From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

16 Peonu 720

+5
Kugald Daas
Sigrun Surenaal
Barak Daas
Algared
GM
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

16 Peonu 720 - Page 3 Empty Re: 16 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Barak is visibly tired and stressed from a day that didn't go well (as far as he was concerned); nether-the-less he shuts up when rebuked by Kugald and offers to assist Bjarni with securing the ship. Now that he is bosun he wants to check over the rigging he is responsible for - it is a long time since he has spent a lot of time in a nivik and he needs to familiarise himself with it. If there is time he will finish off the fishing lines.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Algared will will gather up the water skins and head off, he'll return once they are refilled. We've 10days aboard, and The Daas said be back by the 20th and he wants fresh food.. he'll eat what he's given our rations are fresh and we'll make a little more room.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Time: Mid 5th watch

Nilony is a small fishing thran consisting of not more than a two dozen clanhouses with numerous associated outbuildings and work areas. The thranhold is situated on a small rise several hundred yards from the beach where it can overlook the river for some distance to the east and west.

Given the hour of the day the market if any would be closed and most of the families are winding down their days activities. Four fishing vessels like your own are also secured to lines at the shoreline, their crews are now preparing their days catch further up the shore. About two dozen men can be seen sorting various fish and other seafood into a number of baskets. They are joined by several women and children and while the women appear to be helping the children are running around playing games.

Smoke drifts from the rooftops of the clanhouses and the banging of metal on metal can be heard feintly from somewhere within the thran.

Kugald, Algared and Jurri leave the boat and head towards the thranhold, walking through an empty market place Algared peels off from the group in search of rations. Meanwhile, Kugald and Jurri continue to head towards the thranhold, there they are greeted by a lone huscarl.

Algared takes the waterskins to the well near the northern edge of the market place and refills the waterskins before returning to the boat.

Meanwhile back on the boat the men move with purpose as they secure the boat for the night. Lines are checked and stowed under Bjarni's watchful eye, all the stowage is checked to ensure it is secure and that it has not been affected by any water.

The darkness seems to be coming sooner than expected as dark clouds begin to gather, the wind has shifted to the north west and the wind has picked up considerably. "That is not to far away" Sigrun says nodding her head towards the growing storm.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeuol Djaon Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:
"Bjarni, please see about securing the boat for the night. Borygg, Zeuol, you can assist."

Clearly the years spent in the chantry as an apprentice have taught Zeuol compliance. He does his work as he's told without protest. Though he's not as strong as the others and he's clearly worn from all of the physical labour that's been asked of him, he does not give up.

When the Farvie is secure, and the food is passed around, the light framed Ivinian reaches for his pack and pulls out his journal and quill.

Sigrun's indication of heavy rain coming, causes Zeuol to pen his thoughts down more quickly. All of his ideas freshly inked, he blows on the pages to dry them more quickly. Satisfied with the security of his words, the Savoryan Sorcerer triple checks his packing job when he restores the journal to his bag.
Zeuol Djaon
Zeuol Djaon

Character sheet
Birthdate:

https://menglana.rpg-board.net/zeuol-djaon-f37/zeuol-djaon-s-cha

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:"Bjarni, please see about securing the boat for the night. Borygg, Zeuol, you can assist."
Borygg carries out whatever boat-securing tasks Bjarni sets him to.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Once the fishermen are finished, Barak will take a basket and investigate their scraps... there might be stuff good enough to act as bait.

Post by GM You are able to find a suitable amount of fish heads, tails and guts to provide you with enough bait for a days fishing. There is more than that available but to take more means it would rot while aboard
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Sigrun reviews her rutter for anything that will be useful for the run to Vulenheim tomorrow, places it in a canvas bag, ties it closed, and places that in her sea chest.

"Try to keep dry, friends."
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Barak observes "With a storm blowing from the north west we may be going nowhere tomorrow."

[OoC what does Barak think the weather will be like tomorrow?

Barak investigates the hold. Is there enough room to be able to sleep in it? If so how many?]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Bjarni wakes up to the skipper's orders and carries them out.

"He has an itch he can't scratch, that's for certain," says Bjarni. He concurs with Sigrun's assessment that rain is on the way. "Wet and miserable - not a good way to spend the night lads. Help me rig the sail as a tent. We can keep the worst of the rain off us if we sleep aboard."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 am

Having retrieved the supplies from the rations which he has begun to cook, Algared looks up and comments.

"I suggest we get the awning get the awning up then if we are in for a wet."

Algared seems empty his words and speech having lost much of their colour. There is no emotion the constant betrayal within the kingdom, the thran and even family, the losses incurered so far in the struggle and and what he believes he knows of the Dagan's method of rule has filled Algared with despair have left and now still reeling from the reverses, continued ridicule and insults have left him an empty shell.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:49 am

With preparations underway getting the sail erected as an awning you have attached one end and are working on the sides when a man dressed in plain clothes approaches your boat. Barak is off still gathering bait.

"I am to bid you welcome to the hall of Taarin Maar, your master and skald are with Taarin now, he wishes you the hospitality of his hall"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:24 am

"An offer of hospitality not expected is an offer more welcome, as my old Grandad used to say"

I think we still rig the awning but to keep our gear as dry as possible.

Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 am

"Sigrun and Bjarni, do you think this weather will hold until morning? If so, we won't be sailing down river."

[OoC what does Barak think the weather will be like?]

Post by GM The weather is going to remain wet at least for the this watch and the next

As Barak helps to erect a awning: "I think I might spend the night in the boat. Make sure that it is secure in the storm."

[OoC: Is there room in the hold to be able to sleep?"]

Post by GM This vessel has not hold. It can store what cargo it carries amid the crew working area. This is only a small section below the deck for ballast. It is where any water would pool if there were leaks and as such means it is not good for storing anything.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Once the awning is rigged Bjarni will head to the hall with the others who are going to enjoy the hospitality of the locals. Unless he gets blotto, he plans to head back to the Farvie to kip down.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:34 pm

Looking up from where he is about to prepare a meal Algared merely stands, returns the supplies if able ensures they suuplies and rations are covered and changes. Once ready he heads towards the thranhold with his comapnions. he will leave returning to the F arvie as soon as it is politically expedient to do so. Who knows maybe this thraan will send aid to the Daas and forstall a need to leave. Unless spoken to directly Algared will keep to himself, If directly asked during the meal about his views on the war he will speak plainly, "In my opnion based upon my observations, we had a year to prepare when they took Froby, now Menglana has lost all of Storzarlund. Unless Menglana unites now against the Dagan then Menglana will cease to exist and we shall all be under the heel of the Daagan Dog. And from what I've seen I wouldnt even wish that upon my enemy."

OOC; Algared's comments will only be made if he is specifiically asked by the Valhaker what his views are and he will seek to be polite and respectful in his manner of delievery. If asked of someone elses views or attitudes he will be non committal explaining that he does not understand the minds of men and women. He will not mention anything about alliances, treaties or plans.

Last edited by Algared on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeuol Djaon Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Zeuol pauses while building a lean-to with the sails to protect from the coming storm, when the messenger arrives. He listens closely and nods. The idea of spending the night indoors enjoying a good meal seems to please him as a smile escapes his lips. However, when a couple of group mention finishing tying off the boat to protect the goods, he nods and resumes work telling the man, "Goodman let us just finish tying this off quickly and we'll be right with you."

With the work complete, Zeuol moves away from the boat and to the messenger, wrapping an arm around his shoulder, "Let's move swiftly and avoid this coming storm. I'm Zeuol of Djaon, a pleasure to meet a man who carries good news and warm welcomes."
Zeuol Djaon
Zeuol Djaon

Character sheet
Birthdate:

https://menglana.rpg-board.net/zeuol-djaon-f37/zeuol-djaon-s-cha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Sigrun says quietly, "Come Barak, I worry as much as you, but no one is going to take a fishing boat, with an unrigged sail, at night, with a storm brewing. Let's enjoy not being wet as long as we can."

Sigrun double checks that the boat is secured (to stout trees, posts, whatever) and the sail/awning is tied down well. She then takes the bag with her rutter, relocks her sea chest, and heads to the hall with the group.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:32 pm

"I will be poor company tonight; I don't know what to do about Jabor. But yes I will come and enjoy the meal. I am not sure how we can repay it. I am not so worried about someone stealing the boat, as it getting damaged or flooded in the coming storm. After all, like you it is not just my transport, but it is my home and a new one too. We did not repair it all and I am not sure if it will hold up."

Barak will happily walk up to the thran in Sigrun's company.

"What progress do you think we'll make tomorrow? With the wind blowing from where we want to go. A navik is not really designed to row being so broad. At least we have a small fishing boat and not a big trader."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:16 am

Algared will tell them to at least wash and dress appropriately and thus honour the host.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:32 am

Heeding Algared's admonition, Borygg will splash some water on his face and put on his best tunic and drag his comb through his hair. He'll lock everything he can in his sea chest, then join the others in the thran hall.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:35 am

To algarad: "It is all right for you with your rich merchant father, but I don't have fancy clothes. Only what I could pick up cheep. All I have in the world fits in to one sea chest."

Nether-the-less Barak rinses his hands and face, combs his hair, pulls on his best tunic (turning away from Sigrun as he does so), the russet wool one he looted off the corpse on the battlefield. Being red the blood stain probably dosn't show too much. Then he accompanies Sigrun up the hall.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarified who Barak was talking to)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:43 am

Borygg bristles at Barak's words. "I haven't seen my 'rich' father in many years and certainly nothing I have came from him. All I have I worked for or took from my enemies, the same as you." He wants to say more but refrains, knowing that Kugald is in no mood for disunity in the group right now.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:07 am

"My father is rich but I'm afraid my best doesn't come from him. It is what I was able to aquire from the proceeds of our campaign Barak" he looks over his clothes and says as flatly as he other comments, "lets go be polite guests representing the Daas."

Last edited by Algared on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:34 am

Borygg
and drag his comb through his hair.

"Can I borrow that when you are finished, Borygg?" asks Bjarni as he mimes combing his non-existent hair. "I just can't do anything with it"

"As to my best, I have one set of clothes, but can put on my other pair of drawers in honour of the occasion"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:27 am

Time: End 5th watch

The warband joins the messenger as they make the several hundred yards journey to the thranhold. The boom of thunder echos through the thran, the flash of lightening lights the night sky as Yeal remains hidden behind the thick dark clouds of the night sky. The wind picking up into a extremely strong wind that continues to blow in from the north west.

The first drops of rain begin to fall as you enter the thranhold and it is falling in a constant stream by the time you reach the hall.

The hall is lit by a hearth fire located near the northern end of the hall close to the high chair on which sits a well dressed man in woollen leggings and an embroided linen shirt with a lined leather jerkin. "Welcome" he says as he stands "please take a seat with your friends" as he waves his arm towards Kugald and Jurri "Jurri has just told me of news from Ygesdram and the advancing Ibanvaal army" retaking his seat he adds "It is sad news indeed!"

Once the warband are seated several servants including the man who fetched you from the boat begin to serve jugs of ale along with a tankard each.

With the ale served the man in the high chair says "I am Taarin Maar - keeper of this thran for Hadila Maar my Valhakar and these men are..." he goes on to introduce each turn. Only one seems to gain your attention a man in his forties, he wears the mark of a skald (none of you recognise him though). The other men are members of clan Maar and are tradesmen or men of importance within the thran.

Soon the servants return with plates placing one down in front of every person. The servants return bearing a large cooking pot from which each person starting with Taarin is served a large ladel full of pottage, the food smells sweet and tastes very nice, it is also quite filling. Along with the pottage you are each served a helping of dried fruit, cheese and a loaf of rye bread.

The continues to belt down during the night although the lightening and thunder have died down.

With the meal complete Taarin once again stands and says "Given the weather it would be remiss of both my Valhakar and I if we did not offer you the comfort of my hall this night, please take the shelter of this roof" as he waves his arm about him "to keep you warm and dry this night"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next