13 Saraju 720

Go down

13 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

Some time during the night each of the warband are awoken as they thudding of hail is heard hitting the ground outside and the crash upon the thatch of the roof. The hailstones are small and do little but disturb your sleep. Each warrior quickly drifts off back to sleep again. It is still dark when you are awoken by Jabor and the glow of the smouldering coals is the only light within the hall.

In the dim hall you notice that you are one warrior short, it seems Sigrun has gone. Her gear gone along with the rations she had been given, a few coins, the bowl and spoon sit atop a nearby table. A worrying search of the hall shows no sign of the pilot.

Soon lanterns are lit as the warband prepare the coming day. Each warrior goes about their morning routine, noting that the rain has stopped, a strong wind blows from the south west and the air is chill. The morning is cold with the sky mostly hidden by a thick cloud cover. A feint glow can be seen in the eastern sky behind the mountains.


Last edited by GM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:55 am

Bjarni will glance at the eastern dawn and say "at sea that is warning of bad weather. I hope it is not an omen."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 am

Barak will collect his arrows (taking his total back to 24) and rations and then get his gear together and wait for Algared's command to move out.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 am

Algared returns from his morning activities, gathers his pack ensures his seachest is locked. he intends to leave the sea chest behind and with the warband draws his rations and a quiver of arrows. He ensures his water skin is full and with little fuss once the band are ready they slip out of the thran.

"Barak we will need your guidence and skill along with Borryg's to guide our path. Our friends in Abderhiem relay upon us leading the Daas host into position. Sigrun and Bryndis will follow, placing Bryndis in the best position to support you both and offering the best protection for Sigrun, and Bjarni and I will bring up our rear." He says as they forward out.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 am

Bjarni will grab a quiver of arrows as well. He doesn't use a bow but it can't hurt for the others that do to have some spares. Shouldering his load, he follows Algared and the others out.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 am

Approaching the thranaal in the feint morning glow the gates are opened and inside the thranaal is a hive of activity. Men move about the thranaal with a determined purpose, huscarls move about wearing full armour, helmets hang from belts, shields are slung across backs and weapons hang from belts. Others move about the thranaal carrying al sorts of things, women are hugging and kissing their warriors goodbye.

Nearing the gatehouse you are met by the two guards who after exchanging greetings offer each of you a satchel containing food and a quiver of arrows. Inside the satchel it would seem from a quick inspection that it contains enough dried rations for about four days. Each quiver holds the customary 24 arrows.

With the equipment handed out one of the guardsmen holds out a spare satchel "Who is this for?" he says
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:30 am

"It is for one of our band who is otherwise indosposed. I will take it for her," Bjarni says as he puts his arm out for the satchel.

Post by GM The guard nods his head and hands over the satchel
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:36 am

Does Barak meet up with the lead scout to discuss how to mark the route, and other signs, as suggested to Tersi yesterday? If not Barak will ask one of the guards if he can speak to Thaldris or the scouts.

Barak takes the number (5 IIRC) of arrows required to take his quiver back to the full 24, and returns the rest to the guard with a "Thank you".

Once equipped Barak asks Bjarni "Do you know what happened to Sigrun? Has she gone? I havn't seen her all morning. I know she was impatient to get back to the sea, but I didn't think she'd just vanish."

Post by GM Tersi informs you yesterday that the details of marking the route are to mark trees with a visible scarf mark
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:50 am

A strong wind blows in from the south west carrying the smells of the morning meal upon it, the aroma of cooking oats and cooked apples wafts through the air amid the familiar smells of the thranaal. The smell of oats reminds the warband of their filling but plain meal of oatcakes, cheese and a handful of dried fruit. With only the glow of Yael visible above the eastern mountains, the warband hoist packs upon their backs, secure their weapons and with a quick look eastward head off.

The eastern sky glows with the orange hues of the morning sky refecting off the clouds that merge with the eastern horizon, while to the west night still clings to what is left of the night. The west is still shrouded in the deep greys of early dawn, while the deep grey sky is hidden slighty by a few dark clouds. The sky above is clear as it makes its transition through dawn and into early morning.

There is still a chill in the air as the warband gathers about the gatehouse as they draw their rations and quivers of arrows. Your cloaks do well to protect you from the nights air but with each blast of the chill wind it sends a slight shiver upon you. Barak comments that the day may still be chill but there is no sign of any rain today.

The ground is still slighty muddy from the previous days rain, but the hail has melted away adding to the accumulation of water upon the ground.

As the warband make ready to leave there is only the slightest hint about the thran itself that the army is preparing to move, few of the warriors have begun to assemble but the clanhouses about the thran are slightly more active than they usually would be at this time of the morning.

Hoisting packs upon your backs, slinging satchels over shoulders and securing weapons and shields the warband make ready to head off. Barak is the first to head out and the warband quickly fall in behind as Barak leads the warband down the hill from the thranaal between the meadhall and the clanhouse, turning east Barak follows the road to the east passing the nearby clanhouses as he begins the slight climb between the clanhouses. Within moments he has lead the warband out of Ygesdram and out through the fields and pastures surrounding the thran.

Barak is familiar with the countryside and makes good going as he pushes eastward as he makes his way along muddy paths that run between the fields and pastures heading between the thran of Jeinmark and Orebro. Of note as you make your journey is the lack of planting that has been undertaken so far this spring few of the fields seem to be planted and of these weeds and birds have taken their toll on the small seedlings. Soon the small footpath you are travelling along intersects with the small but wider trail that connects the thrans of Orebro and Jeinmark.

Turning north along the trail you arrive at a smaller foot trail that cuts into the hills leading to a small tin mine amid the base of the mountains. But Barak avoids the turn and follows the trail north for a few hundred metres before turning east again. Now he leads the warband across country and scarfs the first of the trees to indicate the path he is taking. Turning back to his companions Barak says "They can follow our tracks easy enough along these muddy roads!".

The going becomes more difficult now as the warband cuts their way over spur lines as they run down from the higher mountains. The sides are steep and cut with rocks. With each spur line crested the warband is greeted by another steep descent into the reentrant beyond to be followed by another steep climb to the crest of the next spur line. Despite the cold weather sweat soon starts to form upon the brows of the warband. Bjarni struggles the most with the difficult going but despite his mubblings he pushes on.

Around high Yael the warband has reached the larger trail that leads to the tin mine and connects with the main Abderheim - Jeinmark road. Crossing this trail Barak has not moved more than a few hundred metres before he calls a halt to the warbands movement....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Barak carefully and silently lowers his packs and bags to the ground. He beckons Borygg, and the rest of the party over silencing them with a finger over his lips. Whilst waiting for them to gather he puts on his helm and readies his spear and shield.

He whispers "There is a camp over towards the road, Borygg and Bryndis, we're going to circle round it, at a distance and approach it from the East - hopefully any watchers will be looking to the west. I don't know who they are, but if there is any signs of trouble I say we strike first. ALgared and Bjarni can you provide backup - see if you can stop anyone escaping, your spear throwing skills will be useful for this."

If there is no dissent, Barak will carry out the plan.

Post by GM It becomes clear that as you watch the campsite that no one is about
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Circling about the warband moves from tree to tree as you move to approach the camp from the east. As you push around the camp you notice a recent trail that leads towards the camp in the west and off into the hills to the east.

Nearing the camp, it is clear that this campsite is empty and has not been used for a few days at least. The ground is worn flat and in same areas the grass has gone completely. It seems a flash of sunlight upon a bronze mirror left behind by one of the camps occupants drew your attention. That seems to be the only rubish left behind by the camps occupants.

The camp would have held no more than four men at most but certainly was big enough for two men at least. No fire can be seen so the men that stayed here did so without the benefit of warm fire.

Wandering about the camp it is clear that from its position that it is not used to watch the east west road. Its position is too far into the hills to be used for observation and it does not give a good view of the trail to the tin mine either. A trail leads westward from the campsite.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Bjarni takes the opportunity to lighten his load and flex his throwing arm...just in case.

"Could this just be a hunter's camp?" Bjarni asks of Barak and Borygg when he gets the cahnce.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:10 pm

"It could. But why camp - you've seen how close we are to the thran."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"It could. But why camp - you've seen how close we are to the thran."

"They weren't watching the road, and clearly wanted to remain unseen. From the ground it looks as though they were hear some time. Was it possible this was where traitors or spies passed on information?" Algared asks.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:41 pm

"It is possible that this was used by spies. We could follow the trail westward a little to find out more; but, we'd loose time in scouting the route for our army. I think we best leave it for now."

Barak will pick up the bronze mirror. Is it marked in anyway? He'll pass it on to Bjarni "You may find this useful."

Barak will go back to recovery his kit with the rest, once it is decided what to do.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm

'Well it looks like there's a trail that heads off west that would be towards Ygesdram, and another that goes east into the hills. following the trail will slow us from our task. Though we are also keen to ensure the main host are undiscovered.. But our path heads east and we're keeping to the hills also. But we should press on, but we can likely follow that trail a little ways eastwards anyway.' Algared says after some thought before the band move off once again. "Though we also want to be sure we mark the trail."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:40 am

Bjarni puts his new mirror in his pack when he returns along with the others to gather his gear. The big man sweats heavily from his labours during the march and the brief rest has been welcome to all. A chance to drink some water and catch your breath.

The wind continues to blow in gusts, these gusts are barely felt by the warband amid the thick forested slopes. The tops of the trees bend with each gust and the rustling of the trees crowns obscures most noises from below.

Turning east the warband follows the small path as it continues to the usual rise and fall. It is hard to determine when this path was last used, the rain and hail of the previous day has made Barak's tracking all the more difficult. At best Barak can determine that the path has not been used since the hail last night.

Leaving the trail the warband pushes up into the hills. Barak stopping at regular intervals to ensure that a clear visible sign is left on nearby trees. The going becomes more difficult and it seems that little distance has been covered before the long shadows warn of impending night fall.

There is little undergrowth about as such grasses and the like are unable to find suitable purchase among the rocks and the shadows from the trees keep the sunlight at bay as well. Small tufts of grass grow no higher than your shin grow through the cracks in the rocks and in small areas where sunlight is able to filter through the canopy above. The ground about is strewn with rocks ranging in size from the smallest about the size of a mans fist to the largest about the size of an ale keg. There are areas where rocks are absent but they are mainly on the steep slopes of the spur lines.

Barak calls a halt near the crest of a small rise, a flat area big enough for the warband to sleep upon is found and just off the crest to keep them out of the winds icy touch. A few tufts of dry grass grow about the campsite.

It seems from the distance travelled today that the warband will reach the thran of Abderheim by high Yael tommorrow. The main force arriving late in the afternoon if they are on time....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:52 am

"Thank the Slayer we have finished this climb," Bjarni collapses on the ground. "Oh for a tankard of mead."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:30 pm

"Algared, you said that the Daas wants to arrive at Abderheim on the 16th, didn't you? If so we're going to arrive there far too soon. Should we be camping her tomorrow rather than pushing on? I didn't speak to the Daas, or Thaldris, so I don't know what the timings are supposed to be."

Barak helps build the camp for the night, and warns people against setting a fire.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:41 pm

"Don't we need to get to Abderheim early so that we can thoroughly scout out the place and report back well before the main force gets there? If we stay here for a day, will we still have time to do that?"
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm

"Ah, in that case we need to press on."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:59 am

Barak Daas wrote:"Algared, you said that the Daas wants to arrive at Abderheim on the 16th, didn't you? If so we're going to arrive there far too soon. Should we be camping her tomorrow rather than pushing on? I didn't speak to the Daas, or Thaldris, so I don't know what the timings are supposed to be."

Barak helps build the camp for the night, and warns people against setting a fire.

"we need to choose a path, So that the Daas are in position so that on the 16th they can liberate those at Abderhiem. It is also probable the host will be traveling slower than we will be. It was hoped we'd be about a quarter watch ahead of the Daas. We seemed to make good headway today though. I'd imagine we want the host to arrive some time in the afternoon on the 15th. But I imagine if we arrive at miday tomorrow they will hopefully arrive late in the day unless they are detained.

As for watches, tonight Bryndis if you could take first watch, I'll take second and Bjarni you take third watch. Barak and Borryg sleep. If there is trouble wake either Barak or Borryg first."

Algared has his meal as the warband discuss their progress and in the gathering gloom checks his equipment before turning in early.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:46 am

The warband drop packs and settle down for the evening. Taking the opportunity to rest, warriors reach into food bags and begin to eat. Having stopped several times during the day to refill waterskins you are able to drink heartily to wash down the meal of oatcakes, dried meats, cheese and some dried fruits.

Nolomar crests the ridge of the eastern mountains and casts a glow across the forest floor. It is near full with only the slightest sliver off the southern edge still missing. Nolomar glows brightly from behind a bank of clouds as it rises into the nights sky. Every now and then Nolomar breaks through the clouds as it rises and shadows casts an eery pattern.

The evening is cold with a steady wind blowing in from the south west. the trees sway back and forth with each gust and with the coming night the sounds of the trees brushing against each other are the only sounds you can hear amid the wooded hills.

Weary from the days march the warband get what rest they can and turn in early with the coming dark. Bryndis is the first to stand watch, the woods are quiet and there are few other sounds that can be heard. With Nolomar high in the night sky it is free of the cloud and the shadows shorten creating good visibility through the trees. With Nolomar now high in the sky Bryndis wakes Algared for his turn on watch.

Rising slowly from his warm blanket Algared pulls his cloak about him tightly as the chill night air cuts through the warmth of his slumber. Wandering the camp his foot falls are almost silent as he treads through the sparse foilage of the forest floor. Algared follows Nolomars path through the night sky until high Nolomar....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 13 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum