3 Saraju 720

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:27 am

"It looks like Algared has vanquished it. He is truly water-wise," Bjarni will go tentatively forward and slap Algared on the shoulder by way of congratulations while peering into the river to see if the thing is truly gone.

Post by GM The water looks peaceful and the river looks to have returned to normal
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Meldun Jarlaka on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:11 am

Meldun approaches the group standing near the river. "Sorry I'm late. I went to visit Bjarri and pray, when I returned, I heard a ship had floundered and that you had come to help." Meldun smiles at everyone, then looks down at the river, "So, where's the vessel?"

avatar
Meldun Jarlaka

Posts : 136
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 44
Location : Meridian, Idaho

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 am

"Apart from some flotsom and two survivors it is gone", Algared sounds sullen and defeated. He recoils slightly when Bjarni slaps him on the back, turning to Bjarni he says "I doubt I have been successful, and what magik remedies I have will likely have nil effect."


Last edited by Algared on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Meldun Jarlaka on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 am

Noticing the strange expressions on everyone's face, Meldun shrugs to himself, making a mental note to talk to Bryndis about what happened, then turns back toward town. "Well, I best get my armor repaired if we want to train today." He claps his hands together, then rubs them vigorously for a moment, showing his excitement at the prospects of some more combat time. "Are we ready to head back, or are you guys gonna keep looking at the river?"
avatar
Meldun Jarlaka

Posts : 136
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 44
Location : Meridian, Idaho

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:49 am

"Meldun, if you had seen the thing you would be looking at the river as well. Bryn said that the creature may have been sent by the Dagen. What do you think we test that? Send a boat past this point. We could tow a small vessel along the bank with ropes past this point. What do you think?"

avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30 am

Bjarni Daasen wrote:"Meldun, if you had seen the thing you would be looking at the river as well. Bryn said that the creature may have been sent by the Dagen. What do you think we test that? Send a boat past this point. We could tow a small vessel along the bank with ropes past this point. What do you think?"


"That would help determine if the creature remains or it was vanquished as you claim my friend. Though I do not think it vanquished, if it is as I think it may be beyond my skills... I think I may be able to work along the base of the cliff and get closer. Though I'm not sure what I'll be able to do once there." Algared backs from the edge and slowly works his way down to the base of the cliff.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 am

Barak didn't see Algared do anything, none-the-less when people start to drift back he will join them. He arrives in time to hear Bjarni's idea. "What boat would we use? The beach at Ygresdram is bare of boats. I doubt anyone will want to risk their boat anyway. What will be at risk, unless we do something about it, is the fishing boats when they retun this evening."

To Algared he says "You best tie a rope round you. You wouldn't want to be sucked in to that maelstrom."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Eijryk Orbaason on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 am

"I think we should warn the fishermen before they come back in the evening. If it is like Bryn suggests that the Dagen sent for it somehow, it might be down there guarding so that no one can sail along the river crossing this part." Eijryk says while they start to head back towards the thran.
avatar
Eijryk Orbaason

Posts : 111
Join date : 2010-08-14
Age : 44
Location : Sweden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am

"hmmm, you are right about the boat, but perhaps we could lash together a raft. No offence to the late Ulauf but it would probably be more seaworthy than boats built here"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:52 am

"Ulauf was one of the greatest shipwrights in the world. He will be feasting in Talagaad right now, as a hero. But your idea of a raft is a good one. Though I will not sit on it - I can not swim."

Barak watches Algared clamber down the cliff wondering if he should help him.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Sigrun Surenaal on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Sigrun unpacks her rutter, a quill, and a jar of ink. She sketches what she can of the thing from memory, and prepares to add detail should it return.
avatar
Sigrun Surenaal

Posts : 280
Join date : 2010-06-07
Age : 44
Location : Cambridge, MA, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Meldun Jarlaka on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Watching Sigrun sketch the... thing... Meldun's eyes widens and his jaw drops. "THAT came out of the water?! Lord of the Perilous Quest be with us." Meldun drops to his knee, sets his axe so that he is looking upon the blade, and begins praying in earnest for guidance from Sarajin.
avatar
Meldun Jarlaka

Posts : 136
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 44
Location : Meridian, Idaho

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:51 am

The locals that have remained (and there are only a few) begin to make suggestions about what this thing is. One idea is that it is a soul from a dead Ibavaaler that has haunted the river, this leads the others to speculate that perhaps the idea of the attack was that all those warriors were bad men and once they were killed they would remain behind to haunt the thran.

Another idea is that the thing has been conjured by the King to prevent the Dagen's army from crossing the river.

One of the men present suggests that it is a servant of Alaryr sent to curse the Daas. Those about him scoff however, stating that the Daas are in the right and have nothing to fear from the Grey Slayer.

All sorts of stories and ideas are starting to build.....

