From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28 Nuzyael 720

+2
Algared
GM
6 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

28 Nuzyael 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 28 Nuzyael 720

Post  Algared Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:27 pm

"My jarl" Algared says and waits until acknowledged, "As Jurri has said we do not know if these invaders have yet indeed succeeded in their claims or if they are merely sending this force back to protect the Benata pass and the lush lands of Froyby that have long been the breadbasket of Menglana, and now help support the Ibanvaal army, we need to be certain of the details. It also seems if we stay here we will be penned like hares in their burrows when the ferrets are let loose, moving our force by boats and rafts to the other side of the river may enable us to find out if Froyaheim stands or falls and possibly reinforce, relieve or retake the thranhold. However, we should also ensure that what suuplies remain are destroyed, and the places we have fought for are burned and the lands scroched. A small force could ensure this was completed and then retreat the way we came being tasked with guarding the narrow passes.

Or we could send a small band with the task of disrupting supplies along the Benata pass. Though Whatever we do we should make every Ibanvaal dogs rue the day they dared invade Menglana or raised spears against the Daas. Do not forget brothers and friends that the Ibanvaal invaders attacked Daaslund along the liem river.

My jarl, my spear, shield, sword and life are yours I will go or stand where you ask. Some have asked who will stay because of a wish to be able to protect family later, I have no wives as yet, I will gladly volunteer for any task that will aid this host."

Algared stops, knowing there will be jeers because of his lack of fighting skill or even because he is skorri's left handed son, but he isn't worried, no matter what the decided Algared wishes his jarl and cousin to know where his loyalty lies.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:55 pm

And so the chatter ebbs and flows around the assembled warband. No one seems to deny anyone's right to speak and all seems to be going along in an orderly fashion.

When talk of leaving small bands of warriors behind to harrass the Ibanvaal supply lines a older man perhaps in his early thirties, his face you recognise but his name escapes you all for now answers "and who will feed you while you plan on harrassing supply lines, and to march into Ibanvaal itself is pure folly, you may as well fall upon your swords now and be done with it"

Some of the men standing around him nod in agreement, while others seem to ponder that thought for awhile.

Cunate listens to the points being made and then holds his hand up and calls for silence "When we first left Ygesdram it was to aid my friends clan Storzar" he pauses for a moment and adds "our aim was to divert Ibanvaal away from Froyaheim, if four thousand men now march against us, we must consider that our aim is met. We are but a few compared to the army against us now, I will not throw one mans life away without good cause." Again he pauses this time for awhile longer "Do I throw away one hundred spearmen in the hope that they might survive long enough to deal real harm to our invaders when those same one hundred spearmen may well mean a defence of our thran"

The Daas stops talking and seems to be in thought for a little while then adds "I will give everyone assembled here a day to consider our plan of action, we will meet back here again on the morrow and vote on our course of action, I suggest you each give it some good hard thought as our very lives depend on it!"

With that Cunate turns and departs the meeting with his huscarls in tow, many of the men remain behind to discuss this turn of events.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:52 am

"It sounds like we've got the day to ourselves. Anyone want to try their hand at hunting? I hear the game is good to the North."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 am

Barak Daas wrote:"It sounds like we've got the day to ourselves. Anyone want to try their hand at hunting? I hear the game is good to the North."
Sure, Barak, I'll go along. It will be good to get out away from the smells of this many men.
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 am

Barak and Borygg turn and head back towards the thranhold, leaving Kugald, Algared, Vidar and Jurri chatting with some of the other men.

An older man approaches it is the man who spoke out earlier, he is dressed in a well worn wollen cloak, underneath he wears a serge tunic of moderate cut a leather vest and leather leggings, at his hip he wears a dagger and a sword, he also has two throwing axes tucked into his belt.

Two men flank him they are similiarly dressed and armed.

He walks straight towards Jurri "What makes you think we will find out if Froyaheim has fallen, the thran lies a good two days at least by road and you won't be able to use them! Marching straight into the mouth of the lion."

The man stops and waits for his words to register...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 am

GM wrote:He walks straight towards Jurri "What makes you think we will find out if Froyaheim has fallen, the thran lies a good two days at least by road and you won't be able to use them! Marching straight into the mouth of the lion."

The man stops and waits for his words to register...

Jurri will look at the man for a moment. (OOC: Can he remember his name, or anything at all about him?)

"Because brave hearts will find a way to do what must be done. What makes you think we will not?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:58 am

No his face is familiar - in that you have seen him around Ygesdram and it's surrounds but his name escapes you.

"Brave hearts" he says questioningly "the fields are strewn with brave hearts, what our Jarl needs now are smart ones!" the man stops for a moment and then turns to one of his companions "Herl, go and fetch some drink for us, please" the man nods his head and then heads towards the thranhold, then turning to his other companion "Daarlen, do you think you might be able to rustle up something for us to sit on", "good man" he adds as the man nods and sets off to find some seating.

"I believe we have not formally been introduced" the man says holding his hand out in friendship "I am Jonaar" as the introductions are made he takes the hand of any that is offered in greeting
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 am

Jurri will take his hand, introducing himself and his companions to Jonaar.

"So, tell us your idea, then, Jonaar. I don't believe I have heard it."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:15 am

Prior to Jonaar's arrival, Vidar retires away from the party to pray.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 am

Kugald puts out his hand as well and takes a seat.

"I too, would welcome any better ideas."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:12 am

Vidar leaves the group and for a short time follows the path of Barak and Borygg.

He veers off to the south east following a well worn path to a low walled building located to the south east of the thran.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 am

Jonaar shrugs his shoulders. "I think the Daas would welcome a better idea too!"

"I think our little warband is now caught between a rock and hard place, to the north an army of more than six thousand men and perhaps a surrendered Froyaheim, to the east the homeland of our enemy, to the south the road we have just travelled and tenday march through mountains that we found a hard journey when we were fresh, let alone now with nearly a months campaigning under our belts" he pauses " and to the west a march more or less straight into the mouth of our adversary"

Just as Jonaar finishes speaking Daarlen reappears with several stools balanced nicely upon a bench as he hands the first stool to Jonaar and then one to Kugald, he then passes the bench to Algared to share with Jurri, while taking the last stool for himself.

"Perhaps we could take the boats from the thrans to the south and mount a raid large enough to capture the thran there" pointing across the river to the thran of Tronad "then we might be able to crew enough of the vessels to get the rest of the men across the river and save the rest several days of hard marching"

"I do think your idea of a rear guard might be of little use though" he says this as he raises his right hand "I mean no disrespect when I say that, because an army of the size that Ibanvaal will march with will have several hundred men on horseback I think, and will soon not only find themselves extremely outnumbered but extremely cut off as well. No point in a rear guard that can not guard the rear."

As Jonaar talks Herl reappears bearing two jugs of mead and several tankards tied around his waist. He pulls up next to Jonaar and offers him the first drink, then Kugald, Algared, Jurri then himself and Daarlen.

"Care to develope your ideas further?" Jonaar asks
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 am

"So, you suggest we cross the river, then?" Jurri asks, trying to clarify the essence of Jonaar's idea. He has absolutely no intention of offering information to this man until he knows more about him. If his companions happen to look (and Jurri will effect some minor action such as scratching his beard, straightening his cloak, etc. to draw their view), they might notice that Jurri has gone almost completely expressionless as he listens to Jonaar -- an uncharacteristic event for the skald, but not anything to draw the suspicion of anyone not familiar to him.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 am

Jonaar shrugs again.

"I don't see any easy way out for any of us" taking a mouthful of mead as he says this. He stretches his back as his view turns to the west towards the thran of Tronad. "If we are going home we are going to have to cross the river at some stage" he adds almost as an after thought.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 am

Algared like Kugald takes Jonaar's offered hand in friendship, "If we cross the river and take all the boats we have seen this side, we may also be able to ascertain whether Froyahiem has fallen or not, though I'd still want to destroy the fortifications here if that is possible may save Menglana a seige later on. If they rebuild it again then all the better let them use the manpower and resources."

Algared smiles and sips the mead he is offered, "but then cousin, I am not the military genious here." Algared sits now listening and responds only if asked as Kugald and the older Jonaar speak.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Jonaar listens intently as Algared speaks "I fear we may never lay eyes on Froyaheim, what matter anyway, if it has not fallen yet, it will eventually" Jonaar sounds dispondent as he finishes his sentence.

Looking at Algared, Jonaar says "So if it is a military genius you are not, what by Sarajin's beard do you do, I know you are Skorri's son and around Ygesdram I have seen you, but I cannot for the life of me recall what trade it is you do?"

Jonaar looks to Jurri "perhaps a petition to our King may bring some help, unfortunately, the Storzar and our King are not on speaking terms, so the chance for that happening are poor at best, perhaps delegations to other Jarls may bring some support, but I fear any aid may arrive to late for the Storzar and perhaps for our Jarl as well"

"Forgive me" Jonaar adds "I paint a very dim picture for you" he smiles slightly "at my age the optimsim of youth has well and truely waned"

"It might be easiest just to retrace our steps back through the mountains and if we are pursued ambush our attackers and perhaps lay some false trails to misguide them"

Draining his mead Jonaar says "I tend to prattle some as ideas ebb and flow in my head"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 pm

"I have travelled far and studied learning a little of piloting, but also becoming a member of a guild of scholars, sadly better at keeping books and taking a hand at the helm of a vessel when required. During my travels i became a member of the guild of arcane lore, a guild that seeks to understand ancient arts , a jack of numerous trades but a master of none." Algared shrugs, at prresent I am a loyal spear to the Jarl.

as for seeing our way out of this, well some of us may fall but we will see it through I'm thinking....

You'll forgive me though, for although I have seen you often I cannot recall your profession either friend."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Kugald listens to Jonaar’s ideas.

“I think we have met before Jonaar. I am Kugald, weaponcrafter, journeyman of Jorri, uncle’s son (i.e. first cousin) to the Daas.”

“You think clearly and bring up some interesting points. I agree with most of them.”

“I think my proposal is a start, but we may need to go further.”

“We can begin with denying Froyby to the enemy. Like most Menglanan thranholds, it has a wooden palisade and wooden buildings. They will burn well. I recommend gathering all the boats we can for the river crossing. We can also disassemble some buildings to get what we need to make rafts. We will have to burn the rest.”

“I recommend that we gather up the people of Froyby and evacuate them as well. Without shelter or labour, the thran will provide precious little support to the Ibanvaalese.”

“We should take all the animals and food we can carry easily. We will have to burn what remains. The other small thrans should be burned to the ground as well.”

“It is a harsh plan, but we can’t just think of the people of Froyby, we must think of Ygesdram and Menglana as a whole. If the Ibanvaalese get a firm foothold in our country, their boots will soon be pressing down on all our necks.”

He pauses for a moment.

“Your point on the rear guard is well taken. If there is no point in leaving behind a small force, then the army should stay together and do the forced march of their lives. The refugees from Froyby and the other thrans will have to follow as quickly as they can.”

“If we do find some boats from the other thrans, then we should consider sending messengers to the King. The messengers could take a boat as far as the pilings across the river at Froyaheim. The messengers would be able to see for themselves what has happened there. Then, they abandon their boat above the pilings, sneak along the west side of the Froya River downstream to Oderstad or Soliheim and steal another boat. From there, they make like the wind down river past Ygesdram, on to Myna where they ask our fellow Daas clansmen to send help to Ygesdram. Finally, we sail on to Vulenheim and take our news and appeals to the King.”

“Your thoughts?”

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 am

Jonaar turns to Algared "Aye, you may have seen my face around, I have had a few dealings with your father, I captain a small trading vessel along the rivers"

Then he listens as Kugald speaks "The locals of Froyby, those that did not march against Froyaheim are probably over there" as he points towards the thran of Tronad. "this thran was empty when we arrived"

He continues to listen every now and then he casts a glance to Jurri whose counternance has changed since they have met.

"As for supplies I reckon there is less than a tenday worth of food left here, perhaps less, so we will have to move at some stage, we can't stay here till winter"

He seems to ponder a thought as Kugald speaks "I have noticed that there have been few men of warrior age left behind except for garrisons, so what if they be off sieging Froyaheim, will there resolve be strenghtened or weakened if we were to cart off all their family members. What of these refugees once they reach Ygesdram, we could not possibly house them should the thran be sieged nor could we take care of them should winter come"

Jonaar sits forwards huching his shoulders, his two companions have been quiet as the conversation continues. Herl speaks up "I have seen no one tending the fields since we have been here, insteading of burning every thran to the ground, which will give the Dagen more influence over these people (look your rescuers burnt your thran to the ground and took your families) perhaps they will suffer enough during winter due to a lack of good crops"

"The Prince knows we are here now, so I think the river is best left alone, if Froyaheim is being sieged still then the Ibanvaal will have the river guarded against any such actions and if worse still Froyaheim has fallen then trying to sail past the thranhold will be a death wish"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 am

GM wrote:Jonaar turns to Algared "Aye, you may have seen my face around, I have had a few dealings with your father, I captain a small trading vessel along the rivers"

"What vessel is that?"

"Just a smal knarr that plys it's trade along the Leimenford" Jonaar answers "I doubt you have heard of her - the 'Stelt' is her name". Jonaar turns his attentions back to Algared "a pilot hey!" he scratches at his chin "are you still apprenticed or are you now a master?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Kugald's says very little as he asks to Jonaar's comments, allowing him to say his piece.

"My intent was not to take the families of the Ibanvaalese with us, only Menglanan families. If there are none, then we take none."

After Herl's comments that burning will give the Dagen influence, Kugald smiles. "Influence? Influence over who? Jonaar here has already pointed out that the locals of Froyby have already fled. Besides, everyone here knows how a viking raid goes. No one will be surprised if we burn it to the ground. Besides, it will deprive the Ibanvaalese of a warm dry place to sleep."

"Let them sleep in the cold...or in Froyaheim. I still say burn it to the ground! Leave NOTHING for the Ibanvaalese. If I could, I would sneak in and start Froyaheim on fire too and burn it down around the heads of the invaders."

He looks back to Jonaar. "Well, you seem to have discounted my plan. What's yours?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:"My intent was not to take the families of the Ibanvaalese with us, only Menglanan families. If there are none, then we take none."

"I understood you, Kugald, I was referring to the Menglanan families, you will probably find that most the men of fighting age both Ibanvaal and Menglanan are in or around Froyaheim right now"

Kugald Daas wrote:After Herl's comments that burning will give the Dagen influence, Kugald smiles. "Influence? Influence over who? Jonaar here has already pointed out that the locals of Froyby have already fled. Besides, everyone here knows how a viking raid goes. No one will be surprised if we burn it to the ground. Besides, it will deprive the Ibanvaalese of a warm dry place to sleep."

Herl shrugs his shoulders "With most of the spring and summer to rebuild I don't think that will bother them, but then again, at least it should annoy them!" Herl takes the last mouthful of mead from his tankard and then refills it, offering the near empty jug around to any that wish to fill their cup.

Kugald Daas wrote:"Let them sleep in the cold...or in Froyaheim. I still say burn it to the ground! Leave NOTHING for the Ibanvaalese. If I could, I would sneak in and start Froyaheim on fire too and burn it down around the heads of the invaders."

He looks back to Jonaar. "Well, you seem to have discounted my plan. What's yours?"

Jonaar pauses as he considers his answer "I have not discounted any plan. As for my plan, right now, not sure I have one"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Daarlen joins in the conversation by saying "So what are our options then" placing his right index finger against his left index finger "First, remain here and wait for the Ibanvaal army to arrive and put us all to the sword - bad idea" placing his right index finger against his left middle finger "Second, march back the way we came through the mountains with about eighty families in tow, burning every thran along the way" again he stops to consider the idea "it was a hard slog through the mountains there is no denying, might be worth considering but not with the families in tow"

Daarlen then pauses "what was the third option, AH yes" placing his right index finger against his left ring finger "make our way over to the far side of the river and march that way back home" he pauses to give any the chance to add to it before continuing "seems we would be marching straight into the mouth of the dragon, to me" he adds "if Froyaheim is under siege it seems reasonable to assume that the Dagen would control both banks of the river and the situation would be even worse if Froyaheim has fallen"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 pm

GM wrote:"Just a smal knarr that plys it's trade along the Leimenford" Jonaar answers "I doubt you have heard of her - the 'Stelt' is her name". Jonaar turns his attentions back to Algared "a pilot hey!" he scratches at his chin "are you still apprenticed or are you now a master?"

"Well I eouldn't dare claim to be a master nor even a journeyman. Within the scholars guild it was lore it was required learning to help understand how the how even a great vessel and a the force of an ocean can be controlled somewhat by the rudder.."

After Jonaar and Kugald and others speak Algared counters, "Yes they will have most of the spring and summer to rebuild if we burn everything down, but rebuilding takes time and costs manhours and those men eat supplies. As there is nothing here, they would need to transport the supplies across the Beneta pass or trade for it. It is going to cost the Ibanvaalese a lot of silver to rebuild andat least some time. If they decide to rebuild while keeping a army in the feild they will be forced to reduce their main host to both provide the guards and builders. Just because they can rebuild before winter doesn't mean burning all to the ground is a bad idea. Not to mention when the Menglanan army returns to reclaim the region if the denfences are ont rebuilt or completed then they are at a greater disadvantage. yet leaving the fortifications in place and so enablingling them to reinforce those defences ould not be wise either.

Yes we went to war to help our friends the Storzers, but like it or not we are at war with Ibanvaal now anything we do that hurts impedes their assaults on Menglana, and Daaslund is surely worthwhile. The question is what is possible or what would be required to achieve that while also enabling our host to withdraw from this position."

Algared pauses, "If Froyby still holds and a large ibanvaal host comes this way it may be we have achieved our goal and a slow retreat back the way we came would be also for the best. Aloowing our allies the time to be gather and fall upon the rear. But then if no help comes we must either return to the mountain pass or follow another path from the valley if one exists." Algared shrugs as the others ponder the apparent options available to them.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:42 am

As you sit and chat you notice that Barak and Borygg have returned, they are carrying their hunting equipment.

Jonaar adds "With an army of over ten thousand, leaving a few behind to rebuild might make no difference at all - who knows" he ponders for a moment "if Menglana will not unite then he will defeat each clan piecemeal anyway."
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next