15 Saraju 720

Go down

15 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:11 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

The wind continues to blow strong from the south west and cuts along the edge of the mountains making the temperature drop slightly, the warband is sheltered from the worst of the wind in the lee of a spur line. The night sky is partly hidden by a thin layer of cloud and Yael shines brightly from the sky above, illuminating the woods giving reasonable visibilty of about 10 -15 yards through the trees.

In the fading hours of the night, Nolomar's arrival is signalled by the feint glow growing in the eastern sky. Soon the warband are awoken and go about their morning routines.

The weather has changed little over the last watch, the wind continues to gust severely from the south west, with thickening cloud starting to form, but there does not seem to be any immediate threat of rain predicted.

avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 am

Barak quickly gets up and packs away his bedroll. He dons his gear and has a quick look round the camp before eating some choice tit-bits for breakfast.

"Algared, I think we need to co-ordinate with the Daas' host before we push much further forward. What do you want me to do? Go forward or wait for the army to join us."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Algared listens to Barak as they break their fast with another dry meal.
"I had expected the Daas host to reach us around dusk, my concern is that we may have progressed to far ahead. Our goal is to be in place by today so we can attack tomorrow. You have already advanced to the edge of wood line closer to Abderhiem if I understood from last night, so leading us forward we be easier. With our trail marked I'm loath to back track and risk the head of our trail being found.

That said I'd be happier knowing they are making just traveling slower and have not run into grief. If we hold here it does allow us to send back and lead them or wait. I know Bjarni has made the suggestion twice that we send a report back. However it was the belief that they would reach us near dusk that fiesta led that, and I am still loathe to send anyone back especially if anyone is scouting ahead since we'd be three very small groups.

So do we scout ahead, remain here for a watch until the Daas reach here then lead them to the edge of the woods near evening so we cross the lowlands towards Abderhiem in the predawn light or do we send scout a report back to the Daas?"
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 am

"I cannot see the main host having slipped past us. They are supposed to be following the signs Barak left. My guess is that they are just delayed."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:43 pm

"Barak I tend to agree with you, if I understood the plan correctly we lead the way and want to be positioned in such a way that we can break through the siege lines without joining up with the Storzar's forces.

If we spy any patrols we want to attack them but let's let them draw near.

It is tempting to send one or two of us back but that merely puts both small groups at a disadvantage. So I think we follow the plan the Daas force will need time to rest and get into position so we need to get as far north by midday as we expect they will make by dusk."

With discussions ended the party finish packing up their campsite and prepare to move off.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch - End 3rd watch

With their morning routine complete, bedding packed and a small meal eaten the warband discuss todays plan of action. With a course set the warriors gather their belongings together, shoulder their packs, hoist up shields and spears and set off towards Abderheim.

The terrain is the same as that already traversed, a series of rocky spur lines that run towards the river that make the going slow, hand holds are easy to find to use to support each warrior as they ascend and descend each spur in turn, the hills are dotted with fir trees which protects the warriors from the strong wind blowing and provides and element of shade.

The weather is like the day before, the temperature is cool, with a strong wind blowing from the south west, the wind calms towards the middle of the 3rd watch while Nolomar climbs skyward hidden intermittantly by a thin blanket of white cloud. There looks to be no rain in the immediate future from the looks of it.

Moving ever closer to the thran Barak continues to mark the trail for those following all the while both he and his companions scan the woods about them for any sign of human activity. Moving closer to Abderheim the warband find no human activity about these woods except for some old sign indicating that several people had moved out of the hills towards the river. The trail is about 6 days old - there is little more that can be gleaned from these old tracks.

Nearing the end of the 3rd watch you have moved into a position that over looks the thran of Abderheim. You find a location amid a cluster of rocks set amongst thick undergrowth an area of thinner undergrowth heads towards the thran as it merges closer to the thran the undergrowth shrinks and before you are three fallow fields.

From your vantage point, you watch the thran, you can see the thranaal which looks to have sustained the siege so far. It looks as if there are about 200 - 300 warriors inhabit the thran, they are mainly scattered about the area of the market while a smaller contingent of about thirty watch the thranaal from the buildings to the southeast.

A stream runs along the thrans northern side, a narrow ford crosses the stream to a narrow path that heads south from the thran. A meadow runs along the western edge of the stream a small stand of trees is near it's centre. A small pebbly beach is nestled in a cove along the eastern shoreline, near the beach is a market square. About a half dozen buildings surround the market square while a narrow path runs westward towards the thranaal, several buildings line both sides of the path. From your vantage point you cannot see inside the thranaal.

avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:08 am

Barak says to Algared "Some of us need to go back, at least to point where the tran is out of sight, to warn Cunate that he is getting near Abderheim. I am sure he will not want the whole host to loom in to view prematurely."

"We also need to decide whether one of us needs to scout closer to the thran."

[I take it that the thranaal has "survived" the siege? Are the warriors in the thran looking hostile to the thranaal (i.e. Looking out or in)?]

Post by GM The thranaal does appear to have survived the siege so far, there are obvious signs of battle about the thranaal, discarded weapons and shields and other assorted battle refuse. From your vantage point it seems as though there might be a stalemate occurring, neither side with enough advantage to press home an attack. But the warriors are on guard and watching the thranaal. The buildings about the thran are still standing and some appear to have suffered some sort of damage during the siege. The buildings closest the thranaal appear more damage than the others, but are still standing and have a roof above them.

Barak was expecting more than 2-300 Ibanvaal so, from the current vantage point, he will look around carefully to see if any are concealed elsewhere (in woods or barns etc). He will also check out the road north and any other paths leading to Storzarlund for signs of activity.

Post by GM There does not seem to be any other warriors concealed about the thran. The main trail into Storzarlund lies amid open fields, meadows and pastures and while it offers a reasonable view down the lenght of the road, it would be difficult to approach. As you search about the woods you find no other trails that obviously lead into Storzarlund, however, you are able to find several game/hunting trails that head off in that general direction. There has been no recent activity along these paths at least in the last tenday.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:28 am

Algared listens to Barak and nods, "Have you selected a site for the Daas host to rest tonight?" Algared asks. "Here looks to be a fine vantage point and it is good to see that Abderhiem holds still.." with a chuckel he adds 'so we can really make a name for ourselves 5 against 300 easy odds."

Letting his mirth subside a little Algared continues, "I am not sure we will learn too much more by scouting closer, our vantage point gives us a good view. maybe scouting a little more eastwards may be advantageous, but before we do that selecting a postion where camp can be made would be better. As to sending back to lead the Dass here or to meet him on the trail and indicate we are close to our target... I think we need our a look watch here and that would mean either you or Borryg remain and I'd suggest with atleast one other. Similarly sending any to meet the Daas scouts I would desire more than one. While I expect the Daas with his maps and his scouts willhave a good idea where he is, it will be at least advantageous to meet the lead further back."

Algared looks at each the party trying to determine who appears the most worn out, but figures that with an effective rest the previous day for himself Bryndis and Bjarni all three should be able to make an addition march if need.

"I suspect that you and Borryg remaining here with your gear and the spare arrow quivers would be best, while the Bryndis, Bjarni and and Bjarni follow our trail back in order to ensure the Dass knows they are close... Unless there are any other matters to consider." Algared waits giving time for the others to give their thoughts if none are presented than.

If no variation is suggested Barak and Borryg remain while Bryndis, Algared and Bjarni retrace their trail inorder to meet the Daas force and lead them to the campsite overlooking Abderhiem.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 am

"If the plan is for the Dass to attack tomorrow, won't Cunate's force be a days march behind us. I presume that they won't want to camp this near to Adberheim, probably more like last nights site. How do we keep in touch if we do see anything of interest here? Where will we find you?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 pm

"No Barak, the Daas wanted to arrive in the at dusk, as I understood it so as to be in position for the attack in the morning.. or to coincide with the Storzar's. And where we were last night is where I was thinking we'd go to meet the Daas. Communication is the problem though if we are at last nights camp infact every time we break into sub groups communication is a problem. Of course we can all remain here and select a camp further back in the hills and trust that the Daas arrives as intended and follows our trail... my thinking in some of us heading back was to let the Daas know they were here and it was more important to remain silent. So for that task I would need to trust your woodmans skills for the appropriate distance from this position. I imagine ideally we'd want to be far enough back along our path to meet the daas but close enough to give supportl."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:50 pm

"I would suggest that you meet the Daas well back from the thran if he wishes to wait and take the Ibanvaal by surprise. Maybe you should wait where we camped last night, that is close enough to here to be an easy march for the army, but far enough that the men are unlikely to be spotted or heard. Who is going to stay heer and who is going to go back to meet with Cunate?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 pm

"Well thinking about it I am getting tired of traipsing back and forth across these hills. I will stay here with Barak if that that is agreed"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Bryndis Serewyn on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:17 am

"Perhaps three should stay here and two should return. If Algared and I can backtrack to our position last night, Byorrg, Bjarni and Barak can stay here and keep watch. Should anything happen worth notification, Byorrg or Barak are stealthy enough to find the rearguard and give report while still leaving two here to watch. Algared and I can meet up with the host and give a tactical report of the situation...and if Cunate wants to send an additional scout forward, they can follow Barak's trail."
avatar
Bryndis Serewyn

Posts : 171
Join date : 2011-03-08

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Bryndis Serewyn wrote:"Perhaps three should stay here and two should return. If Algared and I can backtrack to our position last night, Byorrg, Bjarni and Barak can stay here and keep watch. Should anything happen worth notification, Byorrg or Barak are stealthy enough to find the rearguard and give report while still leaving two here to watch. Algared and I can meet up with the host and give a tactical report of the situation...and if Cunate wants to send an additional scout forward, they can follow Barak's trail."
Borygg nods in agreement. "This sounds like a good plan."
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 am

"I agree" says Barak as he settles down to watch, pulling a strip of dried beef to chew on whilst he waits.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm

"Then we are agreed, Bryndis and I will return to the our previous camp and await the Daas, While the rest of you remain and keep watch.... We'll leave the extra quivers with you since neither of us use the bow so you'll use them before we do." Algared chuckles as he removes the quiver of arrows and places them next to the others packs, then shouldering his pack once more says "Bryndis, when you are ready we can move out."

With the decisions made Bryndis and Algared move off following the trail as they return to the previous nights camp where they intend to meet up with the Daas forceThAd they return they move cautiously and endeavor to stay alert.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:24 am

It is early in the 4th watch before Algared and Bryndis have gathered their gear together and make ready to head off. The two head off towards the south and as Barak watches he sees them begin to drift off course, but they soon find and marked tree and find their bearings before quickly disappearing over the next rise and out of sight.

The thran remains quiet over the next watch, the Ibanvaal warriors watch the thranaal closely and while watching the remaining three notice riders come from both north and south along the roads into the thran, you try to gather any sort of pattern to their movements but there does not appear to be any, the riders enter the thran and dismount in the market square before disappearing from view amid the buildings surrounding the market.

The thranaal itself remains quiet too, although you are able to watch as the guards change in the battered gatehouse. There is movement about inside the thranaal as those besieged inside go about their day to day business as best they can. It seems from this distance at least that those besieged are prepared to continue the fight for as long as possible...
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Bjarni will make himself as comfortable as conditions allow. No point being uncomfortable.

"I wonder how much ale they have left down there?" he muses.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm

"Don't count your casks before they are broached" replies Barak.

Does either side in the thran appear to be making any preparations for attack or defence or do the appear to be going through a daily routine?

Post by GM You watch the thran for the better part of the afternoon and note no serious activity that would indicate an attack is imminent, while the defenders seem to be going about their daily routines, which includes preparing and maintaing the defences
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:23 am

Barak Daas wrote:"Don't count your casks before they are broached" replies Barak.

"Yes well I learnt that last time. Tell me Barak, I am a little uncertain what our role is to be now. When the Daas host coems up do we join them for the attack or do we try to draw some of the beseigers away from Abderheim?"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:29 am

"We find a rich looking Ibanvaal warrior, and split his byti between us. Seriously, I don't know what happens next. Hopefully the Daas will value our pathfinding skills so much that he won't put us in the front line of the assault."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm

"I am counting on finding a rich Ilbanvaaler."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:38 am

With the remainder of daylight your small warband finds a suitable place to camp for the night, the site is shielded from the prevailing winds in the lee of spur line, the ground is relatively flat and free from rocks and other obstructions.

In the growing darkness your view of the thran diminishes, the glow of quite a few fires can be seen from the market square and open meadows along the stream. A glow eminates from within the thranaal indicating that several fires burn brightly, a few small glows come from the gatehouse indicating that several torches burn to light the area about the gatehouse. Several plumes of smoke rise from within the thranaal - hearth fires burn well warming those inside. While hearth fires burn from within the clanhouses near the thranaal. As night falls so to does any activity about the thran and thranaal. Watches are set and are changed regularly.

It would seem that the Ibanvaalers are changing part of the watch every half watch.

With the camp set you all settle down to rest you notice the woods come alive, the calls of the insects can be heard from about your location. Birds can be seen flitting from tree to tree above your heads and the calls from distant wildlife can be heard through the trees. With the fading light the warriors search their packs for food, finding some dried meat and fruit you make the best of a meagre meal.

With no fire lit the night air is chill and the worst of the gale force wind blows harmlessly past. With Nolomar rising in the eastern sky you prepare your sleeping gear The watch is split between the three warriors. Nolomar struggles to shine through the layer of clouds below, visibility through the woods is good allowing reasonable vision out to about twenty feet.

Apart from the wind blowing through the trees and the wildlife moving about the woods there is little activity about your small campsite.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 15 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum