From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 Peonu 720

+6
Eijryk Orbaason
Bjarni Daasen
Sigrun Surenaal
Barak Daas
Algared
GM
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

22 Peonu 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 22 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:53 am

Jurri wrote:"but I will not be standing in any shield walls."
"Nor I, I hope. My place is with the bow and I no longer have the armour I had. Speaking of which, Kugald, have you finished altering it to fit Bjarni?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm

"Nor I, I hope. My place is with the bow and I no longer have the armour I had. Speaking of which, Kugald, have you finished altering it to fit Bjarni?"

"Eh? Did I miss something? That would be a princely gift. He might need a few spare rings though."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:52 pm

"Obviously you drank too much ale that evening around the meadhall table. Kugald had lent me his armour which I returned. He said that he'd alter it to fit you."

[OoC: Barak's cunning plan is for Bjarni to replace him in the front rank of the shieldwall, allowing Barak to become a third-ranker where he can use his bow to good effect.]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 pm

"You are right. Ale is the thief of memory, as my old grandad used to say," Bjarni scratches his head trying desperately to remember the conversation.

Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:45 am

Algared wrote:... it is probably a good idea for us to practice together, working the best places for each of us
"Given that I am here, I have nothing better to do with my time. I don't have my spear, but I do have my bow. What say the rest, shall we practice our fighting formation. If there are no objections I suggest we do."

[OoC: I will post a suggested 'on our own' combat formation later if no character objects first. If we are part of a bigger shieldwall we may have less choice - and Barak, Sigrun etc may need to join the line if the party is not to be split up... however, we now have as many 'non-combatants' as combatants so it would be useful if we don't become front line shock troops ;-) ]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:16 am

Algared suggests that those who can and will likely have to form the protective shield pair off to determing strengths and weakeness of each combatant. Similarly. he suggests the archers or those with ranged weapons also practice to detemine how they may best be utilised each. He knows his staff sling can hurl a stone weighing a couple of pound a around two hundred feet, at least in the hands of a master band he also knows his sling can hurl stones fast enough to make dodging difficult. None the less Algared is aware knows that Barak and Borryg are fine archers and he imagines the amongst the new comers there are likely more archers or non combamts meaning that although he is likely the weakest in skill with shield and spear he'll need to continue to stand in the line.

Last edited by Algared on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:05 pm

"Algared. I am no archer but I can throw this spear through an oak door."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:28 pm

"Bjarni, the trick in a shield wall is not to throw your spear away" he laughs to indicate that he is only joking "We have a few people really skilled with the spear, Kugald, Borygg and myself. It will be good to have another skilled spearman. I can tell by the way you heft your spear that you know how to use it."

"It is also good if you can kill or chase off your enemy before they get in to striking range. That is where bows come in useful. Myself and Borygg can both use a bow, and I know Sigrun also has said she is useful with one, even if she dosn't like fighting. I can't practice with the spear today, but I'll happily show anyone who is interested how to point a bow in the right direction. I suggest we practice working together - as a party of bowman. I can show you some of the tips I've learnt through hunting, and maybe you can teach me new tricks too. "

"Unfortunately, I think both Borygg and I will be called on to fight in a shieldwall if we're pressed so it would be good to have others who can support us with the bow."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:40 am

Kugald watches as Barak as he responds showing his frustration and annoyance, Kugald knows Barak chaffs at the feeling of being ignored, used and abused. After Algared and Jurri have responded Kugald holds up his hand.

'Barak, as I said, upon hearing the Daas intention due to the many new faces around the thran and it was better to let you all know what he intended for all. As I looked around at our band last night I realised the truth in his reasoning, even our band has lost several of our number and gained others who we didn't know ten days ago. So I thought it would be good for us, a warband to swear loyalty to one another. Barak I know you wanted to hunt, Algared wanted to do whatever it is he does with this study he does. But pledging to stand together, to guard each other and be loyal to one another seemed the more important. So I again make the offer to swear a blood oath to each of you who will swear to stand with us in this war against our foe. I know you are loyal but Bjarni, Sigrun, Eijiryk and Zaoul barely know us nor we them, do not they deserve, at least the knowledge that we will stand by them if they will stand by us.’

