From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

27 Nuzyael 720

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

27 Nuzyael 720 - Page 3 Empty Re: 27 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:29 pm

The big weaponcrafter smiles at Algared. "Thanks cousin, sword it is!" He buckles on his sword and sheath.

Now that his hair is mostly dry, he combs it and his beard until he is looking less like a wildman and more like a young gentleman. When he is done, he smiles, wishing there was one of those looking glasses his mother told him about, because DAMN he was looking sharp! [OOC: And pretty damn vain too!]

After everyone has had a chance to get cleaned up as best they can, Kugald says, "Well, let's get going, we don't want to be late. I want a good spot. Somewhere that I can hear what's going on."

When everyone is assembled, they head across to the great hall.

When they arrive, Kugald smiles broadly at the assembled guests, shaking hands, slapping them on the shoulder and congratulating them on the army's victory at Lihea. When he spots someone who did something especially brave, he hails them as a 'hero'. Meanwhile, he gestures to his band, "Stay with me!" He worms his way forward, as close to the head table as would be proper for a member of clan Daas...and a cousin of the Jarl...and as the 'hero' of Lihea...and as a pushy git upstart weaponscrafter...and then just little further....

He whispers to the group, "Your status can be ranked by your closeness to the Daas. It is a fluid thing, and tonight I intend to show the valhakars and other members of the clan that our status is on the rise!"

If he can, he makes his way all the way up to the Jarl. With one of his trademark broad smiles, he bows the appropriate depth and extends his hand to his older cousin. "Milord, greetings!"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Kugald "tonight I intend to show the valhakars and other members of the clan that our status is on the rise!"

Barak groans quietly at that and whispers to Algarad "That should see us sent to the back to sit on the floor and eat with the dogs."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Jurri smiles at Kugald's pretense, but says nothing to deflate his enthusiasm. Once everyone has arranged themselves, he will take his place and be prepared to perform as the Daas commands.

"What song or tale would please the Daas on this occasion?" he will ask. If given a request, he will make sure to make it a prominent part of whatever performance he gives. Jurri will take his cues from the Daas as to what mood to strike for the gathering, and will adapt if the Daas' mood seems to change.

When he is eating, Jurri will be with his companions unless the Daas instructs him otherwise. If/when performing, he will either be near the Daas or slowly walking around the hall. He will arrange his instruments where they are out of the way until needed, but within sight (preferably on a hook or peg of some sort).

He is dressed in his feast clothes and groomed as well as circumstances permit. He will not be wearing any armor, nor carrying weapons (except his horseshoe).
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Barak Daas wrote:Kugald "tonight I intend to show the valhakars and other members of the clan that our status is on the rise!"

Barak groans quietly at that and whispers to Algarad "That should see us sent to the back to sit on the floor and eat with the dogs."

"I wouldn't say that cousin,' Algared whispers back, "Kugald and I both have been blessed by being close to our older cousin. Fear not."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 am

As as a warband you make your way towards the hall, as you approach you see two huscarls and another six of those that were not invited standing watch near the halls main entrance. The night air is chill and the wind bites through your clothes, there would normally be only a sliver of Yael tonight but it remains hidden by thick dark clouds that hang low in the sky.

Nearing the hall you gather that you are not the first to arrive as you can hear the sounds of a feast coming from within, there is the noise of conversation and bragging with a few attempting to break into song.

As you enter the hall you can see the Daas standing amid other warriors from clan Daas as well as the Valhkar's of some of the more junior clans. A table sites upon a raised podium several chairs are placed behind the table one in particular has a high back, two rows of tables extend from the ends of the high table, benches run along both sides of each set of tables.

As soon as you enter a tankard of ale is placed in your hands.

Following Kugald he leads you slowly towards the Daas and his entourage. Along the way you are greeted by all and sundry, when out of the crowd Thaldirs catches your groups attention. Looking around your group Thaldirs says "Vidar, see that seat up there" as he points to a chair three to the right of where the Daas will sit "that is your seat for the night" looking around the rest of your group he spies Jurri "Ah young skald, you will find a seat along that bench there" pointing to the bench on the right side of the high table "somewhere up close to the high table if you would" Thaldirs says.

Then looking around the rest of you he adds "the rest of you can probably find seats down there somewhere" as he points to the right hand table down towards the bottom edge. "Now go enjoy" and before he leaves your group he adds "and behave yourselves, our guests have not yet arrived"
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Barak finds himself a seat where indicated by Thaldris, grateful to have a seat at all, and sips his ale slowly.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Sitting next to Barak, Algared nudges him as he says "See cousin quiet a step up from sitting on the floor."

During the feast Algared drinks sparingly, though he puts on a face of good cheer and endeavours to ensure he brings no dishonour to his Jarl, Clan, family or self.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 pm

When Thaldirs leaves the group, Kugald continues to head towards the Daas pushing his way through the crowd. Barak eyes off an empty spot on the bench and moves towards his seat with Algared following.

Scanning the hall there must be over two hundred warriors in attendance.

Kugald's determination to meet the Daas pays off when he finally gains a brief audience with him. Pushing his way through the crowd Kugald finally comes face to face with his cousin. His jubilation is short lived, however, as he recieves naught but a brief greeting from his cousin before he is dismissed with a smile and a nod.

As Kugald pushes his way through the crowd away from the Daas, the main door to the hall opens. Standing in the doorway are the Ibanvaal 'guests' a hush falls over the hall as they enter. The tension in the air is thick as the seven men enter the hall. A path clears for them as they make their way into the hall. They are lead towards Cunate Daas where they are greeted formally by the him, they are then lead by him towards their seating, the wyrdsman is seated on the Daas' left while one of the other Ibanvaal men is seated to the left of the wyrdsman, Thaldirs takes the seat on the right of the Daas, Vidar is seated next to Thaldirs.

The other Ibanvaal men are seated along the right hand table in the vicinity of Jurri amid the huscarls and Valhakars and their trusted men of the minor clans.

Then the members of clan Daas take their seats and Kugald, Algared, Borygg and Barak find themselves seated right down the end of the right hand table. More junior members of clan Daas then fill in along the left side of the tables with the remainder of the seats being taken by men from the lesser clans.

The mood is somewhat quiet as the first course is served, a thin broth is served with a loaf of dark rye bread. Jugs of ale begin to appear as men of lesser status from the smaller clans begin to wait upon those with higher standing.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Seeing Vidar seated at the head table, Kugald says to himself, "Lucky bastard." He then follows up with a quick prayer to Sarajin, "No offence intended..."

Kugald sits down with the other members of the band. "Well...not so high as I had hoped, but not so low as Barak feared...it'll do."

He behaves himself, drinking lightly (for once) and not being too boisterous.

"So, I wonder what is on their minds?", as he looks at the seven Ibanvaalese. "And, I wonder what manoeuvre the Daas has planned to outsmart them?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Algared turns ansd speaks in a low voice with his cousin, "I suppose Kugald, it all depends upon how the rest of the campaign goes, it may well be that the Daas show of solidarity is more than the Dagan was let to believe would arrive. I am sure the reverses we have dealt them and the fact we threaten the Beneta pass is certainly a reverse he didn't expect.

And the God's alone know the effect of our Jarl's stand with the Storzer will however have had an effect upon the kingdom. None the less let us enjoy the feast. Here's to greater victories and the bounties of the feild of battle yet to come."

Algared raises his tankard and clinking it with his cousins than sipping the contents.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

With the broth consumed, the conversations keep flowing. It is with a keen interest that the events at the head table are being watched. It is plain for all to see that a conversation is being held between the Daas and the Ibanvaal wyrdsman, they are seen to be leaning in towards each other and whispering.

Soon the next course arrives, it consists of a wide selection of 'pottages' as quite a few cooking pots are brought forth from the kitchen. You are told with such a short preparation time being allowed before this feast that the Daas ordered evey second cooking pot be prepared for the feast and brought into the kitchen just before the meal was to be served.

You sit and wait to be served and as the pot makes it's way down the lenght of the table your bowls are soon filled with a stew, it is tasty and contains several chunks of meat with some greens and barley. More bread is served along with this course. Some of the men are beginning to take advantage of the free ale.

You can see Jurri at his seat the scene surrounding him is one of unease. Several of the Ibanvaal men sit muted near the men of clan Daas and Jurri and they like the Ibanvaal men remain subdued and there does not appear to be much in the way of chit chat taking place.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 am

"I am suprised that Jurri dosn't sing the saga about our victories over Ibanvaal" Barak says quietly to Algarad "that should enliven the conversation around him."

"I wonder how long it will be before the brawl starts."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 am

OOC: Just because you can't hear what's being said doesn't mean there's not some discussion going on... Smile

In fact, if you are watching, it's probably clear that Jurri (at least) is talking. (Hopefully that doesn't result in a brawl.)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 am

But then again...... Twisted Evil
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm

[OOC] I have a LOT of catching up to do. I will post today. Apparently, I stopped getting forum updates AGAIN. I haven't updated since just before New Years Day.

[OOC UPDATE] CRAP! I'm in a high-profile seat! Posting soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 am

With the main meal served the conversation dies down some as the men turn their attention to eating. The food is not what you would call up to expectations for such an occassion but given the current circumstances the food is tasty and filling.

As the last of the of the plates and bowls are cleared away, platters of cheese and dried fruits are brought out.

The men begin to nibble on these foods.

The Daas turns his attentions to the gathered men around him and when he judges the time is right he stands banging a tankard against the bench.

All eyes turn their attention towards him and within moments there is silence.

"We have with us guest from Ibanvaal with us tonight, they are here under the order of their Prince and they bear tidings and news and an ultimatum" as he lets these words sink in he watches the crowd "they are here as my guests tonight and I will have no one dishonour my home by offering them insult or showing them disrespect" again he pauses to let his words sink in.

"They will return to their Prince tomorrow morning and until they are able to deliver my message to the Prince they are under my protection" again he pauses for effect.

Cunate turns to the wyrdsman and talking to him directly says "I apologise for the state of my hall and quality of my food, but you have caught us at a bad time" he finishes with a wry smile "but I extend to you the hospitality of my hall for tonight".

The wyrdsman stands in response and says "I thank you for your offer of hospitality on this dreary night, the roads would have been a cold and possibly wet place to be" he motions for the other men in his group and almost as one they stand and they all raise their tankards towards the Daas and the wyrdsman says "I do not know what the future holds for you or your clansmen but at least for tonight I bid you fair winds and calm seas" with those words the men from Ibanvaal drink deeply from their cups.

With those words the men from Ibanvaal take their seats, with the Daas still standing he turns his attentions to Vidar "We are honoured to have a priest with us on this night and I would call upon him now to say a few words" with that statement Cunate takes his seat and hands the reigns over to Vidar....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Upon conclusion of the feast and the invitation of Cunate, Vidar rises and speaks:

"It is fitting that in this clime and in this time, we bow our heads and pray:

Hail to you, Master of the Frosty Clime,
And Hail to your Elkyri!
In spirit with our departed kin,
We feast on this glorious day!

From the life-giving land,
We have this bread and this ale.
From the life-giving land,
We have this meat and this bounty.
With these, we sustain ourselves
And prepare for your next test.

May our strength and wisdom grow
In keeping with that of Jarl Cunate.
He has shown us leadership,
Courage, cunning, and honor.
So should we all hope to be,
To bring fame to clan and kin.

We thank you for these gifts,
Oh King of the Icy Wind;
These gifts of a great leader,
Of sustenance, of drink,
Of the virtues of your Ljarl.

So to you in assembly I say,
Let us feast and be merry!
Tomorrow may bring another test
Of our warrior-spirit and mettle.

<raises his tankard>

To great deeds!
Good works!
Beneficent Wyrd!
And the Fields of Talagaad,
Which all warriors seek!"

Vidar holds his tankard in the air and awaits the appropriate AMEN-like response from the assembly before downing the contents; after which, he resumes his seat.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:49 am

As Vidar finishes there is an eruption as the men begin banging their tankards on the benches and calling rather loud voices "HEAR, HEAR!", "THE GREY SLAYER!", "THE KING OF THE ICEY WINDS!" and "THE FIELDS OF TALAGAARD!" all the cries mix with each other in a cacophony of sounds.

Even the men from Ibanvaal join in the chorus, draining their tankards as they do so.

The hall returns to it's normal routine as the guests continue to chat and drink. Soon jugs of mead begin to appear.

After the jugs have had a chance to do the rounds and get refilled the Daas once again stands and bangs his tankard on the table in front of him. Like before the men quickly turn and look and soon silence once again falls over the hall.

"There are few here, with exceptions of our guests, that have not had our ears assailed by the noise that this man gets away with calling music and song!" he smiles broadly as he looks towards Jurri. "If you would once again entertain us, Jurri, with some of your works" as the Daas once again takes his seat, as the men gathered around the hall once again take to banging their tankards on the tables and benches in anticipation....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 am

"Sing us a song !" shouted the men
on the night before battle began.
The Skald stirred the strings, and once again
of their heroes he sang to the clan.

And sparks from the fire danced on his lyre,
his words kindled courage to flame;
both voice and harp rang clear and sharp
as their blades when the morning came;

And singing they went their foes to meet,
to the rhythm of sword upon shield,
to the rhythm of blows and thundering feet,
till the enemy had to yield -

And round the Skald cried a joyous throng:
"A song yet, a song !"

In the hall they built on the land they´d won
his lays were of love and of lore;
with wisdom and wit he wielded the words
as well as his weapon before.

Their bounty now came from their fields of corn
not from battlefields any more;
for feasting and drinking they raised the horn,
not for the signals of war.

The voice of the Skald rose mellow as mead;
the maidens were smiling warm
when he praised their tresses, golden as wheat
or the wealth on a ring-giver´s arm.

And through the glad night they cheered all along:
"A song still, a song !"

The youths for fortune the seas would roam,
their sails being scattered like leaves
by the autumn wind, which those at home
heard whistling around the eaves.

A tapestry woven of memory´s twine
at times the Skald would unfold,
collecting old glory like grapes from the vine
when valorous deeds were retold.

The old fighters felt suddenly unrest
and glanced at their swords on the wall;
but the women, sighing, gazed into the west
whence their sons should have come with the fall.

But still they bid, when the hours grew long:
"A song, one more song."

Like tides of sea passed the seasons; a day
of winter shone cold on the coast.
The hair of the hall folk was grizzled and gray,
and the Skald´s was as white as frost.

He sang of their kinsmen who´d come no more,
long lost to the ocean or mound,
whose ships now sailed to a stranger shore
by unknown waters bound.

That his voice had a catch, and a shimmer his eye
was maybe from the smoke or the fire;
but when his wizened hands stopped play,
a string did snap on his lyre -

And he said in a silence that lasted too long:
"No song, no more song."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:04 am

Good evening, good night,
May your slumber be light,
May your dreams be deep
As the Elkyri watch your sleep.
In the morning you´ll rise
and be healthy and wise,
In the morning you´ll rise
and be healthy and wise.

Good evening, good night,
As Yael shines bright,
Close your eyes now and rest,
May your slumber be blest.
In the morning´s fair skies
you will see the sun rise,
In the morning´s fair skies
you will see the sun rise.

Jurri will bow first to the Daas, then to his guests, and finally to the rest of the assembly. He will return to his seat and take a drink.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:48 am

The hall erupts with applause as Jurri finishes his performace, the applause continues till after Jurri has returned to his seat.

After the applause ends the men return to their conversations, topics anew, as they discuss Jurri's performance and Vidars prayer. Soon the hall has returned to it's banter and chat with the sounds of laughter thrown in every now and then.

The Daas allows his men time to quench their thirsts with the mead on offer before ordering the benches and tables removed. All the furniture is quickly pushed aside leaving the main hall area bare, except for the hearth fire which still burns fiercly keeping the evening chill away.

The men now move around the hall mixing with each other, some groups stay fixed and talk amongst themselves. Every now and then some will burst into song and quickly the rest of those assembled will join in and sing along. The men from Ibanvaal remain in their small group trying not to draw to much attention to themselves.

Thaldirs finds Barak early once the proceedings are concluded and leads him outside where there is quiet enough to have a conversation without having to raise their voices to much.....

The Daas moves around the hall spending time chatting with each of the groups of men as he wanders around. He moves around the hall without a care his huscarls still chatting with themselves or moving around the hall making their own rounds, mixing with the men from the clans.

The ale and mead are still flowing and so too is the song and entertainment as men tell tales of their deeds both on and off the battlefield, try to sing songs or recite some of the great saga's.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:04 pm

As things begin to wind down, Vidar is going to elect to remain sitting somewhere (if possible) or stand by himself near the hearth for warmth. He's done just the right amount of drinking -- feeling good, but not sloshed. He's eaten the right amount of food -- his belly tight but his clothes not bursting.

He will enjoy just watching the warriors -- Ibanvaalers and Menglanans alike -- partake of an evening of relaxation and enjoyment.

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:59 am

Barak, rather rudely, leaves the feast early, without saying any farewells... He probably won't be invited to another feast.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 am

During the feast, Borygg will be looking around to see if he recognizes anyone who he may have "done business" with over the years. Some, he will be interested in catching up with; others, he'll want to stay away from.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:02 am

Post by GMThe men from Ibanvaal enjoy the performances and after taking one or two more ales visit with Cunate Daas and offer their thanks for such fine hospitality given the current circumstances and then make their farewells, leaving the rest of the Daaslund men to carry on with their festivities.

Not long after that you each notice that the Daas does the rounds of the hall stopping to take the hand of one of the minor clans Valhakar he then says a few hushed words which go unheard by any of you and then he too makes his farewells.

The feast then begins to wind down as most of the men wait for perhaps the time it takes to finish a tankard before leaving the hall too.

Having appreciated Jurri's perfomance and taking joy from the honours given to Jurri and Vidar Algared endeavours to treat all who approach or speak with him graciously. As the feast concludes Algared bids his farewells and then withdraws returning to the hall he and his companions have shared.

Before entering the thranhouse he has been housed the last couple of days, he looks towards in where the wounded have been laid out, sighs and shakes his head.

Upon entering the Thranhouse he finds the clanhouse empty, Algared places firewood on the hearth so that will burn throughout the night and keep out the chill.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next