From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Nuzyael 720

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

1 Nuzyael 720 Empty 1 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:56 am

Our group awakens on the first day of the New Year to find the thran shrouded in a thin fog. The morning air is cold and the light winds blow in from the north east biting through the warm layers of clothes. As you go about your daily duties you find the thran is still as busy as ever despite the feeling of dread and uncertainty hanging over the thran.

Kugald is spending the morning attending to men wanting minor repairs done to weapons and armour. Algared finds himself spending the morning down at the docks watching the fisherman leave to bring in the days catch. Hovik spends the mornng in the company of Hervold preparing treatments and such in the likely event that battle is soon met. Thorin takes his place at the thran gates this morning taking his turn on watch. Neirin and Jurri both spend time around the Grebel clanhouse, Neirin is kept close by Kelsi given the recent events with clan Gerherbt, while Jurri is practicing his muscal talents, much to the delight of those around the clanhouse. Madrin spends the morning with Skorri hearing another of his stories of unfair treatment and has to determine whether there is merit to his case that warrents a hearing with the Valhakar.

During the 3rd watch each of the companions is summoned to attend the greathall, indeed something of note around the thran and word soon spreads about this event.

You are all assembled in now empty great hall. The warmth from the hearth fire soon takes the chill of the morning out of your bodies. As you stand waiting the members of the thrangaard soon begin to assemble, as the enter from the main doors to the great hall, few words are spoken between them and there is no real exchange apart from the curtious nodding of their heads in acknowledgement of each others presence, they without hesitation take their designated seats and look on with what appears to be as much intrigue as you at the moment. Once the thrangaard are assemble from door on the right emerges a tall, bearded and well dressed man, immediately identifiable as Cunate Daas. Several parchments are in his hands and what looks like a map is rolled up under his arm. He takes his place in his seat on a raised dias. As he enters the room everyone stands until Cunate has taken his seat and then all except you are seated.

Cunate motions your group forward so that you stand with members of the thrangaard seated to your left and right with Cunate directly in front of you. Leaning forward the Daas says "I have an urgent task for you to undertake. With the Leim River now flowing I fear that my friend Storzar will now feel the Ibanvaal boot tread heavy upon his holdings. I will not be able to send aid to him until later in the spring and I fear that by this time it will be to late." he pauses as he casts a look around the assembled thrangaard.

There are looks of disgust from several of the thrangaard, but what strikes is you is that several of thrangaard appear to be smiling. The Valhakar of clan Gerherbt and Skorri Daas the most obvious.

"I need you to take my waverider and sail to Froyaheim and pass on this news."

Cunate stands and as he does so, so to do all the thrangaard, the Daas takes several steps and then offers to Madrin several sealed letters. "Take these, the first is for the Valhakar of clan Storzar, the second is for my sister Busla, wife to the Valhakar and the third is to my son currently serving as a huscarl with the Storzar household."

"Time is short so I will need you to be ready to sail on the morning tide tomorrow, do you have anything to ask of me?" the Daas finishes and retakes his seat and in so doing so does the rest of the thrangaard.

Last edited by GM on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

1 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 1 Nuzyael 720

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Kugald looks left and right at his assembled companions before deciding to ask a few questions.

Milord, none of us are experienced sailors or pilots. Will Sheld Daas and his crew man the boat?

Once we have reached Froyaheim and delivered your letters, what should we do then?

Are there any verbal messages you wish us to deliver, in addition to the letters?

Kugald bows politely and waits for the Valhakar's response.

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:50 pm

The Valhakar smiles and looks at the other members of the thrangaard.

"Indeed Sheld and his crew will man the boat, while I entrust you and your companions with this task I don't think you are ready to command such a boat the waverider." Cunate pauses for a moment and then continues.

"I should expect the Storzar will want to reply to my letter, so to will my sister and son in all probability, so you shall stay until such time as the Storzar sees fit to return you to me." Cunate stops and lowers his head in thought before continuing "I think he will be unimpressed with our intentions and will not take lightly your message so I think it best you offer no verbal message, lest it be misunderstood."

Cunate sits and awaits any further questions....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:08 pm

GM wrote:There are looks of disgust from several of the thrangaard, but what strikes is you is that several of thrangaard appear to be smiling. The Valhakar of clan Gerherbt and Skorri Daas the most obvious.

Jurri will say nothing for now, but will pay attention to the expressions of the various members of the thrangaad and how they react to any questions, or to the valhakar's answers.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Madrin takes the letters and places them under his arm.

"A few questions if I may?"

"It seems that this mission, while simple, is rather delicate considering the information we are delivering. May I ask why you have brought" Madrin looks around at his companions "together a group of journeyman? I would never wish to give offence to yourself Milord, but might not the Storzar Valhakar be somewhat... upset... by such news being delivered by us?"

"Also, would I be correct in assuming that there may be some trouble? We are quite a large group for a missive."

Bowing low "Again, I do not mean to give offence Milord"

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:33 pm

"Because if the Storzar in a fit of rage decides to have you all drawn and quartered then I have not lost much!" Cunate says with a bluster as he bursts into a fit of laughter.

The assembled thrangaard also break into laughter.

After waiting a moment the smile soon disappears from Cunate's face as he continues "No, young wyrdsman my reasons are my own for why I send such as you on this task."

"As for why I have selected such a large group, well, I should think that whatever should befall you on this journey at there will be one who will be able to pass on those letters." Cunate says while pointing the letters that Madrin now holds.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

1 Nuzyael 720 Empty re: 1st Nuzyeal, 720

Post  Algared Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:55 pm

A slight sile shows on the corners of Algared's lips as Kugald steps to the fore speaking first to their Cousin regarding the mission. It is so like the youth who lead their adventurers as children. Still the frowns among many of the Thrangaard contrasted by the grins of his father and and the Valhaker Gerherbt seem significant. Do they grin as conspirators who have clipped the Valhaker Cunate's wings or because they see problems being dealt with. It is known that since the loss of the men in the winter Gerherbt has been seeking restitution or revenge. And my father, well is he happy and relieved I am selected and have a chance to be a man, or is he merely glad to see the back of Madrin, whose grasp of the law that has so unsettled his plans.

Algared listens as the others speak, and nods perceptively as madrin asks what purpose for sending journeymen and youths on such an important missive. A lesser lord may well view the news we will bring as an insult and betrayal, yet surely Kugald an my inclusion indicate Cousin Cunate's desire to stress his hands were tied.

Algared ponders the situation and watches his father, Skorri for a moment, as though seeking to discern the reason for his smile.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Froyaheim! Am I in Jarlak's maw, that I can't escape my past? Froyaheim is a huge step back towards Froyby and thralldom. Surely he'll be recognized there by refugees from Froyby, and his brief half-freedom will be over.

Still, he can't turn down the Valhakar. He'd have no friends left in Ygesdram, and he'd be branded a coward. He'll have to take his chances with the party. And looking around at his companions, he realizes that those are pretty slim chances!

Hovik says nothing, and simply follows along.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:17 am

Madrin Nods in deference to his Valhakar.

"Very well Jarl. My companions and I will see these messages delivered, and nothing, except dining with Sarajin, will keep us from this quest"

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 am

Cunate smiles and stands. The thrangaard quickly stands as well. Cunate says "Very well I take you on your word and hold you to it!"

Gathering up the other parchments and map he had brought in with him, he turns and exits the great hall.

The thrangaard begins to disperse also while several of the thrangaard remain behind and chat with muted voices. Only whispers can be heard but it appears that the Daas' decision to let Froyaheim fall has caught them by surprise.

Your group is lead out of the great hall and out into the thran. As you enter the light of day you notice that the fog has all but lifted. A small girl named Asgerd, one of Cunate's daughters chases geese across the thran compound.

As your group stand about pondering your next step, Thaldirs Daas, the leader of the clans huscarls approaches. His voice commands you to follow and so you fall in along side Thaldirs as he leads you back to the thrans gates. Once he has cleared the great hall, while still walking he says to all of you "While waiting for the audience with the Storzar you will be approached by one of Storzar's huscarls he will introduce himself as Ingolf Storzar, to him you will say and to him only, say "We come!".

Thaldirs stares at all of you for a moment, gauging your reactions. With a nod he adds "Now gather your belongings we do not have much time." as the warband depart through the gates of the thran Thaldirs adds in a louder voice "and don't forget to say your farewells before you leave tomorrow!" before he turns and walks back towards the thran.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

1 Nuzyael 720 Empty Re: 1 Nuzyeal 720

Post  Algared Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:30 am

GM wrote:As your group stand about pondering your next step, Thaldirs Daas, the leader of the clans huscarls approaches. His voice commands you to follow and so you fall in along side Thaldirs as he leads you back to the thrans gates. Once he has cleared the great hall, while still walking he says to all of you "While waiting for the audience with the Storzar you will be approached by one of Storzar's huscarls he will introduce himself as Ingolf Storzar, to him you will say and to him only, say "We come!".

Algared nods, watching the reactions of the small warband. Over the long winter specualtion and rumour had assumed, had declared ,the clan would go to the Storzar's aid. Yet spies and agents of Ibanvaal may well have scouted and even be now awaiting news of the Daas decision. Documents may be captured, but these two words seem to be the real message, we come.

Still was my father sharing the Valhaker's plan, or believing he had achieved some private goal. hopefully my companions will realise that this message is one that must be spoken of even to friends and family. whome we must farewell this night for on the morrow we are off with all haste.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 am

As the warband stand around outside the thrans gates...

From Madrin

Turning to his companions Madrin introduces himself.

"Although we know of each other, I think it prudent that we retire somewhere to discuss our merits. It wouldnt do for us to be stuck in a pitched battle with no knowledge of each others abilities, or be in need diplomacy and not know who is best served to deal with it."

"Out of all Journeymen in the clan holdings, there seems to be a reason we were all chosen."
Madrin waits expectantly for responses from his newly aquired 'friends'

From Algared

Smiling Algared, claps a hand upon Madrin's back.

"No bout my friend you know of me, I am no great warrior or wyrdsman. None the less I have recnetly completed an apprenticeship within the Guild Arcane Lore. Whilst away on my apprenticeship I gained some skill as a pilot, but would be loathe to be pilot of a vessel unless there was dire need, and I have learnt that a warm meal is always better than cold rations.'
Algared chuckles before contuning, 'though do not expect what I can prepare in the cauldron to rival the Thranhall's fare. And hope I will am skilled and adequate enough to the task if required to draw upon my learning and employ some of the ancient lore to assist that may assist us though these are often tiring and leave one drained.

A wastrel and ill-omen I have been called but i am one of our Valhaker's first cousins and so I imagine my part in our little adventure is to show our lords seriousness in that he sends his kin.'

From Jurri

Jurri acknowledges both Madrin and Algared, and introduces himself as well.

"Well met, all of you. I am Jurri the Skald. Though the valhakar's reasons for choosing me remain his own, I hope my skills can serve us as well."

He takes out his harp and strums it lightly as he walks.

"Let us find warmth and a table at the meadhall. Perhaps there we can discuss this fate we now share?"

From Algared

Algared looks around at his companions and tries to ensure no others are listening then says, 'Indeed Jurri well met and I am sure you tales and soothing tunes will be most welcome on cold nights, however we would do well to discuss not our mission where prying ears can hear,' then turning to defer to his older cousin says, 'Would you not agree Kugald?'

From Jurri

Jurri smiles and poses the question just loud enough to be heard by his companions:

"Ah, wise counsel indeed! I wonder, though, would it not be better to let prying ears hear what we wish them to hear? By morning, word of our mission will likely be on its way to several other halls. Remember, we were instructed to say our goodbyes. We can introduce ourselves anywhere, of course. If you prefer the cold..."
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 am

As the warband are standing near the thran gates, Sweld Storzar, the son of the Jarl of Froyaheim, Erling Storzar approaches and he looks rather irate.

As he nears he says "Is it true? You carry a message to my father telling him we dare not aid him."

He looks at each of you in turn, the rage seems to be building as he talks.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 am

Madrin looks at Sweld and then at his companions before answering.

"I do not wish to cause offence Sweld, but if such information has reached your ears, then I would advise that you seek the Jarl's audience to discuss it. Might I also suggest that your rage, whilst completely understandable after such information, will not aid you overwell when speaking to the Valhakar."

Placing both hands in front of himself arms extended palms outwards towards Sweld, Madrin continues.

"Please Sweld, calm yourself. It is true we carry missives to froyaheim, but as to what they contain.. well, I am not sure of my Valhakars intention for this informations dispersion. And, furthermore, if I was to know the content of the missives and be able to relay them, I would certainly be in no position to answer any questions that may come of it. Again, please seek out the Jarl for these queiries my friend."

Madrin hopes that Sweld will understand that it is not for Madrin to tell of his valhakars plans and that he sees reason and will consult with Cunate regarding what he has heard.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:26 pm

"I do not want to know the message that you carry for that is not my concern, Madrin, but what concerns me is whether or not the Daas intends to aid my kin. I sense by your lack of an answer that no aid shall be coming." Sweld appears to calm down a little as he continues "Perhaps Wyrdsman, you can tell me then, to where do my loyalties lie. Do I honour my word to the Daas and turn my back on my clan or do I as the Ljarl confirms and honour my clan above all else."

"Tell me Wyrdsman what would you do?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:23 pm

Neirin stands quietly among his new companions. He knows his own role. It was all too clearly written upon the face of the Valhakar of clan Gerherbt. There is hardly a need for a hunter and guide for a voyage at sea (just the thought of which disturbs Neirin greatly), which means that Neirin is being sent along so that he will not come back. He does not begrudge this vengence of clan Gerherbt. If their places were reversed Neirin might do the same.

Perhaps the smile of the Valhakar was for other reasons though. For the task ahead of them, the group carried several messages, on parchment and by word of mouth. But which were true and which were false? The trickery of the invaders always mystified Neirin. If they could simply say what they meant then there would surely be less misunderstanding among them.

For his part, Neirin will accompany the group to whatever end. It is another step along the path laid out for him by Husraal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Neirin wrote:Neirin stands quietly among his new companions. He knows his own role. It was all too clearly written upon the face of the Valhakar of clan Gerherbt. There is hardly a need for a hunter and guide for a voyage at sea (just the thought of which disturbs Neirin greatly), which means that Neirin is being sent along so that he will not come back. He does not begrudge this vengence of clan Gerherbt. If their places were reversed Neirin might do the same.

Hovik grins at Neirin. "You think too much of it, my friend. We were chosen because we were expendable from the thran's defenses. I'm sure the Daas simply wanted to make sure Madrin had enough escort to be sure of success, and after choosing Kugald and Thorin, simply looked around to see who wouldn't be missed from the shieldwall. That would be Hovik and Neirin, for sure! And it's to our good fortune - a chance to get away from the boring routine of the thran. And I'll wager we'll eat better too - if we get to share Kugald's table!"

As for Sweld's question, Hovik rolls his eyes but holds his tongue. He turns away to whisper to Neirin, "Does the shelduck flock with the pintail?"

Last edited by Hovik on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:49 am

GM wrote:"I do not want to know the message that you carry for that is not my concern, Madrin, but what concerns me is whether or not the Daas intends to aid my kin. I sense by your lack of an answer that no aid shall be coming." Sweld appears to calm down a little as he continues "Perhaps Wyrdsman, you can tell me then, to where do my loyalties lie. Do I honour my word to the Daas and turn my back on my clan or do I as the Ljarl confirms and honour my clan above all else."

"Tell me Wyrdsman what would you do?"

Jurri won't pre-empt Madrin's response, but he brings to mind one of the eddas concerning the perils of rushing to judgment, and makes sure to stand where he can make eye contact with Sweld. If Madrin fails to defuse the situation, or if it would just enhance his response, Jurri will be ready to orate. At best, he may help influence Sweld's mood. At worst, he may buy a little more time for Sweld's anger to subside.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:38 am

Thorin: "The WaveRider! A magnificent ship, and Captain Daas knows the waters hereabout better than anyone."

OOC: GM, what additional gear may I draw from the Valkahars armory?

"Sweld, your place is with your Valkahar. As far as choosing between your lord and your family, only you can decide which is right. Your father placed you with Valkahar Daas because of his trust. Trust him. Rash decisions at this point can only worsen the situation. Be patient."

Thorin reaches out a hand in friendship...."Do you have a message for your father that we might deliver?"

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:02 am

Sweld turns his head towards Thornin when he starts to speak. Taking his hand in friendship Sweld says "I see your point, Thorin but how can I be patient when the Daas sits idle, while my kin may lay besieged within their thranaal." The young man takes a step back after taking Thorin's hand.

A strange look comes over his face "I somehow sense that you know more than you are telling me." He looks to the ground his shoulders visibly sag, looking up again he adds "Very well, patient I will be. But for how long should I remain patient, can you tell me that?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 am

Thorin turns to survey his companions.......

We should return in a week or so.

When this distasteful intrigue is done, the truth will be known.

Wait, Sweld, until we march on Ibanvaal, or Froyaheim asks for you to return.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:35 am

As Madrin is about to reply to Sweld he is interrupted by Thorin. Closing his mouth, Madrin takes a step back from the situation. It seems Thorin is more than a simple huscarl. Perhaps it is only his grasp on law that makes Madrin an asset to this group, rather than his eloquence with words. More confused then ever, Madrin ponders the reasoning behind being sent on a quest with such warriors who are just as much at home with diplomacy as they are with arms.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:02 am

"Madrin, I wish my words were as eloquent as yours....I am but a simple soldier, who knows the ways of warriors. I am more comfortable swaying opinions with arms than words...I just understand Swelds situation, personally."

OOC: Not trying to steal anyones thunder....Thorin has a respectable Intrigue (60), but poor Oratory (24) and Mediocre Rhetoric (42)....and speaks Ivinian at 74.......

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:05 am

"Very well then, Thorin. I think I understand you." With a wink and a smile he adds "I will wait until we march on Ibanvaal." Before he turns to leave he once more takes Thorins hand "Thankyou my friend, I look foward to standing with you in the sheildwall by the Daas' side when we stand against Ibanvaal."
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 am

Thorin mumbles something under his breath about hoping Cunate's does indeed plan on assaulting Ibanvaal....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next