5 Saraju 720

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:06 am

"Well first things first Bjarni. This audience with the Daas we are waiting for is because you and Sigrun believe the derelict could be salvaged. As much as you wanted you can't just go ahead and start trying to build it. First you need the supplies and I doubt we could have paid for them ourselves, secondly you need permission and we need to ensure that we dont take anothers livihood in the process.

Now I dont know the a thing about shipbuilding, but I figure if it gets people working and if it helps people feel the Daas has control of the situation then it would be a good thing, so trusting you and Sigrun and your appraisal i decided if we were going to do it we'd do it right... Personally, I like everyone else in our band and a good many here in Ygesdram would like to deprive the Dagan of his vessels, and trade goods, even if he is merely transporting supplies across the river, a nice fat talbar loaded with trade goods or supplies for his army or destined for our enemies would be a very nice prize indeed. Just as Telsi just said to barak and to us all, none of us like waiting. But also have the task we have been requested to fulfill. A task we were asked to fulfill primarily because you, Sigrun, Ejiryk, as well as Meldun, Bjorn and Bryn are all new without the ties of clan to colour your judgement. And one for which we recieve the Daas food, ale shelter and protection.

For myself, I think the only suspicions raised have been by my father's greed. So we will likely need to look further afield... and I still have the problem of trying maintain control of the elemental. But dont for a second think that I do not want to strike against the Dagan, aid our own efforts and if we can gain form personal wealth as well... you know you aren't the only one who wants the bride price and more." Algared finishes with a half chuckle.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:22 pm

"You may study the whirlpool as much as you like, but I say it is time for action Algared. Experience in the field is worth more than training for no known goal. Other than Skorri, we've not got a lead in Telsi's business, I am not even sure it is not a diversion. We are certainly going nowhere with it. Building a boat is a worthy ideal, but we don't have the skills, time, money or materials for it. As leader, if you have a clear strategy of what we should do, objectives, targets and time scales then you should tell us this evening. Many of us, not just me, have said they're getting frustrated with inaction. The last ten-day has been nothing but talk and a aborted plans. Otherwise I have a mind to follow Jabor's and Telsi's advice. It is time to be our own men and strike a blow, however small, for what we believe in."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Borygg nods his agreement at Barak's words. Given a choice between more inaction and a suicide mission, he'll go gladly to meet his maker.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Algared wearily rubs at his forehead, “Barak I don’t study the whirlpool, I'm trying to either get control or send it away. It is a creature of magic and I do know what it is and how it comes to be here. I've always tried to stress the dangers of magic and I do need to undo this or move it eastwards a fair way. I feel like I've told you a all a dozen times I am responsible for this. If Zeoul was still with us, his skills at detecting and removing enchantments would be useful, his skills lay in that field. Mine are different, but I know the theory of the skills.

As to the last ten-day, Meldun, Bryn and Bjorn have barely been here a ten day, and our plans to raid were stalled by not only by Kugald, and Jurri being summoned away but also Zeoul which was followed by the raid which subsequently left the Farvie a wreck. Not to mention news that Abderhiem was besieged.

And while Bryn and the whale here chafe at the bit they were both seriously injured and it is only thanks to magic that they now only have small wounds. So they may be impatient but in seriousness we were unable to carry out any plans until now.

However, Sigrun and Bjarni indicated they wanted to work on the boat. It seemed a wise idea.. It would help give work to others and give some small diversion from the events in Abderhiem and to the elemental on the river. While hopefully allowing Meldun and I to work together to see if we can shift the creature to the east or for good."

Looking at Bjarni Algared continues, "my observations indicate that the creature was summoned by me when a spell I was working on failed, I imagine it must have happened when I tried to heal that chest wound and the water boiled away and the bowl itself became too hot... that is the only significant failure I can account for. Though I had been thinking of ways to use magic to fight the Dagan.. I suppose...” Algared begins to drift off on a tangent, but stops returning to the topic. “Anyway as I said at the time, there is danger when you use magic. I must do what I can to remove it..."

Now when we are healed and able to function or not suffering being drunk and hung-over as most of us were yesterday, I would like us to strike against the Dagan. But if we cannot even work out how to work as a single unit then any venture into Dagan held land will be a disaster. This is why I indicated last night we need to train today, assuming Eijryk deems those with wounds fit enough.” (I believe Sigrun, Bjarni and Meldun and Bjorn (who isn't with us anymore though) were still carrying wounds).

When Borryg nods in agreement with Barak, Algared sighs deeply and then replies. "Well lets find out what the Daas says of Sigrun and Bjarni's desire to work on the derelict, and I will outline a plan of action we will take once Ejiryk gives a clean bill of health to each of the band."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bryndis Serewyn on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Bryndis will sit with Thaldirs, sharpening axes in quiet contemplation or whatever conversation should come up... until other duty calls or her companions find her and drag her away Wink
avatar
Bryndis Serewyn

Posts : 171
Join date : 2011-03-08

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

"Algared, while you are a deep thinker, and this constant worry over your pet spook shows this, you worry about training like one of those Azeryani hundred-officers my uncle told me of.

Our little crew is not enough for a shield wall, no matter what you say or think. Three men wide does not make a wall, even one as wide as me. Five men will overlap it. With our numbers so small, at best we are suited for quick in and out raids, like Eijryk with a mead-hall girl.

Sigrun wants to build a boat, or repair one - I will help her in that because she is my helmsman. I keep hearing what isn't possible. There is a malaise in this thran, that perhaps those who have lived here all their lives do not see as clearly as those who are new here."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 am

“Bjarni, I worry about controlling or removing the elemental because it hinders the fisher folk, and closes the river to Ygesdram and at present it certainly isn’t helping us. I was foolish to dream that such a creature would be able to be easily controlled and be used against the Dagan. And this creature threatens my home, It may be Alright for you, but were you in Daasen, I imagine you would have a different tone.

You say we are too small to form a shield wall? On our first task we were attacked by a patrol of Ibanvaal soldiers, they attacked from the cover of trees with archers at dawn as we readied ourselves for the day. For protection we formed a small shield wall, and when they attacked we also fought them as a shield wall. We have been called upon to fight in a shield wall with the main host. So training to work as one is not foolish.

Yes, we are best suited to skirmishing, but if we are to be quick we don’t want to be like Ejiryk with a meadhall girl he wasn’t quick he was laid up all night. My friend only a fool would say we have no need to improve our weapon skills and ability to fight together. If we merely dash in we may find ourselves unconscious or dead. If we had no need to train I am certain you and I would have lain unconscious on the ground.

Sigrun wants to build a boat, you both were of the opinion that the derelict can be repaired. I do not know know the art of shipbuilding I do not know if the vessel is repairable, but since you and Sigrun demonstrated ability in carrying out repairs on the Farvie, and you have claimed you could build better vessels than any here in Ygesdram, I accepted you word the vessel could be repaired. That is why we are here to see the Daas. One thing I do know is that the project cannot be completed without the Daas or Clan Nildrom’s help.

Do own the beach?
Have you paid for the right from the Daas allowing you to build the boat?
Have any of us got the funds to buy the required timbers, spars, canvas, oars, ropes, pitch, and nails and tackes and everything else that is required?

If I didn’t believe your boast I wouldn’t have insisted you seek the proper assistance rather than insulting your host who feeds and shelters you. What is impossible, unless you want to make enemies and be dragged before the Daas in chains, is to act like YOU are the Jarl and Valhaker, to act like you have the right to just up and start work on the Daas beach or to assume, just because Sigrun the pilot and Bjarni the sailor believe they have ability to work on boats that you can just take over what is the province and livelihood of the shipwrights. The decision is not ours to make. What I know is impossible however is for us to repair the vessel without the Daas assistance, for we cannot afford all the stores required to refit the vessel. I know you can't afford it becuse you keep on about a bride price. I know I can’t afford it, especuially if I needed to buy the goods from my father's bonding house.


I have said, if we are going to do repair the derelict we will do it correctly. Believe me I would save myself a whole lot of worry if I wasn’t willing to believe your boast about shipbuilding. We would need either the Daas permission and support or pay Skorri an unheard of fee for bringing the supplies in and we need the shipwrights help.. and that means less of your lip claiming you could build a better boat. You are not a Shipwright you are Bjarni the sailor, the whaler, if you are a master shipwright produce your papers please it will certainly help us get leave to work on the vessel, but even then we will need the supplies. Ygesdram is or was the main shipwrights store on this side of Daaslund where would you get the stores?"
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 am

"I understood everything except for the bit between 'Bjarni' and when you stopped talking," Bjarni says scratching his head and shrugging, "but I did understand this much - Someone needs to boast in this thran. I see no exortations to victory, just a lot of headless chickens. I am getting sick of being told I am insulting my hosts and that I should feel grateful for some weak northern ale and cheese. I killed three in the battle the other day. More than most of the heroes in Cunate's huscarles, so they can kiss my arse."



avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:41 pm

There is a considerable wait until finally someone from clan Nildrom appears it is an elderly man, his hair grey and thinning and the creases on his face would put him in his early 50's. Your warband are admitted into the greathall along with the elderly man. The man moves with a spring in his step and with an agility that belies his age.

While you wait outside you see most of the Daas thrangaard begin to arrive and enter the hall. You notice Tersi and Madrin arrive next and Cunate is the last to arrive and enter the hall. You are still waiting outside for a short time before you are bid entry by one of the servants of the hall.

Inside the hall are assembled Cunate Daas, Tersi Trilsten and his son Madrin along with several servants who move about the hall attending to the occupants as well as other duties. Several other members sit about the hall including most of the Daas thrangaard. The hearth fire burns low with a thin sheet of smoke rising to the roof summit, several lanterns burn from the rafters and the predictable smell of burning whale oil permeats the hall. The dry packed earth underneath has recently recieved a new covering of saw dust which has been lightly cast upon the floor adding its scent to surrounding air.

The tables have been cleared from the hall and the hall stands empty except for Cunates ornate chair at the far end of the hall along with a table where Tersi and Madrin are seated. Several other chairs occupy the room but the other occupants of the room are seated on them. Moving to the end of the hall your warband moves to one side of the hall the elderly man moves to the other as is the custom for such an event.

Tersi starts the proceedings with the formal announcement "Who comes before the Valhakar to have their voice heard at this ting" the older man is the first to speak "I am Zaan Nildrom of Orebro thran, hear to speak on behalf of clan Nildrom" the warband are then offered their chance of introduction. Once all the formalities of the greetings are done Cunate is the first speak, from his chair Cunate speaks in voice loud enough to be heard by all in the hall "Tersi tells me you want to rebuild the wrecked boat on the beach?" he asks as a servant refills his tankard with ale.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Barak thanks the servant and says "I do not need to speak to Cunate on this matter, so, with your permission, I will wait outside here until my friends are done."

Post by GM The servant merely nods his head acknowledging your statement. From inside the hall you hear only murmurings as the proceedings begin, but almost immediately a voice can be heard saying something about not allowing a women to speak during this meeting. From what you are able to tell the voice probably belongs to Sordi Daas. You remember him entering the hall earlier.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Bjarni says as an aside to Sigrun, "Pilot, perhaps it is better if you speak for us. I might forget myself"

Post by GM Sordi Daas stands from his chair "You are going to let a woman speak for you, Cunate, this goes against custom, no woman is allowed to speak here! I do not know what standards our Daasen bretheren have dropped to but this cannot be allowed!" as Sordi continues to speak the others in attendance look on with a mix of horror and disgust at Bjarni for even contemplating that a woman should speak here. Cunate turns to Tersi with a questioning look "Well?" he says. Tersi stands before saying "It is against such custom that a woman should speak during such proceedings" Tersi answers before resuming his seat.

"The matter is decided then, who else amongst you will speak?" says Cunate.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:25 am

[OoC - Jeez Sordi Daas has good hearing]

Post by GM Why? He is in the hall with you when you started to speak.

"I guess that will be me then," Bjarni says to Sigrun and he steps forward.

"Lord Cunate, we have no wish to stand on the toes of clan Nildrom, whose house I have dwelt in and defended as these scars and three dead foemen show. We have no wish to be clan shipwrights. We just wish to test the feasibility of fixing up a ship from the wrecks still here using the resources we have so we can take the war to the enemy rather than sit on our arses waiting for the Dagen wolf to snap his jaws. Some of us would like to go wolf hunting and perhaps present you with a pelt or two. If making one of the tubs seaworthy is unfeasible, then give us permission to raid the enemy and take one off them."

Offhandedly to Sordi Daas he will shrug and add

"Perhaps the standards of your Daasen brethren have fallen, but only to the extent that they have carved out a new kingdom while some of their cousins in the homeland spent the years washing hides in buckets of piss, noble as that is of course"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

Algared is about to step forward when Bjarni responds.

"Enough Bjarni and be quiet!" He says as he steps forward and forcefully places his hand across the big mans chest and pushing back.

"My Jarl, I beg you forgive Bjarni his rudeness." Algared begins and quickly continues hoping he is himself is not silenced by Cunate. "Being a foreginer he has yet to learn how civilised people behave. However, My pilot Sigrun and Bjarni both formerly crew of the Farvie, who displayed skill in carrying out repairs on vessels believed that with aid the remains of the warboat could be salvaged. I am no shipwright but I grew to trust their love of vessels and skill in maintaining them.

The Dagan has attacked our home and has tried to take away from us things we hold dear. Yet his raiders left what may be the seeds enabling revenge and new life. With Clan Nildrom, if the vessel could be saved, we can restablish our thrans ability to build vessels here. And we can use the reborn warboat to take the fight to the Dagan. Not knowing who in Clan Nildrom to speak to regarding the feasibility of the proposal and knowing the vessel was on your land I brought their request to you and now this thing.

While Bjarni's rudeness shames me my Jarl as one of my companions his lack of judgement is my failing, and any crime is my crime. However, his desire and even my Pilot Sigrun's desire to help take the fight to the Dagan whether by helping to build a vessel or by going to raid Dagan held land. He is impulsive my Jarl but I know many of my companions also chaff and desire to take the fight to the Dagan." Algared gives Bjarni a withering look as he finshes and hopes he has said enough knowing he has heaped the coals upon his own head with a thing likely to be equally annoyed by the creature in the river.

[OOC: work prevented me from posting until now.]



Last edited by Algared on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

Post by GM wrote:Almost immediately a voice can be heard
Barak notes the increasingly raised voices, says to noone in particular "Sounds like they are having fun", thinks to himself 'I made the right choice', and heads over to the two guards to chat about whatever is the current thran gossip, and goings on in the thranhall.

[OoC: he'll be discretely particularly interested in any unusual commings and goings of visitors to the thranhall]
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Before Algared can begin Sordi laughs at Bjarni's comments "A kingdom, of what a parcel of land the size of my thumb" his tone becoming more angry "and of no more than two score of clans, besides which you are all half breeds with those Jarin anyway, there is not a true Ivinian among the lot of you, pox on you!" his is about to resume his seat but turns at the last moment "I might wash hides in a bucket of piss, but at least I know I am no fisherman pretending to be a shipwright!" Sordi resumes his seat his face flush with anger.

The others about the hall watch on intently. Algared joins in the debate. Cunate replies "I take no offence Algared, it was not me he offended" the others about the hall all smirk at this remark.

Cunate listens to Algared speak before offering Zaan Nildrom the chance to speak. The elderly man lowers his head and says "Jarl of Daaslund, I have been selected to come here and speak on our clans behalf. As you well know Ulauf has been taken into the care of the Grey Slayer less than a tenday ago. He was our clan Valhakar and leader of our clan. As is our custom we have not yet had the chance to hold council on who clan Nildrom will select as our new Valhakar. One, our likely prospect lies beseiged in the walls of Abderheim, another nearby seeks to use this as leverage to gain advantage while yet another makes promises."

Zaan turns to the others of the thrangaard and speaks "Our clan is in turmoil now, not unlike the lands of the Daas now with the Dagens men invading upon them. Should we now loose our rights to build and repair boats for Daaslund too." he then returns his gaze to Cunate "men from clan Nildrom have fought and died to defend not only this thran but Daaslund itself. Those men of clan Nildrom who march through the mountains and fought alongside you to aid your friend the Storzar, the men of clan Nildrom who now this very minute lie beseiged behind the walls of Abderheim and the men of clan Nildrom who serve to protect our Jarls very borders still."

There is a tremble in his voice as he continues "our clan has paid a high price to ensure our lands stay free!"

"I cannot say one way or the other whether the Valhakar of clan Nildrom, when he is selected, will choose to oppose this band from repairing this vessel or whether he will greet such an opportunity with open arms, this I do not know. But such a decision needs to be made by our Valhakar none the less"

Raal Daas joins in the conversation at this point, standing up he says "So if you are not allowed to repair this boat, you propose and go steal one" a look of amusement upon his face. Cunate waves his brother back to his seat "This is not the time for such conversation, we are here to see whether or not approval should be granted for this warband to begin repairs upon the hulk that lies on the beach"

Scratching his chin Cunate says "How long do you think these repairs will take and how much are they likely to cost?"
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:59 pm

"Thank you Lord Cunate.

Although the shipyard was burnt down there among the ashes the metal tools and nails still survive. We have men sitting around doing nothing who could lend a hand. I have no idea what it will cost apart from sweat and labour.

Between the Nildrom, their surviving apprentices, Pilot Sigrun and myself I believe we can do this. We need a vessel to take the war to the foe up river, not to voyage the whale road.

As Sordi says, I am no shipwright and make no claim to be even though I have some small skill in the trade. When your strakes are sprung and you are in danger of sinking every man aboard must be a shipwright to survive. The strakes on Daaslund are well and truly sprung, and the briney of Ilbanvaal is pouring in. You can only bail for so long, Lord.

And Lord Raal, I would at least try to steal a boat off the enemy. If I have to go to Talagaad I would rather earn a decent place at the Slayer's table"

Post by GM Zaan replies "Jarl, I have no idea why they should think that the apprentices should work for someone who is not by his own admission a master shipwright, this goes against all clan law" Cunate nods his head in agreement. Zaan continues "and now he proposes to pick through the ruin of my cousins yard and help themselves to the tools that do not belong to them!" Zaan voice drops in tone as he speaks.

Cunate speaks "You wish to take the war to the Dagen, I admire your eagerness to fight. The Daas have suffered badly during this war, our losses were high when we marched to aid the Storzar, we have men trapped within the walls of Abderheim as well as those needed to watch the eastern frontier. We are lucky that the Storzar is watching the south and Trond, lest our numbers thin even more. The numbers of the Dagen on the other hand continue to grow with each sucessful conquest"

"You say our strakes are sprung, I would counter that the boat is not sinking but that we are in a storm and taking on water and it is not shipwrights we need but sailors with a stout heart, strong sword arm and the wits not to panic when the storm is at its harshest and that is where a captain with knowledge, skill and leadership will either bring the boat into port safely or not only sink the boat but lead his crew to ruin."

When Bjarni mentions that men are sitting about idle Cunate turns to Tersi "Who does he speak of?" Tersi shrugs his shoulders and then turning to Bjarni says "Who do you speak of?" Tersi asks the warband.

Raal once again stands to speak "I on the other hand would prefer to bide my time fight when I am prepared to fight on the ground of my choosing and send those Ibanvaal dogs" he says while pointing off in the general easterly direction towards Abderheim "to Talagaard to prepare my place for me when the Grey Slayer chooses to have me attend his hall" he says with a smile, the others all smile at his comment.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 am

Algared listens to the progress and talk he nods when Bjarni speaks then adds.
"Zaan, we do not seek to take the rights of Clan Nildrom who have paid a high price. I am no shipwright, and while Sigrun and Bjarni have some ability to carry out repairs on a vessel they do not claim to be shipwrights either. They are sea folk who feel at a loss without a deck beneath their feet. They suggested the vessel may be repairable or salvaged to begin another. i am certain that without your clan's shipwrights, and expertise we would not be able to carry out the work.

Post by GM "But that is exactly what you are doing whether you intend to or not!" Zaan replies turning to face the warband for the first time.

I do not know the cost my Jarl," says Algared turnuing slightly towards his cousin, "but repairing a vessel would be less than rebuilding one from anew? And time to complete if it was left to my band it would be too long, but with Clan Nildrom's expertise and guidance, and the use of labour from idle hands the time required would also be significantly less."

Post by GM "Jarl that wreck on the shore will takes at least a month to repair with a shipwright working on it, the timbers would need to be brought in for there are few left here that meet the needs and as for the cost well you would be able to fully equip ten huscarls and still have some coin left to drink their health before that vessel" he says pointing towards the beach "would be ready to take sail" Cunate flicks a quick glance to Tersi on hearing this news. "So not only do you want the use of our clans tools but now our expertise and guidance next you will be wanting us to repair the boat for you too!" Zaan's temper seems to be increasing as the proceedings continue.

avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:39 am

Cunate drinks from his tankard and ponders his thoughts for some time.

"I gather that you" as Cunate nods towards the warband "are not able to finance such a task alone and ten huscarls would be of more use now than a single vessel that I cannot crew, I support clan Nildrom on this occassion. The boat will remain my property until such time as I see fit to do otherwise with it. You are to not undertake any such activity within Daaslund that in any way will threaten the trade of clan Nildrom. We are done!" those last words were spoken with a finality to them that would kill any desire to reply.

With the proceedings concluded Tersi is among the first to stand "Zaan, I bid you good day and go with the Grey Slayers blessing!" then Tersi turns his attentions to the warband "please remain I wish to speak with you!" the tone in Tersi's voice would indicate that this more than a simple request.

With the hall slowly clearing Bjarni draws the gaze of both Raal and Sordi Daas as they pass by when they leave the hall.

Tersi stands about the hall waiting for the hall to clear.

When the hall has finally cleared Tersi starts "I am disappointed in you!" his tone is dark "I sought your help to find any such spies as might be in or around the thran and you come here with a proposal to rebuild a boat!" Tersi face begins to flush red "an idea that has no thought put into it - you have no idea how long such repairs would take, no idea on how much the repairs would cost and then you try to do so without so much as asking clan Nildrom on their thoughts before you bring this to Cunate!"

"So tell me what have you done, apart from suspect your father of suspect trading habits that would find any spies?" he fires off at Algared.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 am

"Perhaps there are no spies. How would I know who is who here? Apart from members of this band and a few others, most people here ignore me or insult me because of something a grandsire did thirty or forty years ago.

Post by GM "I care not whether you know anyone or not around the thran - what have you done was my question!"

The King dead and no help coming. Armies bigger than we can match massing on the borders, half the kingdom hate the Storzar and their allies - which is us - and would see us go down in ruin in spite of the dangers. Perhaps the Daas needs to steer a new course or this storm will swamp this pile as surely as Njehu sucks down wary sailors. Pah, a steady hand at the steering oar indeed."

Bjarni kicks a bench in his frustration and storms out. If he sees the Nildrom representative he will stab an accusatory finger in his direction and say "Take your tools? I already bled for them but now I wouldn't give you the piss in my bladder for them. The contents of my sea chest that burnt in that hall were worth more."

Post by GM Zaan sees your gesture and replies "You did not bleed for my tools you fat oaf! You bleed so that you pick the pocket of a dead man - you think that story has not done the rounds you imbecile!"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:26 am

"A dead man that I killed. The only way you will kill anyone is by getting them to take one of your boats to sea."

Post by GM "Ah, but his friend almost killed you, there is a lesson in that Bjarni, it is always good to have a friend around and you can never have to many when you are in the middle of fight!" then turning Zaan begins to walk away before turning back "And at least I have a boat!" the man almost bursts into laughter as he turns and walks away

"You are a fool Nildrom, all your clan privelege wont be worth a sparrow's fart if the Dagen takes over,"
Bjarni shouts after him, "and your boat is a worthless piece of barely floating weasel shit."


Last edited by Bjarni Daasen on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:25 am

"We did track down members of Clan Nildrom and said they couldnt advice us. As for seeking the source of any spies first we endeavoured to watch for any that had chance to pass word to those emessaries, and found non had appeared to do so. We tried to evaluate if any were using the river or roads to pass information, but could find little evidence of that. Having failed there and with no leads to follow we approached our those we knew to see what they were thinking, almost unaminously there were grumblings against my father. I thought the girls in the mead hall could have been showing undo attention to people but it seemed again due to the charges Skorri was charging forcing the girls to be asked to work harder. The fourth day after recieving the charge we were attacked by the Dagan raiders. Rumours of Skorri's part in the 'defence" of the bonding house and the fact it wasn't burned and showed evidence of little sustained attack was raised as being suspicious. I was however injured.

Having spent time recuperating and visiting the thran and paying respects to the fallen we planned to continue, I spent time seeking to speed our recovery and the recovery of any who desired it. After the rise of the elemental we then figured that some may seek to pass news to the Dagan, and tried to watch the roads, I have tried to either remove it or control it.

Well I've failed, in gathering information pointing to a spy or collaborator as has Barak and Borryg. The hunter and shieldmaiden have found little and have been recoverimg from wounds. Yesterday before my father kicked me from his house we tried to search for signs that someone may have tried to find out more about the creature of what I was doing since I was claiming to have summoned the creature. Borryg was watching and when I returned with barak neither having seen or found anything of note We noticed Borryg and the Shieldmaden were absent, they followed a longshore man of my father who left towards the east after speaking with my father shortly after I accended the hill.

I decided to see if I could help out at the bonding house and maybe learn more after which I was sent to gather my belongings. I spent last night on the hill trying to get control of remove the elemental but then I failed at that also.

I have tried to explain my fathers behavbiour away but at every turn his name seems to appear. As we have seemed to draw a blank I have tried to discern the value in giving us this task for to me we seem ill suited to it."

avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am

Barak watches the exchange between Bjarni and Zaan with interest. Once the shipwright's clansman has left Barak goes over to speak to Bjarni.

Post by GM Zaan appears to either ignore Bjarni's comment or simply fails to hear him as he continues to head towards the thranaal's gatehouse.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:39 am

Bjarni sees Barak coming over and shrugs his shoulders. "That could have gone better. I do not understand things here. They act like there is no war and like Sigrun and I are trying to steal off them. Bastards.

I gave my oath to my Captain and ship. I seem to have neither now so not sure what I should do. Everything that we suggested was thrown out like yesterday's scraps.

I was also thinking back on the fight the other day. I do not doubt Cunate's bravery - before I fell wounded I saw him in battle - but I still cannot think why he assembled at the thran gates when the place to oppose a landing is on the only little beach where they could get ashore. If we had formed a wall on the shoreline we could have slaughtered them as they waded ashore. We had the time - and we would still have a shipyard, and probably three ships.

Listen to me, I am rambling like Algared."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:49 am

"The rights, privillages, and history of the clans define what is Daaslund. In Cunates eyes to circumvent them is to destroy what he us trying to save. Rebuilding the wreck was never technically feasible anyway. Liberating one is."

"As for the battle maintaining the force at the thranaal's gate gave the weak, women, children, the elderly, a chance to seek safety. Trying to muster the fyrd at the beach would have been a disaster. They are not a well drilled huscarl warband, just simple militia who know to muster at the thranaal gate. I doubt that he had time to get his force to the beach in time to do any good. We didn't and we were half way there."

"I would have done things differently. I would have sent my huscarls to oppose the invaders straight away. But I suspect Cunate acted to guarantee the safety of his core responsibility, rather than gamble on his warriors being able to turn back the onrush from three warboats."

"I think Algared was rash to take the idea to a full Ting. There are too many vested interests in maintaining status quo, and I doubt we had a well thought out plan to present. No one has even looked at the wreck to see how badly damaged it is. To succeed we would have needed to have members of the Thrangaad speak for us. I know of no allies on the council."

"I am tired of being patient and I am preparing for the next step. However first I will wait for the others and train if that is what is decided. I'll listen to what Algared has to propose. What his great plan is."

"And on the subject of training we are too small to make a shield wall, but there are times when a well learned tight defensive formation will be useful, and we may have to fight together as part of Cunates shield wall, but most importantly of all it gives us the chance to learn each others weaknesses and strengths, it gives the opportunity for us to learn to cooperate together in a situation where any uncertainty is fatal, and it provides the less martial amongst us some experience of combat manoeuvres."


Last edited by Barak Daas on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected typos)
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 am

"That is the longest thing I have ever heard you say. I guess you are right - I know I had time to get from the meadhall to the shipyard, don my wargear and rejoin the crew. No one has answered this question though - where were our watchers who are supposed to give warning of approach by river? Do we have any? I said it before, they should be whipped.

Post by GM You like everyone else heard the alarm bell ring to warn of the attack. It gave ample warning to the families to gain the shelter of the thranaal and for your warband to meet and assemble before the attack.

I think Cunate's brother might be interested in our idea of stealing a boat, but to be honest, at this stage I would rather have an ale."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum