From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

27 Peonu 720

+6
Sigrun Surenaal
Eijryk Orbaason
Barak Daas
Borygg Raal
Jurri Grebel
GM
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

27 Peonu 720 Empty 27 Peonu 720

Post  GM Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:20 pm

The day dawns cold and overcast, with slight reluctance the warriors pull themselves from their beds. The mountains to the east are hidden below low grey clouds. A slight wind blows from the north eastEach of the warband rise and go about their daily routines, washing, dressing and sharing their morning meal with friends and families.

Your plans for the day please
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

27 Peonu 720 Empty Re: 27 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise, Jurri will go about his normal duties, providing entertainment for the Daas, his guests, and his retainers. When not busy with that, he'll work on his musical and poetic compositions, mend and craft instruments, and occasionally test out reactions to his works at the meadhall or other gatherings.

Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:25 am

Unless this day is different somehow from the last few, Borygg will do the same stuff he has been doing: practicing weapons, talking and listening to people, helping on the boat as needed, etc.

Borygg has found out that the coming war has dried up the outward flow of many trade goods from Ygesdram and that supplies of certain other items are running low. Borygg will spend some time in trying to determine if there is some needed commodity item that is in low supply in Ygesdram but that he thinks could be acquired and brought back in a reasonable time.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Barak will continue the same routine. Get up at the false dawn, chop some firewood or whatever needs doing, grabs his bow and heads off west in to the woods. He dosn't care if he catches anything or not he just dosn't want to be hanging around the thran uselessly. At midday he'll return to the thran and seek out Sigrun to see if she wants another practice session. If not he'll seek out other members of band to see if they want some sword practice in the afternoon.

[OoC: PS what happened about the oath]

About to be taken care of - I had not forgotten Very Happy
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Eijryk Orbaason Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Eijryk feeling a bit strange about the chilly reception he is recieving from most of the inhabitants of the thran. Only the Orbaason clan seem to be genuinely friendly to him. He wonders if it has to do with the misunderstanding between him and Hervold earlier that week. He thinks about going back to the herbalist to try to explain himself, but decides to go see what his companions are up to instead.

He starts with asking Borygg if there is anything he want help with, if not he walks down to the docks to ask Sigrun or Bjarni if there is anything he can do to help with the Farvie. He will practice with his spear and shield if someone else wants to become his sparring partner.
Eijryk Orbaason
Eijryk Orbaason

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:38 am

During the morning a lad of not more than 16 years summers in age finds each of you in turn and bids you follow him to the greathall, the Daas wishes to speak with each of you.

Jurri is the first to be found by the young lad as the skalds drumming can be heard coming from within the thranhold. Kugald is the next to be found working away in the weaponsmiths workshop where he has been the last few days. Bjarni and Sigrun are the next to be found as they maintain the 'Favie' while it is laid up. Algared is the next to be found as he wanders about the thran attending to his own business. Borygg and Eirjyk are the next to arrive at the greathall. Each of you nods at the young lads instructions and tell him that you shall clean up some first and attend the greathall post haste.

There the warband remains until after Nolomar has risen to its zenith, when finally Barak arrives.

Explaining that he had been out trying his hand a some hunting before returning to the thran where the young lad had left a message with Jabor that should he see Barak he should tell him that his presence is required in the greathall most urgently.

The weather has only improved midly with the passing watch, the day still remains cool, the clouds grey, low and ominous, concealing the blue sky and Nolomar from view. The wind blows from the south east and has picked up in strength since the early morning. The chance for rain this afternoon or evening would seem quite high.

While you wait about the greathall you are able to watch the activities around the thran. All seems normal given the current situation and it hardly feels like the Daas and the Storzar are fighting for their very exsistance.

You are able to chat briefly with one of the new arrivals from the boat. A lad about the same age as you are (in his early twenties) his linen tabbard is in fact emblazoned with a black crow and partially conceals a woollen tunic and linen leggings. His feet are covered with leather shoes and from his belt hangs a broad bladed sword the like of which you have not seen about Ygesdram before (a Falchion) a handaxe is also stuck through a thick leather belt which is tied about his waist. In his right hand however, is a bow the likes of which most of you have not seen, it's length is much greater than the bows to which you are accustomed (a longbow). He is able to inform in a heavily accented Ivinian that the new arrivals are a mercenary company from a place called Chybisa on the island of Harn.

The mercenary company are either Ivinians themselves or are from Ivinian parents and are here to gain fame, wealth and fortunes fighting for the Daas.

It is early during the fourth watch when this lad bids you each a farewell and goes about his duties once again, leaving you waiting for the purpose to which you have been assembled.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Eijryk Orbaason Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 am

When he hears Chybisa mentioned Eijryk becomes very interested in the mercenary lad. "I used to live in Burzyn.", he says to him. "Do you happen to know an Ivinian master physician named Ulfheir Thansen? I was his apprentice. Who is your commander by the way?"

[OOC: Does Eijryk recognize any names the lad may mention, the commander of the mercenaries for example.]

Question from the GM What language are you speaking to the young lad in?
Player Eijryk speaks in Ivinian initially, but if he notices that the lad has trouble understanding he will try Harnic.

Last edited by Eijryk Orbaason on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eijryk Orbaason
Eijryk Orbaason

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:21 am

Sigrun maintains the Farvie in the morning. She would have sought out Barak in the afternoon, but instead heads to the hall. There, she will none too subtly try to listen to the conversation between Eijryk and the mercenary, with her meager knowledge of Harnic.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:08 am

The lad speaks in a heavily accented Ivinian.

"Aye, I have been to Burzyn" then after a quick look skywards and a short pause says "thrice if I recall". Then in response to your next question "No" the lad replies "I only know of Lanas 'the theif', he is the healer we used when we needed their services"

With a quick look over his shoulder the lad gives the name of his commander "Stee Jaans, do you know of him?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Eijryk Orbaason Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:39 am

"I have heard his name and know the reputation of his mercenary band. Next time you are in Burzyn and need a wound cared for, go to Ulfheir Thansen instead. Better value for the money you pay." Eijryk smiles at the lad.
Eijryk Orbaason
Eijryk Orbaason

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:28 am

Algared having spent several days researching and taking notes seems to be feeling pleased, whether just the result of a change in his routine, the feeling of success or a combination it it hard to gauge.

When the messenger finds him, Algared heads home cleans up and wears his best clothing with his amulets and broaches before fastening the broadsword about his waist. He then heads to the greathall, as he waits he spends his time listening to the youth talk about Harn.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Bjarni will put on his best, which isn't saying much. He will wait with the others at the hall for whatever is coming. He takes a passing interest in the conversation about Harn but when he doesn't hear the civilised parts being talked about his attention wanders to food and drink and serving girls.
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:21 am

Once you have all gathered together you spend a short time waiting allowing you the chance to catch up on some of the local gossip and your own activities over the last few days.

While you chat quietly amongst each other you are interrupted by one of Cunate's staff. "Please enter" the young lad bids each of you.

Entering the hall you find Cunate seated in his usual chair, he is flanked by several of his huscarls and Thaldirs stands to his right, Tersi and Madrin Trilsten stands to his left. There are other familiar faces in the hall, these men have taken seats near the Daas.

You are shown forward closer to the Daas, stopping about 15 paces from his chair.

"Kugald, Algared, Barak, Jurri and Borygg, well met my friends!" Cunate says "please stand over here" as he waves his hand to a position to his right front. "Young Eirjyk I have heard your family speak of you, Bjarri speaks well of you too! Please join Kugald and his companions" After the group has moved he turns to face the others "You are new to my thranhold and are yet to prove yourselves. These men" as he indicates Kugald and the others "have joined me in battle and have endured much for me" Cunate pauses for a moment to let his words sink in "My lands are set upon from all sides and needs must that I know your intentions here in Ygesdram are honourable, Jurri asked you several days ago where you would be willing to swear an oath to me" again Cunate pauses "Now I call upon your answers"

"Sigrun of clan Surenaal what say you?"

"Bjarni of clan Daasen what say you?"

"Zeoul of clan Djaon what say you?"

GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 am

Bjarni steps forward and bows his head to the Vakhakar and them straightens himself up.

"Daas, I have come from Orbaal on far Harn from a clan that is cadet to your own. I am kin to half the people in this hall if they know it or not." Bjarni stares around at the assembled clan members. "To have my intentions here questioned as if I was some unrelated vagabond appearing at your door begging for scraps sits ill with me. I have not asked for rings or silver as payment for spear work like the sell-swords that I see about the thranhold"

If there are any mercenaries in the room he will indiciate with a tilt of his chin towards them before continuing.

" On Harn, your cousin Haarsin Daasen has my oath. Here in this thranhold I have been training to stand in your shield wall with Ibanvaal spears to my front and to put myself between them and your standard. If that is not enough for you then I will give this fine mailshirt back to Kugald."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:03 am

Sigrun takes a step forward before speaking.

"To The Daas, I will speak the same words I did to these men," and Sigrun gestures toward Kugald and the others, "for it would dishonor them to do otherwise."

"I have been at sea since I was a child. When I returned to Menglana to visit my family, I found the Ibanvaal dogs had overrun my home at Froyby. My parents are now prisoners. I'll stand with any whose cause moves me toward freeing them and liberating Froyby. My allegiances are to my father, the sea, my ship, my captain, and my friends. I swear oath that I will not betray nor harm any Daas or their allies, but I will not BE Daas."

Sigrun pauses, straightens herself up to her full height, takes a breath, and continues.

"If I learn that clan Surenaal is no more, or if The Daas' aims stray from driving back the Ibanvaaler scum, then I will return to the sea, and mourn my parents from afar. If The Daas sees fit to add a fine pilot to his armies, then it will be my honor to serve." At this Sigrun bows deeply and then takes a step back.
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 am

Cunate listens to Bjarni as he speaks. Once Bjarni has finished Cunate waits several moments to allow the tension to build within the hall.

"Young fisherman, I know where you hail from and while you may be a cadet clan of the great Daas clan, that does not make you Daas!" pausing once again he continues "this clan Daasen who not only once and not twice but three times ignored the calls of our clan to send aid for this war, now wish to be known as our kith and kin. YOU ARE NOT DAAS!" Cunate raises his voice for the first time.

"There are other clans here who are not Daas but take the protection that my clan provides, right now, Bjarni Daasen you are alone and without any support, clan Nildrom offered their hospitality to you when you first arrived and now my cousin here" as he indicates towards Kugald "shows you friendship but you are not prepared to swear an oath to his Valhakar!"

"I do not question your intentions Bjarni Daasen, but if you want my protection while you reside within my walls, then you had best offer your oath to me, for while you are here alone the only protection you have is among your friends and do you want to put them in such an awkward position that they must choose between your friendship and their honour to their families and their Valhakar?"

Cunate rubs his chin for a moment before continuing "No you have not taken silver or rings or other payment, but nor have offered thanks to anyone for the food that has been put in your sizeable belly or the roof over your head - who do you think is paying for all that! At least I know the minds of these sell swords because they have sworn to fight for me."

"Now do I have your oath?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 am

"Sigrun Surenaal, the situation in Froyby has changed since you left, the Surenaal's now fight for the Dagen. The Surenaal clan were part of the first troops to scale the walls of Froyaheim when the thran fell. The women of your clan now have Dagen husbands and their offspring are now part of clan Dagen. The hold of the Storzars over Froyby has long since gone."

"Clan Surenaal exists still but what has befallen your kin I cannot say, but my army was in Froyby not a month ago and they are now well in with the Dagen."

"Right now young Sigrun, I am not sure I have need for a fine pilot but nor will I dismiss your offer of service, I accept your oath!"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Bjarni ponders for a moment and pats his mail covered stomach.

“Lord, while it is true I have a prodigious appetite and I eat for two men it is well known I do the work of three, be it at the oar, the casting of nets or in the shield wall so the silver spent on feeding me is not wasted but an investment for future gain. It would be unwise and a terrible shame if I were to be famished and weak when the horns sound and spear-din is upon us.

As to the affairs of princes, what my valhakar thinks or doesn’t think or what aid he does or doesn’t send to you is his business. He doesn’t ask my opinion, but he is said by many to be a fool and wouldn’t listen even if he did.

None-the-less here I am before you, alone and with few friends and fewer kin it seems but it still behoves me to represent my clan whether our kinship is acknowledged or not. My honour demands no less.

It is said that one must repay friendship with friendship and gift for gift but for the moment I am a poor man so cannot give gifts to match those I have received. It is equally no secret that I wish to make a name and one day return to Orbaal with both wife and war booty. I make no apology for being ambitious in that regard.

Bjarni takes out the small fakang amulet he wears around his neck and says,

“As you have pointed out, Lord, I am not Daas but Daasen - something I had started to forget in my sojourn here. An oath of loyalty one valhakar already has from me and it is well known that a man cannot serve two Lords. But saying that, by the Grey Slayer and my own patron, Njehu the Whale King, I will give ship-oath that I will stand by my captain and ship and will obey your orders or be known as a nithing between this thran and as far across the Whale Road as good seamen dare sail."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:05 am

Barak smiles and hopes Bjarni has said enough.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:28 am

"Bjarni, a wise decision indeed young fisherman!" Cunate says.

Zauol steps forward once Bjarni and Sigrun have spoken "I too, offer my oath to you Valhakar of clan Daas, if it were not for your endeavours I should have been left in Storzarland a thrall to the Dagen" then after a quick pause "or worse!"

"Very well then" says Cunate "a deal has been struck!" Cunate pauses for a moment before continuing "at the next 'ting' I will call you each to offer your oath to me and in return for this oath, I shall offer you the protection of clan Daas for as long as you remain part of my clanhold"

With the meeting now at a close you are shown out of the greathall.

Standing around the thranhold you notice that all seems normal, the tradesmen go about their business, children play among the clanhouses, some of the older boys swing sticks at each other pretending to do battle with each other, each time the children representing the Daas always triumph over those of the Dagens. Some of the younger children help their mothers tend the small gardens picking herbs and the like.

While around you the animals go about their continual search for food, chickens scratch through the dirt picking at the ground as they go, pigs wander the thranhold, ducks and geese also wander the thranhold squarking and quacking as they go.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm

If Barak dosn't know (it is probably common knowledge), he asks one of Cunate's retinue "When is the next Þing?"

Post by GM Barak has been in Ygesdram long enough to not only know that a ting is held on the 3rd and 18th days of each month but to have attended several himself.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:58 pm

"I wonder what that was about." muses Barak "He surely can't be asking all strangers, individually, for their oath."

"Anyhow, he obviously has no plans for us for the next five days. What are you all planning to do?" ... "As for myself, if there are no other plans I might go for a hunting trip up in to the bottom of the mountains, or at least in to the wildlands."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sigrun Surenaal Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:33 pm

"Presumably, he doesn't want to ask an oath of someone and be refused. That would be embarassing."
Sigrun Surenaal
Sigrun Surenaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjarni Daasen Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:13 pm

"Who knows what Princes think? At least he accepted what oath I was willing to give. To be honest, I didn't really want to give away this fine mailshirt Kugald made."
Bjarni Daasen
Bjarni Daasen

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:23 pm

"Just as well, since I gave it up so that you could have it. I want to see you use it. So what are you planning to do: eat, drink and chase the girls?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next