From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 Peonu 720

5 posters

Go down

11 Peonu 720 Empty 11 Peonu 720

Post  GM Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:33 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

A rather bland broth is consumed by the warband as Emil sits in relative silence. With Jurri prompting him about Vulenheim he becomes quieter still and does not seem all that interested in talking unless prompted for conversation.

With the meal consumed the camp is packed up and with everyones gear already packed, Algared hands Emil a hand axe, he gives it few practice swings as he waves the tool about. It is quite clear he is inexperienced in the use of this tool as a weapon by the way he swings the axe around.

Once Kugald allows Emil to leave he bids a farewell and departs the group heading east into the forest and is soon gone.

With Barak leading he heads off towards the north west in a effort to find some easier ground to traverse. The sky is mostly clear allowing an obscured Yael to shine what light there is to guide you, the stars can be used to navigate your way through the dark and shadowy forest. (Visibility is about 20' give or take)

You descend the forested hills with relative ease and within a quarter watch you have found the road. Paralleling the road you soon discover that you are now taking a more southerly course as you follow the road. The darkened silhoutte of the man in front of guides your path. There is the occasional mutterings as a member of the warband stumbles with the uneven ground. Emil can be heard muttering to himself almost the entire journey - his

The warband continues to push on as the first rays of Nolomar's light begin to shine from behind the mountains to the east, lighting the eastern sky in fiery red and orange hues. The temperature has improved slightly but still remains cool while the sky above is mostly covered with thin wisps of white cloud with the wind blowing steadily from the north east.

Last edited by GM on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Have removed Emil from the group...)
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

11 Peonu 720 Empty Re: 11 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:18 pm

He scrutinises the road as far as he can see in both directions looking for travellers or patrols. He also scan the sky for signs of what the weather might be like today [OoC: Weatherlore].

Post by GM The day should continue to remain fine but cold, but the smell of the air would seem to indicate rain later today.

With a quick look along the road it would seem that only the mounted patrols are using this road for now.

Last edited by Barak Daas on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am

[OoC: Does that mean that Barak can see a mounted patrol? If not...]

Post by GM There is no one visible (except for the members of your warband) along the road

Barak continues to lead the fatigued party southwardish paralelling the road but staying, as far as possible out of sight of it.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Time: Mid 2nd watch - Mid 4th watch

With Barak leading, the warband heads south west paralleling the road as best as possible. The warband weaving its way through the heavily forested hills, the going is hard with the ground underfoot covered in rocks and the constant rise and fall of the undulating terrain, making the rate of movement slow, with the warband needing several stops to rest. These rest stops allow the warband enough time to take a few mouthfuls of water to quench their thirst and to munch upon a handful or two of berries and the like to sustain them on thier march.

There are two occassion where the warband spy a mounted patrol, all carried spears and shields but there was a wide variety of armour/clothing. The first patrol was headed west and it would seem the same patrol was seen heading east some half a watch later. The patrols seemed to be lax in their vigilance allowing the warband time to seek cover away from the road to avoid being seen.

I have taken the liberty of taking the action of avoiding contact with these patrols, as that seems to have been your intentions as you return home. Please let me know if you wish to amend this post.

Nolomar traces its path through the sky indicating the passage of time and with Nolomar now hanging low in the western sky, the warband are fatigued but seem to have travelled a good distance today.

By the end of the day you are positioned along a wooded ridge with a view overlooking a stretch of pastures, meadows and fields that extends off into the distance to the south west, a myriad of path ways lead through the fields, while the main trail can be seen continuing its path to the south west. This area is also dotted with small areas of trees. The southern edge of these fields are bordered by the continuation of the forests you are currently in.

Several kilometres to the south west sitting amid the fields runs a river flowing south to north running into the Liem River which can also be seen off to the north. A large camp, maybe a hundred warriors, judging by the number of fires can be seen on the eastern side of the tribritory river, a small pallisage has been erected around the campsite.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 pm

"Seems we have found their blocking force." Algared says as he rubs his eyes. "Now all we have to do is work out how to get past them without arousing their guard those mounted patrols have seemed rather lax, secure in their belief that they have won I suppose. It also wont be long I'd wager before the Dagan has his men pulled back and his new enforced allies pushed forwards lest he butcher their clans." Algared curses under his breath. "But I see another problem once we get past them, how do we manage to reach our own lines without becoming quivers for Daas arrows."

Algared looks to his friends and cousins for their thoughts knowing also that Kugald will listen to all their thoughts before choosing a course of action."

Last edited by Algared on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm

"Ggggggggg...." Kugald's stomach makes a loud growl.

He peers through the woods at the enemy camp. 'Finally', he thinks to himself.

The warrior slips back from the edge of the tree line, gesturing for the others to join him.

Once they are well concealed in the bushes, he gathers the group close so they can talk in whispers without being seen or heard.

"Well done Barak, you have lead us accurately through these woods to the frontier. Many thanks. Now, we have to get past them. Given the laxness of their mounted patrols, I don't think they are worried about a small band such as ourselves, rather, I think they are a sentry post watching for a large movement of troops towards Froyaheim. Still, that doesn't mean we can afford to be reckless. It would be a crying shame to make it this far on naught but berries, roots and an occasional, but very welcome, rabbit, only to be captured at the very cusp of safety."

"Barak, what is your opinion? Do you think we can find a path safely around this camp? As I see it, we have two choices, we stick close to the mountain, high on its slopes and skirt around them to the south, or, we work our way north, try and slip across the Liem River and then down the north bank. Trying to cross the Liem might not be possible, though we could double back and try and find a boat in one of the river thrans and then just float downstream. However, my preference is to stay on land and hug the mountain."

"If we do go that way, I think we should try and do it at dawn. If we travel in the full light of day, we can be seen. If we travel in the full dark at night, then we can't see."

"As Algared has mentioned, once we get past the Ibanvaalese, the next challenge is our own defences. Those, I am not so worried about. Jurri, I would look to you again. Once we feel we are safely past the Ibanvaalese, I suggest we return to paralleling the road. Once we find what we believe are our own defences, I would ask you to again take up your skald harp and drum and walk openly on the road, unarmed towards the defences. One, unarmed skald should not provoke anyone. Once you can talk to them and confirm they are Daas men, you can tell them who we are and that you have friends nearby and call us out of the woods."

Kugald looks around at Algared, Jurri, Borygg and Barak. "Thoughts or suggestions?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 am

"I'm as keen as anyone else to get home. I suppose trying to find a crossing higher in the mountains would be best. If we managed to find a crossing that happens to be unguarded by the Ibanvaalers then maybe we could lead a group back and take out the patrols and even the palisaded garrison in the rear. Though I imagine the biggest advantage would be in hopefully reducing the risk of alerting these dogs." Algared yawns dispite an effort to stiffle it. "Attempting to cross at dawn is a good idea though, I dont know about you Kugald but I'm beat. Not sure if I'm hungrier or more tired at present."

Last edited by Algared on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 am

"This river marks the edge of my hunting grounds. I am sure their is no path accross the river further upstream. Of course if we go far enough up in to the mountains it becomes no more than a stream, but that is a dangerous climb even at this time of year. I suspect if there was a ford the Dagen's men would have found it and would be guarding it. As for the Leim river, it is not fordable here, and there are no bridges near by."

"I believe we'll have to steal another boat."

"But for now I am hungry and tired. I can't do much about the first, but we should find somewhere safe to sleep, and I believe that means going up hill in to the woods."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 am

Algared shuffles to his feet once more, "Sooner we find a camp then the sooner we can find some forage, or fish and get some sleep." The last word seems to take on an almost etheral quality, "Lead on, Barak."

It isn't long before the weary band head towards the wooded hills where the trees and gullies will hide them. Algared also knows that just because they haven't heard sign of pursuit, it doesn't mean there is none still if they find a secure camp and have time enough to fish they may end up being able to sleep with full bellies and wake ready to attempt the last hurdle before getting home.

Quietly to himself he wonders where and when they will meet up with the Storzar, and feels frustrated that they were unable to do so and that the campaign while having moments of success, ultimately failed in the the desired goal as he understood them, ensure that Froyahiem was able to hold.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:55 am

Time: Mid 4th watch - Mid 5th watch

Barak turns and leads the warband back east back into the forest for a short distance. Then he turns south for only a few hundred yards before he is able to find a suitable campsite for the night.

The campsite sits in the lee of the northern facing cliff, a small creek not more than a yard wide runs nearby and there is ample timber about for a fire.

With enough food gathered Algared collects his cook pot and wanders towards the creek where he gathers enough water to provide the warband with a broth. Kugald and Barak go about erecting a shelter that should protect them from the darkening clouds that are now starting to gather in the northern skies, while Jurri and Borygg go about the task of collecting enough firewood for the night.

As the men bring Algared the firewood, he has gathered enough tinder to get a small fire started and as he gradually adds the wood to the fire he eventually has a fire hot enough to cook with. Concentrating on his cooking, Algared does not even notice the increasing amount of firewood that Jurri and Borygg have collected until the two men sit down next to the fire exhausted from their task.

"Do you need help" Borygg offers the two men erecting the shelter, Kugald looks to Barak who shakes his head, then Kugald replies "No, we are ok, I think we are nearly done!" and with a smile Borygg and Jurri enjoy the warmth of the fire. "What about you?" Jurri questions Algared "need anything?". Algared quickly scans around the camp and for the first time notices the collection of firewood before simply shaking his head.

By this time the two builders have put together a shelter that looks to provide enough protection from the coming storm. It looks sturdy and with a fresh lining of pine needles it looks quite comfortable as well.

It is not long after Borygg and Jurri have sat near the fire that they are joined by Kugald and Barak, leaving Algared to prepare the evening meal.

With Nolomar near the western horizon, the shadows in the forest are growing longer and longer and the temperature starts to drop as night begins to fall. It is not long before the faces of the warriors are lit by the light from the campfire alone.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:40 am

"I'd normally play some music, but with the enemy about..." Jurri begins. He'll offer to tell a few stories instead.

If he's taken up on the offer, he'll recite "Nilog's Challenge", a tale of a hero who is challenged to a series of tests by a strange little elf, who tries to trick him into giving up his treasure, but ends up winning a magical horn from the wicked creature.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:26 am

"So what are we doing on the morrow? Up in to the mountains? Try for a boat on the Leim river? Or is there a better plan?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 pm

"Barak, while I would rather avoid risking an encounter with a mounted patrol we'd likely want to try cutting out a boat at night for surely at dawn the boats will be launched for their days fishing. I say we either try the mountains unless you know from experience that will will not be able to find a crossing." Algared says as he listens to the talk and finishes preparing their meal. "At least we've food again tonight...." Algared looks up, "Barak do you think it will storm later? Maybe we should try cross the ford during the storm, certainly if its cold and wet we're likely to encounter a less eager watch.. though we'll want to get as much rest as we can before we start."

As the others discuss the various ideas Algared finishes then serves up the meal. Once he has eaten Algared turns in as soon as possible and sleep. By the watch roster he is due to take the third watch and wishes to be as rested as possible.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

"I have rarely been this far out, and have never needed to cross the river, I only hunt in Daaslund. So I don't know for certain that there is nowhere where we can cross, but I am not aware of a crossing point nor have I ever heard of one. The terrain is quite rough but not impassable, we'd have to take it slowly."

"I agree, if we want to liberate a boat it will need to be in the middle of the night. But, not this night."

"Are you sure no one will be able to see the smoke from that fire?"

Barak sniffs the air, listens to the wind, scans the sky, before giving his view on the forthcoming weather.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm

"If we keep dry wood on the fire and tend it carefully we should be able to keep it smokeless. Though careless will cause sparks and smoke to rise. I've also always preferred a blind to shield the fires glow. While I cannot be certain all we can do is try, though I had thought we were becomming rather adept at making camp." Algared says beteen mouthfuls of warm broth as the band eat their meal and contin ue to discuss their options.

"Well I think we should try work a way around by climbing higher. It will if we are successful men we can avoid the Dagen's men and open a way for men to pass If we can flank the Dagan's men in the future." Algared pauses and turns to Kugald and Jurri.

"When the Dagan's patrol abcuhed us on the banks of the Leim when we were returning from Froyaheim, were we in Dasslund. I thought we were but to be honest my memory is a little hazy now." Algared's inquiry raises the interest of both Kugalsd and Jurri and he continues, "The prisoners claimed they were searching the hill had got lost and eventually worked their way back. They must have at some point beein near hear or higher up. If we were attacked in Dasslund then it follows that their must be a passage or crossing."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm

"Or that the prisioners were lying" smiles Barak.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:33 pm

“So, personally, I don’t think stealing a boat to either crossing the Liem or floating downstream past the Ibanvaalese are very realistic options. Thus, I think sticking to the mountains is our best…if not only…option.”

“If my sense of distance and direction is right, I think that thran Abderheim is just a short distance to the west. The tributary is not a very big river. I think if we skirt the Ibanvaalese camp well to the south, we should be able to find a point upstream, deep in the woods, where we can cross without too much trouble. Once we are across, we should make for Abderheim will all possible speed.”

TTYL

- Kerry

[OOC: Neil: How wide and deep is the tributary? Since it is on the main road from Ygesdram to Froyaheim and the border of Daaslund, Kugald should have crossed it before.]

Post by GM The stretch of river that passes for the border between Storzarlund and Daaslund is in the vicinity of 10-15 yards wide it's depth is unknown but you vaguely remember that it is about 5'-6' and that it flows quickly that should a man loose his footing he will be carried away. As for the portion of the river that flows down from the mountains you know very little as you have not traversed that part of Daaslund
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:31 am

Algared wrote:"When the Dagan's patrol abcuhed us on the banks of the Leim when we were returning from Froyaheim, were we in Dasslund. I thought we were but to be honest my memory is a little hazy now." Algared's inquiry raises the interest of both Kugalsd and Jurri and he continues, "The prisoners claimed they were searching the hill had got lost and eventually worked their way back. They must have at some point beein near hear or higher up. If we were attacked in Dasslund then it follows that their must be a passage or crossing."

Jurri shakes his head and recites from his own poem about that very encounter...

"On the southern bank of Leim river, neath the shadow of the Kejerlian Mountains, our first battle in the defence of Storzarlund was fought....men of Daas stood like granite against the Ibanvaal invader....and it came to pass that Daaslund blood was spilt upon the fields of Storzarlund, forever tying the clans together..."

(Thanks for the info, Neil!)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 am

"Since everyone is tired I suggest we get to sleep early. What is the watch for tonight?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:50 am

"Well last night, Kugald was first, I was second and Borryg was third." Algared says, "By our usual roster Kugald would have the second watch and I the third while Borryg would have a full nights rest, so I'm going to get some sleep before I'm called for the third watch."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm

"Okay. I will have the first watch then."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:18 pm

"Sounds good, things will be clearer in the morning."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:06 am

I have amended the rivers description in Kugalds post based on some consultation with someone much more versed in such matters Very Happy
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 am

Time: Mid 5th watch - End 6th watch

By the light of crackling fire the warband relax after a day of hard marching, the evening meal finished and all the cooking equipment cleaned and packed away you each sit with your back against your pack.

Kugald and Jurri confer about the river that they must cross on the morrow. "If I recall" says Kugald "it is no more than 15 yards wide and about 6' deep" Jurri nods along with Kugalds description "the current though will carry you away should you loose your footing I should imagine too" adds Kugald. Jurri agrees "I have no idea what the bottom of the river would be like either".

"The ford though" says Kugald "is near the widest part of the river and so the flow is slower there. That would be the easiest section of the river to cross but it is now guarded"

With Kugald and Jurri discussing the river and with Barak and Borygg listening intently, Algared sits up and moves under the shelter where he prepares his sleeping gear and quickly drifts off to sleep.

With Barak preparing for the first watch the others take Algareds lead and move to the shelter and make their own necessary preparations for their nights rest. As Kugald moves to the shelter he says "Sounds good, things will be clearer in the morning"

The night is cold and now that the camp is in silence the noise of the forest can now be heard the swaying of the trees as the wind blows against them.

With the warband asleep except for Barak, the rain begins to fall it starts as a slow pitter patter with only the occassional rain drop being heard, but this gives Barak enough time to draw the hood of cloak over his head and find some shelter underneath a nearby tree. The dark clouds hide Yael from view this night casting the forest in blackness. Soon the frequency of the rain drops increases until it is a steady soaking rain.

Kugald is awoken by a dripping Barak for his turn on watch. Lifting his head wearily from his pack Kugald looks about and the rain is the first thing he notices as he prepares himself for his watch. The fire has been rained on and despite the efforts of the warband the firewood is slowing getting wet. The fire too is suffering under the constant attack by the rain as it spits and splutters trying to keep itself alive.

Taking a few pieces of wood Kugald places them on the fire in an effort to keep it alive.

The weather is extremely poor, the temperature is cold, the rain continue to fall and the wind blows in from the north west with some strength, the forest does provide some shelter from the wind and the hollow the warband are camping in also helps but the icy wind cuts through the men on watch.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down