From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Peonu 720

+2
Barak Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2 Peonu 720 - Page 2 Empty Re: 2 Peonu 720

Post  Algared Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 am

Algared gathers his fishing gear and is about to head head back the spot he had found the previous afternoon, when he considers Kugald's offer to stay and guard the camp. As much as Algared would prefer not to be on guard duty again, he decides it will probably be in their best interests if Kugald goes with Barak and learns to fish. Recalling how as a youth Kugald never seemed to have the patience to sit and quietly fish rather he always had seemed to seek activites where he was making headway by appearing active.

Looking up at his cousin, Algared smiles then says, "No Kugald, I think it will be good for you to fish."

Algared thinks tohimself. Though I've never seen you fish and you always seemed to prefer action to contemplation. Barak should be a good teacher, and no doubt as you learn to fish it may increase your chance of survival if you alone and in the wilds.

"I'll stay and play guard, rather than a stew for dinner I hope we'll be eating fresh fish, so I'll not set a new stew cooking. I'll see if I can improve my control with my spear thrusts or sword strikes."

Kugald however stops his younger cousin from putting his fishing gear away, 'No little Cous', you have already spent the morning 'playing fguard as you put it and cooking. Go fish, I'll watch over the camp... I can go fishing with Barak another time.

While Kugald prepares for Guard duty, Barak heads of to his fishing location,Borryg heads off again to forage, and Algared taking spear and shield along with his fishing gear goes towards the river about twenty yards from the camp. where he settles down to fishonce more, initally using a little deer meat as bait if he is unable to find any other suitable bait.

Post by GM

Sitting himself down at his now familiar fishing spot Algared 'wets' a line and waits for a bite. It is not long before he has made his first catch - it turns out that this fish will be his only catch for the watch but the struggle is mighty and Kugald can hear the fight taking place from up at the camp. By the end of the 4th watch he hears a commotion back at the campsite and realises that Jurri has returned from the thran. Packing up his fishing gear Algared returns to camp with his only catch of the day a 13lb bass.

Last edited by GM on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : editied activites to fit fit narrative)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Time: Nearing the end of 4th watch

Kugald spots some movement to his left and straining his vision he searches through the trees at what approaches.

Preparing himself he finally catches sight of a lone figure approaching the campsite, the man is moving along the riverbank and advancing on an unsuspecting Algared.

It quickly becomes apparent that this man is in fact Jurri returning from his trip to the thran - from what Kugald can tell, Jurri has not seen the campsite or Algared as yet.

Last edited by GM on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 pm

After spotting Jurri returning to the campsite, Kugald calls to him and heads out to meet him.

“So my friend, any luck with buying bread or ale?” He looks around for Vidar, then raises one eyebrow quizzically, “You seem to have lost our priest. What happened to Vidar? Why isn’t he with you?”

TTYL

- Kerry

Post edited by GM
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Kugald Daas wrote:“So my friend, any luck with buying bread or ale?” He looks around for Vidar, then raises one eyebrow quizzically, “You seem to have lost our priest. What happened to Vidar? Why isn’t he with you?”

To the first question, Jurri holds forth a few sacks of provisions, "Aye, at least a few days worth, I'd say, but perhaps Algared can stretch it further? Best of all, it was paid for by the Dagen." He grins.

To quote Neil, the contents of the sacks:

8 loaves of rye bread 1.25lbs ea.
2 dozen oatcakes 1lb/doz
4lbs salted perch
6lbs salted pork
3lb of fresh rabbit
3lbs of dried fruit 1lb each of apricots, apples and pears
5lbs of vegies 1lb each of cabbage, beans, peas, carrots and turnips
5lbs of goats cheese
1lb of salt
1 pint of honey
1lb of chestnuts

That will be enough for your warband for 2 days of good eating, it could stretch out to 4 days if you choose to ration. With a few extras like the salt and honey stretching for longer.

Regarding Vidar, "Alas, when we arrived, Vidar announced his intention to depart our band. He chose to remain behind and tend to the spiritual needs of those in the village. He seemed quite determined and had clearly given it much thought. May Sarajin smile on him. I do not think we shall see him again. For what it is worth, he seemed in no danger; the garrison was actually very friendly."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Looking over the haul of food Jurri has brought, Kugald smiles broadly. "Well done my friend, this is far more than I had even dared hope for. When we combine it with the deer Barak shot, the fish Algared caught and the forage Borygg and I brought in, we have enough for many days on the trail."

He shakes his head on hearing the news of Vidar's departure. "Damn. I didn't expect that. I guess it isn't so surprising though, he was from a Froyaheim clan. I think the fall of the thran hit him more than we knew. May Sarajin guide him on the right path."

"So," rubbing his hands together, "Algared, what do you think, some hearty pottage with vegetables, deer meat and some bread tonight?"

"Jurri, come, sit, tell us more about what happened at the thran and what news you have gathered."

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 am

Once everyone is back, Jurri will take a seat and rest his legs from the hike.

"Vidar said that he felt his services were not best utilized with the warband and that he could be of more use amongst his clansmen. He seemed to know his heart in this; I saw no point in arguing, though I think he could have told you himself."

"What I saw of the thran seemed fairly normal. There were perhaps a dozen clanhouses with a like number of outbuildings, sheds and workshops, I suppose. There was a tannery by the smell of it, and it was clear that hunting and trapping are key to their livelihood. Otherwise, the activity seemed normal enough; people tending to animals and preparing for spring ploughing and the like. They did not seem oppressed to my eyes. The only thing unusual was there were not as many men as I expected. Whether due to the war or that they were already in the fields, I cannot say."

"There was no walled thranhold, but there were six Ibanvaaler men who I took to be the garrison. The leader's name was Knurri Shameel. Vidar explained that he was here to attend to the spiritual needs of the clans and that I was but a lost traveler he had met on the road. Knurri seemed to accept that, and Vidar went about his business. I was asked to perform for the garrison, which I did."

"They paid me thirty pennies worth of goods from the marketplace, so you can thank the Ibanvaaler's for what I bought from the farmers. Unfortunately, I was unable to speak to Vidar before I had to leave; he was busy with the families of those who had lost kin to the fighting. I did not feel I could wait without risking getting lost after dark."

He sighs, "Unfortunately, I was unable to acquire any ale." Then he remembers something else, "One other thing: When Vidar introduced me, he used my clan name, which I wish he had not. Since the Grebels are involved in the fighting, that may yet prove to be a difficult thing."
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:38 am

Time: Beginning of 5th watch

With the warband all together once again. You sit around the smouldering fire enjoying what remains of daylight. You exchange a bit of banter between you as Jurri retells his story of his visit to the thran.

You next actions please
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:47 am

Unless there's some reason not to, Jurri will take his turn at the watch, otherwise sleeping.

"How does Vidar's absence change the watch schedule?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:02 am

Algared returns to the camp and seeing Kugald and Jurri talking approaches. "This one really didn't want to join us." Algared says as he proudly holds up his catch. 'I only managed this one but it is easily the size of the perch I managed to catch the other night"

Algared's eyes widen as he sees the food that jurri has been able to acquire. In answer to Kugald's comments about the evening meal, Algared replies, "Lets await to see what Barak has to add to our supplies. I was thinking we'd be having fish tonight, and put a stew to simmer away during the night which we can have at the start before dawn. Looks like with the deer, fish and forage we have as well as the supplies Jurri aquired we have enough for a about four days especially if I can preserve the preishables."

[OOC:With the bass, and trout, foragings, Jurri's haul and anything else we have How many days rations do we have, and how far can we stretch them, taking into account spoilage- I saw you had listed jurri's supplies as being 2-4 days, do we now have 4 and 6 if we ration it a little?]

Algared sets about sorting sorting through the supplies in preparation for the evening meal, and listens to the banter as Jurri catches up with his friends. Once Barak returns with his three fish Algared sets about preparing the evening meal, as well as sorting the roots and meats that will make up the stew for the morning meal. 'So double march tomorrow and we set out at first light?"

Once everyone is present Algared goes about the preparations silently as Jurri tells of his encounter, Vidar's decision and any news.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 am

Barak returns with his three large fish hanging off his spear and surveys the food spread around the camp: "More food hear than we can eat he says."

In response to Alagarads ponderings on food: "Between us we've caught enough fish to last us all three days. We've still got what we caught yesterday, and that look like another three of four days food there. If we eek it out it will probably last us a tenday especially if we can forage whilst we march. We should eat what is left of yesterdays fish and forage first and then some of the venison. We can keep today's fish for tomorrow and the day after and eat the dried meat last."

And on learning of Vidar's decission to de-camp: "Are we safe to remain here for the night? Or should we move on and camp a half league or so away?"
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 pm

"Vidar is an honourable man, I doubt he would betray us under anything less than torture. Even then, I think he might die before betraying us. I think we are safe enough here for one more night."

"As for the best use of the food, I will leave that up to Algared to organize. However, taking the lead from Barak's comments last night, whatever we do not need for tonight's feast and tomorrow's breakfast, I think we should start dividing up into five equal parts immediately. Each of us should have a fifth of the food safely packed away in our packs, just in case the worst happens and we have to bug out unexpectedly, all the food won't be lost in one fell swoop. The other issue is bears. We will have sentries, but the bears could be drawn to the food. Once everything is packed, I suggest we hoist our packs up into a tree on a rope. We tie the rope off close to the ground and if we need to run, we cut the rope, the packs drop, we grab them and run."

"As Jurri implied, sentry duty will have to change. I still want pairs for sentry duty...it is easier to keep each other awake and two are better than one if something happens. Unless anyone objects, I say we have two shifts and one lucky stiff gets to sleep through the night. So, for tonight, in honour of his huge score of food, Jurri, you have the night off. Congrats... Barak, that moves you and Borygg together. Can you please take the first watch. Algared and I will take the second watch."

"We should get as much rest as possible."

"We wake at the first lightening of the sky, false dawn. As Algared has suggested, we will have a hearty stew that has cooked overnight to break our fast. That will be all until dinner, except perhaps a cold sausage and slice of bread at midday. We will eat after we camp again tomorrow night.

"As soon as we are finished, we gear up and head out. I want to do two full watches on the march tomorrow."

"On the march, it will be Barak in the lead, 25 meters ahead, then me, Algared, Jurri and Borygg bringing up the rear. Everyone ok with that?"

"Mmmmmm... I can smell that fish Algared, smells good." He rubs his hands together, "When do we eat!"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Borygg nods as he listens to Kugald. "That sounds like a good plan. We have food now and can start making decent time getting home."
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 pm

While the fishe roasts, which has been garnished with a a couple of crushed hazlenuts and filled with a stuffing using any forage that was bruised and a little rye bread, a couiple of carrots couple of carrots, tubers and greens are also set cooking. Once the carrots are cooked Algared scoops the carrots out with a spoon saving the water the vegetables have cooked in, to be used with the stew that will cook through the evening watch. As the carrots sit to the side Algared adds a single spoon of honey over them. Once all is ready he serves up the stuffed fish with the vegetables.

He then places a bone that has had the majority of meat cut away to the water the vegetables had cooked in setting the pot back.

Once he has eaten Algared continues sorting the rations into bundles as well as setting aside five smaller bundles. A small pile of vegetables, roots and forage remain unpacked to be added to the stew. "The smaller bundles will be miday meal, a cold fare I'm afraid, but with a little bread, dried friuts, cheese and cold roasted meat it will be pleasant enough I hope and will save time..." Algared smiles then says. "..and of course washed down with the best of the Storzer's mountain spring waters."

Once the prearations are complete and what can be cleaned away has been cleaned Algared heads to bed making sure he suggests the watch check the stew pot from time to time ensuring both the fires coals are still letting the stew simmer and that the contents dont boil dry.

Last edited by Algared on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 am

Time: End of 4th watch - End of 6th watch

The warband spends what time remains before dark gathering extra firewood, the search takes them further away from the camp as the timber is consumed on the camp fire. The amount of timber collected should see enough to keep the fire going during the night and into the morning to keep the food simmering away.

The rations are broken up so that each man carries enough food for about four days of good eating, this could stretch out to eight days in needed. Each man carries a supply of dried or salted meat and fresh fish and deer, several portions of cheese, a handful of chestnuts and a variety of fresh vegetables.

With the rations sorted, eveyones packs are hauled into the trees using the rope that Borygg manage to 'liberate' from one of the thrans.

Algared spends his time in preparation of both the evening meal and then preparing for the morning meal. The other members of the warband sit contentedly around the fire in the fast fading light. Idle banter flows around the campfire.

In the growing dark with the evening meal now finished and cleaning up done, Algared turns in for the night before his watch, the others sit around the fire a little longer.

A few stars can be seen in the sky above through the trees. The temperature is beginning to drop and will probably end up in a cold night the wind has picked up with a steady wind blowing in from the south east, the high ground does little to shield you from its effects but the shelter and the trees offer a little protection.

Soon the darkness hides all but the lit bodies and faces of the warband, but each of you soon take your leave of the fire and the group and turn in leaving Barak and Borygg standing guard.

The two men move off into the darkness to keep watch, but with the dropping temperature they soon find themselves drawn to the warmth of the fire. Apart from a few moments where they are startled by the nocturnal wildlife their watch passes without event.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Barak and Borygg wake Kugald and Algared up at the end of their watch. Kugald gets up. He is somewhat grumpy, being woken in the middle of a good sleep and having to crawl out of the relatively comfy warmth of his bedroll on spruce boughs in the lean-to and out into the chilly night. He clutches his cloak tightly around him and thinks longly of the big bearskin blanket on his bed at home. He stomps his feet to get the blood flowing, then he throws a couple of more logs on the fire.

Turning to Algared, he says quietly and with not a little sarcasm and irony, "Who was the idiot who made up this watch schedule anyway?" After he warms up a little, he takes a walk around the perimeter. He has his spear with him. Kugald checks to make sure that everything is secure.

"I am looking forward to getting moving. With some belt tightening, we probably have enough food for about eight days. That will get us a good part of the way home. Once we get past the Ibanvaalese troops, we can get back on the road. We will make far better time and be able to stop in at Daaslund thrans for a hot meal and maybe even a warm bed..." Kugald's voice fades off as he daydreams of a nice comfortable warm bed, a roof over his head and endless mugs of mead.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Barak quickly gets in to his sleeping roll and off to sleep. He dosn't fancy only having a watch of sleep and then two watches of marching.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Like Kugald, Algared reluctantly awakes and crawls from the warmth of his sleeping roll dons his armour for guard duty. "At least this Gam,beson willkeep some of the cold out[" he thinks to himself. He half smiles and grunts in reply to Kugalds sarcasm, and checks on the stewing bone, stiring the pot, and checking the water level. He places the vegetables and tubers into the pot and then with shield and spear in hand patrols the perimetre. He stands quietly in the shadows occassionally and listensbefroe moving on. When drawn to the camp fires light and warmth like a moth he checks the stew.

The march tomorrow will be tough with just a watch sleep, but hopefully a hot stew, full bellies and fuill supply bags will help lessen the effect. "Aye, Cous' we have a good supply of food for the moment. If we encounter another mountain stream midway through our second watch may be worth seeking a suitable camp earlier just to be near the water, or at least top up the water skins."

Algared stifles a yawn before forcing himself to patrol the camp beyond the glow and relative comfort of the fires warmth, stopping randomly and listeninging intently as he peers into the darkness. Should he hear anything suspicius he will lower he spear and unsling his shield and slowly back up towards the camps light but ensuring he places himself between his companions and the sounds.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2