1 Nolus 720

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 am

From early in the first watch the crew are awoken with the boom of thunder and flash of lightening. Following that the first patter of rain can be heard falling upon the canvas shelter. The weather is not as severe as it was during the earlier storm, the wind blows steady shifting from the north east to the south east then from the south later in the watch finally blowing from the north east again towards the end of the watch.

The storm builds during the hours of the first watch finally abating towards the end of the watch. The 'Kestrel' survives the storm undamaged. By the end of the first watch Nolomar has begun its ascent into the eastern sky, highlighting the horizon with a blaze of reds, oranges and yellows. In the pre-dawn light it would appear as if the Daas fleet has survived the storms during the night largely intact. No vessel you can see has suffered any visible signs of damage.

The morning looks to remain warm with perhaps a few showers during the day.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 am

"Looks like Sarajin wanted to give us a bit of a send off lads. Get some food in you and we leave in the hour. Pilot, let us talk." Bjarni goes aft to confer with the pilot.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 am

The pilot having made himself ready nods his head at your call and moves towards the stern of the boat with you...
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 am

Once the Kestrel gets underway Bjarni will address the crew.

"Lord Cunate has told me that the Stahler fleet has left Pelyn and is making it's way down here. But whether it comes as friend or foe, he does not know. Our job is to find that fleet and determine if they are coming to help repel the invaders, or to finish us off. Lord Cunate says that this ship is not well known, but I don't want to risk anyone recognising us. I want us looking like a bunch of sell-swords to the casual observer."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:11 am

With the sail unfurled and the 'Kestrel' making headway, the pilot issues instructions to the helmsman to steer the boat clear of underwater hazards and the surrounding fleet lying at anchor.

The crew listen to Bjarni fills them in on their mission...

With the boat now under sail it becomes apparent why Cunate has such faith in this boat. She rides well in the water and seems to glide through the water where other boats would plow through the slight swell.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 pm

"Ah I am very impressed. She runs smooth upon the waves."
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:11 pm

"It would be hard for us to look more like a bunch of sell swords" mutters Barak under his breath. Since it appears that there is no rowing to be done, Barak sits back and watches the world sail by.


Last edited by Barak Daas on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 pm

"Take your rest lads - at the first sign of other ships it is to oars."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:27 am

With the Daas fleet behind you, the 'Kestrel' makes good headway downriver depite the south easterly wind blowing. The Pilot steers the boat close to the left bank of the Leim River, the tiller tucked under his arm as he scans the river ahead. Into the second watch you have passed several tiny thrans consisting of no more than half a dozen clan houses.

The morning continues to warm up despite the thick layer of clouds that shield Nolomar from your view. The wind now gusts from the south east but builds during the morning to a steady breeze. On several occasions the rain falls but the crew take shelter from the inclimate weather under the canvas tentage already erected.

On either bank you pass the thrans of Onla and Skeineza. The war looks to have left them untouched, their fishing fleets have put to sea while the docks remain a hive of activity with boats tied up alongside loading and unloading their cargoes. The activities of what you to be all to familiar with your warband, now almost non existant in the thran of Ygesdram.

Rain begins to fall as you pass the large thran of Myna the seat of clan Daas and the main thran of Daaslund. Its pallisade can be seen from well upriver, a stone tower is easily seen above the woods to the thrans south dominating the view along the river. Nearing the thran thin wisps of smoke become visible as they rise from clanhouses and cook houses.

Like the previous thrans you have passed, Myna stands untouched by the war. The smell of a nearby tannery assaults your noses, the tannery becomes visible to the south of the thran. As you sail by the thrans docks are alive with activity, along with the nearby market square. It appears that the thrans feeling of invulerability is being threatened as it seems the thran is in the process of being fortified, the ditch surrounding the pallisade is being dug deeper and stakes look to be positioned about the pallisade.

It would seem that Balis Daas expects the war to arrive soon, despite his continual appeals for diplomacy.

On the other bank of the river opposite Myna, stands the smaller thran of Ravnik. Unlike the thran of Myna this thran appears to have made no preparations for the coming invasion. The talk on the boat would seem to indicate that the crew expect them to flee their thran and seek shelter in Myna when the attack finally comes. It would seem that the men of Ygesdram have bought good time for the rest of Daaslund to prepare for the Ibanvaal invasion.

With the 'Kestrel' cutting its way north through the water the thrans of Myna and Ravnik are soon left behind and the fields, meadows and pastures dot the riverbank on either side. Fields are green with crops and a small group of children can be seen chasing a flock of birds away from the crops while several men move among the crops checking their progress. On a small fallow fields near the river a shepherd grazes his flock of some 60 newly shawn sheep while some drink from the river.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 am

The rain falls intermittantly during the morning, the wind shifts from the north east to the north and back again. The cloud cover obscures Nolomar above with the thick grey clouds hiding the sky above.

By mid morning the thran of Myna is left behind, there has been no sight of any other boats upon the water but as your boat approaches the thran of Leborg, it small wharf can be seen jutting into the river another vessel (what appears to be about a 36' Nivik) is sighted sailing towards the 'Kestrel', it is several hundred yards distant.

The vessel has enough sail to maintain steerage as it makes its way south along the river. The vessel has no markings to signify her owner flying.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 am

"Out up the peace shield {OoC - or whatever is flown to indicate non-hostile intent}", Bjarni will order. Pull towards them and bring them into hailing distance."

avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 am

The pilot nods his head and leans on the tiller pushing the 'Kestrel' closer to the Nivik. The Nivik pulls in some sail as your warboat approaches. Nearing the Nivik you can see the crew gathering towards the bow of their boat.

The pilot drags the tiller back towards himself straightening the course of the boat "I cannot take her any closer to the shore here, there are hidden shoals about that have claimed more than one boat"

Slowly the boats close the distance until you are in hailing distance...
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Bjarni will cup his hands and call out "Ahoy the nivik. What news from down the fjord?" To the 1st mate he will say "keep us backing water to keep us abreast of them"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am

I will let the first mate reply herself...

The Nivik responds "Ahoy there warboat" a man with a salt crusted beard replies the gunwhale hides most of his body but from can be seen he wears a blue salt crusted tunic. He speaks Ivinian but his dialect is strange and not known to you. The others of his crew gather about him, a lone figure crews the tiller at the stern of the boat.

"We are the trader, 'Nehu's Revenge' out of Horko" he pauses turns to his crew and says something to them as he waves his hand about, the crew spring into action carrying out his orders. "How goes the war?" he asks
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon May 20, 2013 4:29 am

"Well enough, for Ilbanvaal. They make gains in Daaslund and Storzarlund. Not good for swords from Orbaal," Bjarni taps his chest by way of indication of whom he is speaking. "What of the rumours of the Stahler bringing his fleet to fight the invaders? Have you heard that he is hiring?"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 am

The other man nods his head "Thought your accent strange for these parts!" he responds. "There is a fleet gathering in Pelyn, my kinsman among them. The Stahlers have called their swords, Taaren's and Balin's have answered and sit at anchor." the man pauses before continuing "It seems the Idain's and Tejaal have appeared to join the Ibanvaalers, the other clans have still to respond although the Rald's seem unlikely given their current skirmishers with the pirates from Rogna"

"We plan on putting in at Myna, are we likely to meet any Ibanvaal warboat before we arrive?" the man calls back

avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon May 20, 2013 5:22 am

"Aye, a long way from home. As far as Ilbanvaal ships - I am not aware of any getting past Ygesdram. If the King's fleet is still at anchor in Pelyn we may find work there. Smooth seas, friend," Bjarni waves them off.

"Well that is a bit of gristle to chew on. Who are these Idains and Tejaals he talked about?" Bjarni will ask his comrades.
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 am

"Aye and fair winds to you" the man calls as he orders his crew to work, quickly sail is added as the nivik cuts towards Myna.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 am

"And I suspect he is on the same mission we are."
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 am

The 'Kestrel' adds a little sail and continues its movement north...
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 am

By late afternoon the 'Kestrel' has sailed well past Myna and is perhaps a few leagues from Vulenheim when the watch spot a small cluster of fishing boats several hundred yards ahead, they are nestled in a small cove on the eastern bank of the Leim River. Nearing the vessels you can not more than half a dozen fisherman working 3 small craft.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Bjarni suspects that these fishermen will know every ship on the fjord and will probably see through any subterfuge. We will steer close and hail the fishing boats.

"Ahoy there, what news from down the fjord?"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 56
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  GM on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:11 am

The pilot guides your boat cautiously towards the fishing boats. As you near their vessels they stop casting their nets and watch you approach.

The crew look at each for a moment before one of the men replies "I have heard that the King intends to repel the Ibanvaal invaders, it would seem that several clans have not answered his call to arms and the King is now torn between defeating the Ibanvaalers and exacting revenge against these clans. I hope he intends to deal with the Ibanvaalers first and what news from up the fjord?"
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm

"A spot of good news perhaps?" Svardkell muses quietly. The King would fight the Ibanvaalers and not the Storzar or the Daas?
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 am

"Depends whether the King see the Daas as having answered his call, or not."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1 Nolus 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum