15 Peonu 720

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 am

"Kugald, you know people hereabouts. Can we get some thralls to help with the work? Many hands make light work, as my old Grandad used to say. With half a dozen extra men we could finish the boat by tomorrow assuming we can get the parts we need - by fair means or foul"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:47 am

I assume that, as a mercantyler (smuggler, etc), Borygg knows a few things about getting cargo assembled and a ship provisioned for a voyage. Once we have the list put together of what all we need, Borygg can (at Kugald's direction, of course) take it to the Daas for approval then go around to all the places they can get supplies from and start the process of getting what they need.

Otherwise, Borygg will roll up his tunic sleeves and start caulking seams, winding rope, scraping barnacles, or whatever boat-readiness tasks he is directed.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Zeuol Djaon on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:51 am

When the Erling Storzar agrees, Zeuol steps back to where his was, offering the faintest of nods.

After everyone is dismissed the Savoryan Mage follows the group the boat, remaining quiet. However, when Barak mentions writing, Zeuol speaks up and states in an effort to alleviate Algarad, "I'm also literate, but not much of a cook"

avatar
Zeuol Djaon

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 42
Location : Toronto, ON, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net/zeuol-djaon-f37/zeuol-djaon-s-cha

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 am

"Borygg, I see you know your way around a boat" Bjarni asks while they work, "but how many of your comrades are sailors and how many are lubbers"

and to young Zouel he will add "Well I can cook and eat"

[OoC to GM - Can I get a maul as part of our supplies. Useful for hammering an anchor stake into the ground not to mention a few Daagen heads]

Post by GM Add it to your list of supplies
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:59 am

"We have all spent some time at sea but most of us are, at best, middling seamen. Algared knows a bit of piloting boats and Barak a bit of fixing them. That's about it. Of this Zeoul, I know nothing. Good thing we'll have you and Sigrun aboard."
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:10 am

"Well Borygg. This tub will need a crew of about eight. Two watches of four. Could get away with less but that puts people on watch-about which will tire us out in short order. We need an experienced helmsman and at least one experienced sailor per watch. The other two positions can be taken up by pretty much anyone who can haul a rope. Although these knarrs don't usually use oars, I wouldn't mind a few just in case we get becalmed or have to head upstream."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 am

"Right you are, Bjarni. Between you and me, 'Captain' Kugald isn't an experienced captain so I think he'll take kindly to any suggestions from you or Sigrun about how we should crew our new boat."
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 am

He laughs. "Phew - this bilge doesn't half stink of dead fish. Kind of makes one homesick, doesn't it. What can you tell me of Myna? I keep hearing this place mentioned but know nothing of it."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 am

"Ah, Myna. My clan is from Myna and I grew up there. I assume my parents and other kin are still there, although it has been a few years since last I saw them."

Borygg proceeds to tell Bjarni what he knows of Myna.

OOC: GM, feel free to insert here what Borygg can tell Bjarni about his hometown. As a player, I know nothing of Myna.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 am

Jurri will offer to help with any repairs that can make use of his woodworking skills. He won't use his tools though, as they are for instruments and probably won't hold up to the task.

Failing that, he can work at rounding up enough help to accomplish the repairs Bjarni mentioned.
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:19 am

Zeuol Djaon wrote:
...when Barak mentions writing, Zeuol speaks up and states in an effort to alleviate Algarad, "I'm also literate, but not much of a cook"


"Well met Zeuol..." Algared says and is about to say more but stops as Kugald having looked upon the Farvie and a months neglect, he cant help but run his hand through his hair. Well he thinks to himself it's going to take us all day to ready her to set sail, he looks to his friends and their new companions and says. "Looks like we have our work cut out for us, to bring her back to her former glory, none the less we will prevail. Now I expect the first task the Daas and Storzer have set us is to see whether we can get her ready to set to sea once more. Bjarni, what you think she'll need per watch? I'm thinking four crew means if Sigrun joins us we'll her help on watch as well or need to hire an extra crewman."

Kugald watches as Barak returned to his origins seems to be directing others. "Easy there Barak, I doubt for our first trip at sea the Daas will send us away for 15 days or more, I expect he'll be sending us on a task that will take at most 4 maybe 6 days so we are back well before any other plans he has install. But you are right we need to have a list of all the equipment we may need. Once we have the list I'll return with it to the Daas."

Kugald pauses a while as if thinking then adds "Lets get her seaworthy first and then we'll sort out the watches. But Bjarni you seem to be quiet at home aboard can you direct our efforts to get her ready. Yes, extra hands could be useful, lets get the supplies and tools first. With the refugees here i'm sure we can find the labour when we need it, if we have time and labour maybe we could careen her hull as well. Though first lets see what we need for repairs, we do not even have the tools aboard or even supplies we'll require yet."

Once the list has been prepared Kugald will take the list back to the Daas, and hopefully be able to gain a writ to requisition what is needed. Kugald aware of Algared's estimates of the Daas share of their plunder thinks to himself, The Daas will likely ask us to pay for the supplies given that we have yet to them to tender his owed 1/3 of the plunder. And with that in mind collects takes once more the pouch from Borryg and with Algared collect the silver Algared has stored away.

As they walk to the thran Algared says to his cousin "If we know where we are headed, and the Daas doesn't have us loaded with stores to be taken to Myna, we may be able to take on some cargo and help make the Farvie pay her way. Then again the Daas may ask we go fishing so we can build up a supply of dried fish. We have been fortunate so far cousin, but i imagine that soon we'll all find that we are like the refugees."

When Kugald presents the list or required stores and tools needed to make the farvie ship shape he also adds that they will need rations enough for the voyage.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:32 am

Time: Mid 4th watch

By the time the warband have carried out a inspection of the boat and had a stocktake of what equipment is required to make the boat ready, the watches have started to slip by, while members of the warband turn their hand to repairing the boat others set about writing out a stores list of supplies that will be needed.

The weather makes the hard work easier as the day remains cool with the clouds gathering, they look thick and white with little threat of rain for the next few watches at least. The wind has died down some and now blows from the north east, making the repairs to the sails and rigging a little easier.

As Algared enters the thranhold he passes the two huscarls on watch at the gatehouse Einar, Kugald's brother is no longer on watch having been relieved earlier in the day. Crossing the compound Algared is met by Madrin, "You made it back I see?" he says, he does not seem happy to see your return.

avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:48 am

"Aye, Madrin we did indeed". Algared wonders what it is that has upset Madrin and asks, "Tell me, what troubles you, you dont seem pleased." As kugald and Algared wait to see the Daas Algared says to Madrin,"It seems the Farvie needs quite a bit of work to get her ready as we have been instructed, and we have brought the list of supplies tools and rations required to make her sea-worthy." Algared speaks with Madrin, and knowing that Madrin is one of Cunate's trusted aides waits half expecting him to speak his mind. Kugald stands near by and listens nodding his greeting also while awaiting to see the Daas once more.

OOC Everyone I added a post in the ooc section for supplies equipment etc desired required. It will be list Kugald takes to the Daas
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:57 am

Madrin takes the list from you and casts a cursory eye over the parchment.

"The Daas has many concerns at the moment and is not available to see you now, I will see that he hears that you wish to see him" he keeps the inventory list. "I doubt there is much here that the Daas would give you, that you could not get yourself afterall, you seem to have done well for yourself, I noticed your breastplate and other war booty you arrived with."
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 am

Bjarni, what you think she'll need per watch? I'm thinking four crew means if Sigrun joins us we'll her help on watch as well or need to hire an extra crewman."

Bjarni thinks to himself, then says to Algared "I don't know you men well but all countrymen are sailors at heart, whatever their skill with tying a knot. I would suggest Sigrun, yourself and two others take one watch. Myself, Borygg and two others take the other. Any more than eight on this little tub will see us falling over each other. She is no sleek dragon to be filled with fighting men after all.

Fitted out with spares, provisions and our good selves, there is precious little space left for cargo, which makes me think that our 'cargo' won't be fish, but people"


Last edited by Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added more comments)
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:01 am

GM wrote:Madrin takes the list from you and casts a cursory eye over the parchment.

"The Daas has many concerns at the moment and is not available to see you now, I will see that he hears that you wish to see him" he keeps the inventory list. "I doubt there is much here that the Daas would give you, that you could not get yourself afterall, you seem to have done well for yourself, I noticed your breastplate and other war booty you arrived with."

Algared is taken aback by Madrin's comments, and is about to speak when Kugald answers. "Yes Madrin, we did come with some booty, and I also have the Daas share for my warband with me at present. I believed converting some of it to silver would be of more use to my cousin. If you could take our list to the Daas and enquire if he would prefere us to aquire the required supplies from the merchants using the coin we have that is his or have us draw from supplies his has I would appreciate it."

Algared says "From my calculations one third of the war loot we recovered amounts to this, I can give you an itimised list and values, it it is required or preferred."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Sigrun Surenaal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 am

Sigrun's mood sours as the warband leaves the hall without her being allowed entrance to see the Daas. As she overhears that the clans are retreating to Myna, her frustration grows. And when she sees the Farvie, and further is told that Kugald will be it's captain, she fumes:

"What kind of heroes are you to warrant this wreck? We're not going on a secret mission, unless it's to the bottom of the river! I haven't spent nine years and traveled a thousand leagues at sea to be ordered about by a captain who barely knows which side of the knarr is up! Como pode você possivelmente plano para uma viagem quando você não onde você está indo ou o que você está fazendo quando você chegar lá? E olha este, ele nem sequer sabe como bobina para as cordas! E voi," she points at Borygg, "se si va a scafo come quello, devi semplicemente causare più danni! Bjarni, scendere in acqua e controllare sotto! Se non siamo approfondita non abbiamo la possibilità! Qualcuno di voi uomini sanno cosa diavolo stai facendo?"

As Sigrun rants on, failing to realize that she has slipped into fragments of language that don't mean anything to her companions, she sees their puzzled looks. "What? What are you all smiling at? Get back to work and don't make it worse! Bjarni, I said get in the water and check the hull!"

She turns to Kugald, "Okay captain, you can make all the decisions about where we go, and how we go about following the Daas' orders, but," and she pokes him in the chest, "with regard to the repair and operation of this..." she glances at it, sighs, and turns back to him, "...boat, I'm in charge! Or do you think you can predict the swirls and currents of the river or wherever else we may be heading?" Sigrun puts her hands on her hips and stares straight into Kugald's eyes. "Well?"
avatar
Sigrun Surenaal

Posts : 280
Join date : 2010-06-07
Age : 44
Location : Cambridge, MA, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:16 am

Madrin nods his head takes the list of booty and your list of supplies and bids you a good day.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 am

In regards to Sigrun's rant, Bjarni smiles at Kugald and Algared and shrugs. "You will get used to that. I did."

TO Sigrun he says "Sure, she is not the prettiest ship afloat but look at the possibilities. She is sturdy enough, hardly needing any new caulking. True, I might be a bit worried taking her into an Ivae gale, but give us a day and she will be like new."

avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 am

GM wrote:Madrin nods his head takes the list of booty and your list of supplies and bids you a good day.

'Well Algared, it seems you were right to badger me and try to keep an account, I should have thought to offer the Daas share when we were meeting his summons." Kugald says once madrin as disappeared into the hall.

Algared nod's and asks "Do we wait or have we been dismissed, and are we to purchase the supplies that did seem to be what Madrin was hinting at. I imagined I noticed the Daas voice grow sharp at Barak's request for a writ to draw supplies. Given Madrin's reaction and comments I say the Daas hadn't been impressed, and we know what a stickler for the letter of the law madrin is especially when it comes to Skorri and I imagine his son." Algared lets out soft chuckle.

"We will wait," he looks to the sun's height and adds "until the sun crosses here then I fear we may need to go see to the supplies ourselves if we have heard nothing, we will visit Ulauf Nildrom, and engage his assistance in getting the Farvie ready for sea."

ooc: they will wait at most a 1/4 watch. after that they will head to the thran shipwright Ulauf Nildrom, to engage his services and the supplies they require.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:33 am

Sigrun Surenaal wrote:Sigrun's mood sours as the warband leaves the hall without her being allowed entrance to see the Daas. As she overhears that the clans are retreating to Myna, her frustration grows. And when she sees the Farvie, and further is told that Kugald will be it's captain, she fumes:

"What kind of heroes are you to warrant this wreck? We're not going on a secret mission, unless it's to the bottom of the river! I haven't spent nine years and traveled a thousand leagues at sea to be ordered about by a captain who barely knows which side of the knarr is up! Como pode você possivelmente plano para uma viagem quando você não onde você está indo ou o que você está fazendo quando você chegar lá? E olha este, ele nem sequer sabe como bobina para as cordas! E voi," she points at Borygg, "se si va a scafo come quello, devi semplicemente causare più danni! Bjarni, scendere in acqua e controllare sotto! Se non siamo approfondita non abbiamo la possibilità! Qualcuno di voi uomini sanno cosa diavolo stai facendo?"

As Sigrun rants on, failing to realize that she has slipped into fragments of language that don't mean anything to her companions, she sees their puzzled looks. "What? What are you all smiling at? Get back to work and don't make it worse! Bjarni, I said get in the water and check the hull!"

She turns to Kugald, "Okay captain, you can make all the decisions about where we go, and how we go about following the Daas' orders, but," and she pokes him in the chest, "with regard to the repair and operation of this..." she glances at it, sighs, and turns back to him, "...boat, I'm in charge! Or do you think you can predict the swirls and currents of the river or wherever else we may be heading?" Sigrun puts her hands on her hips and stares straight into Kugald's eyes. "Well?"

Algared himself begins to fume as Sigrun lets her frustrations get the better of her and as soon as she pauses in her rant cuts in. "Sigrun, not too long ago you claim your desire to thank the Daas for his efforts and offer your services. Now you carry on like this, I dont give a rat's arse how long you studied. This boats crew are dead! dead from trying to free froyby. I have spent the better part of my youth studying as well. Now you complain that the Daas refused to see you, despite being told he accepts your offer to aid? Who by Sarajin are you to demand to see our Jarl and now cuss because he was too busy. We returned from the campaign were folk from Froyby were amongst those who assaulted Froyaheim and were likely in the host that killed 500 or more Daasmen. So if you dont like it for all I care go to hell...."

Kugald at first taken aback by Algared's vitriol then suddenly laughs and claps a restraining hand to his cousin's back and interjects cutting off Algared rant. "Steady there Algared" and then he addresses Sigrun, "When you asked to tag along I told you that the Daas may not be able to see you, we returned last night with important news and even we had to wait until today before seeing him. As for what type of heroes, our small band have gotten use to one another and requested a chance to continuie to serve together and be able to continue the fight. We did mention both you and Bjarni were outside, wished an audience and that we also believed you wished to serve. As a result the Daas granted us to be crew of this vessel inorder to see if we can be trusted. Now at the thranhold I asked for your help and whether you wished to join us. The choice is yours. But I dont have all day and need to get the Farvie ready for sail. If you join us I'm afraid I'll need you to take and lead a watch."

As Bjarni quips to Algared and Kuguld they need to get use to Sigrun's rant's , Kugald laughs and points to Algared, "thats ok you'll need to get use to Algared's outbursts as well."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 am

Algarad wrote:"Easy there Barak, I doubt for our first trip at sea the Daas will send us away for 15 days or more"
"I doubt he'll he will send us further than Myna, but I expect with the abandonment of this thran getting, buying, or even begging stores in the future will be very hard indeed. I don't really expect Cunate to provide us with supplies. I expect he'll see that as the captains task. But I think we need to at least try to getting in supplies to last the first few trips, we'll have precious little time to catch our own on the rivers and fjords."

Later he says to Kugald "We won't be able to get everything done today - not even if we spend all day at it. We'll have to concentrate on the most critical aspects and fix the rest at a later date. Before we can even do that we need supplies from the shipwright."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:09 pm

When Kugald returns from the visit to the greathall, Algared is noticeable by his absence. Kugald approaches Bjarni as he seems to be directing the repairs and once given a task begins assisting in getting the Farvie ready to set sail.

Barak appraches him and speaks concerning the time and the supplies needed to which Kugald responds, "Yes, Algared is at this moment, hopefully aquiring the supplies we need and Ulauf's aid. Ulauf will also know who else we can employ to ensure the work is completed."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Less than a quarter watch after Kugald and Algared have returned from the thranhold a member of the Daas immediate household appears near the docks his tender years would seem to find him like a fish out of water here amongst the men of the docks. He quickly locates the 'Farvie' and her crew and delivers a message to any in earshot.

Looking skyward the young lad begins to recite "The Daas wishes you well with your endeavours and on advice, you are to take what wealth you have and provision the vessel as you see fit" he pauses for a moment looking at each person in turn before turning and retiring towards the thranhold at best speed.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Sigrun Surenaal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:12 pm

"Algared, this crew is indeed dead, but clan Surenaal are enslaved! Do you think they'd serve the Dagen willingly to attack Froyaheim? Which is worse, death or enslavement? I would thank the Daas for his valiant attempt at freeing my people, and serve him in another attempt at doing so... but we don't even know what we're preparing this ship for. What's the plan?"

"Kugald, if you really want to get this tub under sail, you're going to need my help. Bjarni and I can show you all how to do that."

"Bjarni, let's get in the water and make sure the hull is sound." Sigrun will inspect every inch of the hull from the inside, checking for leaks. Then she will tie a rope around her waist and then to the mast. Once secured, she'll get into the water to double check the hull from underneath.
avatar
Sigrun Surenaal

Posts : 280
Join date : 2010-06-07
Age : 44
Location : Cambridge, MA, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Peonu 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum