we dress alike and wander the hills. I would rather get across this this river and into areas we have not foraged or hunted bare. We have nothing left in the way of fresh stores. None the less it may be you did find such an entry though magics left you disorientated and clouded your mind, before someone led you back to the path from which you started. If we had stores I wouldn't mind searching for the cause of your experience, but at present regardless of the magics we may find that could help or hinder our path, we likely cannot engage in the activity being without food in an area we have foraged already.

As for scouting down river more, we may have no choice if the tree falls poorly. But even if it does we may need to forage in that direction it seemed most of the bushes Boryyg pointed out as being ones with good fruits or having good roots had already been stripped of berries or had the tubers dug up. Maybe we can find a stray lamb to kill as well. though that may bring the patrols into the hills hunting us."


Last edited by Algared on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:51 am

As Jurri goes about his usual activities, he'll begin quietly singing. It is rhythmic and chant-like, and definitely not Ivinian. He seems to be concentrating, as if recalling the words.
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 am

The order of the watch for tonight is:-

7th Peonu Watch 6 start: Borygg
7th Peonu Watch 6 finish: Jurri
8th Peonu Watch 1 start: Kugald
8th Peonu Watch 1 finish: Algarad
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Kugald nods in agreement with Barak’s concerns.

“I agree, falling in the river while being burdened with armor would be suicide.”

“Once we fall the tree, we will have a better idea of how serious an obstacle the branches will be. If necessary, we can trim the branches to make a clearer path. Then, I suggest we make a number of trips in just our light clothes to carry our equipment across.”

Barak relates his tale of the strange events of that day.

“Bizarre cousin. I have never heard tale of such things. All the more reason to finish falling the tree and head home.”

On the subject of scouting downriver, “Do so if you wish Barak, but perhaps if that was your preference, we might have done that before wasting a day finding and chopping a tree. In any event, it is never a bad idea to have a backup plan.”

Algared wrote:
I also have one of those woodcrafters axes nobody seemed to want stored away. I figured we'd find them useful along the way.

“I had forgotten you had taken the axes. Yes, we could definitely use them. It will make things much faster tomorrow.”

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 am

Time: Beginning 5th watch - End 6th watch

A wind has picked up that blows in from the north east and the clouds begin to gather as the temperature starts to drop. Kugald looks to the sky and says "Looks like rain tonight", Barak casts an eye skyward and nods in agreement.

In the last few hours of daylight the warband finish their meal of roasted fish and what forage could be gathered today and then talk about their plans for the coming day. In the fading light the warriors decide that it is time to get what rest they can and turn in. Laying out their sleeping gear the warriors turn in for the night.

In the dark each of the warriors feel the pains of camping, foraging and hunting in the forest. Each notice that their clothes hang upon their bodies now as they lose a few pounds with the efforts of campaigning. Muscles ache, legs from the long marching over difficult terrain, feet ache from the long marches, shoulders and backs ache from carrying heavy loads over difficult terrain, the constant bending gathering forage and fire wood and tree felling.

There is a comfort just lying in your sleeping gear relaxing....

Borygg is the first to take his turn on watch and the weather remains unchanged throughout his watch except that the wind drops down a little and the temperature continues to drop, but Borygg's cloak keeps him warm, so too does the warmth of the fire. Like the previous nights the noises of the forest change as the animals of the day retire for the night and the nocturnal wildlife begins their 'day' on the hunt for food and water.

Borygg judging by the glow of Yael in the nights sky reckons his watch over and so as quietly as possible makes his way to the shelter to wake Jurri for his turn on watch. Waking he (Jurri) rises from his bed and dresses, finally pulling his cloak about his shoulders as the cool of the night chills him compared with the warmth of his sleeping gear.

Finding a place near the fire Jurri stands his watch, the noises of the night continue for while and slowly begin to fade until there is nothing but silence except for the occassional scratching of an animal nearby or the sounds of a flying creature overhead, on rare occassions the silouhette of an owl or bat can be seen against the night sky.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 7 Peonu 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum