17 Saraju 720

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 am

Beginning 5th watch

The wind still blows steadily but it has shifted to the south east, with Nolomar now setting in the western sky the day begins to cool, however, the temperature remains warm enough for shirts to worn comfortably. The sky remains clear and thin fog is beginning to build near the river.

Barak and Algared leave the clanhouse. Heading out into the thranaal Cunate's lodgings are easily identified by his huscarls standing guard. Making their way towards the clanhouse they are stopped by Sweld Storzar stands watch at the clanhouse entrance "What business brings you here?" he asks matter of factly...

Meanwhile in the clanhouse the rest of the warband begin to sit back at a table near the hearth fire where they are provided with ale to quench their thirst after a dry hot day.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 am

"Greetings Sweld. Algared would like to discuss the arrangements for the Black Carrion with Cunate or Thaldris." replies Barak.
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 am

Sweld casts a quick look at Algared and a smirk appears on his face "Right now ourValhakar is concerning himself with preparing not only our force to march on the morrow but a caravan of refugees that will need the protection of those warriors, so unless the thran is burning down or there is plague running amok Cunate doesn't need to hear about it."

Sweld pauses for a moment before continuing "At the moment he is talking with Thaldirs and several others concerning the march tomorrow, he is then to see the Valhakar of clan Abder following that there is another discussion with someone from clan Grebel. The last thing on his mind right now are dead mercenaries!"
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Algared frowns slightly at the young Huscarls initial slight and once he has finished speaking says, while seeking to to offer no insult or slight in return, "I realise our Valhaker is planning our withdrawal and he is served admirably by his foster son who guards his entry. Svardkell newly appointed to my warband wished to know if arrangements had been made for his companions to recieve burial rites to ensure their passing into Talagaard was unhindered. But I realise I should have sought Bjarri since this is really a matter of faith and walking the Ljarl.

I had also hoped to see one Tersi or Madrin I have some parchments handed me from Svardkell with a script I do not recognise. But under the circumstances these will have to wait until we reach Ygesdram. Thankyou for you service to our Valhaker and for your time."

To Barak, Algared says, "It would appear that Swelde has provided the answers we sought regarding the Ravens. Let's not waste any more of Swelde's or our time." As the pair turn to leave he continues saying to Barak "will assist Svardkell in ensuring what arrangements as can be are taken care of, and I will see what aid I can give his companions. I would rather we carried what we can rather than leaving anything so he Dagaan's men loot the dead twice."





Last edited by Algared on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm

"Alagared we are fighting a retreat. I need to be able to use bow, or sword and spear, at a moments notice. I am not endangering my life, or the host, by being so loaded up with worn tunics that I can't draw my bow if we need to. If that gear needs to be carried then it needs to be carried within the main host. I think more realistically we should just try and take the valuables. However, I am not going to be party to the chests being smashed open with axes against the wishes of the surviving members of the Black Carrion. I had left the barracks by the time Svardkell came to agreement with the others, so I don't know what was agreed."

"I said I would seek Thaldris to see if he could get a force sent out to recover the bodies, but I doubted that anyone could be spared especially as we're leaving the thran tomorrow. It isn't something we can do. If the Ravens were wiped out by Dagen horsemen, they'd make mincemeat out of us. For their possessions, I'd suggest, if the Raven's are agreeable, we distribute the equipment amongst those who need it most in the host, with any easily portable valuables being kept to go back to their families. If Bjarri or a Priest was to carry these valuables then no one could accuse us of stealing them."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 pm

"Indeed Barak, and we are going to want you and Borryg unladen as possible so that your bows can be brought into use as quickly as possible. We came to see if arrangements had been made for the Raven's and we have our answer. With all that is going on there has not been time. I am not really comfortable in breaking open seventeen chests in the dead of night as we would need to do now, it seems more the work of theives and brigands... and that task would take us all night as well. I cannot see us performing well on a march of several days, when we are exhausted.

I think, we first need to distrubute our possessions to assist us in our task and and so enable you and Borryg to function at a moments notice with your bows.

As to the Raven's gear, I think you are right the best course would be to distribute it as need amongst the host if the remaining Ravens are agreeable. Equally it is not as though Abderhiem will be just open to looting. You remember when we captured that thran near Froyby, because they surrendered the Daas limited the looting. The Valhaker of this Thran intends, if I understand correctly, to offer no resistance and it seems feasible that similar honours of war will be made. Maybe we should trust in the Valhaker of Abderhiem.

As is I imagine by the law, the seven injured Raven have more claim to the chests of their fallen comrades than we do. If we are to open the chasts, it must be with the agreement of the Raven's and preferably with a priest supervising.. Especially now in the dark of night. And night is the problem for we morch on the morn, I doubt we really have time even to distrubute the goods, let alone sell the possessions.

If possible I would still prefer to try help the wounded recover... but first things first. We need to ensure our packs are ready and items redistributed to enable you and Borryg to function. And if time permits then we can look to the other things... but time is against us and tonight we need rest we may not have much for the next few days."


Last edited by Algared on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 pm

"I will carry my own gear" says Barak "The rest can wait until we get back to our clan house. But we seem to be in agreement on the principles."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 am

With Barak and Algared having returned from talking to Sweld they join their companions about a smouldering hearth fire. The coals glow red and orange amid a black mass. A pot sits suspended from a tripod over the coals, the contents of the pot indicate that a stew sits simmering. Other Daasmen sit about one end of the clanhouse keeping to themselves while your warband plan.

Less than a quarter watch later with Nolomar now set behind the western horizon and only the feintest of light left to illuminate the darkness there is knock on your clanhouse door. The door is opened by the widow Haal, four men burst through the door without so much as "Come in" being offered.

Sweld leads three other men, on entering the clanhouse he approaches your warband "We want in" he declares openly...
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 am

Barak looks suprised and then puzzled by the unusual entrance. "Sit down. There is plenty of room around the fire.". He gestures for them to sit and gives them the chance to do so. "So you want to join our warband, do you? Does Cunate know of this Sweld...?"
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:45 am

Algared was in the process of explaining that it seemed Barak and he had been unable to see either the Daas or Thaldirs, as they were busy planning the withdrawal and that it appeared that with the preparations for the refugees and host to withdraw within a few hours that no preparations had been able to be made for the fallen Ravens and that sorting through the chests in the dead of night seemed more the work of thieves and looters regardless of their desired goal and thus they would need one of the priests to assist them and thus protect their honour. He was about to suggest that they should also speak with the Haal clan and hopefully arrange for them to gather and bury the fallen Raven's (of course they would need compensation for the taking on the task) when Swlede and his companions enter.

Algared looked up when the four men burst through the door and seeing the urgency and rudeness of their entrance was half expecting as Swelde moved towards the wardband that he was about to be summoned to the Daas the earlier request having been heard. Swelde's statement however initally caught Algared off guard but with Barak's quick response and invitation to sit he imagined he knew what was on Swelde's mind and nodded inviting them to join the group.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 pm

"Who are these men? What do they want "in" on?"
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:26 am

Sweld looks to each of his companions and with a nod to Barak takes a seat with your warband while the other three men remain standing. "You have loot that you do not want to leave for the Dagen's men, we will aid you in carrying what we can back with us to Ygesdram and in doing so claim that which we carry as our share, surely you do not object to the friends and allies of your clansman taking their share of the booty too" Sweld says.

It appears that the other men in the clanhouse have heard what is being discussed and move closer to listen in.
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:53 am

Algared replies to Svardkell’s question first saying. "Svardkell, this is Sweld Storzer, one of Erling Storzar’s sons and a member of Our Valhaker’s Huscarls.” Turning to Sweld, Algared replies.

Then noticing the other Daasmen drawing nearer and listening, hhe continues, “What we have is a desire to ensure that fallen allies are treated respectfully according to the customs of our faith and the Ljarl as you know from our request to see either our Valhaker or Thaldirs. If there is booty to be shared I do not object to friends and allies sharing in it.

My concern is our allies who fell in battle, having answered the call from the colonies in Orbaal to defend to defend Storzarlund receive just and right treatment also. Svardkell here is one of the last of a company who arrived with companions to assist in our struggle. Seven of his companions are recovering from wounds received in the siege, the remainder of the company fell today. Your help in finding a solution that honours the loyalty of those men who have fallen in battle today and giving aid to injured allies that allows us to walk the Ljarl with honour would be welcome.“
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:27 am

"Sweld remember that you are a huscarl of clan Daas. Unless you have left Cunate's service you first duty is to him and the clan." says Barak.

"Let me speak plainly to you. There is not loot to be had. There are seventeen chests of the possessions of the Black Carrion who fell recently in battle. These are claimed by the surviving Ravens as theirs. The Black Carrion were in service to clan Daas and hence the clan has a duty to protect them. As huscarls to the Daas you have a duty to protect them."

"The Ravens want these possessions to be sold so that the coin can be sent to the dead men's families. We don't want these possessions to fall in to the hands of the Dagen. So removing these chests to Ygresdram serves the interests of the Ravens, helps us prevent the Dagen profiting from them further, and up holds the honour of the clan Daas and those that serve it."

"If you want to help carry these chests to Ygresdram, and your duty to Cunate allows it, then I will welcome your assistance. Though you will want thirty four men and not four. But there is no question of what you carry becoming yours. The possession belong to the Black Carrion as long as they survive, and their wealth is to go to their families."

Casting his voice to be heard by the assembled clans men he finishes by saying:"If you have left the service of Cunate and are no longer a huscarl then you are welcome to join are band; as are all strong or skilled men or women who wish to join us. We will be fighting over the next few days to defeat the Dagen and ensure those who want to be free of Ibanvaal enslavement reach the safety of Ygresdram."


Last edited by Barak Daas on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Svardkell had crossed his large arms across his chest but now relaxes and uncrosses them.

"Thank you Algared and Barak for your introduction and your explanation of the situation. I think you saved us from some unecessary violence." says Svardkell as he eases his stare back a bit from Sweld.
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:40 am

Sweld looks at Svardkell "there was not going to be any unnecessary voilence" then turning his attentions back to Barak "how do you know where to send these carrions possessions too?" he asks
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 am

"That I don't know" replies Barak "Svardkell will know of some, and I am sure the seven wounded survivors will know of more. Unfortunately they seem to weak to be moved when we leave on the morrow. I have no doubt that some families will not be known and so there will be coin which can not be returned. But that is a problem for Ygresdram. We will not be dealing with loot, just with some unclaimed funds. How they are to be distributed does not need to be decided now."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Algared on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 am

Following Barak's answer Algared adds "The contents of this scroll case may also include the muster details for the unit, but the papers are not written in the runic script. I had hoped that Tersi would have been familiar with this script. They can be deciphered by our Valhaker's scribes or Zeuol a scribe with your father once we return to Ygesdram.” Algared hands the scroll case back to Svardkell.
avatar
Algared

Posts : 1567
Join date : 2009-06-06
Age : 51
Location : Sydney

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 am

Svardkell accepts the scroll case from Algared.

"Each chest should contain a note that explains who and where to send the belongings or coin to."
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:10 am

"But all this matters not. The chests will be staying here when we leave tomorrow, since we do not have the the men to carry them. Even if we did have the men, I doubt that their contents are worth the carrying of them. Its not like they are filled with a king's treasury."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Svardkell stands up abruptly and bangs a fist on the table.

"I understand that, but don't trivialize these men's lives and possessions. These men were my friends and shieldbrothers. We should get someone to move the chests or hide them at least so the Daagen won't find them."
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Barak Daas on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Barak turns to Svardkell "So what do you plan to do about the chests? Only a short time ago you were willing to smash them open with an axe. If they are to be carried, it will need two men each to do it. So that is thirty-four men you need to find. Sweld and his three leaves you with thirty. I am not sure most clans men will be any more willing to carry them that many leagues without reward than Sweld is. As for hiding them, everyone in this thran will know where they are. Seventeen sea chests can't be hidden in the thatch of a clan house roof. It seems to me you either need a Valhakar's support - and ours is too busy to see us - or a cart or boat. I am happy to help you to find these, but not tonight. And we won't have long in the morning before we leave. Any one with a cart or boat is likely to want a large payment there are many people with possessions they want to take from here."
avatar
Barak Daas

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Letchworth, UK

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  GM on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Sweld has remained silent during this discusssion while rubbing his chin he finally reenters the conversation "Svardkell, formerly of the Carrion, I put this to you. I can arrange for the contents of the chests to be taken to Ygesdram, there I will take such value from each chest as I deem fair for the costs of transportation and other expenses. What is left I shall have sold for the best price that can be bartered and the resulting coin made into a promissary note to be sent with best speed to the families of your shieldbrothers!"

Sweld lets his idea sit for a moment before adding "What say you?"
avatar
GM
GM

Posts : 2528
Join date : 2008-08-02

View user profile http://menglana.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Svardkell Holg on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 am

"I say that I have misjudged you and for that I am sorry. You will have my gratitude, my thanks, and I will be in your debt."

Saying this, Svardkell walks up to Sweld and places his hand out waiting for Sweld to accept his handshake.
avatar
Svardkell Holg

Posts : 141
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Connecticut, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Bjarni Daasen on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 am

Bjarni watches the exchange with some amusement. He shrugs and says "Easy come, easy go."

To Svardkell he says "Svardkell, you came her by ship. Did it belong to Stee and and where is it now?"
avatar
Bjarni Daasen

Posts : 837
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 57
Location : -39.863904,175.288741 Google Maps Coords.

Character sheet
Birthdate:
Occupation:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 17 Saraju 720

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum