From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Nuzyael 720

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

10 Nuzyael 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 10 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:51 am

Upon being shown into the hall, Algared cant help but swallow as he approaches the jarl's judgement seat. When he reaches the customary position, he kneels almost in unison with Kugald and awaits the Daas to acknowledge them.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Barak tags along behind, happy to bring up the rear of the group. He'll make the normal observances of respect to the Jarl due from a (distant) clan member. He dosn't kneel unless it is required by custom; afterall he is a young independant freeman of good standing with the viking spirit coursing through his veins. He will stay still and answer any question put to him but not volunteer information, unless he feels that anyone (including himself) is being unfairly treated (i.e. being blamed for something they didn't do or couldn't avoid doing).
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Borygg does essentially the same as Barak and does whatever is appropriate to show respect to Cunate. Borygg is not a clan member (not even a distant one) but a freeman who wishes the Jarl's favor. He will let Kugald and Algared do the talking.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Hovik follows along. Are there any others besides the four already mentioned?

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Thorin... Erdrick...
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:28 am

Neirin stands with the others at the rear of the warband and bows his head in greeting to the Daas.

After offering your respects the Daas motions for Kugald and Algared (and Thorin and Erdrick if they drop to their knee) to rise.

"I take it from your greeting and by the lack of the Gerherbt that things did not go well" the tone of his voice indicates that he is not pleased.

Then turning his attetion to Hovik "what happened to you!" he asks...
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 am

Hovik is perfectly deferential and polite. But he's not quite sure how to phrase his answer.

"I earned a beating from the huscarls of the Miln, but that is a small thing. I took it upon myself to search for our quarry in the clanhouse of the Tejaal, and to learn the mind of the Tejaal in regards to you and the war you are embarking upon. The beating was simply a step along the path that led me to the Tejaal."

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:07 am

OOC: Martin (Hovik) posted while I was writing, the two posts should probably be read in reverse order.

Kugald's tone is grave and serious.

"No, my Jarl, we were not able to find Reike Gerherbt. We searched all around Rojanstad. There was no sign of him. Unfortunately, rain washed away any sign of his trail. Finally, we crossed into Tejaalund in search of him. We caught wind of him in Milnheim, where he had arrived the night before we visited."

"It is in Milnheim where things went wrong. In my excitement after hearing news that Reike was just 12 hours ahead of us, I failed to pay proper respects to the local Jarl and request his permission to pursue Reike. Instead, I took Thorin, since we were both on horseback, and we immediate rode south in hopes of catching Reike. We thought he had gone to Isenwich. I left the rest of my men to follow on foot. Understandably, the Jarl was upset with our lack of respect. Since Thorin and I had already left, his huscarls restrained the other members of the group for interrogation to determine the purpose of armed men entering his territory."

"When the warband was brought in front of the Jarl, Hovik," he looks over at the physician, "did not recognize him and gave grave offence. Algared, who I had left in charge, apologized on behalf of the warband and our clan. The rest of the warband was held overnight and then sent back to Daaslund the next morning."

"Hovik was badly roughed up by the Jarl's men. None the less, in an effort to find out what the Tejaal knew about Reike, he bravely engaged in a dangerous game of cat and mouse with the Jarl. They ended up taking him to Trond where he verbally sparred with the Tejaal. They released him with a scroll for you my lord."

He gestures for Hovik to pass the scroll to the chamberlain.

"Thorin and I did not find Reike. We spent a day searching and then headed back to Daaslund. We met up with the warband on the road back to Upsala, where Hovik caught up to us after being released by the Tejaal with this message for you."

"Once the warband was reunited in Upsala, we returned to Rojanstad to see if Reike had returned. There, we received word that you had summoned us back to Ygesdram. We returned at first light this morning."

"As for Hovik's appearance, most is due to the Jarl of Milnheim's men...however, I did give him a black eye this morning for his smart mouth."

"My Jarl, the search was a failure. I am responsible for the discourtesy to the Jarl and everything that flowed from that. I should have introduced myself and I should have been there to ensure he was treated with the proper respect instead of riding around the countryside. I take full responsibility. I have failed you, my Jarl, and I accept whatever punishment you see fit to deal out. All I ask, is that you spare my men."

Kugald steels himself in expectation of the Jarl's anger.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am

OOC: Well. I guess we'll let the GM tell us which happens first. If Kugald really is going to try to provide us with this stemwinder, then Hovik interrupts almost immediately.

"Excuse me, Kugald, but I believe the Jarl was asking me about my wounds."

Hovik will then wait politely for confirmation, and if it is received he continues much as posted before.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:23 am

Cunate rises slowly from his chair you can see his anger building as he walks slowly towards Hovik, from the corner of your eyes you can see Thaldirs stand while Tersi and the chamberlain remain seated.

" I can see why this task was doomed from the beginning!" the Daas hisses only inches from Hoviks face.

"A Daas was talking and you presumed to interrupt him" a strike from the Daas' hand sends you reeling to the ground. The back of his right ashes out and strikes Hovik across the right cheek. The blow sends Hovik staggering across the floor. Hovik manages to keep his balance but the blow has him seeing stars.

"You forget your place thrall" the last word is almost growled out. "If a freeman decides that he will talk over the top of you then that is his choice, you do not decide to talk over the top of a freeman"

"I can see why you have returned to us in the condition that you are in!"

The Daas takes the parchment from the chamberlain before he returns to his seat. He checks the seal on the letter before casting a quick glance over the warband.

He opens the letter and begins to read, there is a silence in the hall as the letter is read. The Daas screws the letter up in his left hand once he has finished reading it.

With a steely gaze the Daas views the warband then says "Very well" the Daas says "Thorin, Neirin, Barak, Borygg, Erdrick and Jurri, your presence here is no longer needed, please leave us! Return to your clans and prepare yourselves for the muster." he motions for those mentioned to leave the hall.

Last edited by GM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Erdrick)
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:29 am

Jurri nods respectfully and departs without delay. He'll linger outside until all the others have made their way out.

"It's going to be a long night, I think."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:30 am

Borygg nods respectfully and leaves without a word. He'll join Jurri outside the hall.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:43 am

Hovik briefly checks his face to see whether there is an unbruised spot. Finding none, he shrugs and waits for the next axe to fall.

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 am

'This is Daas business' thinks Barak 'and I am not Daas'. Barak is content to follow Borygg out of the hall.

On the way out, or whilst lingering with Jurri and Borygg, Barak will look out for a Daas huscarl or militiaman. If he spots one, he asks "Where are the Daas mustering? To whom do we report and when?".

Outside, to Borygg he says "I don't suspose you have a clan here to join. Jurri will return to the Gerbels; Thorin will fight with the huscarls; Kugald, Algarda and I will be together with the Daas. Will you be joining the muster? If you have no clan to join, I will see if you can be included with the Daas if you like. But, as you see, I don't have much infuence with the Daas."

To Jurri "Yes, this will be interesting for Kugald. But we have been dismissed and our band disolved. Somehow, I don't think you will be composing a great saga of the heroic deeds of Hovik. I doubt this will be Algarad's best birthday either."

And to himself he muses "'Barak Abrynson', it could work. But where would you find a ship leaving for Orbaal?..."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Kugald walks out of the hall just a short while after the rest of the band. He sees Barak contemplating his choices.

"Barak," he calls out. He catches up with his cousin and throws his arm around his shoulder. "Well, that went better than I expected," Kugald says quietly, so no one can hear the relief in his voice or see the slight smile on his face...like a child who has just narrowly avoided a whipping.

"We should wait for Algared. He should be out soon. The Daas was about to speak to him as I left. Then, we can all go down to the Daas muster together."

A great weight seems to have been lifted of Kugald's shoulders. It seems as if his eyes are brighter, his smile easier and his voice happier then they have been for several days. He seems more his normal happy go lucky self again.

A hint of the grim Kugald of the last few days returns when he speaks again, "I don't know what Hovik is playing at. I did my best to shield him. He may have been foolish and annoying, but he was a member of my warband and I did what I could for him, but when a berserker leaves the shieldwall to charge the enemy singlehanded and naked, you can but watch."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Barak watches Algarad pass with a worried frown but decides to wait for Kugald.

When Kugald appears Barak listens to him then replies, "Kugald, it is good to see you so cheerful. I was asking Borygg here about the muster, since I don't believe we have any clan Raal. Do you think he could muster with us as part of the Dass contingent?" says Barak, in a quieter voice Barak continues "I have to admit I am worried for the fate of Menglana, we will be but a swamp fly biting on the rump of a Northern Deer, when compared to Ibaanvaal. The kingdoms finest have left to go viking in Orbaal over the years, I am wondering if that is the best long term choice - raid a abbey, grab some land of your own, and start a new life in a new country. But here is not the place to speak of it. First we have to see where Cunate is planning on leading us."

In a louder voice he continues "So what has happened to Hovik? And did you find out what was on that Tejaal scroll? Hovik seems an unlikely traitor dispite his best attempts to put on that cloak. I can't believe he was really a thrall though, he acted more like a jarl. Thralldom seems wrong to me some times: does Sarajin not treach us that everyman should make the best of themselves, with strength of arm, use of the ancient lores and crafts, a cunning mind like the williest fox, and fearlessly travelling the windsweeped seas. How can you do that in chains?"

"Algarad is not in the mood to celebrate his birthday. He has already walked past and ignored us. Since you are close to him cousin, perhaps you should follow him and see what ails him." and in a more confidential tone he then says to Kugald, "The jarl may order us off to fight for him, or tramp the countryside on his work, but he thinks not of feeding or compensating us, or even thanking or praising us. It is not like I am a huscarl, feed, equipped and housed in return for doing his bidding. We may not have found Reike but it is nor for want of trying. But I guess I had better not complain too loudly or I will find myself with even less."

Last edited by Barak Daas on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:20 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Rewrite of history)
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Algared leaves the hall, he sees those who were for a short while his companions gives them a nod and continues towards his fathers house. Algared dreads the reception he knows they will discern all did not go well. He ignores the calls from those he knows as he walks or gives an empty half smile. Finally he turns left walking up the hill that overlooks the river nearest the mercantyler's and sits. He can afford to miss a meal. Whilst he sits he contemplates his place, and his failure.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Barak Daas wrote:
When Kugald appears Barak listens to him then replies, "Kugald, it is good to see you so cheerful. I was asking Borygg here about the muster, since I don't believe we have any clan Raal. Do you think he could muster with us as part of the Dass contingent?"
Yes, Kugald, I too am happy to see you cheerful. If I may ask, what did the Daas say to you and Algared? Do you know what Hovik's scroll said?
As for the muster, Barak is right that I have no clan in Ygesdram. Who do I need to talk to about my place in the muster? I would be proud to fight alongside Clan Daas.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Barak Daas wrote:"I don't suspose you have a clan here to join. Jurri will return to the Gerbels; Thorin will fight with the huscarls; Kugald, Algarda and I will be together with the Daas. Will you be joining the muster? If you have no clan to join, I will see if you can be included with the Daas if you like. But, as you see, I don't have much infuence with the Daas."

To Jurri "Yes, this will be interesting for Kugald. But we have been dismissed and our band disolved. Somehow, I don't think you will be composing a great saga of the heroic deeds of Hovik. I doubt this will be Algarad's best birthday either."

And to himself he muses "'Barak Abrynson', it could work. But where would you find a ship leaving for Orbaal?..."

If he hears the comment about him returning to the Grebels, Jurri will smile to himself. Like most skalds, he has little social relationship to his clan, being independent. While it is true there are Grebels here in Ygesdram, Jurri is not particularly tied to them. His employer is the Daas, and so long as the Daas sees fit to continue the arrangement, Jurri is in no hurry to seek his fortunes elsewhere. No, he has his own reasons for joining the Daas in this fight; it has nothing to do with the clan of his birth.

But he can understand why this might not be readily apparent to some. Perhaps he too should adopt another name? Something that makes it clear he has no clan ties. Hmm. He'll have to give that some more thought.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:19 pm

[OoC:

> If he hears the comment about him returning to the Grebels <

Jurri was meant to hear - in that it was said at normal speaking level whilst standing next to him.]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 pm

OOC: Hi,

GM wrote:
Just a note Algared was dismissed before you Kugald.... you need to check the scouting thread for more info.

I did read it, it was just that there was nothing to indicate the order it happened in.

In character:

Barak Daas wrote:
"Kugald, it is good to see you so cheerful. I was asking Borygg here about the muster, since I don't believe we have any clan Raal. Do you think he could muster with us as part of the Dass contingent?" says Barak, in a quieter voice Barak continues "I have to admit I am worried for the fate of Menglana, we will be but a swamp fly biting on the rump of a Northern Deer, when compared to Ibaanvaal. The kingdoms finest have left to go viking in Orbaal over the years, I am wondering if that is the best long term choice - raid a abbey, grab some land of your own, and start a new life in a new country. But here is not the place to speak of it. First we have to see where Cunate is planning on leading us."

"Borygg is more than welcome to join the Daas contingent."

"Going viking is tempting, but I have a mother and brother here and a father and brother missing while a viking. Someone needs to stay here and protect the thran. However, if things go badly, I might reconsider."

Barak wrote:
In a louder voice he continues "So what has happened to Hovik? And did you find out what was on that Tejaal scroll? Hovik seems an unlikely traitor dispite his best attempts to put on that cloak. I can't believe he was really a thrall though, he acted more like a jarl. Thralldom seems wrong to me some times: does Sarajin not treach us that everyman should make the best of themselves, with strength of arm, use of the ancient lores and crafts, a cunning mind like the williest fox, and fearlessly travelling the windsweeped seas. How can you do that in chains."

"The Jarl chastised Algared and myself. He said that Algared had failed both me (Kugald) and the Jarl. That is a bit unfair, I think Hovik would have opened his mouth no matter who was in charge."

"He told me:

The Daas wrote:
"Kugald, I entrusted you with what I considered a simple task, to travel to Rojanstad and apprehend the Valhakar of clan Gerherbt, it did not require any fancy foot work, any deception or subtefuge, it required strength, courage and determination. I am not saying you lack these qualities but you need to rely on them more let them guide your actions. There will be times for deception and there are times when bold action are needed." The Daas pauses for a moment to let his words sink in. "My chamberlain says you asked him for a letter of authority to act on my behalf, this was your first test, which you passed, with my consent to your actions you should have been decisive in your actions" the Daas feels he is beginning to rant a little to much and adds "You should let the Ljarl guide you"

"Now I have the Tejaal to deal with as well...." he voice trails off.

"He didn't tell us what was in the letter, but from his reaction and comment, it cannot have been good."

Barak wrote:
"Algarad is not in the mood to celebrate his birthday. He has already walked past and ignored us. Since you are close to him cousin, perhaps you should follow him and see what ails him."

"I will do that."

Barak wrote:
"The jarl may order us off to fight for him, or tramp the countryside on his work, but he thinks not of feeding or compensating us, or even thanking or praising us. It is not like I am a huscarl, feed, equipped and housed in return for doing his bidding. We may not have found Reike but it is nor for want of trying. But I guess I had better not complain too loudly or I will find myself with even less."

"I agree, but I think things would have been different if we had come back victorious. Patience, I think better rewards are to come."

"I think I am going to sell this ring," showing the gold ring (OOC: value 750d). "It is of no great personal meaning and the money will make things easier. I will speak to Algared first, then sell the ring and then I will buy you all food and ale and give you a few pennies for your pockets. MY WARBAND won't go hungry!" He smiles.

"I will see you soon."

Kugald heads off after Algared. He finds him overlooking the river. "Well met cousin!" He flops down on the ground beside Algared and throws his massive arm around his shoulder. "Don't take it too hard. The Jarl could have been far harsher than he was. We tried. We screwed up. Such is fate. I know you are worried about what your father might say. I have a suggestion...tell him to 'piss off'! Algared, you are old enough now to head out on your own. You have some unique talents and are a solid member of our shield wall. Screw your dad and his high expectations and bitter criticism! You stick with me. I may not be the smartest Daas...damn it, I couldn't even catch an old, fat valhakar...but it will never be boring around me. Come, stay at our clan house tonight. We will march soon. If we win...and you live...then all will be forgiven and there will be loot and glory for all. If we loose...and you live...we will run off with Barak to Orbaal. And if we die! Then, we will be drinking ale till we puke in Sarajin's hall!!!!"

"Now, it is your birthday, I will have none of this moping around. I have a ring to sell so we can have some money and then we are going to eat and drink until today is but a distant memory!"

Kugald hooks his right hand under Algared's left armpit and hauls him to his feet. "On your feet soldier! We have legions of mead and ale to slay. No rest for the wicked!"

The two head down to the market square to see what kind of price they can get for Kugald's ring (today is the 10th, market day).

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:08 am

Thorin will return to the Huscarl billets and begin preparing for muster.
He is downtrodden, obviously disappointed that rather than adventuring for the clan, he is now just another huscarl.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:49 am

I did miss Erdrick from the list - he has since been included with the post amended. He was excused along with the other members early in the piece.

You find out that the Daas have mustered all over there are around 500 men from clan Daas that have joined the muster. It would be custom for you to join your family groups for the muster. But I am sure exceptions could be made if you wished to fight alongside another family beware of upsetting one family by assisting another though.

Remember clans are made up of multiple families not all of which may get along with each other.

Barak Daas wrote:"The jarl may order us off to fight for him, or tramp the countryside on his work, but he thinks not of feeding or compensating us, or even thanking or praising us. It is not like I am a huscarl, feed, equipped and housed in return for doing his bidding.

You can always get a roof and a feed where you always have - back at the meadhall. Your clans and families still exsist it is just that at least 1 in 5 men from each family are attending the muster at the moment.

Arrangements can be made for Borygg to fight alongside a Daas family.

By the time Kugald has returned with Algared in tow the markets is just getting underway.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:55 am

[Ooc:
> It would be custom for you to join your family groups for the muster <

Since Barak hasn't lived with/been with his step-family for around five years, I doubt that anyone, least of all him, will be expecting him to fight along side them. Barak is already considering whether clan Daas might need a scout group or an company of archers. He can fight in the shield wall as well as the next man, but it dosn't suit his independant streak.

Barak is also considering selling his one piece of jewellry of value, to buy Gelda's freedom, and to buy some much needed equipment. It is lucky that today is market day. But he suspects selling when everyone is mustering for war is not going to be the time to get the best price. Plus, if they are lucky they may acquire enough loot to see him through.

Question to GM: do the Menglana have the equivalant of the usurer/pawnbroker, who'll loan money based on security (like a necklace), and if so, does Ygresdram have one? I have the suspicion that if the answer is yes, it will be Barak's favourite dealer of pelts.
]
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:10 am

Yes Skorri Daas would be the closest thing to a usurer.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next