Algared ties a rope under his shoulders and prepares to descend the cliff face, starting his descent, he watches the water, the descent is quite easy but as he nears the bottom the water becomes more and more turbulent as waves crash against the base of the cliff. It soon becomes quite apparent that to land at the base of the cliff will be extremely difficult and quite possibly fatal as the waves crash against the cliffs below.

Algared turns and makes the short climb back to the top of the cliff....


Last edited by GM on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:10 am

Returning to the thran you make your way towards the meadhall, you are crossing the market when you hear the locals talking about the King being dead. Everyone seems to be in a rush and the only snippets of information that you can make out is that the sailors told them that the King has died while in Vulenheim.

Entering the meadhall you find the two rescued sailors warming by the hearth fire, wrapped in thick woollen blankets.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:29 am

GM wrote:Algared ties a rope under his shoulders and prepares to descend the cliff face, starting his descent, he watches the water, the descent is quite easy but as he nears the bottom the water becomes more and more turbulent as waves crash against the base of the cliff. It soon becomes quite apparent that to land at the base of the cliff will be extremely difficult and quite possibly fatal as the waves crash against the cliffs below.

Algared turns and makes the short climb back to the top of the cliff....

[OOC: I take it the turbulence of the water and the waves was not normal ie clear evidence the elemental is still present. Although I'd envisaged Algared had backed away and was going around the cliff, and trying to make his way along the base, rather than down it.]

On rejoining the group Algared says to them, "I dont think its gone and we need to find out how territorial it is and how much of the channal and how the navigatable courses have changed. Then we'll need a picket boat at least intially to warn any other craft. The fishing vessels, warboats and other trade ships will be in danger."


Last edited by Algared on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 am

As per one of my previous posts

There is no easy way to this location along the shoreline, there are rockslides and other numerous dangers to contend with along the shoreline, unless you were to approach from the water.

You would have to approach either by descending the cliff or from the river, to make your way along the cliff face is extremely hazardous.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Eijryk Orbaason on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 am

Upon entering the meadhall Eijryk moves towards the two sailors presenting himself.
"My name is Eijryk Orbaason of Vulenheim, I'm a physician by occupation. I heard you were rescued from the ship wreckage. How do you feel? Did you get any injuries?"

Post by GM The two men both shake their heads as they both tell you that they are alright

He offers to have a look at any wounds they may have. And asks them what happened at the river.

Post by GM The first sailor looks at you fear still in his eyes "Tumas, our captain had us lowering sail to prepare to come alongside here, when a whirlpool formed quickly, it took our pilot by surprise and before he could gain control of the boat, the water pulled the bow of our boat under the water and within five hearbeats, everything was gone" he pauses tears starting to form in his eyes "everyone was gone, so I swam to the shoreline, Hervaal and I both manage to swim there before we were rescued"

"I also heard you have terrible news about the King. What have happened?" he continues unless they completely dismiss him.

Post by GM The sailor seems to snatch himself out of a bad dream when you mention the King. He merely nods his head in agreement "Yes, the King is dead, he was found dead several days ago in his chamber. His sons now vie for control of the kingdom."
avatar
Eijryk Orbaason

Posts : 111
Join date : 2010-08-14
Age : 44
Location : Sweden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:47 am

Algared wrote:"I don't think its gone and we need to find out how territorial it is and how much of the channel and how the navigational courses have changed."
"If that whirlpool is static then we should be able to go round it on the far side. But what if it can move, or it reforms on the other side, then I suspect it will be impossible for any boat to get past it. Will it just die out in time, loose strength and become weaker? If not we must get rid of it."
Algared wrote:"Then we'll need a picket boat at least initially to warn any other craft."
"It will have to be one of the fishing boats then, since there are no boats in Ygresdram, and I suspect fishing boats from upriver will be out too. We need to do this sooner rather than later. Cunate must be informed" says Barak looking significantly at Algared.

[OOC: Same Q as Fletch: is the river always choppy or did it become so on Algared's decent?]

Post by GM The water becomes more disturbed the closer Algared gets to it. However, the river is marginally narrower here than elsewhere but not significantly so


Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

[ooc how close to the water did Algared get before the waters became more agitated]

Post by GM You got no closer than 10'-15' from the bottom

"Guess we wont be training this morning. I think, we need to see if we can find a Pinda or fashion a raft Aglared says in reply to Barak. I think we'll need your skills Sigrun to help us determine how much of the rivers passage remains. We'll need the best oars men to help ensure we map the obstacle if we are to determin what vessels can pass up river.. this is our priority and we need it completed before any other vessels encounter this maelstrom." Turning Algared heads towards the Thranall to see the Daas, though he imagines he has heard the rumours by now.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Before Algared leaves, Barak responds: "I will go down river to the next thran. Warning any boats, especially our fishermen, is the most important thing to do now. We can't afford to lose any more boats or men. If you want a pindar the I think you will have to go up river to the next thran to find it. Perhaps Borygg should go he is fast, knows the way and is likely to be trusted by the boat's crew. Sigrun and Bjarni can lead on making a raft, but with all shipwrighting tools destroyed it will not be quick."

"As for Cunate, he will have heard the rumours. But you have information that the common rumour monger does not have. You know what it is, and obviously know about it, and maybe how it can be forced to go away. You know how it reacted to our, and your, presence. For all I know, you may know how it came to be here, if it is a sending of the Dagan for example. I've not heard of one these before, let alone in the river Leim. I can not advise the Daas on this. It is not a question of where to find the forest deer at this time of year: a question I could answer."


Last edited by Barak Daas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Eijryk Orbaason on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:18 pm

GM wrote:
Post by GM The first sailor looks at you fear still in his eyes "Tumas, our captain had us lowering sail to prepare to come alongside here, when a whirlpool formed quickly, it took our pilot by surprise and before he could gain control of the boat, the water pulled the bow of our boat under the water and within five hearbeats, everything was gone" he pauses tears starting to form in his eyes "everyone was gone, so I swam to the shoreline, Hervaal and I both manage to swim there before we were rescued"

Eijryk tries to comfort the two sailors when they get sad about what happened "How many of you were there on the boat? Did you see or hear anything unusual right before the whirlpool appeared?"

Post by GM "There were fifteen souls aboard the vessel" pausing for a moment both sailors seem to stop and think about this next question "No nothing, the water was still and then it quickly became a whirlpool and dragged our boat to the bottom"

GM wrote:Post by GM The sailor seems to snatch himself out of a bad dream when you mention the King. He merely nods his head in agreement "Yes, the King is dead, he was found dead several days ago in his chamber. His sons now vie for control of the kingdom."

"That doesn't sound too promising for our war. Where did you come from and what was your destination? Did you meet any other vessels on the way from Vulenheim?"

Post by GM The sailor answers "We sailed from Vulenheim on our way here, we passed a few other vessels but nothing out of the ordinary"
avatar
Eijryk Orbaason

Posts : 111
Join date : 2010-08-14
Age : 44
Location : Sweden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Barak Daas wrote:Before Algared leaves, Barak responds: "I will go down river to the next thran. Warning any boats, especially our fishermen, is the most important thing to do now. We can't afford to lose any more boats or men. If you want a pindar the I think you will have to go up river to the next thran to find it. Perhaps Borygg should go he is fast, knows the way and is likely to be trusted by the boat's crew. Sigrun and Bjarni can lead on making a raft, but with all shipwrighting tools destroyed it will not be quick."

"As for Cunate, he will have heard the rumours. But you have information that the common rumour monger does not have. You know what it is, and obviously know about it, and maybe how it can be forced to go away. You know how it reacted to our, and your, presence. For all I know, you may know how it came to be here, if it is a sending of the Dagan for example. I've not heard of one these before, let alone in the river Leim. I can not advise the Daas on this. It is not a question of where to find the forest deer at this time of year: a question I could answer."

"If we going to the next thrans in order to get a pindar or warn the fishing fleet, if there are none here, a horse will be quicker than a man on foot. Also the rider can carry a message from the daas if a small boat is needed, I'd say the east, is likely the safer thran for a boat... to come west than east until we can be sure of the the channel available to us."

Algared is about to head out when his thinks to ask the sailors, "what was your vessel named, and what type was she?" once he has the information he heads to the Thranall.

Post by GM "'The Mikill Hundr' was our vessels, a 48' knarrr"
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Barak Daas wrote:If you want a pindar the I think you will have to go up river to the next thran to find it. Perhaps Borygg should go he is fast, knows the way and is likely to be trusted by the boat's crew.
Algared wrote:"If we going to the next thrans in order to get a pindar or warn the fishing fleet, if there are none here, a horse will be quicker than a man on foot. Also the rider can carry a message from the daas if a small boat is needed, I'd say the east, is likely the safer thran for a boat... to come west than east until we can be sure of the the channel available to us."
Borygg looks between Barak and Algared as they talk, then (with a shrug of his shoulders) replies, "Either way sounds good to me. Just let me know what you need me to do."
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Algared wrote:A horse will be quicker than a man on foot.
"Okay. I have no horse and can not ride. So I will leave it to you to get Cunate to arrange a messenger. In the meantime should I start walking? I can come back if I get overtaken by the messenger."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm

"The King being dead puts the cat amongst the pigeons. Do you think there will be any help coming now? If what these sailors say is true then his son's will be keeping all their men at home in case they need them there. This is the worst news for Daaslund I think, way more so than the watery spook in the river"


"As to the shipwrighting tools being destroyed. We are building a raft, not a warboat. We need wood, rope, a knife, an axe and a barrel of ale."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum