From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Nuzyael 720

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

1 Nuzyael 720 - Page 3 Empty Re: 1 Nuzyael 720

Post  GM Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 am

With the sun now getting low in the western sky, the crew of the 'waverider' begin to assemble tentage a wax covered section of canvas is assemble and raised in the mid section of the boat. This tent runs from just some 20' or so of the vessels lenght. This task is completed with professional speed.

Pergan Daas keeps a watchful eye as the work is completed and once erected casts a critical eye over the work and with a nod is satisfied that the job is good enough to satisfy his demands. After some consultation with the captain, Jorgaan Kerlt leaves the boat and walks towards your warband.

As your warband watches the crew go about their work, the rest of the thran seems to be winding down for the day, the shipyard ceases work for the day. A pinda sits in the dock and you have watched Ulauf Nildrom and his apprentice go about their work repairing the hull. The other workers seem to be preparing timbers and such in the nearby workshop.

Hilsen Trens has long since returned the Jarl's horses to their stabling.

Smoke plumes from the nearby houses seem to increase as they stock their fires in preparation for the evening meal and to warm the houses for coming night.

As Jorgaan nears you, he offers "Care to join the captain and I for a meal and some drink?" as he motions and arm towards the meadhall.
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:00 am

GM wrote:
As Jorgaan nears you, he offers "Care to join the captain and I for a meal and some drink?" as he motions and arm towards the meadhall.

Kugald smiles. "I thought you would never ask! We should enjoy a good meal before we cast off." Looking around at his warband, "Everybody in?"

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Jorgaan joins your group as you head along the road towards the meadhall. Along the way he introduces himself to each of you telling you all that he is the journeyman pilot aboard the 'waverider' a hint of pride is in his voice.

"The captain will join us later, he must see to the loading of the stores and bids me entertain you until his arrival." Jorgaan adds.

Entering the meadhall you see a large hearth fire burning in the middle of the room. Several of the villagers are seated at tables around the hall, all are familiar to you. There are 2 tables joined together and there sits 8 other men all you guess are the crew of the 'waverider' they are joined by several of the 'working girls' employed by Jabor Daas. Tankards lay all over the tables untended by the serving girls.

Joining several tables together you make room for yourselves, Jorgaan organises seating for his captain. Shella Anders is the neice of the Valhakar of the Anders clan a minor clan in Ygesdram and the serving girl that approaches your table and with a smile and a nod offers greetings to you all. Shella a woman in her late 20's with large breasts (some say the reason she got the job) and rather attractive to match, she also has a a lovely singing voice when the mood takes her and she has learnt to use her wit to keep 'adventerous' customers at bay.

"Evening to you all" she says. After waiting for a reply she continues "The usual for you all" as she indicates the warband "and what about you stranger what would you like to drink"

Jorgaan replies "My captain recommends the mead here, so may I order a tankard of your finest please!" In saying that Jorgaan reaches into his clothing and pulls out a beltpouch and places it on the table so that some of the contents spill out. Several pence hit the table followed by 2 shillings. Jorgaan looks up at the warband and says "This night out is on the Jarl!"

In the conversation over drinks you discover that Jorgaan is from a sailing family in Myna and has completed his apprenticeship some 2 years ago. Jorgaan spent several years as a sailor before his father could get him the position as apprentice pilot aboard the 'waverider' but since then he has worked with Sheld Daas since starting his apprenticeship. He has 2 more years to serve aboard before signing off.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:55 pm

GM wrote:
"Evening to you all" she says. After waiting for a reply she continues "The usual for you all" as she indicates the warband "and what about you stranger what would you like to drink"

Kugald smiles at Shella, “You know me too well my dear! A tankard of mead for me!”

GM wrote:
Jorgaan replies "My captain recommends the mead here, so may I order a tankard of your finest please!" In saying that Jorgaan reaches into his clothing and pulls out a beltpouch and places it on the table so that some of the contents spill out. Several pence hit the table followed by 2 shillings. Jorgaan looks up at the warband and says "This night out is on the Jarl!"

“I like this mission already!” When the drinks arrive, Kugald stands up and lets out a hardy toast, “To the Jarl!”

GM wrote:
In the conversation over drinks you discover that Jorgaan is from a sailing family in Myna and has completed his apprenticeship some 2 years ago. Jorgaan spent several years as a sailor before his father could get him the position as apprentice pilot aboard the 'waverider' but since then he has worked with Sheld Daas since starting his apprenticeship. He has 2 more years to serve aboard before signing off.

“Jorgaan, as a sailor and pilot, have you ever travelled upriver from Ygesdram to Froyaheim or up the Leim and Froya rivers? It is my first time travelling there. Is it a difficult trip? Does it take very long?”

Kugald waits politely for the reply. After the pilot answers, he has a few more drinks, enjoys some food and then follows up with another question, as subtly and diplomatically as possible, and in a low, conspiring tone.

“So, in your travels, what have you heard about the fall of Froyby and the Ibanvaal invasion? Any news? How about from Vulenheim? Any hope for assistance from the King?”

TTYL

- Kerry Mould
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:56 am

Jorgaan stands and raises his tankard in tribute of the Jarl also.

Kuglad wrote:“Jorgaan, as a sailor and pilot, have you ever travelled upriver from Ygesdram to Froyaheim or up the Leim and Froya rivers? It is my first time travelling there. Is it a difficult trip? Does it take very long?”

Kugald waits politely for the reply. After the pilot answers, he has a few more drinks, enjoys some food and then follows up with another question, as subtly and diplomatically as possible, and in a low, conspiring tone.

“So, in your travels, what have you heard about the fall of Froyby and the Ibanvaal invasion? Any news? How about from Vulenheim? Any hope for assistance from the King?”

Taking a mouthful of mead from his tankard Jorgaan leans back into his chair and answers "Indeed, I would like to think that I am well travelled. I have travelled as far afield as the island of Harn and the ports of Orbaal and Melderyn, I have seen the great city of Chelemby as well as most of the cities of Menglana. We have sailed to Froyaheim on many occassions. The trip itself is not difficult depending on the weather. Should we encounter winds from the North East then it may be sometime before we arrive but given good winds and fair weather we should be there within the day."

"Let us wait for my captain before we order our meal lest we upset him for not waiting." Jorgaan adds during the conversation. "He should not be to much longer with his duties."

Sitting up again he takes another mouthful of his tankard and then leans forward with his elbows resting on the table. "News of Froyby, well nothing since the thran first fell and since only that the Dagen's son the Prince rules there now." With a pause he adds "As for aid well there is the rub. Some say the King waits for the Storzar to fall before marching and then there are others more subdued who say the King fears the fight because he holds onto the throne by the thinest of threads."

"But since my arrival here, I have heard that the Daas has decided not to aid his friend the Storzar!" Draining the contents of his tankard he waves to Shella to bring him a fresh one. "I cannot believe the news myself, I choose not to believe it really, his son fights with the Storzar!" Jorgaan remains silent while Shella brings his drink and once she departs the table he continues "While I admire the hospitality of the Jarl, I think his courage and loyalty will soon be brought to question." He adds that last sentence as more of a question than a statement.

As the conversation flows back and forth the door of the meadhall opens, Sweld Daas enters the hall. He casts a quick eye around the hall spies your table and moves directly to the empty seat left for him. "Well met young travellers. I am Sweld Daas the captain and master pilot of the 'waverider'. I apologise for my late arrival I had to ensure that the stores we carry we stowed correctly, cannot trust those longshoreman to do the job of a sailor properly."

Swella returns to the table and takes everyones order for food and drinks, Swella quickly returning with the drinks. As the conversation flows Swella returns with the food. Pork and herring stew served with cabbage and onions. A plate of cheese is also served. With a loaf of rye bread also served to each of you.

With the food served Sweld says "Tis bad business this, the Daas not commiting to aid his friend?"
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:41 am

Just to be sure I got this straight. This is we are talking to Sweld Daas, lamenting the Daas' decision. Not Sweld Storzar, who previously went on like a whining child in front of us a while ago.

If no one else calls the captain on his unseemly comment, and if it can be done without drawing attention from outsiders to our table, Hovik will make a point to the captain. "Excuse me, I'm not a sailor by trade, so I'm really not familiar with how things go on a boat. As I understand it, you are the one who decides when we raise and lower the sails, right? And when we embark and when we weigh anchor? And the pilot tells you where the rocks are, right? And if there are rocks ahead, you might give an order to lower the sails, right. And the oarsman? What's his job? To row? What if he thinks you should raise the sail when you say lower it? Should he shout it out, "Raise the sail"? Should he do it himself? Should he just mumble it to his friend next to him?"

"The thran is a ship, captain. We don't need to understand every order. We don't see all the rocks."

He finishes with some light banter to defuse any anger. "Now Madrin, will you please explain to the captain why I should not be flogged for my impertinence? I'm counting on your golden tongue to get me out of trouble here! If you fail, maybe Jurri can distract our captain with a song while I slip out the back!"

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:16 am

Hovik wrote:Just to be sure I got this straight. This is we are talking to Sweld Daas, lamenting the Daas' decision. Not Sweld Storzar, who previously went on like a whining child in front of us a while ago.

You are correct you are chatting with the captain/pilot of the 'waverider' not the huscarl.

"I agree, Hovik, and you need not fear any 'whipping' from me here, I am the captain but you are my honoured passengers and we are still on land" he adds with a smile "and I am not talking about ignoring nor countermanding the order but when an order is given and there appears to be signs that the order is not a good one, a good sailor will when time allows ask why the order was given, how else do we learn from others?"

Leaning foward he continues "I do not question the order itself but the reasoning behind it. There is a brotherhood between Cunate Daas and Erling Storzar and I would have thought that with the Storzar in such trouble the Daas would have travelled to the very halls of Talaagaard itself to aid his brother and not hesitate in coming to help"

"I do not expect you to be able to answer that question and I admire your loyalty to the Daas but I merely air my thoughts aloud."

Judging from the mumbled conversations from around the hall, this is not the only conversation concerning the Daas' decision. It appears that word has soon spread about your meeting in the greathall. Some of the patrons (your friends) lift their tankards in salute to you but most appear to look sad at your coming expedition, perhaps they understand the message you carry and know that it will not be recieved in the halls of the Storzar well.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 am

Hovik does not want the voyage to start on such a down note. He knows that a patient's attitude often determines his health. This voyage is looking rather sick.

He's also perhaps a little more cognizant that such talk can lead to sedition. These other men are Daas - perhaps they don't realize how their attitudes can infect the community and ruin morale. He had thought a captain would be more thoughtful.

"I say let's not air these thoughts aloud, for it ill-serves the Daas to have other overhear such gloom. We can't ask him his reasons this moment, so it matters not what we think. I say we best serve the Daas by engaging in song, games, and jests. Let the rest of the thran know by our demeanor that we are completely confident in the Daas' plan. And our confidence might hearten others, to the good of the Daas.

"I admit, I say this mainly because I am a poor man, and a meal like this comes none too often for me. I'd rather not it be soured with gloomy talk.

"So tell me, captain - how's the food on the Waverider? Is it served as hot, and by as buxom a maid?

"And what will my job be on the boat? I warn you, I'm only on this voyage because they voted me "most useless man in the thran". I have no skills more useful than making a spoon hang from my nose, and if anyone here says otherwise it is because they are jealous of my title."

If he can't get the captain (and others) in better spirits on his own, he will plead with Jurri to get some songs going.

Last edited by Hovik on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:53 am

Hovik wrote:If he can't get the captain (and others) in better spirits on his own, he will plead with Jurri to get some songs going.

It takes very little to convince Jurri to begin singing. He'll select an edda that is particularly heroic. Those who listen to the whole thing carefully may find that the hero often seems to do one thing, only to have it revealed as a clever ruse to mislead his foes. If he can work in some good opportunities to raise a tankard to the Daas, the Storzar, Shella, the crew of the 'Waverider', etc, so much the better. His aim is to lighten the mood, and conjure up feelings of hope, boldness, and loyalty. As such, he's keeping a good eye on his audience, trying to gauge reactions. If he notes anyone acting oddly, he'll be sure to share it with his companions later.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:11 am

As Jurri plays Sweld says to the warband "You have naught to do but enjoy the trip." Draining his tankard he adds "You are indeed correct young Hovik, let us not waste this night in such a wasteful way."

Calling out to Shella he orders "Another round for my companions!"

After finishing his meal he pushes back his plates and leans back in his chair with a tankard in hand and seems to enjoy the surroundings. As if the edda played by Jurri has hit a chord.

When Jurri pauses between songs Sweld states to you all "We shall be sailing not long after high Yael, I offer you the rather uncomfortable accomodation aboard the 'waverider' tonight so that we can make sail and not disturb your rest."

"Let us enjoy some more of this entertainment before we leave."

The mood seems to have swung around completely the patrons seem to be enjoying the songs and eddas that Jurri performs and it seems as if the sullen mood before was an illusion.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 am

GM wrote:As Jurri plays Sweld says to the warband "You have naught to do but enjoy the trip."

"Ha! Something I am good at. You found the one thing I am useful for - enjoying myself! Don't tell the others - they'll make me do it over and over again. It can be so tiring."

Draining his tankard he adds "You are indeed correct young Hovik, let us not waste this night in such a wasteful way."

"I knew you'd see it my way. With enough mead in your head, I'm almost as convincing as Madrin! And almost as pretty as Shella!"

"Now who's up for a game of Fox and Geese? A penny a game. What - show my pence up front? You know I don't have a coin - but what matter - you also know I never lose!"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 am

Madrin finds himself reluctant to go home. Although it is not his place, he cannot but question the actions of the Jarl. Firstly, asking 7 young journeyman to undertake a quest that is, what he can gather, extremely important. Madrin finds it difficult that Clan Daas would not go the aid of the Storzars. Is his Jarl lacking in courage? Surely not. He also questions the forethought that went into choosing the group, namely himself. While feeling sorry for himself, he eventually finds himself back at his house. Upon entering, his father, Tersi, looks up from his books, stands and thunders "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?", Madrin takes a step back, as his father very rarely raises his voice and even less so to him. Tersi continues in a more mellow voice "You were told to gather your belongings and head down to the waverider. You have yet to be home, and as I see you standing before me, you are obviously not on the waverider. I would like to hear why my son has decided to ignore the orders of his valhakar?"

Madrin stares at his father, how can he explain to him that he doubts the Jarls wisdom in all matters relating to this quest? He dare not. He decides to tell his father of his doubts about his inclusion in the event though. "Father, I have just been contemplating my inclusion is such an esteemed group. I discovered, that aside from my knowledge of law, which all Ivinians have a basic understanding of anyway, I offer nothing else to this party."

Tersi shakes his head. "No doubt you are talking of this small incident involving Sweld? We heard of it as he came in demanding answers from Cunate. We were all asked to leave this matter to between them. But I did manage to hear at the start how you held your tongue when asked for information. It seems you believe that the other group members can dissemble and orate better than you?" Tersi places his hand on Madrin's shoulder "Listen to me my son. Gather you belongings, shake of this absurdity. We both know your talents. This self-doubt does not become you. All things will become clear in time.." He raises his hand of his shoulder and holds it up in front of his sons face as Madrin is about to speak "I can say no more Madrin. Do not dishonour yourself or your clan by asking questions you shouldnt, or by not following the orders of your Jarl. Get your things. And begone with you. Sarajin guide your steps my son"

With a last fatherly embrace, Madrin returns to his room, gathers his belongings and goes to leave. Before leaving his mother appears with two items, wrapped in fur. Madrin is awed by the gifts as he unwraps them. A ring made of silver with the family crest and an ivory crafted pendant of the family crest on a leather thong are presented to him. "Your father bade me give these to you. He has returned to the thran to speak to the Jarl. These are his grandfathers, and they are passed down, father to son, following in the family profession. Wear them proudly Madrin. We are proud of you" A final embrace from his mother and Madrin sets off to find the ship.

Upon arriving and hailing the ship, he is shown to where to stow his belongings and informed of where his fellow adventurers are. Madrin hastens his step to join them, proudly wearing the new jewellery of his family.

[OOC: Sorry for my tardiness gents. RL matters and my fat ass laziness led to a stint of nothingness. Apologies]

GM: Those jewellery pieces common for this? I forgot I hadnt added any to my inventory yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:05 pm

The evening passes with song, a few games of fox and geese and a few more drinks.

But before the night becomes to long Sweld stands and motions for Jurgaan to follow and says "It is getting late and there are a few last minute details we must attend to aboard the 'waverider'. Please excuse us or if you choose please feel free to acompany us aboard, you can set yourselves up and get some sleep before we sail, we have a very early start."

All but two of the crew see their captain stand and prepare to leave and they go about making preparations to leave also. The other two seem to have found some female 'company' in the form of working girls and seem prepared to delay their return to the boat in favour of some further entertainment.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 pm

GM wrote:
But before the night becomes to long Sweld stands and motions for Jurgaan to follow and says "It is getting late and there are a few last minute details we must attend to aboard the 'waverider'. Please excuse us or if you choose please feel free to acompany us aboard, you can set yourselves up and get some sleep before we sail, we have a very early start."

Algared chooses this moment to excuse himself from the festivities and follows Sweld and Jurgaan, a nights sleep on board will ensure he is not distracted or late in arriving on the morrow and causing delays.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:10 am

Neirin stands by the quay, watching the evening activity aboard the vessel that would carry them all to the sea. It seems so small and unstable. How can something like this even remain on top of the water? He had left the revelry at the tavern earlier than the others, not having much appetite for celebration.

"Well, I must do this." With a sigh and a brief prayer, the hunter steps up the plank and onto the deck of the vessel, all the while imagining he is being swallowed by some great beast of the sea.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:31 am

Hovik understands his friends trepidation. "It's simple, Neirin.

"Haven't you ever noticed how hard water feels with you splash hard against it? Water is very hard when you have enough of it. You don't notice how hard it is when you drink it from a cup because that's just a little bit of water. When you get lots of it, and you have something big like a boat hitting it, water is really very hard. Almost as hard as rock. So the boat can just skate over the top of it, like a sledge on the ice.

"Here, take your hand and slap the water. Did you feel how hard that was? You could hurt yourself if you slapped hard enough!

"Now you have to be careful to stay in the boat, because you aren't as big as the boat so the water isn't as hard for you. Just like it's easy to dip just your finger into the water, the smaller you are the softer the water is.

"Now you know how it works, don't you feel better?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 am

Neirin nods appreciatively at the encouraging words from his friend, but seems reluctant to lean over far enough to touch the water. Instead, he moves to the place at the center of the boat which will be their "camp", and sits down uneasily upon the deck.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 am

Jurri will say his goodbyes and make his way to the boat. Taking Sweld's advice, he will make himself as comfortable as he can manage and try to get some sleep. He will spend a few minutes listening to the sounds the boat makes, letting himself relax to its rhythms.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 am

Madrin rises with the rest of his companions and makes his way back to the boat, not wanting to delay the launch. Arriving at the boat he witnesses the exchange between Hovik and Neirin and smiles slightly at Neirins trepidation, remembering his own the first time he stepped aboard the ungainly boats often sailed by the Ivinians.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:13 pm

The warband follow the Captain, Jurgaan and all but two of the crew from the meadhall and out into the night.

The thran is still, only the noise of those left in the meadhall disturbs the quiet. Whisps of smoke emerge from the now smouldering hearth fires in each of the house. Very little light emerges from any of the houses. The gates to the thranaal are now closed, with the light of a lantern burning through the dark from the second story of the gatehouse.

The night air is crisp, a light breeze blows in from the north west. You pull your cloaks a bit tighter around your shoulders as you make you way through the blackness towards the 'waverider'. The night sky teams with the mirade of stars visible through a near cloudless sky, yeal remains hidden in the blackness.

There is very little sign of life among the thran as you make your way towards the dock, the 'waverider' begins to emerge from the darkness. As you near the sounds of the crew going about their duties comes to you through the stillness of the night.

Boarding the boat you soon find a spot wear you can relax and get some rest. You lay for awhile listening to the crew gong about their work, while other crew members get themselves ready for sleep. As you lay aboard the boat one of the crewmen from the meadhall arrives aboard whispering about his 'dabble' with the young lady. His whispers can be heard saying that "Werthul is still with his 'lady' but should be back soon." Before long the whispers die down leaving only the sounds and motion of the boat on the water which soon put you to sleep.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3