18 Saraju 720

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:27 am

The warband sleeps soundly through the night only waking momentarily at the sound of a distant noise and with no other threat detected you return back to your slumber.

Your warband and the other boarders in your clanhouse are woken before sunrise the following morning. The best look at the person that woke you is their back as they move about the darkened clanhouse going from person to person ensuring all are awake, before making his way to the door and leaving just as quickly as he entered.

The widow Haal soon emerges from her bedroom wrapped in gown and shawl as she quickly moves about preparing a meal for you. Her hair is unkept and her face drawn in the dim light of the clanhouse hall. Soon lamps are lit and the clanhouse hall is bathed in enough light for you pack your sleeping gear and tend your morning routines.

While packing the widow Haal informs everyone in a whispered voice "I shall put oats on the boil for you this morn if that will suffice for breaking your fast?"
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 am

"My thanks Mistress Haal. A hot meal is welcome considering what this day will probably bring. I suspect that not everyone in this hall will enjoy another breakfast." Bjarni is still gloomy, his sleep not having helped his mood at all.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Algared also thanks their host. He ensures all his belongings are packed. When the meal is ready he eats the offered meal.

(using the iPod so deliberately short... For some reason I have not received any notifications of new posts. Typically when I stop checking the forum daily because we were not adding posts that is the time when posts are added and I don't recieve the notification.... Such is life. And my apologies for any delays.)
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Svardkell will give his thanks to the hosts and will transfer all his gear into his backpack so that it is more portable. He doesn't like leaving his sea chest behind but it will have to do for now.
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Barak too gets ready to depart. He is in no hurry though since they will be the last to leave the thran. He therefore checks that all his arrows are true, his bow is oiled, his bowstring is waxed, and that his spear, sword and, most importantly, his hunting knife are sharp.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42 am

With the morning meal finished your eating utensils cleaned and packed, you put the finishing touches to your packing. With daylight starting to appear on the eastern horizon you make ready to leave the clanhouse. The widow Haal bids each of you farewell, offering each of you a hug and an pray for safe passage back to Ygesdram. Her children likewise each bid you farewell before you exit the clanhouse.

Entering the thranaal the morning is already hot for this time of day, the wind blows steady from the south and a morning fog hangs low about the thran. The dawn sky is clear of clouds and in the western sky the last of the evenings stars are disappearing from view as the eastern sky continues to lighten. All about the thran movements abounds, families members bid farewell to friends and family as they make ready to head west, meanwhile other families are preparing to leave behind all they have known to make this move. All about you tears fall as farewells are made before heading out of the thranaal to gather with other refugees and warriors to make the journey west to Ygesdram.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm

"Well Algared what are our orders for the day?" asks Barak "Do we need to collect rations before we go, or are we eating with the army? Has Thaldris got any reports of where the enemy are positioned? As rearguard it would be useful to know what we face. Lastly, what are our tactics if we get caught out in the open by the mounted warriors who wiped out the Ravens? I can run fast, but I am not sure I can out run a horse."

Turning to the heavily loaded Svardkell he asks "Are you seriously planning to carry two-men's gear back to Ygresdram?"

Assuming, they have nothing specific to do, Barak will find a comfortable place to sit and watch the host prepare and march out.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm

"It seems that way my friend. Don't worry I have the fortitude of two men as well."
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 pm

"Well Barak as for our orders, "We are to be amongst the rear guard. If our small band is outrun by horsemen in the open then I doubt we could outrun them, and I imganie it will depend on whether we can stand to allow those unarmed to escae. I think we would be best to try move from cover to cover whilst ensuring we cover the tail of the march whatever we do our march our will be determined by the the slowest of the refugees or wounded. You have the best knowledge amongst us of outdoors movement and hunting whilst Bryn and Svardkell have the training of huscarls. What do you suggest? For more direct orders for the return we will need to seek out Thaldirs."

[ooc as for rations how many days supplies do we have remaining from those we were first issued and supplimented.]
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 am

"Thanks Algared, the thought of horsemen catching us in the open has cheered me up no end."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 am

As Nolomar begins its ascent into the eastern sky the light that it brings begins to lighten your surroundings. You notice that the refugees are beginning to assemble in the meadow to the south of the thranaal. There are several hundred warriors gathered about in addition there are approximately one hundred local non combatants that are preparing to leave.

All are burdened by whatever wealth they are able to carry themselves.

From the gatehouse you see a group of Daas scouts break away from the main body and head west into the trees. While waiting there is still no sign of Thaldirs while Cunate can be clearly seen moving about the meadow chatting with everyone.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:32 pm

"I wonder where Thaldris is" muses Barak, "I thought he would lead the rear guard." ... "Perhaps he went out with an vangard last night."

"Bjarni, if you fear the horsemen, I suggest you don't chuck your spear away. I hear that you can unhorse a charging horseman if you are brave, stand your ground, and manage to skewer him before he can hit you with his sword. Mind you, I don't know what you do about the next one."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:31 pm

"Well I guess I would have to stand my ground because I cannot run as fast as a horse. I think the trick is to not get caught in the open."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 pm

"Yes, I will be happy as long as we're in the trees and broken ground. This waiting is so boring. I just want to get on our way. But it is no use fretting, it will take forever to marshall all those people and get them clear out of the thran."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:38 am

The morning fog has completely gone by the early morning. While you watch the mass of refugees waiting about the meadow word reaches you that some 4,000 Ibanvaalers are about a half a watch away to the west. With the enemy so close the mood about the thran becomes quite fearful as the non combatants continually watch over their shoulders waiting for the enemy to appear.

It seems as if the refugees are about to rout in panic at the reappearance of the Ibanvaal host.

But before this occurs a group of warriors some hundred strong breaks from the crowd and heads towards the trees. Following is the long string of refugees, another group of about 50-60 warriors then mingles in with this mass of humanity. It seems to take forever for the last of the fleeing inhabitants of Abderheim to finally disappear from view amid the trees.

Following along is another group of about one hundred warriors, they bring up the rear of those leaving the thran.

The temperature slowly builds during the morning, the brilliance of the azure sky above is completely clear of clouds. The wind blows steadily from the south and finally with the last of the warriors and the inhabitants finally gone from the thran it is late 2nd watch. Now comes your warbands turn to leave the thran, making your way towards the treeline you leave the thran of Abderheim behind.

Turning to look back once you have gained the safety of the trees you notice the first of the Ibanvaal scouts some dozen of so, entering the thran along the coastal road from the north.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:03 am

As he watches the Ibanvaal vanguard, Barak address Algared in a quite voice: "Well Algared, no advice from our leaders on what our role should be then? I am still puzzled by where Thaldris has gone." he pauses gathering his thoughts and then continues "So what should should we do about those scouts? We can stay here and watch them, and deter them with our bows when they get too close. That should give the host more of a chance to get away. However, it will give away the path that Cunate has taken. Having said that you'd have to be blind to miss all the trampled ground leading this way and I am sure the villagers will be quick to tell all that they know. Alternatively, we can follow along close behind the host and make good our escape, but so doing we will neither know what the Ibanvaal scouts are up to or slow down their progress."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 am

"Even a seaman like I am can tell that a horde has passed this way," Bjarni says pointing with his spear along the path the refugees have taken. "Those scouts would have to be blind to miss the route Cuunate has taken."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 am

"All of what you say is true Barak." Algared says, then turning to Bjarni chuckles lightly, "But we are amongst the trees, so we dont have to worry about being caught in the open by horsemen." Algared pauses momentarily then returns to Barak's questions. Well our job as part of the rear guard is to ensure we keep them as far away as possible from our host. So I think watching from cover and deterring them from following is the best course of action. As for whether or not that will give away the hosts passage I think not. I've seen you track a a single quarry, and as you said, the path of several hundreds wont be hard for those scouts to pick up, but I know the longer we delay their pursuit is time we can give the host will aid heavily laden regugees which includes women and children not used to marching.... and like you I am concerned that we neither saw Thaldirs or the Daas, though it is likely we merely missed them in the mass of people.

Barak we want to ensure that prevent any immediate pursuit from their scouts, likewise we dont want to remain so long as to precipitate our capture. I imagine finding the Thran is surrendering the vangaurd will not follow us but remain to secure the thran especially as those dozen will be out numbered until their main force arrives... I think ideally we want to try keep about a watch behind our host... but if we need to leave before then so be it."


Last edited by Algared on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 am

"Why don't we wait here and when the scouts approach, jump them."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 am

"You did not see Cunate" responds Barak to Algared. "He was amongst the people all morning, organising the host and talking to the clans."

To Bjarni he says "Personally, I was wondering if Borygg and I can hold them off with our bows if they get close. I don't know how that works with your ambush. Perhaps when they get too close, Algared rushes off with my bow, they chase him and we leap out behind them and attack. That plan sounds like it will fall apart too easily. Slowing them down and then withdrawing will keep us between them and the host."

Whilst waiting for Algared to decide what to do, Barak starts to look around for a good site, with cover to the front, an easy escape to the rear, and a good view of the ground that the scouts must cover.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 am

"Hmmmm. I think your first plan is better, and if they get too close, then I gaff one. But I would be more interested right now in knowing how far behind these scouts the main host is."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:41 am

GM wrote:... word reaches you that some 4,000 Ibanvaalers are about a half a watch away to the west.
[OoC: I don't know who is bringing this word, but Barak asks them "To the west? You mean they are on the other side of the river?" I know I am struggling to remember the geography of this area, but I thought the west was 'friendly' territory.]

Post by GM Yes the immediate west is across the river but more generally to the west lies the thrans of Jeinmark and Ygesdram. Remembering that not all are as adept at knowing accurate directions like you Wink
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 am

Barak Daas wrote:"You did not see Cunate" responds Barak to Algared. "He was amongst the people all morning, organising the host and talking to the clans."

"So he was, I suppose I was meaning I didnt see which band he was with when they departed, I suppose it was the first." To Bjarni Algared adds, "No Bjarni, as much as an ambush would be nice, the scouts out number us two to one. Unless Barak can find a nice position where such would work, should they advance. We will need to follow Barak's plan. We will harry them with our bows and sling if they get too close to our position. What we need Barak is a position from which we have a view of the foe and an easy escape route. Bryndis, Bjarni and Svardkell, should these scouts venture too close then your skill at arms, heavier armor and weapons will need to make them rue the day."

[OOC: the 4000 or so coming from the west are those who recently forced the Storzer to withdrew and were returning to resume the seige... Effectively meaning Abderhiem was behind enemy lines.]


Last edited by Algared on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:16 am

"Four thousand is a lot of men. If they fall on Ydesgram, how much chance do you think we would have? Seriously, how many men does the Daas have? "
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 am

"I have not counted the men that the Daas has. It is more men the number of mallard in a skein and less than the number in a flock of migrating geese. Several hundred or so. He can also count on the Skorzar's men, though I do not know how many of them are left. Two Jarldoms do not have the men to compete with the resources of one of the largest kingdoms in Ivinia. If the Manglana kingdom host as a whole does not join us, then all we do is delay the Dagen by a few tendays or months."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum