2 Nuzyael 720

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:25 pm

The boat continues to sail further north east up the Leim River, passing a few small thrans on both banks.

The river is alive with the various watercraft plying their trade. Larger trade vessels filled by the way they sit low in the water take trade goods to some distant destination down river. Smaller fishing craft cast small nets to bring home the days catch.

Sea birds fly over head, the sky is clearing into a majestic blue sky the wind continues to blow steadily from the south west and the day looks to be clear and fine. The temperature has begun to rise and you find yourselves like the crew removing your heavier outlayers of clothing and enjoy the sun against your skin.

The crew of the 'waverider' appear to be taking this trip casually, the captain stands tall near the stern while the journeyman pilot stands holding the tiller while guideing the boat through the water with apparent ease. Every now and then the crew are roused and the sails re-trimmed with the slight changes in wind direction.

As your warband continue the discussion concerning the fate of Hovik on his arrival in Froyaheim, the captain moves forward towards you, a letter is held in his right hand. His ease of movement on the boat displays his years sea time.

By midday the boat begins to pass another cluster of unfamiliar thrans and smaller hamlets. One of the crewmen points out to you that you are now in Storzarlund.

Sheld stands near your warband seated amidships in the knarr and offers the letters to Madrin. "I was to give you this once we were underway. The Daas bid me remain silent on this until now." With a shrug of his shoulders Sheld turns and resumes his position near the stern of the boat.

Taking the letter Madrin notes that it bears the seal of the Valhakar, Madrin opens the offered letter, the letter is written in the very hand of Cunate himself, Madrin reads it aloud to his companions.

My kith and kin...

I was asked by you before you sailed why I selected you to bear this news to my friend the Storzar. I offer you my reasons, for this important task I can trust you young men to fulfil it without hesitation and represent me with honour. You have the vigour and keeness of youth to guide you and the toils of age have not worn your spirits. I have watched you all over the last few years and have seen how you have all grown into fine men worthy of representing me on this task.

You were selected for your talents Madrin you are my head, you bear the clan law and the clan history and have an understanding of our culture which will place your warband in great stead. Neirin you are the warbands eyes, you can see what others cannot. Jurri you are the groups voice I have oft watched you perform and have seen the way that the audience hang on every word you offer and every note you play. Hovik you are the groups heart, you have an art to treating the wounded and the ailing. Should any of you suffer injury I would trust no other than you to treat their sickness. Kugald and Thorin you are the warbands sword and shield. I put their protection in your care. Algared yours is the most difficult to describe, your companions tasks all lie in the physical world, your talents do not. I trust in your knowledge of the arcane to be of aid should the warband require it. It was hinted that Ibanvaal might have use of the arcace and for this reason you travel with your companions.

I sense that it were not for this task that some of you would still have remained only familiar faces to each other. The time comes for you to become sword brothers - for as you know we march to war.

I hope I have settled answered your question why you were selected for this task. My the Grey Slayer watch over you until you are safe by your families hearth fire and may the Ljarl guide you on your journey
.
Jarl of Ygesdram and Valhakar of clan Daas
Cunate Daas
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Madrin looks up from the letter and passes his eyes over all his companions.

"It would seem our Valhakar has made his own decisions on the structure of our group."

Folding the letter, Madrin places it in his belt.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Madrin Trilsten wrote:Looking sidelong at Algared, Madrin replies.

"If you had noticed, Algared, that I have not put myself forward, nor would I want to, but your 'faith' in my leadership skills not with standing, I am not surprised you would talk against me at any rate being whose son you are"

Algared looks at Madrin, and is about to speak when the note is given to party once madrin has read the note he says, "Madrin, I have not maligned your name nor discredited you, do me the honour of not maligning mine. For one who has the mind of a scholar and knowledge of law you show you know nothing of men with your insults. You tar me with the brush you would tar my father because you have ensured justice. My faith in your leadership is as great as the faith in my own, whereas I have known Kugald's loyalty leadership and shield since I was a boy.

Our Lord still does does not say any are leader he describes our roles, yours is the knowldge of law and the mind, Kugald is chosen with his martial skill. If you were not so blinded by your hatred of my father you would have heard me say, indeed stress we were each here for our skills and which would compliment each other."

Stung by the bitterness of Madrin's words, Algared rises and walks away as much as is possible, turning his back upon the wrydsman and companions.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Hovik rolls his eyes a says with a grin:

"Madrin, Algared, would you two kiss and make up already? In fact, can everyone kiss and make up with Madrin now? I know, I know, when so many words come out of one mouth at least one or two words are going to feel sharp, and it's annoying when this guy talks you into a knot. But he really can't help it. If Madrin's tongue ever slowed down he wouldn't be able to breathe. So cut him some slack!"

"You'll know when Madrin is really mad at you when the words cut so deep you bleed. If it came to it, I could use his tongue in a surgery!"

"Now get yourselves together. We have important things left to talk about. Like my neck, which is still very much on the line."

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:37 am

Hovik wrote:

"Now get yourselves together. We have important things left to talk about. Like my neck, which is still very much on the line."

Glancing at Hovik, Algared responds. You are indeed a treasure Hovik and an integral member of our band. For even a scratch can kill more surely than any blade without a physicans care. My Lord the Daas has bound us all together as brothers thus I would rather not quibble and search for minute clauses within the law, as at least one of the thrangaad has muttered in his cups on the issue of you situation. As far as I am concerned you are one of our warband and thus we are obliged to guard and portect you, as you also guard and protect us.

I believed that Madrin was noble man, unafraid to stand up to my father or others to ensure that the law provided justice. Though, I see my belief may have been wrong. Now I wonder, was it spite and hatred, that drove him to use the law he knows so well again against my father?"

Sighing slightly Algared takes breathe before continuing. "Regardless of Madrin's true reasons in his dealings with my father, you are right we need to know our enemies and those that attack our band and you present us with a possible enemy that will seek to rip out our heart. Surely as you say, Madrin can fight with words as sharp and keen as Kugald's blade. Maybe on the issue of your fate he can find examples the law that save us all. The God's know my father has claimed he finds needle in the law with which to pirck him."

Algared having spoken now gazes out over the waters, the Daas has indeed included him with more than mere fancy and if there are amongst the foes practicers of the esoteric arts wonders if he will have the skills required to fight or fend for the warband. Signing deeply, he leans on the rail gazing into the waters lost in thought before he begins quiet prayers to Sarajin, his prayers and the musings of his mind only betrayed by the occassional movement of his lips.


Last edited by GM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 am

Algared wrote:
“I have not hidden my view as to whom I see the leader of this venture is. Though we are served well in skills, from wyrdsman to hunter and tracker to cook, each has skills to compliment the other. As to a leader of our band it is without doubt Kugald, for as Daas he will support and see our kin's wishes achieved for there is the bond of blood, similarly the disgrace should we fail will fall upon the Daas.. I do not know about the rest of you but I for one would feel more comfortable with Kugald leading us into battle were it required than say Madrin or myself for that matter....' Algared stops as several turn and seem about to protest, "but each of us whether great in arms or oratory has been deemed essential to the Daas' plans and in ensuring his messages arrive in a timely fashion."

“Thank you for your confidence cousin. I agree, our task must be to ensure the Daas’ message,” Kugald gives Algared an ever so subtle wink, “and letters get through.”

Madrin wrote:
"If you had noticed, Algared, that I have not put myself forward, nor would I want to, but your 'faith' in my leadership skills not with standing, I am not surprised you would talk against me at any rate being whose son you are"

Madrin wrote:
“Of course you are forgiven Kugald. I took no real offence" Madrin smiles.

Kugald takes Madrin’s wrist firmly. “Excellent. I consider the matter past like water under the keel.” He looks over at Algared. “I think we should all do the same.”

“No matter what may have happened between us, between our friends, or ‘especially’ between our families, we can ill afford to have bad blood in our little band. I suggest we let bygones be bygones. If my instincts are right, I think soon enough we will have more than enough enemies to deal with and our previous differences will shrink into insignificance.”

Sheld brings Madrin the letter from the Daas. Madrin reads it aloud.

Kugald smiles. “That’s my cousin alright.”

“It is the word of the Daas, so I would follow it no matter what it said, but his insight is profound. If we are to succeed, each must take the lead at different times. When learning and wisdom is needed, let Madrin guide us. In the forest, Neirin’s hunter and scout skills prevail. If there are many to be swayed to our cause, then Jurri is the one to do it…he has done it to me often enough over the years. Hovik’s skill with healing may mean the difference between life and a lifetime maimed or even death, only a fool would try and tell him what to do in those matters. Alagred, little cousin, it seems you have a secret…so that is what you were doing all those years you were away. Don’t worry, I will keep your secret fast and not pry. Tell me what you will, when it seems required. Thorin, you and I seem to have the most straightforward task. Lock shields and point us at the enemy.” Kugald bumps fists with his burly companion and grins wolfishly, “Sounds like more fun anyway!”

“So, the Daas has spoken. Let there be no more talk of leaders. We all know our place and our strength. If there needs to be a chief at some point, I will do my best, but I will depend on all of you to help guide my hand.”

He laughs, “Most especially, Jurri and Madrin, I will need you to guide my words, or better yet speak for the group, for Sarajin knows, I can get into more trouble faster with an ill chosen word than anything else, witness today. Fortunately, our first skirmish of words was only among friends and all is quickly forgiven. Once we reach Froyaheim, the stakes are much higher and forgiveness far rarer.”

Madrin wrote:
"As to our Hovik problem. There is no guarantee that a weregild will be offered. On that note, there may be no one that actually lays a claim to Hovik. If there is no one alive to claim him, then he is a free man. Of course a period of time must elapse before we can safely say that he is no longer indentured. If the unfortunate event shall arise that someone does rise to claim their thrall, then we are able to offer a weregild, but there is no guarantee that it will be accepted, and further to that, in this instance, a weregild would just be transference of ownership as there is no existing vendetta or blood feud. Of course we can deny them their property and we, or more to the point, the Daas, would incur a vendetta with the owners of Hovik."

“Hmmm…” Kugald rubs his beard.

“I have no desire to instigate a vendetta at such a critical time. We should avoid this if at all possible.”

Madrin wrote:
"I do not envy the decision that needs to be made, but I would not want to be party to a vendetta. If we were to live by the letter of the law, which I would hope that we would, then if the owners of Hovik's indenture asks for their property back we would have little choice. Let us all hope there is no one here to lay a claim."

The weaponcrafter looks off the starboard side of the ship at the passing hamlets.

“Letter of the law you say…”

“I have had a thought. It is a long shot and twists the law to the cliff edge. I need your wisdom,” he says, looking back at Madrin.

“I don’t think anyone would deny that Hovik Helegen ‘was’ a thrall of Clan Surenaal of Froyby. However, Froyby was captured by the Ibanvaalese, thus, legally wouldn’t Hovik have became the property of his new Ibanvaalese masters? Then, when Hovik fled Froyby, wasn’t he running from his new Ibanvaalese masters rather than Clan Surenaal? And now that he has revealed himself to me as being Orbaalese property, do I not have the right to ‘capture’ him as war booty of a foreign invader?”

Kugald whips out his dagger menacingly, and then smiles, winks at Hovik and thrusts the dagger back in its scabbard.

“Now that I have ‘captured’ him, is he not mine to do with as I please? Even to free?”

“Then, as a freed man, does he not have the right to swear allegiance to any clan he chooses? Say…” Kugald smiles broadly, “Clan Daas?”

“And finally, once he is a sworn retainer of Clan Daas, is he not under our protection and any who should attempt to take him would themselves be risking vendetta?”

“What say you, Madrin?”

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 am

As the warband continue their discussion on who will lead, you notice Sheld start to walk towards the prow of the boat towards you he looks none to pleased and their is a quickness in his step not yet seen by you. Perhaps something is wrong aboard his boat.

As Algared rejoins you he stops, a wry smile on his face as he catches the words from Kugald's mouth. Sheld turns and with a barely noticeable shake of his head he returns to his place on the stern. He continues to scan the river for hidden sand bars and other dangers.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 am

Algared wrote:

I believed that Madrin was noble man, unafraid to stand up to my father or others to ensure that the law provided justice. Though, I see my belief may have been wrong. Now I wonder, was it spite and hatred, that drove him to use the law he knows so well again against my father?"


Sighing, Madrin looks over to Algared.

"I have never done anything but serve the law Algared. I hold no feelings towards your father, it is my decisions that has turned his feelings towards anger. But Hovik is right, I sometimes let my mouth run away with me. You have never done anything against me. Here I am reprimanding Kugald for his words and I speak without putting any thought behind my own."

Madrin shakes his head at his own stupidity.

"I tell you all I do not want to have any leadership role, and yet I see something behind someone saying they would rather follow someone else. Foolishness is not normally one of traits, but it seems I have done nothing but exude it."

Madrin places his hand on his chest and turns to face Algared.

"Forgive my stupidity Algared, you are a fine man. Your own man. You would not let your fathers feelings sway you one way or the other. And in all the years, whilst we have never ran in the same circles, you have never been anything but civil to me and we have at least always gotten along."

"Please accept my humble apologies"

Kugald Daas wrote:
“It is the word of the Daas, so I would follow it no matter what it said, but his insight is profound. If we are to succeed, each must take the lead at different times. When learning and wisdom is needed, let Madrin guide us. In the forest, Neirin’s hunter and scout skills prevail. If there are many to be swayed to our cause, then Jurri is the one to do it…he has done it to me often enough over the years. Hovik’s skill with healing may mean the difference between life and a lifetime maimed or even death, only a fool would try and tell him what to do in those matters. Alagred, little cousin, it seems you have a secret…so that is what you were doing all those years you were away. Don’t worry, I will keep your secret fast and not pry. Tell me what you will, when it seems required. Thorin, you and I seem to have the most straightforward task. Lock shields and point us at the enemy.” Kugald bumps fists with his burly companion and grins wolfishly, “Sounds like more fun anyway!”

“So, the Daas has spoken. Let there be no more talk of leaders. We all know our place and our strength. If there needs to be a chief at some point, I will do my best, but I will depend on all of you to help guide my hand.”

He laughs, “Most especially, Jurri and Madrin, I will need you to guide my words, or better yet speak for the group, for Sarajin knows, I can get into more trouble faster with an ill chosen word than anything else, witness today. Fortunately, our first skirmish of words was only among friends and all is quickly forgiven. Once we reach Froyaheim, the stakes are much higher and forgiveness far rarer.”


"That is also my thought. We each have strengths. This is what I eluded to earlier. Following you and thurin in battle would be natural, just as letting Algared lead us in matters of the arcane. I must be slipping if I am not able to get my points across. But yes Kugald, I agree whole heartedly. No real leaders, just a group with strengths."


Kugald Daas wrote:
“I have had a thought. It is a long shot and twists the law to the cliff edge. I need your wisdom,” he says, looking back at Madrin.

“I don’t think anyone would deny that Hovik Helegen ‘was’ a thrall of Clan Surenaal of Froyby. However, Froyby was captured by the Ibanvaalese, thus, legally wouldn’t Hovik have became the property of his new Ibanvaalese masters? Then, when Hovik fled Froyby, wasn’t he running from his new Ibanvaalese masters rather than Clan Surenaal? And now that he has revealed himself to me as being Orbaalese property, do I not have the right to ‘capture’ him as war booty of a foreign invader?”

Kugald whips out his dagger menacingly, and then smiles, winks at Hovik and thrusts the dagger back in its scabbard.

“Now that I have ‘captured’ him, is he not mine to do with as I please? Even to free?”

“Then, as a freed man, does he not have the right to swear allegiance to any clan he chooses? Say…” Kugald smiles broadly, “Clan Daas?”

“And finally, once he is a sworn retainer of Clan Daas, is he not under our protection and any who should attempt to take him would themselves be risking vendetta?”

“What say you, Madrin?”

Madrin Shakes his head.

"I applaud your ingenuity Kuglad, but Im afraid that Hovik is the property of a clan, and not a holding. Therefore if any surviving members of the clan that holds Hoviks Thralldom, asks for his return, then we have very few options. I wish it were otherwise. But, we may be worrying for nothing. No one may rise to claim him, and all this talk may be for naught."

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:29 am

Hovik replaies to Madrin's fast comment. "I imagine that there will be at least a little tiff - and I think that is very much the intention of the Daas."

"Now that we know that the Daas knew who I was all along, you must wonder why he put me on this boat. Wouldn't he have been wiser to keep me with his soldiers? A good doctor can save many lives after a battle. And he surely knew that I'd be recognized in Froyaheim. Even if Clan Surenaal does not claim me - and put the Storzar in a difficult situation - what an insult it would be to the Storzar to have a mere thrall in the delegation!"

"And note that he made sure I was a thrall. He could have slapped me in chains and sent me as a peace offering. He could have elevated me to freedom and prepared to pay a wergild. He did none of those things. Why not? Why would he send a mere thrall - and a survivor of Froyby - on this mission."

"How could the Daas, as far-seeing as he has been, have committed this Frobyan schlepp?"

Hovik pauses for a moment to allow his words to sink in.

"He sent me specifically to tweak the Storzar. Consider the situation. He knows there are spies in both Ygesdram and Froyaheim. So he gives us one message in writing for public consumption, and another verbally for trusted ears only. But what spy wouldn't see through that!? The spies will surely dog our tail and try to ferret out the secret - and most likely succeed."

"But by insulting the Storzar in this unmistakable way he gives us cover. It gives credence to our public pronouncement in a way that even the most cynical spy would believe. Let Madrin and Jurri use all their cunning to tell the Storzar how much the Daas loves his ally the Storzar - the whole thran will see the insult that is Hovik and know the Daas has broken irrevocably with Froyaheim."

"That's why I told you before, you will not give me over to Clan Surenaal. Whatever the tiff - whether it be the Surenaal pressing their claim for me, or the Storzar being angry at giving hospitality to a thrall - we have to maintain our ground. In doing so we protect the main deception."

"He's pretty clever, this Cunate Daas. I now regret not having played him at Fox and Geese."

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:05 am

Hovik wrote:

Hovik replaies to Madrin's fast comment. "I imagine that there will be at least a little tiff - and I think that is very much the intention of the Daas."

"Now that we know that the Daas knew who I was all along, you must wonder why he put me on this boat. Wouldn't he have been wiser to keep me with his soldiers? A good doctor can save many lives after a battle. And he surely knew that I'd be recognized in Froyaheim. Even if Clan Surenaal does not claim me - and put the Storzar in a difficult situation - what an insult it would be to the Storzar to have a mere thrall in the delegation!"

"And note that he made sure I was a thrall. He could have slapped me in chains and sent me as a peace offering. He could have elevated me to freedom and prepared to pay a wergild. He did none of those things. Why not? Why would he send a mere thrall - and a survivor of Froyby - on this mission."

"How could the Daas, as far-seeing as he has been, have committed this Frobyan schlepp?"

Hovik pauses for a moment to allow his words to sink in.

"He sent me specifically to tweak the Storzar. Consider the situation. He knows there are spies in both Ygesdram and Froyaheim. So he gives us one message in writing for public consumption, and another verbally for trusted ears only. But what spy wouldn't see through that!? The spies will surely dog our tail and try to ferret out the secret - and most likely succeed."

"But by insulting the Storzar in this unmistakable way he gives us cover. It gives credence to our public pronouncement in a way that even the most cynical spy would believe. Let Madrin and Jurri use all their cunning to tell the Storzar how much the Daas loves his ally the Storzar - the whole thran will see the insult that is Hovik and know the Daas has broken irrevocably with Froyaheim."

Madrin turns his full attention to Hovik.

"It seems that all of us suffer from thinking before we speak. You are saying that the Jarl has willingly insulted Storzar or is playing you for a fool. I for one, do not like the assumption you make."

Grabbing the letter from his belt, Madrin reads : Hovik you are the groups heart, you have an art to treating the wounded and the ailing. Should any of you suffer injury I would trust no other than you to treat their sickness

Holding the letter out to show Hovik.

"It seems to me you think to little of our valhakar. I saw NO WHERE in that letter that spoke of your service to anyone. There is no mention he knows of your status. Until you told us we knew nothing. It was your words that brought forth this problem. Cunate has put into words, that he trusts you to care for us, that YOU are the heart of our group and here you sit besmirching his name."

Folding the letter and placing it back in his belt, Madrin looks to Kuglad and Algared for support.

"Tell him. Tell him your cousin is a man of his word. He would not mince words with us. If he meant for you to be returned then he would slap chains on you and do so. Insult Storzar, do you really think that is what he wants? And how, praytell, could he 'free' you. Only the surviving members of the clan you serve can do so. And if none remain, automatically you are free. I think maybe, whilst I completely understand why you did not, it is you who has done the betraying and not Cunateby withholding the truth."

Smiling slightly at that last comment and holding up his hand palm out to take the sting out of it.

"I would not wish otherwise at current tho, as your humour is quite welcome. Perhaps another reason you are chosen yes?. He has trusted you Hovik. Believe in that trust. I certainly do."

Hovik wrote:
"That's why I told you before, you will not give me over to Clan Surenaal. Whatever the tiff - whether it be the Surenaal pressing their claim for me, or the Storzar being angry at giving hospitality to a thrall - we have to maintain our ground. In doing so we protect the main deception."

Madrin took on a much more serious demeanour

"We will 'maintain' nothing. If they press their claim, I will do all I can to wheedle you out of it, I cannot speak for others" Waving his arm around at the companions "but I will not break the law NOR bring dishonour to my clan or that of Clan Daas, by inciting a vendetta. You must have faith in us now, and know that we will do ALL we can to prevent your being back in thralldom. This I swear. You are all my brothers and I would do no less for you than I would my own blood kin"

Madrin pulled a knife and quickly slashed his palm.

"On my blood, do I swear, I pledge my sword and my life to you all"

Clenching his hand into a fist and shaking blood to the floor, Madrin looks to Hovik.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 am

"Madrin, Madrin, Madrin. Here I praise the Daas for his cunning, and you take it as an insult! Perhaps you missed a point - I never served as physician to anyone in Ygesdram, and just did a little herb-collecting and the like for Hervold. But the Daas specifically praises my skills. Which means two things - he learned it from someone else (probably a Froyby refugee), and he kept it a secret for a very long time."

"Think about how brilliant that was. He guessed that if I knew he knew, I'd run away before he could make use of me. Instead he kept his knowledge to himself and waited for this opportunity. The man plays a very deep game!"

"And all I'm saying is that his game in Froyaheim is equally deep. He seeks to present the Storzar with an insult, to impress upon any spies that he has truly broken with the Storzar and will not support the battle against Ibanvaal. Of course the Storzar himself will learn the truth eventually - but only after the deception no longer matters. But until that time comes, we must all work to keep up the deception. And that means maintaining my position against whatever challenges we face - from Surenaal or Storzar. I"m telling you, that's what the Daas intended."

"Had he intended anything else, I would either be in Ygesdram, or I'd be in chains. All things considered, I am quite happy with the Daas' plan."

"Oooh. Why'd you go and cut your hand? That is going to sting in all this salt air. Here, let me see it. I have some salve in my pouch. Is this something you do a lot?"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 am

Looking drily at Hovik.

"Yes.. I usually cut my hand in front of people. It is a grand pasttime." Throwing a playful swat at Hovik. "Of course I do not you dolt" Smiling Madrin continues "I see your point as to the 'insult' towards the Storzar, but I am not sure that Cunate wanted us to be involved in a fight over you if it comes to that. There is either more to it than we all think including you, or nothing to it. I would prefer that there is nothing to it. Would make for a much more placid journey."

Looking on with mock horror Madrin exclaims "Mighty Sarajin. How can we trust our health to such a butcher. Be careful with that would you, it isn't a length of beef" Madrin finishes with a small chuckle.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:02 am

Kugald Daas wrote:

Kugald smiles. “That’s my cousin alright.”

“It is the word of the Daas, so I would follow it no matter what it said, but his insight is profound. If we are to succeed, each must take the lead at different times. When learning and wisdom is needed, let Madrin guide us. In the forest, Neirin’s hunter and scout skills prevail. If there are many to be swayed to our cause, then Jurri is the one to do it…he has done it to me often enough over the years. Hovik’s skill with healing may mean the difference between life and a lifetime maimed or even death, only a fool would try and tell him what to do in those matters. Alagred, little cousin, it seems you have a secret…so that is what you were doing all those years you were away. Don’t worry, I will keep your secret fast and not pry. Tell me what you will, when it seems required. Thorin, you and I seem to have the most straightforward task. Lock shields and point us at the enemy.” Kugald bumps fists with his burly companion and grins wolfishly, “Sounds like more fun anyway!”

“So, the Daas has spoken. Let there be no more talk of leaders. We all know our place and our strength. If there needs to be a chief at some point, I will do my best, but I will depend on all of you to help guide my hand.”

He laughs, “Most especially, Jurri and Madrin, I will need you to guide my words, or better yet speak for the group, for Sarajin knows, I can get into more trouble faster with an ill chosen word than anything else, witness today. Fortunately, our first skirmish of words was only among friends and all is quickly forgiven. Once we reach Froyaheim, the stakes are much higher and forgiveness far rarer.”

Algared resumes his place with the warband, drawn by Kugald's wrods, his cheeks flushed, annoyed at himself that a few words claiming he was his fathers son had so hurt. His father is a srewd merchant but bends the law when he can to break from the essence of the law rather than the letter of it, and likely breaks a few of the laws "lesser stands" when he can. "Do I so resemble my father" Algared almost speaks the words allowed, instead he chuckles as he understands his fathers frustrations when dealing with matters of the law and Madrin.

Algared listens as madrin seeks to heal the rift between the, accepting the gracious apology at its face value but still smarting and annoyed that he allowed himself grow so easy to find insult.
Algared looks to Kugald and smiles knowing it is his cousins words that drew him back into the group, opening his ears to be willing to hear madrin's apology, and listens as his cousin seeks to play the letter of the law to solve the problem they may face.

Kugald Daas wrote:
The weaponcrafter looks off the starboard side of the ship at the passing hamlets.

“Letter of the law you say…”

“I have had a thought. It is a long shot and twists the law to the cliff edge. I need your wisdom,” he says, looking back at Madrin.

avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:55 am

Madrin Trilsten wrote:
"Tell him. Tell him your cousin is a man of his word. He would not mince words with us. If he meant for you to be returned then he would slap chains on you and do so. Insult Storzar, do you really think that is what he wants? And how, praytell, could he 'free' you. Only the surviving members of the clan you serve can do so. And if none remain, automatically you are free. I think maybe, whilst I completely understand why you did not, it is you who has done the betraying and not Cunate by withholding the truth."


Smiling slightly at that last comment and holding up his hand palm out to take the sting out of it.

"I would not wish otherwise at current tho, as your humour is quite welcome. Perhaps another reason you are chosen yes?. He has trusted you Hovik. Believe in that trust. I certainly do."

"It is possible, Madrin that Our lord Daas did indeed fathom Hovik's true standing. If I recall he did not arrive in the thran as journeyman but merely worked as a herb collector, and yet Cunate recognizes his skill. We do not know what exact knowledge Cunate has, but we do know he had not informed Sweld Storzar of the message we deliver in these letters. We only know what we have been told, and that required previous contact and planning. But my cousin is a man of honour and of his word.

Though we seems we are approaching this problem the way my father deals with the law. Tell me Madrin, when my father has had dealing with you over the law do you seek to hold the letter of the law or the essence of it's intent. What is the essence...." Algared gets no further as Madrin continues before drawing his knife to make his bloodoath.


Last edited by GM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:45 pm

OOC: Before I start this post, I want to make it explicitly clear that I am talking ‘in character’ as Kugald Daas, member of the ruling clan and person of lifelong privilege. This is not my personal opinion and I want to stress it is not a personal attack by Kerry Mould against anyone else in this game. I just wanted to say this, because Kugald is going to be blunt if not downright rude. 



Kugald does his best imitation of his cousin, Cunate. He raises his right hand and in a cool, measured tone says simply, but forcefully, “Enough!”

“Hovik, you nominated me leader and the others agreed,” he looks over at Madrin and a few others, “or at very least did not object. So, therefore, here is my first official decision as your ‘leader’.”

“As of this moment, Hovik, you are MY thrall. I claim you as war booty from our Ibanvaalese invaders. You are NOT a member of this delegation, I, a true born Daas, am. You are present purely as my thrall and body servant. Thus, there is no insult to Clan Storzar.”

“You will talk to no one outside our group unless directly addressed. You will keep your head down and not make eye contact with anyone in Froyaheim. If you are addressed, you will answer in as short and simple terms as possible, preferably yes or no. If they ask who you are, you will say, ‘I am Kugald Daas’ thrall.’”

“Is…that…clear?”

“The only words I want to hear out of your mouth are yes or no. Because if I hear anything else, my second order will be to have Thorin here,” Kugald slaps the burly man on the shoulder, “grab you by your scrawny little neck and stuff you in a sack. If you’re lucky, I will just have him throw you in the hold and have Sheld take you back to the Daas for judgement. If you are unlucky and piss me off, I will just have him dump you over the side, and let Sarajin be your judge.”

“So, what is your one word?”

Kugald looks Hovik hard straight in the eyes and cracks his knuckles ominously.

Once that issue is resolved, Kugald turns to Madrin.

“Thank you for your legal advice. I agree, he is likely still Clan Surenaal property, however I think our best course of action is to try and brazen our way through. If anyone asks, I will simply say, ‘I captured him from the Ibanvaalese,’ followed by my best and most dangerous warrior look, some flexing muscles and dare them to ask more. If they press me and demand wergild…and it is reasonable amount and within my means…I will pay it and the manner will be done. If they do not offer wergild or their price is unreasonable, well…let’s board that ship when it comes ashore.”

Algared wrote:
Algared resumes his place with the warband, drawn by Kugald's wrods, his cheeks flushed, annoyed at himself that a few words claiming he was his fathers son had so hurt.

“Welcome back cousin. Both you and Madrin are good men. It was the Valhakar’s decision that went against your father, not Madrin’s. Let us leave the disagreement between them. We are our own men now. The Valhakar has put us together as a war band. Let us do our best to stay together, to do else would profit only our enemies.”

GM wrote:
As the warband continue their discussion on who will lead, you notice Sheld start to walk towards the prow of the boat towards you he looks none to pleased and their is a quickness in his step not yet seen by you. Perhaps something is wrong aboard his boat.

As Algared rejoins you he stops, a wry smile on his face as he catches the words from Kugald's mouth. Sheld turns and with a barely noticeable shake of his head he returns to his place on the stern. He continues to scan the river for hidden sand bars and other dangers.

Kugald notes Sheld’s movements.

“It seems our excessive talking does not sit well with our host…either that, or there is trouble ahead.”

“We have been running in circles like dogs chasing their tails. Let us move forward, facing the future and challenges that Sarajin has set out for us rather than endlessly debating what MIGHT happen like an old women’s sewing circle.”

“Let us see to our weapons and break our fast.”

In a pompous tone, Kugald says, “I have spoken.”

He manages to hold a straight face for a heartbeat or two before breaking out in gales of laughter.

“Sarajin’s beard, I sounded like grandfather there for a heartbeat.”

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Yep, I'm in Jarlak's maw. It's like a game of Fox and Goose and Goose and Goose and Goose and Goose. But Kugald is the only one with any chance of getting this flock to fly together, so I have to back him up.

"Kugald, as you say so shall it be." But Hovik's attention is entirely on Madrin's hand. "Be quiet, Madrin. I had birthing women that squawked less than you do. Oops. I think that was vinegar. The salve is in the other jar."

Keep up the jokes, Hovik. First rule of doctoring - the physician is never allowed to have a bad day.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Hovik wrote:
"Kugald, as you say so shall it be."

One word, yes or no, that's all he needed to say. Kugald shakes his head. Popping Hovik in a sack and dropping him overboard was so tempting. Nevertheless, he did agree in his wordy way. So, the weaponcrafter decides to let it pass.

Kugald takes some bread and cheese from his bag and slices off a piece of each before handing them to Neirin. "Takes some and pass it on."

After finishing his light breakfast, he stands up and makes his way back to Sheld, with relatively steady sea legs, well at least he doesn't embarass himself.

"Captain, thank you for the letter. How long until we reach Froyaheim? Is there anything you need from us?"

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:07 am

Neirin accepts the food offered by Kugald with a nod of thanks. He takes a small portion and passes the bread and cheese along to the rest of the group. The tribesman has been sitting quietly on the periphery of the conversations concerning the groups leadership and Hovik's status, not particularly interested in the result of either, though the thought of fishing a wet sack filled with Hovik from the ocean did make the hunter question his conviction towards the life-debt. The other thought of defending Hovik against the mighty Kugald seems equally unappealing. Indeed, it occurs to Neirin that the life-debt might not even need to be repaid if Hovik were to *talk* his way to his own end.

When the letter from the Valhakar was read, Neirin was pleased to know his own part in the journey ahead. Noticing that the movement of the boat is not as bad as he had thought, the tribesman rises and walks towards the front of the boat to look about and fulfil his role as the "eyes".

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:48 am

Madrin looks at Kugald with a wry smile and a small shake of the head.

Already Madrin is regretting not saying a flat out no to Kugald. The 'power' of being 'chosen' leader is obviously gone to his head. He doesnt have the ability to make the right decisions in all circumstances, even now he breaks the law by claiming a thrall that is not his to claim. It is just another case of muscle over brain power. Even a leader should know his own limitations and take the advice of those better informed.

Madrin walks away from the group to the rail to stare over the waters as they make their way to Froyaheim.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:27 am

[quote="Kugald Daas]"Captain, thank you for the letter. How long until we reach Froyaheim? Is there anything you need from us?"[/quote]

Sheld smiles at the approaching weaponsmith. "No need to thank me, they were given to Jurgaan when he recieved our orders, with instructions to give them to you once we were underway." With a quick look to the sky towards the south west he says "If the wind stays like this, we should get another league or so perhaps more upriver before we need to make a course change and then we should slow down some, the King of the Icy Winds seems to approve of your task, he has been most kind with the wind and the weather today. Perhaps he will swing the wind to the north west for us, that will see us arrive in Froyaheim just before dusk, otherwise it will not be before tomorrow morning that we dock. I do not risk the boat travelling these waters at night."

With shake of his head Sheld says "No, there is nothing you need do but enjoy the trip. The Valhakar has ordered your trip to be as restful as possible." he adds with a smile.

"I see there is some concern amid your warband?" The look on Sheld's face hardens as he says this.

"You will need to lower your voices too, the wind has a nasty habit of carrying voices out on the water!" Sheld adds. "and while my crew are a handsome bunch I don't know their politics." Sheld winks at Kugald and their is a hint of a smile on his face.

Looking of Kugald's shoulder he adds "Seems the meeting is over!" indicating the warband members now scattering themselves around the boat.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:47 am

GM wrote:
"I see there is some concern amid your warband?" The look on Sheld's face hardens as he says this.

"No. Not anymore. Just a friendly discussion about whose who. I think we are done."

GM wrote:
"You will need to lower your voices too, the wind has a nasty habit of carrying voices out on the water!" Sheld adds. "and while my crew are a handsome bunch I don't know their politics." Sheld winks at Kugald and their is a hint of a smile on his face.

"Aye. We aren't in Ygesdram anymore. I will remind the lads to keep their conversations private. I thank you for your advice. I best see to my weapons."

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:31 am

Jurri will observe all this without interrupting, satisfied that it has probably run it's course.

He will offer to help pass the journey with music, songs, or stories, whether for the crew or his fellow passengers. He doesn't get in the way of those who are working, and keeps the content lighthearted and energetic. He switches to something else every twenty minutes or so, which leaves out most of the eddaic poetry, but he might engage in a few "highlights" as the mood strikes him. Mostly, he'll stick to songs the crew can sing along with if they choose. He'll position himself somewhat between his companions and the majority of the crew, or even roam back and forth, so as to provide a "sound curtain" if they choose to engage in further conversations about politics or Hovik's exigent thralldom. He can't guarantee they won't be overheard, but he knows how to keep a crowd distracted, and looks on this as an investment in future passage.

If he gets an opportunity, he'll ask Neirin to teach him a few of his people's songs.
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:56 am

The wind continues to come from the south west but after midday the wind drop in strength and does not blow as swiftly. The day continues to be warm and the sky is a deep blue without a cloud to be seen. The sun has begun it's decent into the western sky.

The shipwright and his apprentice go about making small repairs to fixtures and the like and just maintaining the well being of the vessel.

With Jurri singing and playing the mood seems to lift aboard the 'waverider'. The crew join in where they can some sing blustfully while others just sing along to themselves. You each find yourself singing along either quietly as the tune catches you and sometimes out loud enjoying the atmosphere aboard.

Looking towards the stern you even notice Sheld tapping his foot along with the tunes. His gaze or attention never waivers though.

One of the duty crewman - Kellan - is tasked with preparing a meal. He removes from the ships store several packages and offers them to first the captain and then to each of the warband then the journeyman pilot, then then the 'erste' then seeming to follow no set order but you know otherwise each crewman recieves the same small package.

Opening the package it contains a small portion of salted pork, some dried apples, several peices of rye bread and a small cut of cheese. Each of you are also offered a tankard of ale to wash it all down with.

The 'waverider' sails futher up river at about 2-3 knots. As you watch the land pass by you notice that the boat seems to have a life of it's own. The watches continue to change, the captain maintains his vigilance from the stern and every now and then orders can be heard to make minor steering corrections to Jurgaans, he stand with the tiller under his arm watching both the sail and the river and seems to have quite some skill at handling the 'waverider' in the confines of the Leim river, while the 'erste' continues to keep a watchful eye on the crew and the sails. He too belows orders to the crew when sails need trimming due to a minor wind change. The off duty crew rest where and when they can, each crewman seems to have his favourite or 'allocated' position based on his seniority onboard.

By mid afternoon the 'waverider' makes a course change at the junction of the Leim and Froya Rivers steering to the south east following the Froya river. The wind blows in from the starboard side now. With your sailing knowledge you know that this should not affect the speed of the boat to much.

As you sail up the Froya river you begin to notice the fields standing idle, no one tends them nor is anyone seen preparing them for the coming sowing of the crops. The thrans you pass seem to have a different air hanging over them and their doesn't seem to be the usual bussle of a living, beathing thran. The boat seems to draw looks from those on the shore, especially those to windward as Jurri's music and singing carries across to them from the 'waverider'.

Some of the people on the shoreline offer a wave to you - but most seem to have other more pressing matters on their minds.

Sheld confirms that they will miss the high tide this afternoon but it should make no difference to the 'waverider', Froyaheim has a deepwater dock and they should arrive with about a quater of a watch or so before sunset.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:57 am

Staring out over the fields and the seemingly despondent people, Madrin starts running things through his head. Again his doubts start to creep up, but then he stops himself short. Maybe it is his arrogance that leads to these situations, not the 'lack' of knowledge, maybe thinking he knows MORE than the others. The more he thinks on it, the more he believes that he has in fact been putting himself above the others.

Rubbing his hands over his face and shaking his head, Madrin wonders how he got to this stage! Feelings of shame creep in. Now that he sees clearly, he starts thinking about the situations all over again.

Still he does not believe that a 'leader' is in order and that the choice of Kugald not the smartest. But then who? He himself would not take it. Algared as another Daas? Maybe, maybe not, but he has been quite eager to follow, so that does not show good leadership. Possibly Thorin? But again, another 'muscle'. Abandoing his line of thoughts as images of his swollen head appear in his head he thinks "Of course. If there is differing opinions, who then to make decisions?" Coming back to the question of who is best suited to that? Again, he cannot make up his mind, as if it his decision alone to make...

He will see how Kugald goes with the mantle. So long as he sees the abilities of his 'followers' and heeds them, then it will be fine. If he believes himself to be better or more suited to tasks outside his domain then something would have to be done. What? He does not know.

So far he has shown contempt for Madrin's legal advice. Not heeding his word on law. Again, another thought occurs to him. A case he worked on. In the end, the person in the right would not make a complaint since he had not the power to back it up or enforce it. This leads Madrin to think that Kugald maybe on to something, much to his chagrin. Thinking further, Madrin starts smiling at the fact that surely Clan Surenaal would not dare oppose the Daas since they are all but wiped out.

With a slightly audible "Of course" Madrin leaves the side of the boat and heads over to where Kugald stands, relatively, alone.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Algared takes the parcel of food he is offered by kellan, and seeing Madrin staring out over the fields and the seemingly despondent people takes the parcel destined for Madrin then approaches the rail where he stands. Madrin rubs his hands over his face and shakes his head lost in his thoughts his face showing doubt.

"Madrin, your vow was well done, but I'll wager you feel it has been for naught for what you desired to prevent seems to have been overtaken us. Kugald is a good man,but he will need our guidance and we shall need at times to lead, by example if not in name. In froyahiem they will look to one who is physically strong. But aswe know stength from our studies might does not always prove to be right or even victorious. You yourself have shown that when bringing my fathers ambition endeavours into check. I have also learnt that power can corrupt, and my studies have opened the doors to great power, it is partly for this reason I cannot lead."

Algared laughs trying lighten the mood as he seeks to encourage Madrin and forge the beginnings of friendship, even repair the damage both caused the other by ill chosen words," ...but truely who would expect me to lead a warband, on a mission such as this it would deliver insult, and yet they," Algared mothions to the land and the people on the shore, "will be looking for a leader. You know well I am left handed and little use to a shield wall, and I have never been spoken of highly by many. Kugald, has always looked to the care of the physically weaker. Take heart a time will come, when we free those like Hovik permanently from the shackles of Thralldom but also all his kin." Algared realises Madrin seems preoocupied with his own thought and demons and firmly places the bundle of food into his hands.

"Cheer up friend, together this warband, this band of unlikely companions, this band of brothers will prevail.' Algared says then steps aside giving Madrin room to continue his thoughts, whilst cursing himself silently for trying to intrude on anothers contemplations as he sees the shame seem to creep into Madrin's eyes, dropping downward. How often had he known that sense of failure, of guilt or embarressment when all else seemed to fall apart. As a youth it was so often his lot, his father's first wife and her sons never let him forget his failures and wasn't Skorri's first wife the daughter of some merchant in Froyaheim, not Algared was certain his reputation at least would have preceeded him.

Madrin seems to sigh deeply as he mutters the words "Of course", then turns leaving the side of the boat and heads over to where Kugald stands, relatively, alone. Algared opens the parcel of food and quietly eats before intending to spend some time in prayer.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Nuzyael 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum