From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal

+2
Bjarni Daasen
Sigrun Surenaal
6 posters

Go down

Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal Empty Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 am

Hello,

My name is Steve Rubin. I live in Cambridge, Massachusetts with my girlfriend and our dog. I work as an IT Manager (when there is work - currently job hunting).

I started gaming around 1982, with (of course?) good old Basic D&D. I was a pretty active player until about 1997. After that, life changed, people moved on... the standard story. A couple years ago, my collecting gene mutated, and my focus turned to RPGs. I started out with the games I remembered fondly (WFRP, Cyberpunk) but then it exploded to others I had played or always wanted to play (AD&D, Harn, Hackmaster, Pendragon, Stormbringer, Call Of Cthulhu, Toon, etc).

I'm a regular on several forums (acaeum, dragonsfoot, rpg.net, kenzerco, lythia, yog-sothoth) as TheHistorian. I'm currently the proofreader for Castle Of The Mad Archmage, an extension of Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg. It's written for AD&D (and clones). If you're interested in checking it out, the free download can be found at http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/.

At a certain point, having all that gaming material around made me want to actually play again! I tried out a couple D&D and AD&D games, but the style wasn't really to my liking; I wasn't having enough fun to compensate for how far I had to travel to play. I'm currently playing in two Hackmaster games (one 4E, one Basic). They aren't for really serious roleplaying though - more just about beating things up. That's fun(ish) too, but I really like to get into a character; I'd be happy to spend a whole session buying things in a marketplace or having conversations with PCs and NPCs. From what I've read of past posts in this game, that sort of interest in detail may very well fit right in. Sometimes I just let the dice fly and see what happens... and that's how I ended up with a female character in a setting where they are almost always subordinate, in a profession that made a lot of sense to select based on the sunsign rolled, but otherwise will be an interesting challenge to explain in a background.

As to Harn, it was always in the category of "they have cool advertisements in Dragon so I should really check it out sometime." I dipped my toes in the water at the tail end of my first RPG era - I think HMC had just come out. I owned a few items, but I recall being frustrated that so much of the material was out of print. Coincidentally, I'm certain that one of the few books I owned at that time was Menglana (but not Ivinia). Now, my collection of Harn material has become quite ridiculous. While the main focus of overzealous collectors (aka Acaeum members) is D&D/AD&D, I decided I wanted to know about all the variations and editions of Harn material. I'm currently in the process of collecting every one I can find - there are at least eight variations of the main Harnworld set, for example.

And in all that, I haven't been able to play any Harnmaster. There are actually a couple gaming groups within a reasonable drive, but they've been running games for decades... not the easiest thing to jump into. When I saw Neil's post about this PBF game, I thought I'd try it out. I haven't played like this before either, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I've read through a good chunk of the back story (mostly just Neil's posts, otherwise it would have taken ten times as long) and refreshed my memory of the Ivinia related material, so I think I'm ready to go.

Ready to get started,

Steve
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal Empty Re: Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal

Post  Bjarni Daasen Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 am

Hi Steve

I am in the same boat in many ways - never played a email/forum rpg before. I am actually currently GMing an Ivinian pencil/paper Harnmaster game. I am always the GM and never a player so will be nice to interact in someone else's p-Harn for a change.

Long time Harn collector and player, but only in the last year have I GMed using Harnmaster rules. I always used Hero System before that.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal Empty Re: Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 am

I should also add that I'm highly jealous of everyone else's character sketches... is someone here an artist or are they all just "found" somewhere?
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 am

Mine was got by trawling Viking reenactment photos on google until I found one I wanted. In my own campaign I have used real photos of people where possible to represent people. I have a library of several thousand Dark ages, medieval, Vikings, Celtic and roman photos.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Welcome!

My character illo is taken from the "Friends, Foes, and Followers" series of downloads (available for free on Lythia.com). Many (Most?) of those, including the one I'm using, were done by Richard Luschek.

I just re-read my own bio/introduction. The only real update I have is that I've recently (since last August) been pretty busy writing for Hârn and have made a lot of good friends through that creative outlet. If you get the opportunity to attend this year's HârnCon in San Diego, maybe we'll be able to meet face to face. I know at least Kerry ("Kugald") and Brent ("Borygg") are also planning to attend.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Greetings and well met.

My illustration was kindly drawn for me many years ago.

I had seriously considered harncon this year but work and the timing of the con put an end to that. New job means I will be settling into the teaching role and preparing units etc. Hopefully Harn Con NZ for me.

Nice to have a real pilot and someone with real skill as a shipwright. Barak and I are off the hook yippee!!
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Welcome to the group Steve :-)

We'll definately have to acquire a boatands go aviking now we have a few sailing orientated characters (though none as good as Bjarni and Sigrun.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Jurri Grebel wrote:
My character illo is taken from the "Friends, Foes, and Followers" series of downloads (available for free on Lythia.com). Many (Most?) of those, including the one I'm using, were done by Richard Luschek.

Excellent suggestion! I found exactly what I had envisioned.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Steve Rubin, playing Sigrun Surenaal Empty nice back story Steve

Post  Algared Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 am

Just finished reading your back story. Really nice, my only disappointment was that i finished reading. Looking forward to reading you additions to our Saga. Smile
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 am

Wow, that's some praise! Embarassed

There's other bits tied in via the contacts and jewelry as well, if you want to see a couple more crazy ideas.

The only problem I have is that you've got this wonderful war brewing, yet the character I've dreamed up makes me want to sail off to the Venarian Sea.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:41 am

Personally Barak is less interested in the war (where we can at best be small puppets) and more interested in exploring what the rest of Ivinian and Harn can bring in terms of fame and fortune. He has little to tie him to Menglana - other than a couple of semi-estranged family member, and a slave girl he probably can't afford to buy (and certainly can't afford to support).
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 am

bah how could you say Barak has no ties he has his wonderful cousins...

I actually did read all your threads steve. Smile
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Steve,

Welcome to our campaign, I look forward to integrating you into our little band.

Sorry for my late welcome, I have been away on holidays (France) and at my sister-in-law's wedding.

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down