From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

26 Nuzyael 720

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

26 Nuzyael 720 Empty 26 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:52 am

The warband awake slowly, rising from their blankets which they had wrapped themselves in tightly during the night because of the cold weather, they wipe the sleep from their eyes. A quick look out the window shows that the day is no better, the temperature is cold and a gustily wind blows in from the south west.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

26 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 26 Nuzyael 720

Post  Barak Daas Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:44 am

Over breakfast Barak remarks "It will be interesting to see what the Daas decides to do. With the enemy encamped over the river and all the boats of thier side he is in a bit of a pickle. If he marches off towards Froyaheim they will simply cross over take back this thran and the others, and slaughter our rear guard. If he leaves a force here big enough to stop that, he won't have enough men left to make a difference at Froyaheim. I wonder if there is a ford or something he can use to outflank them. But it will be a long walk - all the way to where we started and back down again. I think he'll be doing some scouting in force - maybe we'll get to do some. However, I don't fancy an assault across the river into the spears of their waiting army."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:20 pm

Maybe a bit of a naive question, but just wondering... can we burn their boats? Fire arrows? Throw some flamable oil and fire?

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:33 pm

"Good questions." says Barak "We could make fire arrows, but we'd need to find things like dry hay, cloth and tallow. I don't know how many of our archers have ever used them before. There is a gusty wind which will effect accuracy - I suspect only a few of our bowmen are really that skilled - but at least a boat is a big target. The river is wide and the range is long. It is cold and there is probably a dew on the boats which won't help their flamability either. Not impossible... but not nice. Oh yeah, they will probably have their archers firing back. As for throwing inflamable oil, did you bring any? I am plum out of it." Barak pauses, then "I suspect that we'd have more chance of getting Sarajin to whistle up a wind to sink the boats, or for Algarad to use his mind tricks to summon river demons to rip them asunder or astral fire to burn them to the keel. What say you Algarad, can you do it?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Kugald scratches his head.

"Ummm...Froyaheim is on the same side of the river as Froyby. Did someone tell us that they had crossed the river? I thought that they had marched down the east side of the Froya River from Froyby to Froyaheim."

"If I was the Daas, I wouldn't leave anyone behind. As Barak says, a small force would be useless, and a large enough force would deplete the main attacking body."

"I expect we will all march north today."

TTYL

- Kerry

Ref: https://menglana.rpg-board.net/out-of-character-player-chat-f12/a-map-anyone-t168.htm
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:03 pm

And I'm assuming Vidar doesn't see any sails on these vessels, as they are inland boats. ie, oars only, yes?

Like all Ivinian vessels the mast can be shipped or unshipped. Currently you can see both across the river, although there are no sails unfurled. All Ivinian vessels can be powered by oars and by sail.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 am

After the morning meal a man in his late twenties by the name of Ulauf arrives at the door to the clanhouse you occupy. "Kugald!" he calls from the doorway "the Jarl wishes to 'requests' your attendance in his hall, if you will" he adds. The tone indicates that this is not a request and a not at your leisure sort of message.

Once Ulauf has recieved a nod that you have heard and understood the message he departs heading off an some other tasking.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55 am

"Shall we mind the camp while you're away?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:43 am

Responding to Vidar's remark, he says, "Yah, I guess..."

Kugald quickly throws on his good tunic and jogs up the the great hall.

He waits to be introduced. He bows and says, "My Jarl, you summoned me?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:45 am

"Ah Kugald, come sit" Cunate motions for you to join him and Thaldirs at the bench he occupies. The hall is a hive of activity at this time of the morning, warriors are preparing meals while others bring water.

When Kugald has taken the seat offered the Daas props his chin onto his hands and then says "I plan to take rest here for two days, the army is tired after our walk through the moutains and our clashes with the enemy" he pauses for a moment the continues "Kelsi has informed me that his scouts are upto watching the road to the north for a day. Then they will need to be rested too." with a quick glance to Thaldirs the Daas continues " tomorrow I want you to take your warband north about a kilometre from here and watch the road for anyone that approaches. I will see that you are allowed to rest today and take leave to attend to any matters you need, I will see that you have what you need to fulfil your task on the morrow"

Cunate allows his words sink in before adding "is there anything you need?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 am

Upon finishing his morning-meal but before Kugald returns from the summons, Algared excuses himself telling his companions he is going to see if he can procure a physicians kit. A time may come when one of them are in need of being sewn together or even having a wound causterised

He will once more visit whereever Hervold has established the hospital and ask if there is are any the healer feels may benefit from his skills.

He will provide whatever help Hervold feels is appropriate, before returning to the clanhouse with or without the physicians kit.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Kugald listens to the Daas' intentions.

"I appreciate your confidence in my warband. We are honoured to undertake this task."

When Cunate asks if there is anything they need, Kugald thinks for a moment.

"Some preserved food, and the fastest horse you have. We will set ourselves up where we have a good view of the road, but if the enemy comes, we will need means to send a message to the thranhold without delay. Every additional heartbeat's warning we can give you will make a huge difference. An extra 350 heartbeats might make all the difference between victory and defeat."

"Because our group has been at the forefront of the last few attacks, we have a few minor injuries. Algared and I have done what we can to tend to the wounds, but we could use a physician's kit if one can be spared."

He turns to Thadirs. "Sir, you have more experience than I. Is there anything I am forgetting?" He waits politely for his advice, taking it if it is offered.

Kugald bows to the Daas' and nods to Thadirs.

"We will make you proud, milord."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Cunate smiles at Kugald's enthusiam.

"I am told that Froyby still has stores of food, I will have someone gather somethings for you. Mmm, a horse" the Daas nods approvingly "that can be organised, you can collect the beast before you leave on the morrow"

The Daas' expressions changes when you mention the physicians kit. "A healers kit, who among you is the healer? I don't think you could pry Hervold's tools out of his dead hands. I don't think there is anything I can do to help you there" Cunate answers.

Thaldirs smiles "You have a couple of good archers, a woodsmen, a couple of good spearmen" and with a wink he adds "and good leadership. I think you have all you need"

"On the morrow, you can leave just after sunrise, take your warband up the road about a kilometre and keep watch, I want you back here just after dark. I don't want you out in bandit country all alone. I don't think the enemy will march at night, so I do not fear that option."

The Daas with a smile replies "I know you will, my cousin, that is why I picked you!"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:52 pm

"Call me a coward! You claim I hide behind a shield wall!. You say, I insult you and you will not trerat me even if I need it! Well thats fine by me because it is clear you are an enemy of my father and clearly of me! I wouldn't want your clumbsy assed fingers prodding around and your knives cutting into my body with your scaple, since you feel that way about me, you may decide to slip and butcher me." Algared yells at Hervold. "If others did not seem to need you more I would kill you for your insult. You hate my father that is your problem, but you have made an enemy of me this day."

Algared storms off, returning to the clan house he shared with his companions. Leaving his armour, broadsword, weapons and the pouch with the parchments. Then he gahters his gear and leaves. Algared gathers his bags and says, "May that ass be food for the Ibanvaal dogs, I'm through, the Daas can chain me up but I will not fight if some pissant master hiding in the train calls me a coward. I'm done!"
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:39 pm

OOC: Did I miss something? Why is Algared so angry at Hervold?

Kugald returns to the clanhouse and tells the others of the next mission the Daas has set out for them.

"Now is a good time to talk about strategy. My idea is that we will head out about a kilometre or a kilometre and a half and find a good place where we can see the road without being seen. We watch for the enemy. If they send only a few scouts, we wait until the opportune moment and ambush them, trying to take at least one or two alive. If they come in force, we send a messenger on horseback and the rest of the party falls back and melts into the woods. Then, they make their way back to the thranhold the best they can."

"So, what do you think?"

"Can anyone besides me ride a horse?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:47 pm

@Kerry: "Sounds like a plan. And no, I ain't no good riding on stew-meat."

@Algared: "You seem quite vexxed, Algared. Where are you off to in such a state? Did someone assault you?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:11 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:"So, what do you think?

"I think you should go after Algarad, calm him down, and bring him back. Then talk about strategy."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Kugald agrees with Barak. He jumps up and heads out after Algared, jogging after him to catch up.

"Whoa, whoa cousin. What is going on here? Who has offended you so that you would leave your band of brothers with barely a word? Talk to me."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:Kugald agrees with Barak. He jumps up and heads out after Algared, jogging after him to catch up.

"Whoa, whoa cousin. What is going on here? Who has offended you so that you would leave your band of brothers with barely a word? Talk to me."

Algared storms off his stride making pounding out his anger and frustration as Kugald walks desides him. "I went to Master Hervold, to offer what help I could, and even though he had been present previously in his clanhouse where the wounded after the Leim river battle were treated, and even having seen the effects and dangers was keen to bustle me out as the casting failed. He calims I referred to him as a hack and fumble fingered buffoon and has told me never to return even if injured... but since I hide ... hide behind a shield wall I likely won't require his or the other healers' aid. Someone I considered a friend, says I hide like a coward. Clearly he is no friend of mine but rather my enemy. He bans me from attending the healers even if required, well fine, since he says I have no faith in their ability and since he marks himself my foe.. I will oblige I will never seek his aid. He attacks my honour and expects me to merely smile. If so many didn't need his skill to bring them safely from deaths door I would have struck him down..."

Algared slows and smiles more at the adsurdity of him with his pitiful combat skills skills stiking anyone down, "Ok, murdered the air around him, for the insuilt to my name.... Trice this month I have been called to fight, and I have no misconceptions about by inadequate skill at arms. They may laugh all they like at my skills, But no-man in this host has cause to infer I am a coward... to say because I hide behind the shield wall I wont need a healer anyway.

Well fine I am such a ill omen to this mighty host, such a laughing stock that they accuse me of hiding like a coward behind a shield wall."

Algared sighs, "If it were not for the sake of my sister, mother and the fact I am fulfilling my the obligations of my father's house to our lord Cunate, I would do as my feet and heart desire since I am such a ill omened, coward and failure and embarressment to the host I would grant them there wish and leave.... but duty and honour demand I stay for Kylie, Barak, Jurri, Borygg, Vidar and you. "

With that Algared lets Kugald slow his pace and turn hiom around and return to the clanhouse.

"We're leaving? Good, sooner I am away from here the better... but if I am injured and require a healers hand and am unabole to speak hold that ass hervold to his word.. he doesn't touch me period and you do not take me to the healers hall."

Last edited by Algared on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:35 am

When Kugald and Algarad returns Barak says "Algarad look quite distressed. Sit for a while. We might even be able to rustle up some ale. I don't know what the Hervold said to you, but his wits are addled by not having enough sleep, and I am sure he did not mean to call you a coward, you know how he detests all forms of fighting."

"Before you left, Kugald was telling that we are to act as a guard tomorrow, about a fifth of a league to the north of the thran. On the Daas' order - he can't doubt you abilities or courage if he is giving you such an important mission. Anyway, Kugald is planning that we conceal ourselves near the road and watch out for the enemy. If we spot a small party we ambush them and try and capture them for their intelligence of the enemy. If we see a bigger party then we send a messenger back by horse - apparently Kugald has found a fine hack - and the rest of the party disappear back in to the woods and make their won way back to here."

"Well, what do you think of that?"

"For my part I think the plan is good. However, I am not sure if we should split up and disappear in to the woods. Maybe we could stick together and make a fighting withdraw. If we do that we'd need Kugald with us to do the fighting."

"Can you ride a horse Juri?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:18 am

OOC: Anyone can ride a horse, the issue is who can ride a horse in difficult circumstances. HM3 defines Riding skill: "Riding is used to determine the ability to ride/control a steed in combat. The skill may also be used for other difficult mounted maneuvers at GM discretion. The skill is opened at SBx1 [DEX AGL WIL] on the first attempt to mount a steed."

So, any of our PCs can get on the horse and point it back in the direction of the thran. At a walk, they could probably stay on pretty easily. At a gallop, that might be a bit more tricky, depending on how the GM plays it. Now, jumping over things, going up or down steep hills, etc., those would get someone with a ML of SB×1 in trouble.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 am

When Algared returns, Vidar tries to discuss things with Algared.

OOC: Does Algared basically convey the same information to Vidar?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 am

Barak Daas wrote:"Can you ride a horse Juri?"

"If necessary, yes."

(OOC: My understanding is the same as what Brent posted above. Neil, if that's not how you handle riding, please let me know and I'll edit Jurri's answer. He doesn't have Riding skill opened, but I don't think that actually matters so long as he's not in combat or trying something difficult. Even a careful riding pace would be faster than anyone on foot.)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:29 am

You are correct, you will only test riding if you decide to gallop, jump or fight etc from horseback.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 am

As algared enters the clan house once more it is clear he is still fuming. As Barak suggests ale while they discuss their plans their concern as to what Master Hervold could possibly have said to cause such a change as til now Hervold and Algared had certainly appeared to be on friendly terms. Algared explains once his version of events, that Hervold had been willing to accept Algared's offer to use the arcane in an attempt to aid the healing process. he expalins that the attempt failed and as he gathered his strength planning to make another attempt he had asked about a healers kit, explaining that the small band had no kit amongst their number and if they required to treat serious serious or grevious wounds while away from the healers currently had no means to treat the wounds. Algared's visage remains as dark as he continues.

He explains Hervold then became angry claiming Algared insulted him and had twice offered help and twice done nothing. hervold then told Algared told algared to get out and never return even if he required treatment for wounds, which was unlikely to be needed since he hid behind the shield wall.

Barak Daas wrote:When Kugald and Algarad returns Barak says "Algarad look quite distressed. Sit for a while. We might even be able to rustle up some ale. I don't know what the Hervold said to you, but his wits are addled by not having enough sleep, and I am sure he did not mean to call you a coward, you know how he detests all forms of fighting."

He may detest fighting and the useless taking of life, but he marches and fights in the shield wall. Yet I didn't see him amongst our band when we fought off that flank attack.. and fortunately for the wounded I didn't see him among the front line when we fought the last battle, so on what grounds does he have for calling me a coward. Yes by all means riddicule my fighting skill, we all know it is wanting, but not my courage or willingness to fight. Well he says nit to return even if i need healing, fine I count him my enemy and one who was never a friend, if I am wounded and unable to speak or move he doesn't touch me or do you take me to the him.

[OOC: I also believed, as a healer he wouldn't be a combatant, however Neil earlier clarified that within Ivinian culture all free men fight as such there there are no non-combatants within the host.]

Algared looks up meeting your eyes as he says. "I swear, if another calls me a coward I will kill them or die defending my honour."

Barak Daas wrote:"Before you left, Kugald was telling that we are to act as a guard tomorrow, about a fifth of a league to the north of the thran. On the Daas' order - he can't doubt you abilities or courage if he is giving you such an important mission. Anyway, Kugald is planning that we conceal ourselves near the road and watch out for the enemy. If we spot a small party we ambush them and try and capture them for their intelligence of the enemy. If we see a bigger party then we send a messenger back by horse - apparently Kugald has found a fine hack - and the rest of the party disappear back in to the woods and make their won way back to here."

"Well, what do you think of that?"

What do I think? I think the sooner we get away the better, for the sake of the wounded. But if we are guards on picket duty then leave the cooking pots here and take only cold rations, we wont be wanting any fires. And take only what we need. other than that at present I am too agitated to plot and plan, and since experince shows the host ignores my efforts to lead and even the Daas calls my efforts a failure I doubt there is anything I would add that would bring about success doubt there is anything I could add. For my part I will be leaving the spears, I will take a sword and my sling. and wear the quilt and plate armour

Barak Daas wrote:For my part I think the plan is good. However, I am not sure if we should split up and disappear in to the woods. Maybe we could stick together and make a fighting withdraw. If we do that we'd need Kugald with us to do the fighting."

"So Kugald has a horse, if we find a larger force we send a rider back and we fight to the last to give the rider time to return to the Daas. Our number will not swing the balance of the battle, if we split, but together we may buy the rider the time needed to raise the host."

Barak Daas wrote: "Can you ride a horse Juri?"

Hovik rode Kugalds horse, I'm sure any of us could pick it up, but I imagine if there is the likely hood of a chase our best rider would be best to send back.

OOC: Yes Vidar, Algared will relay basically the same information regarding his version of the events.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next