Once the band have discussed and made the oaths Kugald suggested they then go to train in their melee and ranged weaponry. Algared suggests that when they with melee weapons that Kugald and Barak, whom he knows are each very skilled, lead a group of four, alternately running practice drills and allowing half those with shields to rest and watch while the others train, each of the warband thus being able to work through the methods to block attacks from various strikes. Once each recieves and has recieved instruction Algared maintains that then pair off to spar before practicing with the defensive wall and working together.

Algared adds to his suggestion that once they have trained in melee, then they should all take instruction with bow and slings. Although Jurri as a skald has no intention of standing in a shield wall he is also encouraged to train since he may be called upon to defend himself.

Algared knows Barak hasn't brought his spear and prefers to use his bow, and hopes that Barak at least will realise that his suggestion will enable his cousin to train others and highlight his value in both a melee and ranged fight.

OOC: I thought given Kugald's early post and what seemed to be his intention, it would be good to have a post that i hope picked up those ideas before the band set about training. My apologies to all if this is not in line with Kerry's plans or thoughts

Last edited by Algared on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:22 am

Barak sighs then says "Well I suppose I am the best spearman here" and looks around to see if he is going to be challenged and continues "Kugald you had best divide us in to two teams, but I tell you my team will beat yours" he says laughing. Once the teams are sorted, he tells his team "That was no idle boast, I want us all to be best. By being the best we will all live, and I want that. So..." and Barak falls in line with practicing / instructing with the spear.

[OoC unless there are a lot more bows / ranged weapons than I know about, the afternoon practice is going to be for a smaller group]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Kugald watches as his cousins dispite their stated desire to have carried out their own tasks this day suggest and impliment the warbands training. Ready to step in and with a firm hand should his cousins begin to argue. Smiling he claps both on the shoulder, 'Well done," then looking to each of the band continues. "Let us see if we can't improve the skills we may may all need to rely on in defence of our homes, families and one aonther."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:55 pm

"Barak, that is a challenge I will happily take up. What are we testing? Distance, accuracy?"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Eijryk Orbaason Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Eijryk sighs "I would prefer to stay in the rear lines when it comes to real fighting. As you know I would be of much better use helping wounded warriors back into fighting condition, but I realize that the risk for getting involved in battle is very high now and I would definately fight alongside you my friends if we were ordered to do so or if we have to defend ourselves. That I swear to you by heart and blood."

He looks around at the gathering and then adds "I know how to handle a spear and shield, but practicing together sounds like a bright idea. I'm leaving the bows and sling to those of you who works better with them though."
Eijryk Orbaason
Eijryk Orbaason

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:55 am

"Eikryk, the Shieldwall is a simple thing. You just have to push. The spear is good for second and third rank men but once push comes to shove it is next to useless if you are in the front rank. Then a good knife is better. You can jab it under your shield into your foe's balls or legs. Of course, a Wallbreaker with a big axe helps. Don't suppose anyone here has one?"
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:16 am

The warriors move away from the runestones to south of the thranhold and form up into two teams. Upon the slopes of the hill just north of Sordi Daas the hideworkers clanhouse, the warriors set to with spears and shields, practicing by themselves under the watchful eye of Barak and Kugald. Before long the warband start to practice as a shieldwall.

As the Nolomar rises in the eastern sky the day warms up considerably, it is not long before the warband are covered in a sheen of sweat over their bodies and sweat drips from their brows and noses. Stripped down to shirt sleeves the warriors spend several hours in practice with spear and shield.

Spending the better part of the morning in training Nolomar takes its toll on the warband and a halt is called to the days training.

The day remains warm, with barely a cloud in the sky and naught but the faintest gusts of a breeze from the south west. With waterskins nearing empty and Nolomar now high in the sky a break in the training is called for and under the shade of the thranholds southern wall the warband rest.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 am

Sigrun watches the others practice with spears and shields. She scans the area around her and finds that there is little area where she can launch her arrows, so she finds a comfortable patch of now dry grass and watches the others go about training with spear and shield. When the others have finished, she will seek tips on using her sword, which it is clear she uses with only marginal skill.

Post edited by GM The area around the thran is not the place to practice archery unless a scheduled training event has been called. The inhabitants of Ygesdram do not like finding stray arrows in their fields, gardens, embedded in their clanhouses or worse a stray arrow embedded in a clansman
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 am

When Sigrun seeks tips on the use of the sword Algared points to Kugald and says 'Kugald is the best for helping you learn how best to use it to defend yourself." he turns away and thinks to himself a while before saying to no-one in particular as he thinks allowed. 'So how can we best help in this fight against our foes. We could seek leave to take the Farvie and try render the boats of our enemy useless. If we we able to limit the ability of the Ibanvaaler to cross the Liem or land tropps behind the Daas like he did in the last battle then we would surely be serving to win this war. Maybe we could trek back and cross the stream once more and sink or steal as many boats as we can or take the fight to them. or even sail to the Daa allies and see if they are able to send aid."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 pm

[OoC: I believe it is now midday(ish) - and Kerry is still incommunicado]

Barak listens to Algared direct Sigrun to Kulgard and the approaches her "If Kugald is too busy, I'd gladly spar with you after our midday meal. I know a quiet place nearby where we can practice undisturbed. Like you I have a shortsword" he says patting his sword "I saw you practicing with the shortbow. That is something of a speciality of mine. We could practice that too if you like, I have some tips which might help you."

[OoC: I presume Barak will have the stamina to do this since he has a highish END/Cond and he hasn't been practicing with the spear excessively. PS of I recall correctly, and I probably don't, Kugald's and Barak's sword skills are supprisingly close: i.e. we've both picked up a sword for the first time.]

Last edited by Barak Daas on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Eijryk Orbaason Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Eijryk practices the shieldwall with the others and some spear and shield techniques. He has done some basic training when he was younger but it was a while ago and it takes a while for him to get back to it and follow the other more recently experienced warriors of the group. He also notices that he gets exhausted sooner than most of the others, as he hasn't been used to physical strain the past seven years.

When Nolomar reaches it's highest position and the call for a break is made he lies down on his back and rests without saying much for several minutes just watching the sky above him. He then rises to sitting and looks at Kugald.
"I'm finished. Will this be all for today? I think I should pay Hervold a visit before it gets too late. I promised him to show up today and I really hate not keeping my word even if this was a justified cause."
Eijryk Orbaason
Eijryk Orbaason

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:30 am

"Yes, I think this is it for the day. We can all do our own thing in the afternoon. But lets meet up for a pint of mead at Jabor's tonight and discuss what we're doing tomorrow."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:02 am

"Well Barak, we know the daas will summon all to either swear to fight with him against our foes or leave. I would rather remain and help defend my home unless we leave with the Daas blessing to take the fight to our foes or we are are sent to gather more strength. But meeting up at Jabor's later for a pint of his mead seems a good idea." Algared like the others rests and then finally rises and is about to leave but waits when Kugald speaks.

Kugald watches and and nods as the band talk before congratulating all of a fine practice. Then comments on baraks suggestions for a revised march and fighting formations. "Barak I know algared feels vulnerable and it does seem his shield work is not as strong as Zaoul's but their spear skill seems to be about the same, and algared has the better armour. I think maybe we would be served better if we keep Algared in the front of our line."

Algared looks to the lightly armoured Zaoul and himself and nods but adds "I was thinking maybe if we tried to create a formation that allowed us to work in pairs, a shieldman and an archer we could cause our foe greater discomfit and give the archers protection. That would be another reason to leave me in the front line, although a little back from the line I imagine could hurl stones over you heads into the enemies ranks with my sling."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:36 pm

"When the battle is finally joined I know that fame, glory and silver are to be won where men can see you. From what you have told me of your exploits over the winter you seemed to have won little reward despite your saga deeds."

Last edited by Bjarni Daasen on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 am

As the warriors lay upon the southern slope of the thranhold resting, their shirts bathed in sweat with riverlets of sweat dripping from their heads. Eirjyk is the first to rise and gathering his gear he waves quickly to his companions as he makes his farewell, stating Hervold will have work still to do and the hour is not getting any earlier.

"I will try to catch you up at the meadhall later today" he adds as he rounds the eastern edge of the thranhold near the wall as he follows the curve of the wall. He soon disappears from view leaving the remainder of the warband still resting in the shade of the thranholds wall.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:13 am

As they sit Algared turns to Zaoul, 'So friend we should take some time and see how we can use our skills to best advantage and how we may if possible compliment one another." Algared will stand and invite Zaoul to join him where they can talk of their craft freely.

Post by GM With that both Zeoul and Algared, stand and gather their equipment together. This time Algared leads Zeoul towards the western part of the thran and immersed in conversation the two men disappear from view below the crest of the rise.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Barak gets up and gets on with his afternoon (with or without Sigrun) practicing his bow / hunting skills in a nearby wood; and then returning to Jabor's to assist in getting ready for the evening rush.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next