9 Peonu 720

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

9 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Mon May 03, 2010 2:58 am

Time: Beginning 1st watch - Mid 2nd watch

With Yael high in the sky Borygg returns to the shelter to wake Jurri.

Like the previous watchman Jurri wanders the camp to ensure all is well and then returns to the fire and its warmth. With the fire low and the embers starting cool Jurri places a few pieces of wood upon the fire to breathe new life into it. The extra warmth soon radiates its way out to Jurri.

The wind has dropped off a little but otherwise tonights weather remains largely unchanged.

Judging the time right by the glow of Yael from behind the clouds in the night sky Jurri returns to the shelter to wake Kugald for his turn on watch. Like the others Kugald wanders around the camp to ensure the safety and security of the campsite. He too places the the last of the wood upon the fire and stands nearby to enjoy its warmth which soon radiates through his body.

By this time Yael has since disappeared behind the crest of the western mountains bathing the forest in a new darkness. It is not long though before the eastern sky begins to lighten and by the middle of the 2nd watch there is enough light about for the warband to be woken and to prepare for the coming day.

With the warband awake each man goes about his morning routine in his own way. The wind now gusts from the north west, the sky remains cloudy but the clouds have lost their dark and grey demenour and have taken on the the thin wisps that look like new snow upon the ground, the temperature however, remains cold and looks to lower even further before it gets any better. The hunger in their bellies keeps the mood low this morning but the mood is lighten by the fact that each step west now brings them closer to home and closer to safety...
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Mon May 03, 2010 4:50 am

"Right, let's head out right away. We need to find some water to refill our waterskins and we need to find some food. I say we push on as hard as we safely can until early afternoon. Then, we stop and see what we can forage to feed us. We can't continue marching on an empty stomach. Lead on Barak."

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Mon May 03, 2010 5:41 am

Time: Mid 2nd watch -

The weather remains cold with the wind gusting from the north west and the sky remains cloudy. Gathering together your belongings you heft packs upon your backs once again and head west towards home.

The going is easy and the climbs and descents are not hard on your tiring legs and back. The terrain remains unchanged from yesterday as you push west.

Your warband crests a small rise and some 40-50 yards ahead of you and off to the right through the trees you can see a river about 30 yards across and descending the rise you are currently on you can see the road enters the river at a ford and then continues off to the west and is lost amid the canopy of the trees.

A group of men can be seen standing near the ford it seems that there are six men wearing various forms of armour - two appear to be wearing mail while three more are wearing quilt and the last seems to be wearing a leather jerkin of sorts. All are carrying spears and shields. They appear to be chatting amongst each other (nothing that you can hear from this range) while another man stands some 20' away while he seems to be watering the horses. Your best group estimate is that there are ten horses being watered.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Mon May 03, 2010 9:46 am

Upon seeing the Ford held by a mounted patrol, Algared wonders to himself "Will we try to take them? Or wait and hope they leave?"

Algared remembers when an Ibanvaal band attacked their party and how he cursed them as dishonourable. With the menglanian men suppossedly in Froyahiem swearing allegience This patrol likely the same size as the the other patrol they had seen meaning their are likely twelve men may mean they are charged with watching the ford against an attack from the west. If their heavily armoured band could quickly disable the mail clad warriors they may gain a victory.

Algared waits for the decision to either attack or wait.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 am

Barak motions the party back and down in to cover. Does it look like any of the guards spotted us?

"Do we attack them, wait to see if they move on, or try for another ford upstream."

"If we attack them we are outnumbered and they are as well equipped. We could also try to seize the horses and ride past the bridge guard. Waiting might give us the chance of foraging, especially if we pull back and leave just a scout here to watch. Looking for another ford is probably doomed to failure - with the locals likely to know about it as well - but it might avoid a fight."

"Where are the missing men?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm

"Only two appeared in mail, we can see seven so thats three missing based on the count of horse. We could shoot and charge them. They look to be resrting at present, and dismounted. Still even with suprise assuming you and Borryg can take out a man each with your first shots and even a another two thats still six men we'd have to fight, , I say fight but we know I'm our weakest warrior so I think my opinion should count for little. However we have two in mail and myself in plate and both Jurri and Borryg both have better just leather. Though it would be a valuable haul of loot if we were able to return with ten horses."

Algared looks to his cousin, Kugald, knowing in a melee fight if Barak and Borryg initally pepper the foe with arrows that he would take the brunt of the fighting. Would they be able to nutralise the foe? Incapacitate enough in their charge and volley to win the day. Algared pauses briefly in his thoughts and imagines an equally ferocious charge upon the seated figures winning the day and causing those caught by suprise to discard their weapons in surrender... but it all depends on the others of this band if their are ten horses there are three missing men. algared also recalls that previously they had seen mounted patrols he thought of consisting of a dozen men so does that mean that two are mounted and out of sight of the warband? Algared waits for Kugald to decide their course of action.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Mon May 03, 2010 7:09 pm

"Before we start peppering them with arrows, how do we know they are the Dagan's men and not a Menglana patrol?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Mon May 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Borygg will survey the situation and see if there is enough ground or tree cover to make it possible for someone to sneak up a bit closer.

Post by GM As the warband crested the hill it was not until Barak had started to descend the other side before he heard more than saw the men but with his attention focused on them he was able to get the information already given. The terrain allows you to see upto about 40 yards away. Of course this varies from spot to spot and there is no way that you will be able to predict where the long/short visual ranges will be (of course along the road will be an exemption). The ground cover consists of small patches of shin high grass and leaf and pine needle debris with the odd piece of fallen timber.

The tree cover is up higher and would offer you no concealment as you moved closer. It offers you some concealment now as you are up higher than them and you both have to peer around the various foilage. But at this time they do not appear to be looking for you.

Of course you are free to attempt to close the range to gather more info but there is no cover on the ground between your position and theirs.


"Barak's right, we may want to get more information before we act. Maybe I should try to sneak up there and get within hearing range. Maybe I can tell from their accents where they are from. What do you think?"
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Mon May 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Even though barak has moved the band back into the woods Algared still speaks in a whisper, 'Well, I'd assume the Dagan's men for several reasons Barak. First the size of the group appears to be the same as the mounted patrols we have already seen. second, they are on this side of the ford. If these were the Daas' men I'd expect them on the far side, so that they could take advantage of the ford which would slow any closing it. Third and finally though this is the weakest point and relys upon the second. The men we cannot see are likely their guard and they are I assume facing the ford. These men look to still be at camp either just finishing breaking their fast or about to break it, tis stil early.

Still, if we pull back and forage an spy them out, we may be able to steal past them or even nutralise them during the night."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Tue May 04, 2010 5:18 am

"Before we go shooting anyone, I agree, we need more information. They could be just watering their horses. We need to know if there is a camp, or are they being relieved in rotation from a nearby thran. What about at night? Do they stay?"

"We have no food, but I say we tighten our belts a little more and wait and watch."

"First, we need a rallying point in case we get separated. Let's pull back and find a spot where we can meet if we get separated. Then, I suggest that Barak and Borygg sneak up to within earshot of the guards, watch and listen for a while. If they have Ibanvaalese accents, we know they are the enemy. If they Menglanan accents, then we need to determine if they are friend or foe. Also, we need to watch and see what happens, at least for a watch or two."

"Right, let's fall back at least a quarter league to a rally point well off the road. Once we have an easily identified rally point, Algared, Jurri and I will do some foraging...further away from the guards. Barak and Borygg will scout the ford. We meet back at sun down. Agreed?"

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 am

"We should also be able to replenish our water futrther upstream. And I suggest Borryg and Barak also refill their water skins before attempting to get closer, though it doesn't appear they will be able to close enough to hear accents without being seen themselves, given the ground cover."
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Barak nods his head in agreement that they should fall back further, however once in a position where they can freely discuss plans he responds to Kugald's ideas
Kulgald wrote:"I suggest that Barak and Borygg sneak up to within earshot of the guards, watch and listen for a while"
I am not sure that plan is feasable. There is precious little ground cover and what there is is only calf-high. You'd have to crawl forward on your belly, which will mean taking armour off and leaving weapons behind, and even then you'd likely be spotted. With a deer I'd take the risk, but I am not so sure I'd want to with a half dozen armed warriors. If Borygg feels confident he can do it, I will cover him with my bow from the trees - at least if he is then spotted I can down the first couple of men after him and give us both a change to get away."

"Personally, I think it would be safer for all of us to march up in armour and armed with spear and shield, and just ask." He smiles ironically. "Though if I were to attack I would be tempted to just go for the man with the horses and deal with the ford guards when they come to challenge us."

"I agree that watching is a good thing... but I think we should do it lying down on the top of the crest, where we can be concealled by both the rise and the trees. We probably won't be able to tell their accent, unless one chooses to shout, but we will be able to see what they are up to, whether there are more men near by, and whether they just go away."
Kugald wrote:Algared, Jurri and I will do some foraging...
"Take care cousin. If Algarad is right and there are mounted men patrolling these woods, then if one of them finds you alone and off-guard then you won't srand a chance.]
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Wed May 05, 2010 3:04 am

"Good points cousin, that's why I ask. OK, let's move back out of sight."

Kugald moves back down the hill as quietly as possible.

TTYL

- Kerry
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Wed May 05, 2010 6:09 am

Withdrawing back over the crest your warband is able to put a bit of distance between you and the partol.

With a fleeting look back over the crest Barak sees that the situation seems to have remained unchanged, the six men still stand in a sort of circle while the lone figure is off with the horse watering them by the river.

Moving back down the slope, Borygg halts at the bottom of the descent and waits for the rest of the warriors to join him.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 pm

"If you like, I can find out who they are without revealing the rest of you. Tell me if this is acceptable:"

"I move some distance to either side, but within earshot of the men, and begin playing and singing. It's likely they will come to investigate, whoever they are, and you can observe their reactions. When they challenge me, they'll find a lone skald; I'll tell them I've been trying to find the mountain folk since I learned a few of their songs. At worst, they'll arrest me and I'll spend some time as their guest. If so, I'll tell them enough to discourage them from venturing too far your way and rejoin you later, hopefully in Daaslund. Who knows? With luck, they may even permit me to carry a message to Vulenheim. If they are Menglanan, I'll know and you can watch me for a signal so you know what to do."

"Really, I'm little use to you in these woods, and I'm not concerned about being killed by them if I'm alone. I'm in far more danger when I'm with the rest of you, because I'm no threat when I'm alone. So, if you need to know, maybe I can help. Have we any other way forward?"
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Thu May 06, 2010 1:46 am

"Kugald, I know you were only speaking out loud." says Barak in response to Kugald's barbed comment "And I meant no critism of you for voicing the plan, but nor do I want to try hiding behind a tuft of grass."

Barak listens to Jurri's idea "It sounds like a good plan Jurri" he responds "But, we'd have to watch you so that we could rescue you if needed. I would not be happy for you to be sacrificed just so that we could get home. Mind you if we were to fight them doing so with five men might make more sense that four."

"Talking of fighting, if we did approach them in armour and with weapons, they also would not know if we were friends or foe, so we'd be able to approach quite close before we could do anything even if they are Ibanvaal."

"Jurri, you could also use your strategem to split their guards. I doubt all their guards would leave the fort to investigate the singing, so if you were out of sight of the ford, we might be able to better the odds by either suprising those who go to you, or those that remain behind."

Barak turns back to Kugald "Anyway, you are the leader so you must decide. I am going back up to that crest of the slope to keep watch over the ford. You will be able to find me there. I will come back and report if the situation changes, for example they mount up and ride off".

If no one objects to him leaving, Barak will go back to the rise, leave his pack 15ft back from the crest, and crawl the last bit up to the crest such that he ends up lying down on the slope away from the ford, with only his head and sholders above the crest. He'll then keep careful watch of what goes on... looking to clues to their identity or any routine they might be following.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Thu May 06, 2010 3:11 am

"Jurri, if it is decided to attempt your plan, then I would ask for your safety that you return the note the Daas gave Kugald to be delivered to the Storzer. Remember it was hidden in your drum. But I also feel that your plan is both a blessing and a curse. While it is likely to work it is also true you may be arrested and we still may need to fight and that would mean we are further outnumbered. Also for you to take the risk, just so we can get home would keave a foul taste in my mouth. We get home together or not at all in my opinion."


Last edited by Algared on Fri May 07, 2010 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ick i noticed some really glaring typoese.)
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Kugald Daas on Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm

"Jurri, your idea sounds like a good one. We will stand by to help if anything go wrong."

"Let's give it a try."

TTYL

- Kerry

PS sorry for the short response, but I am at a conference and don't have time to write more.
avatar
Kugald Daas

Posts : 632
Join date : 2009-06-04
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 am

While sitting beyond the crest, Algared moves alittle away from his companions while he attempts to cast Chalsea's Sponge. Settling down he draws ensures his focus is in place and then creates the form of the spell that will hold the principle. Algared smiles as he rises knowing he has successfully recast the the spell, he then drinks a little water before checking everyones water skins, if they are empty he will will share what remains of his water skin amongst his companions.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 am

Jurri will provide the Daas' note to Kugald. (ooc: I forgot he even had it.)

"Very well, if Borygg or Barak wishes to select the most advantageous location, I will try to distract them, whether to split them up as Barak suggests, or merely to determine their identity. I will hold my drum with both hands or set it on the ground until I can tell whether they are Menglanan or Ibanvaaler. If Menglana, it will shift to my right arm; left if Ibanvaal. If they are clearly friends, I will touch my forehead."

"I will leave it to you how you wish to take advantage of the situation. Let me know when you are ready and I will begin."

Jurri will leave behind his spear, roundshield, and half-helm. He'll have his dagger, a handaxe, and his horseshoe.
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Algared on Fri May 07, 2010 5:01 am

As Jurri prepares to leave Algared checks his own equipment as he puts on all his armour, leaving his helm off for the moment. If they end up needing to fight Algared figures he will at least be as prepared as possible.

"If they are foes or things do not go as intended, what is the plan?" Algared asks before Jurri leaves.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Jurri Grebel on Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 am

"Improvise?" Jurri says, only half-jokingly.
avatar
Jurri Grebel

Posts : 425
Join date : 2009-06-04
Age : 50
Location : Austin, TX

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Borygg Raal on Fri May 07, 2010 6:28 am

OOC: Sorry, I've been unable to check the site for a few days.

Borygg is glad to hear Jurri's plan. Looking at the terrain, he knew (like Barak) that sneaking up for a listen was not going to be a successful plan. As it is, he'll wait with the others (armed and ready) to see the outcome of Jurri's efforts.
avatar
Borygg Raal

Posts : 409
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 52
Location : St. Louis

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat May 08, 2010 9:59 am

[OoC: I presume someone told Barak the plan. The positions of Juri and Barak are accounted for, where is everyone else?]

Barak makes sure that his shield and spear is at his side and then he knocks an arrow and draws his bow.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  GM on Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 pm

[OOC] I am working with the plan that both Barak and Borygg are on the crest of the rise watching the men by the river, Jurri is somewhere out of sight but near the river bank, Algared and Kugald are on the reverse slope not far from Barak and Borygg


Last edited by GM on Sun May 09, 2010 3:13 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 9 Peonu 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum