From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

13 Peonu 720

+3
Barak Daas
Algared
GM
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

13 Peonu 720 Empty 13 Peonu 720

Post  GM Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:44 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - End 1st watch

With Barak nearing the end of his watch he wakes Kugald for his turn on watch.

Slowly rising Kugald takes his place near the fire and sets himself up for his turn on watch, the smell of roasting meat tickles his nose. Kugald spends his time between wandering the campsite and warming himself by the fire.

With Yael now in the western sky Kugald judges the time right to wake Algared for his turn on watch.

Wearily Algared crawls from his sleeping gear and prepares himself for his turn on watch. Like those before him Algared wanders the campsite before returning to the fire while there he checks the roast while warming himself from the nights chill.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

13 Peonu 720 Empty Re: 13 Peonu 720

Post  GM Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Time:End 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

A relieved Algared watches the coming dawn. The first rays of light fight back the darkness of the night. Algared allows the warband to rest a bit longer and Nolomar to rise a bit more to cast enough light on the campsite before waking his companions.

With the warband awakening the first thing that assails the senses is the smell of the roasting boar over the fire, then the morning light casts its tendrils about the camp and with weary eyes the warband rise and go about their morning routines.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:05 pm

As the band rise and carry out their morning routines Algared goes to the edge of the camp and seems to meditate for a while. Though it is obvious to all that he appears to be a little closer than he usually would be. Upon returning from his brief meditative state Algared helps each break their fast with liberal portions of roast port carved from the roast.

As they eat and enjoy their meal he says, 'I hope you all slept well. I cannot but say I was more than relieved to feel Nolmars warmth and light this morn. For when the night was coldest across the river I saw a man and he saw me. And never have I been filled with such a desire to flee as when I beheld him. Dressed in woolens and carrying spear and sheild with bags and pouches about his neck and waist he stood not more than thirty yards away on the far bank.. but he seemed to glow with Yael's light and yet yael was hiding behind the clouds, despite my fear I saluted the apparition for they were on Daaslund and after a moment while I watched he seemed to fade away as he moved back into the trees. I am not sure but if it were a Daaslander I suspect they are not of the living but what befell him that he wanders these hills I cannot say, for he appeared unhurt."

Algared looks to his companions for their thoughts.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:30 pm

"Could it have been a shaman hunter of the Yarili" muses Barak "Or perhaps one of their spirit-guilds or clan totem."

[OoC: Does Barak know any Folklore on glow-in-the-dark mountain hunters? It is the sort of story he may have picked up from other hunters]

Post by GM No your knowledge of the spirit world is extremely limited and does not cover such knowledge of glow-in-the-dark mountain dwellers Laughing
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 pm

"Maybe you should have offered him some stew," Jurri observes.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 pm

"Maybe I could have Jurri, though I must admit the desire to flee that had suddenly overcame me left me a little shaken, not to mention part of me was still seeing us separated by a stream and thus unable to meet. For my very first thought was he was a watch of the Dasslund. it was as I looked towards him, I had be headed towards the waters' edge, in the end I gave a friendly salute as one would a friend so also to avoid waking you for I hoped to avoid waking you all." Algared chuckles a little uneasily as then before adding. "At least after that encounter I felt more attentive and watchful. None the less I prayed to Ylina to give me understanding of this sight and the strength of will to stand when the fear filled me. And so I give her my thanks today for helping to strengthen my heart and will. I am sure she will also give us wisdom to learn who it was, what it was and why it was, but the way the apparition glowed and faded into the trees and the fear that made me desire to flee I will be honest, I have a feeling they were not living."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:12 am

"Well, I can only speak for myself, but if there is another unexpected visitor to the camp, and you have the choice, I'd rather be awakened. If it turns out to be nothing, I can always go back to sleep. On the other hand, if it turns out you need help, every second will count."

"Though I don't imagine a ghost would eat much, offering hospitality might avoid some of the bad luck it can bring. We should leave him some food in case he comes back."

Jurri will be sure to save a portion of his share of the food to set aside for the dead.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 am

"Hrmmm a far point Jurri, though the river separated offering hospitality would have been a moot gesture if we could not reach each other. I had at first thought they were a Daas lookout, being so lightly armed and they didn't strike as one of Neirin's folk, for he wore woolens rather than hide. Though I was frightened I must admit I am intrigued." Algared stands wiping his hands "I feel a desire to pray and give thanks for our many blessings today, if you will excuse me."

It is only as Algared stands that you realise that although he served large helpings of pork he has not eaten himself. Algared withdraws a little and can be heard singing softly as he prays and meditates giving thanks for his god's good graces to them and for their continued protection.

Last edited by Algared on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 am

Seeing that Algared has not eaten, Jurri smiles to himself, thinking: "We've been starving for days and now he decides to fast?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:19 am

"Pass me Algareds bowl" says Barak "for I am famished."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:42 am

Kugald listens to Algared's tale without speaking. He knows his cousin, he wouldn't make this sort of story up.

He listens intently. After he is finished a very big breakfast, he takes a walk down to the stream to wash his bowl and check on the level of the water to see if it has gone down at all and whether it is passable yet. While he is there, he looks very closely at the forest across the river, taking his time and scanning systematically to see if he can see anyone watching them.

He returns to the camp, where Barak is wolfing down a second bowl, and nudges him with his foot, playfully.

"Take your time, but when you are finished, we should do something about the trail you left last night." Looking around at the group, "Also, since we are going to stay another night, I think we should see if we can get some rest during the day. Given Algared's encounter, I think it is best if we take sentry duty in pairs tonight. If we rest during the day, we should still get enough sleep."

He looks over at Algared meditating and pauses for a moment, "I think we all need to get back to civilization. I would like to get a good night's sleep without having to worry that every little little sound could be someone sneaking up on me and planning to slit my throat....I think we all could."

Despite his large breakfast, Kugald pulls out his dagger and slices off a nice crispy bit of fat and slurps it down. His muscular body is craving it.

"So, shall we see what sort of trail our great hunter has left?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Leaving his friends to enjoy the fruits of their bounty Algared sits to pray. His mouth waters with the smell of roast boar and he finds himself smiling at Barak's intent to eat the whole boar in one sitting. Algared knows that fasting when their food is plentiful especially when they have seemed to be surviving on a few berries hear or there may seem strange. But then fasting is really only fasting when you have a choice.

It is some time before Kugald rises walks to the waters edge, and a little longer before his return when Kugald asks whether they should "check out' the trail left when hauling the boar back Algared stands. He looks about the camp and comments. "You want to break camp and we all head east to ensure the trail is diguised or are you thinking only some of go? I can see danger in both as well as advantages. The more who go the sooner the task will be completed similarly if some remain they may be more rested and be able to take the middle guard tonight."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:43 pm

When breakfast is finished: "I think it is best to camp here next to this possible ford, and disguise the trail leading here. I would value your help Borygg. It won't take long."

Barak heads off down the trail he left. It leads off to the south crossing up and down rocky ground, accross scree slopes, and through forested flatter areas. In places the trail can hardly be seen; but where is cross the leaf litter in the woods, a deep farrow left by the stave can be seen flanked by footprints, and the scree slopes shown new falls of gravel dislodged by barak passing the day before. After around two kilometers Barak gets to the end of the trail, and sets about systematicly covering it up: filling in the gouges using loose material pushed in with his foot and brushing new leaves over the scar, and deliberately crossing the wrong way over the loose scree to confuse anyone following, etc.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Algared examines the roast to determine how much is left, he will set another leg to roast, and removes the previous roast from the spit and carves the meat away to prepare a another stew. He will then settle down to clean his clothes and and equipment carrying out any repairs that are within his ability. Algared will assist around the camp when needed collecting dropwood to replenish the stock of firewood but he will also endeavour to rest and spend time in quiet reflection as he seeks to honour his god.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Borygg accompanies Barak back up his trail and helps to disguise it.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:06 am

It does not take you long to retrace your steps from yesterday and only a little longer covering up traces of your passing.

By mid morning you have returned to your campsite with the morning task completed.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:06 pm

"Right," says Barak "today is a day of make and mend". He gets out all his gear and inspects it for damage and wear. Anything that needs drying he hangs from a local bush or sapling. He then mends what he can and then sharpens his weapons and tools. By mid day he is ready for Algarads lunch. Once replete, he yawns and settles down for a nap with his back against a tree. "Kugald, wake me up when it is my turn to take a watch this afternoon."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:22 am

TIme: Mid 3rd watch - Mid 5th watch

The day passes by slowly as each of the warriors spends the hours lazing around the campsite. Each of the warriors takes the time to inspect their gear and repair any items that can. It is now you look upon yourselves and realise what a state you are in, your boots are covered in dirt and mud, they are scuffed and damaged.

You clothing is caked in dirt and muck, your tunics are wearing at the elbows and forearms, they are stained with sweat along the chest and armpits from your exhertions. Your leather leggings are scuffed on the knees and buttocks, woollen leggings have faired less well as they are worn through on the knees and have worn thin on buttocks.

Your hands have numerous small cuts upon them from the rugged terrain or the varios task you have been performing while out in the wilds. None of the cuts are big enough to affect your ability to use your hands and none of the small wounds look like they are serious enough that they might worsen.

Your equipment has faired just as badly, backpacks have lost fasteners, sleeping gear is dirty and beginning to wear too. As well as your numerous smaller items that have been used repeatedly while travelling that have now lost that nice new look to them....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:56 am

As dusk starts to decend Barak goes and checks on the level of water at the river.

[OoC: Does it appear to be diminishing?]

Before eating the boar that Algarad has prepared for supper. Before settling down for the night Barak considers what the next day with bring, sunshine or showers [OoC: Weatherlore] and asks Kulgald what the night's watch rota will be.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:15 am

Time: Mid 5th watch

It would seem that with each viewing the water level is subsiding.

Taking the time to study the sky Barak reckons on the morrow being dry but still cold with the wind predominately from the north.

There is enough boar to satisfy the warband for at least a day or two. However, the roasted leg has just about been picked clean.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Mulling his thoughts over as he settles down for the night, Barak says "With luck we'll be able to accross the river tomorrow. I am not sure how we're going to get our equipment accross dry. Borygg do you think your rope will be long enough to cross the river and back? I think not."

[OoC: Neil can you discribe the potential crossing point? What are the banks on either side like (sheer cliffs, rocky slopes, gentle muddy banks)? What is the river bed like (rocks, gravel, sand)? What is the flow like (smoth flow, rapids, waterfall just beyond the crossing etc).]

Post by GM The banks are reasonably steep and consist of both rocky slopes with a drop of several feet down a dirt incline. Indicating that this river can and does swell especially after a winter thaw and can run quick but the majority of the time it is a slow flowing river.

The river bed looks to consist of gravel with a few smaller rocks further into the water.

The flow is smooth and swift, not as swift as yesterday and has been slowing as the day progresses.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 am

[OoC: And does it appear to be deep (beyond waist depth)?]

[i]Post by GM From your current vantage point the middle of the river is dark and forboding - you cannot see the bottom. None of the warband have seen this section of the river before to be able to judge how high the water level nor what it will be. This is the best place you have found for crossing the river so far along the rivers length (or that part for which you have been looking).

[OoC: There is a "River Crossing" post in the meadhall]

Last edited by Barak Daas on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:00 am

Barak Daas wrote:Borygg do you think your rope will be long enough to cross the river and back? I think not."
Borygg eyes the stream then replies, "Hmm. I am not sure. It would be close." He'll look up and down river a little bit, searching for a tree (preferably one on the opposite bank) with a stout branch that overhangs the stream. He is thinking that he may be able to toss the hook over a branch and then swing across the stream.

OOC: The equipment list I have for Borygg says he started out with 15 feet of rope and that he picked up an additional 30 feet in Nyron. If that is accurate, he could splice them together and have a line long enough to throw across the stream and secure to something close to either bank. If that is not accurate and he has only the 30' rope he got in Nyron, it really isn't long enough to go across a 10-yard-wide stream.

Post by GM The best part of the 30' of rope was used to carry out repairs on the rigging etc of the fishing boat you took from Nyron when the boat ran aground taking some rigging damage which with the skills of the warband were easily repaired but did use up a large portion of the rope - with the 15' you brought with you, there is about half left from the rope taken in Nyron giving you two lengths of 15' each....
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 am

Time: Mid 5th watch - End 5th watch

Having spent the day cleaning and repairing your gear, certain other jobs have come up during the day, collecting more firewood, gathering water and some general camp maintenance.

Now with darkness arriving, Algared declares his roast boars haunch ready, a stew simmers on the fire from the leftovers from the first boars leg as well.

There has been little activity during the day around your camp, apart from the usual animal life, birds come and go in the treeptops above and small insects and the like can be heard throughout the day. There has been no sign of last nights visitor nor anything to indicate who he is or what might have happened to him.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:40 am

By the end of the of the fifth watch Barak is snoring away to himself. He has forgotten all about the ghoul of the previous night.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next