18 Saraju 720

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm

"I would be all for an ambush. I can even take one of them alive if you need him so."
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:16 pm

As you watch the scouts enter the thran and discuss your options all the while looking about you for ground that is defensable. The scouts enter the thran and slowly and cautiously move through the market square, the begin to spread out further and halt when approached by one of the locals.

They appear to talk for some time as you continue to discuss your options. When two of the scouts break from the main body and head north back along the river road in the direction they have come from.

The other scouts do not seem interested in a pursuit of you or your companions. They seem content for now to move about the market square, the surrounding buildings and those few clanhouses near the thranaal itself....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 pm

"Now you watch. Those yokels will be pointing us out sooner rather than later. I told you Cunate should have fired this thran"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 pm

"Maybe we should get back down there and eliminate those two scouts before they can gather anymore info?"
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:35 am

"They are on the other side of the thran to us. We'd either have to circuit around the whole of the outside of the cleared land, by which time they'll be gone, or we have to march through the middle and likely be engaged by those in the thran. Anyway they are likely to be just reporting back to the Dagen that the thran has been taken without opposition. He will then have to decide whether to just occupy the thran, or whether to give chase. My vote, if those scouts are not going to close with us, is that we hurry on after the Daas host. There is no need to look for trouble, we're going to get plenty soon enough."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm

"Aye, tis the truth of it. Sometimes the battle in my blood tries to force my hand into action when it should be my mind or my feet that answer the call."
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 pm

"Well what are we waiting for then? Lets away and be done with this place."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:15 am

"Aye, our task is to ensure that we are not followed, so since it appears at present they do not intend to follow lets us follow the Host."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 am

Time: End 2nd watch - End 3rd watch

Leaving the thran of Abderheim behind your warband pushes further into the trees following the trail made by those fleeing the thran. The ground is relatively even and is dotted with rocks and stones sparesly about your surroundings. Patches of grass rise to about knee height concealing these rocks until you are right upon them.

The trees mainly the broad leaf types inhabit this area with a few needle leat varieties interspersed between, familiarity has told you this will change the further you push up into the hills and mountains.

The only sounds you hear are your own footfalls as they land upon the ground beneath you, crushing the grass, dead leaves and striking upon the rocks and stones that abound these parts. Occasionaly you hear a footstep or two from one of your companions nearby as they strike a stick or leaf litter beneath their feet.

Several hundred yards into the trees and with the thran no gone from view the trail of the refugees has thinned down to nothing more than a single track with the occasional deviation made by individuals to avoid hidden obstacles.

Your warband continues to push further upwards into the hills following the trail made by the others. Their path heads westward towards Ygesdram. At first the shade provided by the trees when you first entered the woods was a relief from the warming weather but with Nolomar now visible through the trees the heat becomes stifling and soon rivulets of sweat begin to roll off everyone. On the odd occasion a droplet of sweat rolls into one of your eyes causing it to sting for few moments as the salty water irritates the eye.

It is not long before your clothes are stained by sweat marks as deep V patterns are made upon your chests and dark patterns emerge under your arms as the sweat flows freely from you. Each of you drinks deeply from their waterskins. Coming upon a small stream running from the mountains to the river you take the time to stop, refill your waterskins and take some rest.

Climbing ever upward the going becomes increasing difficult as the rocks and stones not only become increasingly more prevelant but are also larger than their cousins further down the slope. The going continues to be a series of climbs and descents as you traverse re-entrant after re-entrant some are shallow and easily traversed while most are more severe ascents and descents with a few being quite difficult to traverse with some of the warband requiring assistance to climb and descend the steep banks.

The sky remains clear and blue with the only respite from Nolomar being the shade provided by the trees. What sunlight that can penetrate the tree canopy above it bites upon you causing you to warm up as you search out more shade. However, these same trees also prevent the wind from penetrating through to provide any cooling for you.

Your warband now moves more silently as the ground beneath your feet consists more of dead pine needles than before with far more rocks and stones to walk upon as well. Rarely does a footstep carry any noise to another of your companions. This has also made following the trail made by those heading west harder to follow.

With Nolomar now high in the sky your warband has travelled perhaps a league or so....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 pm

On the trek, Barak will scrutinize Algared and Svardkell. Are they able to cope with the walk? He knows Algared is normally more than able to cope, but he has been injured recently. He is more concerned about Svardkell and his double load of gear...

Post by GM The going is slow but judging by the tracks left behind by those fleeing Abderheim you are holding a steady pace without closing or increasing your distance from the main body. Algared and Svardkell both seem to be handling the conditions for now.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 am

Post by GM wrote:... you are holding a steady pace without closing or increasing your distance from the main body.
"Boy, is this weather hot. I am sweating buckets. I can't believe that we are not closing on the host. They surely can't move as fast as we, they've got women and children, and more baggage etc. Alagared, are you sure we are still following there trail and we havn't got lost?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:43 am

Time: Beginning 4th watch - Nearing the End 4th watch

After resting Barak moves forward and it does not take him long to confirm that they are indeed on course, following the trail left by the refugees. The wound to Algared's shoulder is causing him some discomfort while the load that Svardkell is carrying weighs him down, even Bryndis is not able to move quickly as the weight she carries slows her down.

Making ready your warband continues its march towards the west. The ground you march over is much the same as you have been marching over already.

The weather continues to remain hot, the sky clear but the wind drops to nothing more than a light breeze which only increases the discomfort of the warband.

Towards the end of the 4th watch you arrive at the small trail leading to the tin mine further in the hills. Nearing the trail Algared's eye is caught by something unusual moving towards this distraction it quickly becomes apparent that he is approaching the site of a battle....
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 am

Algared signals a stop in order that they may ivestigate the battle..

(who was the battle between, does it aappear the battle resulted from an attempt to block the retreat? How long ago does it seem the battle was fought?)

Post by GM You have no idea as yet you have only just come across the first signs that a battle has taken place here
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 am

When Algared indicates that there has been a battle, Barak moves forward cautiously, sheaving his bow and readying his spear and shield. As he advances he scans for any sign of movement, alert for any signs of ambush. He picks his way gingerly avoiding stepping on anything and won't examine anything in detail until he has a good general idea of about the area as a while.

These are the questions that Barak is asking himself:
Post by GM I am happy to answer these questions.

  1. How does he know there was a battle?
    Edited by GM The first signs that he is able to read are the arrows impaled into nearby trees and the several shafts that lay about the ground
  2. What can he smell (smoke, blood, rotting meat) and hear (the wind in the hears, the murmers of the wounded)?
    Edit by GM Nearing the bodies the smell of blood assails the nose but otherwise is not able to smell anything out of the ordinary
  3. Was it recent (like today) or a long time ago?
    Edit by GM Given that you are retracing your steps following the path you made east, these bodies were not here on your passage east
  4. How big does it look to be? A small skirmish or a full scale battle?
    Edit by GM A large skirmish
  5. Is it in the open or amongst trees?
    Edit by GM The battlefield centres on the trail but extends into the trees on both sides of the trail
  6. Are there bodies or discarded weapons etc?
    Edit by GM Answered
  7. If there are bodies, are they recent corpses or long rotten skeletons?
    Edit by GM It is hard to tell how long the bodies have been laying there accurately but they have not yet been ravaged by scavengers so they are recently killed
  8. If recent - i..e today - are any still alive?
    Edit by GM None are still alive.
  9. Are they all human? Are there any horses?
    Edit by GM All are human and there are no horses
  10. Are they all men, or are there any women and children?
    Edit by GM They are all men, there are no women or children amongst the casualties
  11. Does he recognize anyone?
    Edit by GM There are some familiar faces amongst the slain, but most are unknown to your warband
  12. If there are no bodies are their signs of pyres or burial mounds?
    Edit by GM No
  13. Is there any battle equipment left - shields, spears, knives, axes, arrows etc?
    Edit by GM About a dozen arrows can be seen scattered about the area, but there is no sign of any other discarded equipment
  14. Are there personal belongings or have them been taken?
    Edit by GM No personal belongings apart from the clothes the dead are laying in
  15. Can he tell if they are warriors, clansmen, tribal hunters, whatever?
    Edit by GM All are warrior age and none seem to be from the local tribes
  16. Is there any significant baggage?
    Edit by GM No
Barak is open to this being the Daas host being ambushed, the remains of the Black Ravens, or a more ancient battle.]

Edit by GM Svardkell does not recognise any of the dead and from the look of the battlefield it looks as though the Daas host was attacked along the only clear reference point along their journey home


Last edited by Barak Daas on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Barak is quiet for a moment watching the others moving amongst the battle scene. Eventually he says "This is not good. Our host was not defeated but there are many dead. I can see no one alive, it looks like the wounded were either carried off or killed. I don't think there is anything we can do here and I don't like staying in this place. Algared, lets move on. We can see if we can catch up with the Dasslunders, it may be they are being harried in the rear by the Ibanvaal and we can do something to help."


Last edited by Barak Daas on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 pm

A further search of the area finds several discarded bloody bandages near a trail that leads westward towards Ygesdram, it would seem that those heading west had time to treat their wounded before continuing on. While another series of tracks head north west back down along the line of the trail from the tin mine. Several of the tracks are made by blood, indicating that at least some of those that left were wounded.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm

"Nor I Barak." Algared says. "It looks as though a band force of Ibanvaal tried to block the path. The fact that the dead are laid out and we can tell that those headed to Ygesdram had time to treat their wounds hopefully means they were victorious, but the cost was high. You are right Barak we cannot stay here and should try try to hasten after the host. Though it will likely be drawing time to seek a site to camp tonight. Given it is the end of the fourth watch. (late afternoon if I understand correctly).

[OOC: appolgies in advance for any iPod-ese that occurs, I'll edit the post desktop computer when I get the chance if needed.]
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 am

"Lead on then Algared. I will take the rear again."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Having gathered what information they can from the scene of battle, Algared leads the band off once more towards Ygesdram.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:43 am

Time: Mid 5th watch

The flies buzz about the bodies of the dead as you wander the battlefield searching for clues. Borygg and Barak are able to salvage a few arrows from the scene to add to their quivers.

You leave the scene of the battle behind you as you continue your travels to the west. Nolomar continues to beat down, as rivulets of sweat pours from you tracing an irritating path down your forehead, along your nose and into your eyes or to drip from your the tip of your nose or continue to run down your face, neck to be absorbed by your tunic.

Shadows begin to get longer as Nolomar sets in the western sky, through the trees the evening sky is painted with a myriad of hues of blue, crimson, pink and yellow.

Algared calls a halt to the march for the day allowing about a quarter watch of daylight to search for and prepare a campsite. Barak searches the trail ahead and seems confident that the host is no more than a quarter watch ahead perhaps a little more. Then turning his hand to finding a campsite, Barak finds a suitable spot just in the lee of re-entrant protected from the wind and hidden from the east and west and only clearly visible to the south from uphill. Through the trees Barak casts a watchful eye to sky, cursing the trees for masking his view he concludes that the night should be clear of rain and remain quite warm. Bjarni also having scanned the sky about him nods his head in agreement.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

"Tomorrow we must try and catch up with the host, even if it means marching on further in to the dark. We don't want there to be such a great gap between them and us. As has been shown they can be engaged in a battle and we're too far behind to help. I am surprised that we didn't catch up today."

"I will take the first watch tonight. I will wake Svardkell, and he'll wake Algared. Brydis and Borygg can sleep tonight, and be on watch tomorrow night. Wake us at first light Algared, so we can be on our way by dawn. An early start will do us all good."

"Since it is dry and warm we won't need a fire overnight. But keep an eye open for wolves who may still be on the prowl for a while yet."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:35 pm

"I think it likely that those scouts we saw run back to report carried the news. The attack was along the only logical place where the host would have to pass. An easy attempt to block the path by a force of scouts not slowed down by women children and luggage.Though it would be good to try stay half a watch closer.... but IF we wish to close the gap we'd be better off starting at first light rather than wandering along in the dark. You may feel confident enough not to trip up or walk off a cliff but you are the only one in our band with real woodmans skill.

Our inital orders were to blaze the trail initally and guard the rear on the return trip.. in the same position. Barak do you recall anyother trails along the way where a possible ambush could be set up? Now I imagine Cunate has his scouts out front finding such anyway... but if there are then they would be where the next band may try to pick up the trail of the host... and that would be where we want to ensure they cannot slip in behind the host."

Once the Campsite is selected, Algared lowers his gear and ginerly checks his shoulder, after the exertions of the day Algared is sure the wound will need washing and a clean dressing.

"With six of us we can afford to have two on watch at least, you think two watches or three... advantage of three is we will get a little more rest. but only have two guards. While two watches we can have half resting and half guarding. Given the closeness of foes, I'm partail to a two watches, but after today and the pace set by the host and the effort it took to stay as close as we are I'm sure we could all use the rest... I know I could."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 pm

"I will take the late watch with whoever else wants to gaze at the stars, so wake me when it it my turn." Bjarni will make himself as comfortable as possible and try to sleep now.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 am

Time: Mid 4th watch - End 6th watch

The camp is set up and with no firewood needed everyone quickly sets themselves up, resting and preparing a cold meal. A nearby stream allows the warband to refill their waterskins. Despite Nolomar nearing the western horizon the day remains quite hot, the tree tops indicate a steady wind still blows from the south but it fails to penetrate the wooded hills at your level.

You sit in a small circle near each other and chat quietly amongst yourselves, every now and then laughter bursts forth from your group as you recall the events of the day. There is a comfort as each of you relax in the long shadows of the trees, Algared begins to feel the ache in his shoulder and Bjarni bemoans another long journey on foot through the trees. It seems as if the big man is slowly getting the hang of moving about this world with the use of a boat. Bjarni's feet feel othewise though and they cause him some discomfort as the warrior struggles with the load he carries over the ground he currently finds himself. Svardkell has also been slow carrying the equipment of two men but once the load is lowered to the ground he finds himself no worse for wear.

Searching through backpacks each warrior pulls forth some of their rations and begins to eat. "We should be home by high Nolomar" says Barak to noone in particular while you sit about eating.

With Nolomar now hidden behind the western horizon and the skies colourful hues turning the deeper blues and greys of a night sky and with the meal eaten the warband turn their attentions to find a comfortable place to rest. It seems Barak is the first to find comfort obviously years of experience have given him a keen eye while others like Algared are slower to find a comfortable spot and Bjarni, still finds himself removing an inconvienant rock long after laying down.

With the watch set, the other warriors soon find themselves drifting off to sleep.

Yael soon begins its ascent into the night sky, nearly a full circle only a feint sliver is hidden from view, casting an eerie light amid the trees. The sounds of the woods betray the otherwise absence of any living thing. Insects call and off into the darkness other creatures of the night begin their search for food.

The warband sleeps fitfully as each wakes when their ears detect a sound to cause alarm but with no threat following the sound the warriors soon return to their slumber.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:23 pm

GM wrote:"We should be home by high Nolomar" says Barak to noone in particular while you sit about eating.
OoC: Jonathan is not sure he understand's Barak's wise words ;-) When is high Nolomar? Is that mid-day tomorrow?

Post by GM You are correct
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 18 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum