From Across the Water
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9 Nuzyael 720

+2
Kugald Daas
GM
6 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

9 Nuzyael 720 - Page 3 Empty Re: 9 Nuzyael 720

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:34 am

At first, bristling at the idea of being the handmaid to a troublesome thrall, Thorin had the look of one who sampled sour milk, but now he sees that the physician has played Kugald. Although stoic as a rock, there is a hint of mirth playing in Thorins eye. He had placed his respect and trust in the little physician, and couldnt believe that the thrall would act so boorishly...

He knows it is not appropriate, he knows Kugald has been baited.....he knows he should teach the thrall some manners, but he is intrigued by the missive.

When Kugald looks towards Thorin, the hint of a grin is quickly replaced by a stern frown.

Where Hovik goes, Thorin is close behind.

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:39 am

Borygg and Barak return with a few loaves of rye bread, some dried meat and a jug of ale. The food and drink are passed around between the members of the warband.

Jurri is the first to pick up the parchment from the table - the seal looks official and it bears the mark of the Tejaal.

Handing the parchment to Kugald he too examines the letter but waits for Hovik to speak before opening the letter.

The rest of the warband sit and rest as they wait for Hovik to speak...
GM
GM
GM

https://menglana.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:39 am

The member 'GM' has done the following action : Dice rolls

'Percentile Dice' : 69

The spell Azure Hand does not get cast successfully....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:45 am

Unless Kugald has learned to read lately, Jurri will remain nearby to fill in for Madrin.
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:17 am

"I have more than a scroll. (That's for the Daas, by the way - don't break the seal.) A pouch of silver rewarded my troubles." He presents a small pouch with a couple dozen coins.

Hovik seems to be tiring out. His voice doesn't carry the anger it had just a few minutes before. There is little emotion left as he recounts the next part of the story.

"The Miln carried me off to an unlit shed. I had figured at first that the Miln would listen to Algared's pleadings and then turn them away. Or perhaps even allow us to move on - though I doubted that. So I expected someone to come for me in a short while, and to perhaps get a cuffing for my impertinence. But when a full night passed I surmised something was terribly wrong. At best the Miln turned the warband away, but decided to hold onto me as a way to show his contempt for the Daas yet again. At worst, the Miln was in league with our enemies, and was holding the rest of the warband just as I was being held."

"Regardless, we had no way to know whether Rieke Gerherbt wasn't still in Milnheim or Trond. We know the man waited in Milnheim for a day - perhaps he was waiting for an audience with the Tejaal. He could have been conducted across to Trond by the Miln himself, and thus wasn't noticed by the peasants that Thorin and I had talked to. That was, after all, the idea that brought us to Milnheim in the first place."

"There were other reasons for doing what I did next, but that was the main one. The only way to know for sure whether the Tejaal was in league with the Gerherbt was to see the Tejaal face to face. So I did what I could to arrange that."

"When the huscarls came for me this morning, I let them know that I had valuable information to sell to the Tejaal. The huscarls laughed and promptly beat me senseless. But I kept to my story, and eventually they brought me to the Miln. He, too, was skeptical, but I managed to get what I wanted - an audience with the Tejaal. Along the way I carefully prodded the Miln for any connection to the Gerherbt. I was somewhat surprised that he seemed to be sincerely oblivious of him."

"For the Tejaal, I spun a tale of the Daas' secret plan to defeat the Ibanvaalers." He looks around before continuing. "As the Miln's earlier reaction seemed proof enough that the Gerherbt was not in league with the Tejaal, my aim was to determine whether the Tejaal might be in league with the Ibanvaalers himself, whether he might have other designs upon Ygesdram, and whether he has any spies in the Daaslund. Unless the Tejaal has outsmarted me, I believe I know the answers to these questions."

"I told the Tejaal that the Daas revealed at Froyaheim that he had a secret conspirator among the lieutenants of the Dagenson, and that at a key moment in the war the man would turn traitor. If the Tejaal was conspiring with Ibanvaal, he would have asked for more details, but he didn't. I told the Tejaal that I could find other secrets. If the Tejaal had designs on Ygesdram he would have been specific in his desires, but instead he just told me to keep my eyes and ears open and tell him what I thought most useful. Finally, I asked how I could pass the information safely to him, hoping to learn of any agents in Ygesdram. He told me only to return to Trond when I had something worthwhile."

"All this I expect will be useful information to the Daas."

"Now it is entirely possible that the Tejaal saw through my ruse. If so, nothing I discovered can be relied upon. Of course, if he did see through me, most likely he would have simply killed me. Instead the Tejaal rewarded me with this pouch, and he gave me this parchment to present to the Daas to explain my tortures."

Hovik takes a deep breath, and the emotion returns to his voice.

"Kugald, you consider me insubordinate. I remember being the one who first proposed that we elect a leader. You consider me a thrall, but Cunate Daas knew exactly who I was when he appointed me to this warband - he knew exactly who I was. Think back to that scroll Sheld gave us on the Waverider."

"You rebuke me for being insolent, but I showed insolence only to the Miln, and only for a reason."

"If I have committed any error, it is this. I have seen opportunities to advance the mission, and I took them. Every time I did something on my own it was at a moment when consultation with the others was impossible. I had to make a decision based on my own judgment, and I did. That is what you learn to do as a physician. You learn to think fast and take action, to grasp the main chance . . ."

He voice starts to trail off, his last words are more of a sigh than a sentence, ". . . and to not second guess yourself when things don't go the way you expect."

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:50 am

Just because Barak got some rye bread and ale, that dosn't mean he did so with speed or good grace.

Whilst considering whether or not to tell Kugald that he is a free hunter, and he will not wait on someone else's command, and that it was he, and not Hovik, who spoke first, his chain of thought is interupted by Hovik. Having listened to Hovik's fantastic tale, Barak mutters "So he was tending to his bunions after all" under his breath. He then waits to see what Kugald will do next.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:00 am

Algared rests seeking to recover from the effect of his attempted spell as Hovik tells his tale. Algared wonders what the others will make of the tale. While Hovik seems to compromise himself more and more, Algared finds himself still believing he actually believes what he says. In the end, Algared says, "And that is why in my opinion you are a danger, you do not consider the welfare of those of your companions. You think only of your game of fox and geese, and do not even consider others may be better at the game than you, or that there is an appropriate time for elaborate schemes. You would risk the welfare of all, and claim you acted in the interests of all by your actions. If you feel I have slighted you in any measure then you would be a greater fool than I imagined, but my words have always fallen upon deaf ears with you, my warnings shunned." Algared stops and wonders why he bothers, he then carefully, though clearly awkwardly endeavours to diagnose the severity of all Hovik's injuries.

"I am sorry Hovik, I should not keep on. I am sure you know my thoughts, and are aware of your mistakes, and have certainly paid a price for your choices. It may indeed be you actions will in the end bring the resolution favourable to the Daas and Storzar."

Once done he will suggest Hovik drink some a little mead and if possible a little more food. Once Hovik has eaten Algared will again try to cast Azure hand, he will begin ensure his focus is where it should be, the begin a chant [degree IV cant] and accompany it with hand arm and head gestures [degree III]. he knows he should have more than compensated for the fatigue from the previous attempt as he endeavours to cast once more. Before beginning he says, 'if i succeed the water will feel as cold as ice and the pain should lesson. Algared thinks but doesn't say, and if I fail we could be transformed into a a mass of etheral water that dissipates so we become part of the all, or we may merely be transformed into a bloody mass of meat on the floor.

Last edited by Algared on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : correction of spelling)
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Azure Hand is cast

The member 'GM' has done the following action : Dice rolls

'Percentile Dice' : 43

Algared begins chanting and casting wild gestures with his hands over the bowl of water for several seconds, he then takes a cloth and rinses it in the bowl of water, he touches the wet cloth to Hovik's eye and jaw. The pain in Hoviks eye and jaw dimishes almost immediately, the swelling around his eye decreases some improving his vision and the bruising visibly reduces as Algared washes the wounds with the water.

When Algared is done Hovik is able to move his jaw without pain and the bruising around his wounds should be gone in a day or two.
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Algared stands and walks away, not necessarily so he can avoid any comments, or even stares, but mainly to hide the fatigue that his feels and which always he has felt is a sign of weakness because he feels he tires so quickly. He knows that it is merely the effects of manipulating the very essence of the water. He knows from his lecturers that it is the same for any who cast, they all feel the same drain. None the less the feelings remain.

He goes to the waters edge once more, draws some water and uses it to wash his face. He lingers letting the feeling of fatigue fade then retuns to join the group and learn where they will head, as he sits Algared eats a share of the bread and meat a takes a mouthful or two of the ale.
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 pm

"That is quite a tale."

"So, you outsmarted the Jarl of Milnheim…then you outsmarted the Tejaal…and now you have outsmarted me. That makes you pretty smart for a thrall. It is a shame that you were not able to outsmart Reike Gerherbt that first night in his hall."

"The problem is, you have all these very clever ideas but you don't tell anyone what you are doing. You are so busy scheming and conniving that you forget that you are playing with other people's lives."

"If you are so smart and clever, who is to say you aren't playing all of us," Kugald pans his hand around to include the whole group, "right now."

"You cleverly got yourself separated from the group, managed to get private audiences with the Jarl of Milnheim and the Tejaal and now are telling us this tale. However, since you did not see fit to include ANYONE in your plan, you can see how I would be a little skeptical."

"If the Daas knew you were a thrall and assigned you to the warband as a freeman, then that is his business. He has said he will deal with your case. But until that is done, you are still a thrall." Kugald seems very adamant about this point.

"Remember that, before you hatch anymore of your brilliant schemes. You can talk all you want about 'having to take advantage of an opportunity' and 'seizing the moment' but that only works with those I trust…like Thorin seeing an opening in a shield line and calling for a charge or Jurri knowing the right moment to interrupt with a song…and to be blunt, your actions don't inspire trust."

"Trust is earned. Your secretiveness, your love of your own plans and schemes, your baiting of other members of the band, all of these engender distrust, skepticism and ill will."

"If the what you have told us proves true and the scroll is of value to the Daas, then you will have earned some additional measure of trust and restored what you had before. But think long and hard with that big brain of yours."

"Make me…or any of my men…look like a fool again and I won't hesitate to beat you like you are now or just kill you and be done with it. You are smart, you are a brilliant physician, but you are arrogant and make other people feel dumb."

"People don't like that and tend to lash out."

"A big brain goes squish just like a small one when I cleave it with my sword."

Kugald stands and begins packing up his stuff.

"Enough talk. We will go back to Rojanstad and quickly look for Reike there. If he is no where to be found, we will return to Ygesdram to deliver the Tejaal's message."

He throws his pack on Gauk's back.

"Oh, one more thing thrall, I will allow you to keep the coins…" he adds with a very subtle wink.

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:56 pm

As the band gets underway, Jurri will glance over at Kugald and hold up his harp.

"For want of a pig, shall I play something to pass the journey?"
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Kugald lets out a booming laugh...and cracks a big smile.

"Oink, oink, do your worst oh pink one!"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Hovik quietly hears Kugald words. He is stung by the accusation of 'secretiveness'. Usually they complain that he talks too much! In this case, there was never an opportunity to share his plots. He had not expected to be taken from the group, and everything he did from there was improvised.

But he says nothing. There is nothing to gain from further conversation - Kugald's pride is stung, and he needs to have the last word. The same is true for Algared. So he lets them have their say.

He takes his coins back, and takes the scroll as well. If any object, "My instructions from the Tejaal were clear."

As the warband sets of for Rojanstad, Hovik starts to ask, "Did we send anyone to check . . . "

He stops himself, and says nothing more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:29 pm

If given the opportunity Barak will load his knapsack, spear and sheild on Gauk along with the others.

As the rest of the party start off to Rojanstad, Barak holds back. He says "I have business here; I will catch you up in Rojanstad."
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Borygg Raal Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:41 pm

Hovik wrote:As the warband sets of for Rojanstad, Hovik starts to ask, "Did we send anyone to check . . . "
He stops himself, and says nothing more.
Did we check what, Hovik?
Borygg Raal
Borygg Raal

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:03 am

With Kugald having indicated where the band will head, Algared rises and and begins fitting his armour and weapons again. He notes that although heavy the the gambeson is also rather warm and feels a lot lighter when worn. He glances at Kuglad and Thorin as and imagins it must be the same with the mail they wear for carried in the arms the mail weighs heavily and yet neither seem overly encumbered. He finally checks his pack is strapped closed before shouldering it shoulder's, slinging his shield into place and taking up his spear. Finally making a last minute check around where he sat to ensure he hasn't dropped or forgotten anything.

Hearing Hovik's half spoken question, Algared ignores it, he is tired of argument imagines even if he asked Hovik would find some cause for some cutting remark.

When Barak hold back, Algared will fall to the back of the march, he isn't in the mood for songs anyway, even though he is aware Jurri's offeer to play as they move is more to lift the mood and chase away the dark clouds. Algared keeps an eye out for Barak's return. So they can walk side by side. Algared knows Barak rarely had a chance to join Kugald and himself as a boy. He was certainly kept busy but Algared hopes that he can help draw Barak closer. Share with him the closeness of family. And calls out to him. Saying, "I'll march a little slower Cousin, we'll eat the the dust of the others." Algared smiles as he speaks to Barak. It is with Barak's words sink in he realises Barak's business may well be to hunt. "What, Barak you would rather hunt than march alongside me," he smiles, normally, Algared would have laughed but the days events have sapped his humour. "At least it will be more peaceful eh?"

If Kugald or the others say nothing, Algared will add, "Catch us when you can my friend, we are the lesser without you. If you find trouble blow your horn and I will come if I am able."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Barak Daas Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:47 am

Algared wrote:"What, Barak you would rather hunt than march alongside me"
Assuming Barak hears all of this, he'll reply to Algarad: "I hunt, but the same quarry as you. And I mean to quickly catch up with an old friend. I will hurry. I should catch you before you get to Rojanstad. You won't march fast in all that martial gear." He then hurries off to do his errand.
Barak Daas
Barak Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 am

The warband follows the trail east towards Rojanstad. The walk is easy and with Jurri tickling the harp along the way the mood lessens some. Even the weather seems to improve.

With the last few hours of sunlight the clouds begin to disperse allowing the afternoon sun to warm your shoulders. The wind dies down to almost nothing with just an occassional gust blowing from the south west.

After about a 1/4 of a watch you gain your first vantage of the thran of Rojanstad....
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurri Grebel Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:07 am

Jurri slows the tempo, but continues to pluck at the strings of the harp as he speaks,

"Now, Kugald, may I suggest that we block the escape routes before we allow ourselves to be seen? Some of the locals might be justifiably alarmed by your presence and either flee or fight. If Reike is here, t'would be best to surprise him. I have friends within. Let me walk in first and assess. I can then signal you to follow, be prepared for a fight, or whatever else you may instruct."

(has Barak returned yet?)
Jurri Grebel
Jurri Grebel

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:31 am

"I would suggest that we ensure we speak to the Daas and pay our respects, as well and let them know what we intend. I do not fancy our Jarl learning that we failed to learnl our lessons. It is also dusk I'd rather not find the thran's Daas guards firing on us also if we wait till it is dark we will hopefully lesson the chances of being seen. Though from your last encounter Kugald I'd be ready to fight if need be."
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:27 am

Jurri Grebel wrote:(has Barak returned yet?)

No...
GM
GM
GM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:37 am

Kugald raises his hand to stop the group.

"I agree with Jurri and Algared. If Reike has returned, he might bolt on our arrival. I think we should surround the village."

"Borygg, you stay here on the Upsala road where you can watch anyone leaving to the west. Keep an eye out for Barak. When he catches up, have him stay with you."

"Thorin, you take Hovik and slip around to the south between Rojanstad and Nupon, where you can see anyone leaving to the south."

"Neirin and Edrick, you find a hide and watch the north road to Ygesdram.

"Algared, you're with me. We will slip around to the north and take up position where we can watch the east road to Asarna."

"Jurri, you wait for half an hour and then proceed into the village. Go to the Daas. Check to see if Reike has returned and tell them we are here and what we are doing. Talk to Madin, find out what the rider we saw wanted."

"If Reike is in Rojanstad, walk out to the village square carrying a lit torch and stand in one place, holding the torch still, for a hundred count. If that is the case, everyone is to stay in place and watch the village until full dark. Then, we all meet back on the Upsala road with Barak and Borygg. Jurri, you walk out to meet us, then you can tell us where Reike is. Then, we plan from there."

"If he isn't there, walk out village square and wave the torch in a broad arc. Everyone then comes in from all four directions at once and converges on Jurri and we will head up to the Daas clanhouse."

"Does that make sense to everyone?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:47 am

Jurri Grebel wrote:Jurri slows the tempo, but continues to pluck at the strings of the harp as he speaks,

"Now, Kugald, may I suggest that we block the escape routes before we allow ourselves to be seen? Some of the locals might be justifiably alarmed by your presence and either flee or fight. If Reike is here, t'would be best to surprise him. I have friends within. Let me walk in first and assess. I can then signal you to follow, be prepared for a fight, or whatever else you may instruct."

(has Barak returned yet?)

"I doubt we have any friends amongst Clan Gerbhert Jurri. Reike clearly saw through the ruse we tried last time or was warned by something seen heard or maybe even said. I doubt he was ever tricked by the claim about his messenger was arrested because he disputed Neirin being adopted into the Daas. Why not just cover the exits and knock on the door. If we knock and say we're here on the Jarl's business that will be suprise enough. What advantage we had in outright suprise we lost when he left during the night. Why put yourself in harms way and become a possible prisoner when there is little to be gained from the move? And I would still advise making sure we contact the Daas at the clanhouse of our plans, that way if the situation has changed we can also be informed".

Last edited by Algared on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Algared Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:50 am

"I am no strategist Cousin, but would it make sense to merely guard the exits to the Gerbhert clanhouse?'
Algared
Algared

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kugald Daas Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:09 am

Algared wrote:
"I am no strategist Cousin, but would it make sense to merely guard the exits to the Gerbhert clanhouse?"

"We would be seen coming into the village. However, it would make sense."

"Perhaps simpler is better. We know what problems have arisen when we have split up before."

"We wait 'till nightfall. We leave the horses hidden in the woods. We slip into the village quietly and surround the Gerherbt clanhouse. Jurri goes to the Daas clanhouse, tells them were here and finds out if Reike has returned or any other news. Then, he meets back up with us. If Reike is here, Thorin and I will knock on the door while the rest of you lie in wait in case he tries to escape, or we call for help."

"Simpler and miscommunications are less likely."

"A better plan?"

TTYL

- Kerry
Kugald Daas
Kugald Daas

Character sheet
Birthdate:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content