From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River crossing

3 posters

Go down

River crossing Empty River crossing

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:27 am

Whilst sitting around the fire eating supper, Barak chats about how they are going to get across.

"I think we may be able to get accross tomorrow. The water level and speed seems to be dropping. By tomorrow afternoon I am prepared to give it a try.

I think everyone has to be responsible for getting their own gear accross. We should also split up the food so each person takes their own share.

What I would do would be to cut a stave to use as a prod to test the water depth as I go. I'd then tie a 4" loop on one end of Borygg's rope and slip it over my hand and as far up my arm as it would go. This will be my lifeline in case I fall and get dragged off down river. The small loop will use less rope than looping it around your waist.

Kuguld, being strong, should hold the free end of the rope. I carefully cross the river checking for deep spots and slippery rocks. the first time I leave my gear behind and don't go beyond the length of rope. If I am successful I come back for my gear and carry it accross. When I get as far as the end of the rope I slip it off my arm and make the rest of the way on my own, by then I should be in the shallows on the far back. I then dump my gear, and the next person crosses the same way, with the rope around their arm and Kuguld holding the far end. I can wade in and help anyone who needs it. Kugald should cross last. The second to last person must not let go of the rope - but should instead pass it to me. As Kuguld wades in to the river, I will back up until I am on dry land, once there I can hold the rope against Kulguld slipping.

Well that is my ideas, what doe people think?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

River crossing Empty Re: River crossing

Post  Algared Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 am

Algared speaks up, "Cousin you are a skilled hunter and tracker but can you swim? The water is deep and dark and we cannot as yet see the bottom. It is possible that the ghostly vision was of a man who has drowned here in the past. I am sorry but in good conscience I cannot adhere to your plan when I can swim quiet well. With Borryg's rope we can do as you first suggested and I can take it across and secure it to a tree or rock on the other side. Though I would swim across in merely my leggings and linen tunic leaving everything else here on this side. Once the rope is sured on both sides we can use it help us cross and use the second length of rope as a safety incase anyone slips. I am not sure how we weill be able to get our supplies across dry, though maybe Kugald would be able to throw some of the items across the distance ensuring they remained dry.

Although if we splice the rope together maybe we can tie the rope around a tree or post on each bank, in a loop and use it to pull gear or even each other across."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 am

"From what Borygg has said, I don't think we have enough rope to make it across the river, let alone to the it round trees, and certainly not enough to make a loop there and back."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

"Before trying this crossing, should we check up river to see if there are any better crossing points? I don't mind taking a walk up river tomorrow morning."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:58 pm

"After we breakfast tomorrow and let the morning meal settle, worst thing you want when you swim is a cramp, I should check the the crossing in much the way you intended Barak. If you want to head up river and see if you can find a better crossing, depending on how quickly the bank drops away under foot i should teach you all to swim," Algared smiles, "and in the process we can all have a wash." He then returns to his cleaning, washing or clothes and equipment as required. after a while he looks up again. "You know if the bank doesn't just drop away so I cann't touch bottom I'm certain we'll be able to toss the gear across. Especially if the other side is similar. Sometimes I just try to get to fancy in grand in my thinking. The width here looks to be just under 10', if we are able to wade in on either side 2 or 3 feet then we may even be able to pass the bags along without the risk of damaging equipment by throwing it across." looking to his friends Algared finishes with a question. "What do the rest of you think?"
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:29 pm

"I agree. Let's look for a better crossing point before we try this one. If there is no success, then Algared can go first with Borygg's rope tied around his arm."

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 pm

'Ahh so you want to have a cold bath and learn to swim in process Cousin." Algared laughs good naturedly.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down